[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Where are last year's Knicks?
Author Thread
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
11/13/2021  3:13 AM
What's going on ? Last season I remember Randle not being the best at passing with the turnovers, I remember us not being able to buy a bucket to save our lives when we need it most, I remember no creativity in our offense. But I also remember us hanging tight with the best teams in the league even on nights when we shot like crap rarely were we outclassed.

This year it seems like we can only win if we shoot %50 from three. Our D is no longer able to carry us. Frustrating.

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/13/2021  5:20 AM
This is a great question.

I did say many times we caught lightening in a bottle last year with some of the performances we got out of players and we might take a step back if we kept many of the pieces from last year’s roster.

I’d also say part of the problem is with Thibs style- he gets guys to over achieve and you can only sustain that for so long before mentally, guys have to take a break.

blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/13/2021  7:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/13/2021  8:01 AM
ramtour420 wrote:What's going on ? Last season I remember Randle not being the best at passing with the turnovers, I remember us not being able to buy a bucket to save our lives when we need it most, I remember no creativity in our offense. But I also remember us hanging tight with the best teams in the league even on nights when we shot like crap rarely were we outclassed.

This year it seems like we can only win if we shoot %50 from three. Our D is no longer able to carry us. Frustrating.

Bullock doesn’t need to pound the rock to score and he was guarding the best player. EF needs to pound the rock to score and he can’t guard average to above average players.

Payton is a defensive guard that finishes at the rim. Kemba is older and smaller. So scoring in the paint is not his strength. Plus Payton is a better defender.

I think Payton and Bullocks exit hurts us more than you think. We should’ve kept bullock in the starting unit instead of adding EF. And instead of Kemba, we should’ve added a penetrating guard or turn the keys over to IQ with Rose and McBride as thevbackups.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Start IQ or Rose and sit Kemba. It’s worth a look. Rose starting in the playoffs wasn’t the problem. It was the extra mins he got that hurt him. Rose and IQ are play making guards that can shoot and score in the paint. Kemba at this stage in his career is better as a catch and shoot guard when he’s on. When he’s off, he doesn’t shoot u out of the game, but he’s still a threat and will help keep defense honest. So Kemba will not mess up the 2nd chemistry. RJ and Randle would…they are alpha dogs. EF wouldn’t hurt the second unit…I think he would play better with Rose. But then it looks bad on the FO if u did that. Start Rose or IQ and send Kemba to the pine.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/13/2021  8:38 AM
Last years knicks took time to come together. If your disappointed its exuberant expectations.
Expecting 50+ wins vs it happening is a different vibe. Who raised the bar? Not vegas or the hating media.
Its the “Bing Bong” hype.
Maybe it happens and maybe it don’t. We tune in to watch an athletic contest with drama or just to see our team win?
Its entertainment or an emotional release of the suppressed anxiety of daily life that our jobs, marriages and kids bring us and if we lose, well its just another reminder of less than perfect existence of life that one can’t control so we implore change in the roster while we rarely do such things ourselves as we afraid to leave our comfort zone, even if we are not happy.

So what can it hurt by bringing in Grimes and even McBride for that matter. Too bad life is not summer league. so easy.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/13/2021  10:07 AM
Last years Knicks played in an abnormal season that we never saw before and may never see again. No fans in the stands, multiple teams dealing with a revolving door of players in and out the line-up due to covid issues. Most of these teams never being able to gain any cohesion or rhythm. One team (Toronto) playing in Florida....We were one of the fortunate teams that didn't have any major injuries or severe covid issues...We also had the new coach, new management smell.

For those still clamoring for Payton and Bullock, keep in mind, we were 11-13 when we traded for Rose. And before Thibs finally pulled Payton from the lineup in the playoffs, he was getting benched, regularly, in the 4th quarter when the game was on the line down the stretch of the season.

Speaking of abnormal seasons, Randle had a career year last year. A career 32% 3pt shooter shot 41% last year. Does anyone honestly think he will repeat that performance? Randle is a career 48% shooter from the field, and while I didn't watch him much with the Lakers and Pelicans, based on those rosters, it's obvious he wasn't a 1st or 2nd option. He didn't face double teams, and I am pretty sure he took more efficient shots, particularly in the paint. He averaged 10 shots per with the Lakers and he took 15 with the Pels playing with Anthony Davis and Rondo.

Last year was Randle's lowest FG % (45%) since his second year in the league, despite shooting 41% from 3. As a #1 option, he takes a ton of inefficient shots every game. Those baseline fallaways are the worse. To be fair to Randle, he's not good enough to be a #1 option on a team that can consistently advance deep into the playoffs on a year-to-year basis. I thought we should have sold-high and moved Randle this summer. But, with Thibs on the sideline, there was no way that was going to happen.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/13/2021  10:15 AM
Uptown wrote:Last years Knicks played in an abnormal season that we never saw before and may never see again. No fans in the stands, multiple teams dealing with a revolving door of players in and out the line-up due to covid issues. Most of these teams never being able to gain any cohesion or rhythm. One team (Toronto) playing in Florida....We were one of the fortunate teams that didn't have any major injuries or severe covid issues...We also had the new coach, new management smell.

For those still clamoring for Payton and Bullock, keep in mind, we were 11-13 when we traded for Rose. And before Thibs finally pulled Payton from the lineup in the playoffs, he was getting benched, regularly, in the 4th quarter when the game was on the line down the stretch of the season.

Speaking of abnormal seasons, Randle had a career year last year. A career 32% 3pt shooter shot 41% last year. Does anyone honestly think he will repeat that performance? Randle is a career 48% shooter from the field, and while I didn't watch him much with the Lakers and Pelicans, based on those rosters, it's obvious he wasn't a 1st or 2nd option. He didn't face double teams, and I am pretty sure he took more efficient shots, particularly in the paint. He averaged 10 shots per with the Lakers and he took 15 with the Pels playing with Anthony Davis and Rondo.

Last year was Randle's lowest FG % (45%) since his second year in the league, despite shooting 41% from 3. As a #1 option, he takes a ton of inefficient shots every game. Those baseline fallaways are the worse. To be fair to Randle, he's not good enough to be a #1 option on a team that can consistently advance deep into the playoffs on a year-to-year basis. I thought we should have sold-high and moved Randle this summer. But, with Thibs on the sideline, there was no way that was going to happen.

Good post. Youre 100% on about Randles efficiency drop--he doent have to take so many bad shots. Id almost rather play Randle at center.

RIP Crushalot😞
Jimbo5
Member: #8854

11/13/2021  10:53 AM
The team's defense has taken a big hit. In theory adding Kemba and Evan will greatly improve the teams offense, some might say it should improve more than the expected dip in the other end of the court. The bad thing is, the starting 5 hasnt had a good offensive outing all at once.

I know this will never happen, for the next 10 game, Thibs gives both Kemba and Evan time off to reset. Elevate Rose and burks as the starters and give McBride a chance to back up Rose and let Grimes take the minutes of Burks' back up minutes. Im curious to know if this gamble can pay off. The starting 5 is struggling, maybe a tweek in the line up is due.

It's still a long season, the knicks can still turn things around, i have a feeling the real games of both Kemba and Evan will show up on their second year in the team. Remenber, a few years back the knicks signed a talented player that stunk on his 1st year with the team but turned things around to be a difference maker last year. Can both Kemba and even emutate that?

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
11/13/2021  10:54 AM
Last years team was 5-8 through the first 13 games and was on a 5 game losing streak.
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
11/13/2021  11:15 AM
blkexec wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:What's going on ? Last season I remember Randle not being the best at passing with the turnovers, I remember us not being able to buy a bucket to save our lives when we need it most, I remember no creativity in our offense. But I also remember us hanging tight with the best teams in the league even on nights when we shot like crap rarely were we outclassed.

Bullock doesn’t need to pound the rock to score and he was guarding the best player. EF needs to pound the rock to score and he can’t guard average to above average players.

Payton is a defensive guard that finishes at the rim. Kemba is older and smaller. So scoring in the paint is not his strength. Plus Payton is a better defender.

I think Payton and Bullocks exit hurts us more than you think. We should’ve kept bullock in the starting unit instead of adding EF. And instead of Kemba, we should’ve added a penetrating guard or turn the keys over to IQ with Rose and McBride as thevbackups.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Start IQ or Rose and sit Kemba. It’s worth a look. Rose starting in the playoffs wasn’t the problem. It was the extra mins he got that hurt him. Rose and IQ are play making guards that can shoot and score in the paint. Kemba at this stage in his career is better as a catch and shoot guard when he’s on. When he’s off, he doesn’t shoot u out of the game, but he’s still a threat and will help keep defense honest. So Kemba will not mess up the 2nd chemistry. RJ and Randle would…they are alpha dogs. EF wouldn’t hurt the second unit…I think he would play better with Rose. But then it looks bad on the FO if u did that. Start Rose or IQ and send Kemba to the pine.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I agree we would have been better off not signing Walker and Fournier, keeping Bullock, and giving more playing time to Grimes and IQ. I know for a fact our defense would have been better with those players, and I think Grimes could be a 10-12 point scorer if given 20 minutes a game. At this point, Thibs should give the starters like 10 more games to try to figure this out. If no improvement, then you have to put Walker and Fournier on the bench and give Grimes some minutes.

Trust the Process
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/13/2021  11:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/13/2021  11:19 AM
Kemba and Evan are a part of the problem, but this is bigger than just 2 new starters added to the lineup...

TPercy
Member: #5748

11/13/2021  12:02 PM
Uptown wrote:Kemba and Evan are a part of the problem, but this is bigger than just 2 new starters added to the lineup...

Its like the lack of effort on the perimeter just infects everyone.
The Future is Bright!
CanItGetAnyWorse
Member: #8906

11/13/2021  12:03 PM
Last season was over achieving and defensive oriented. I wonder how it is for them the 2nd time around?
At guard we we've gone from Elfrid (played ok defense but couldn't shoot) to Kemba - great scorer on paper, but looks finished after a quarter of play and essentially plays no defense.
We went from 3D Bullock to 3 level scorer Fournier (we thought.) I think Kemba is a bigger problem as he can't really play any defense.
We need to move IQ to the starting lineup and have Deuce and/or Grimes replace him in the 2nd unit. We will be better off doing it sooner rather than later.

I think the problem really comes down to Julius "I think I'm Mamba" Randle killing ball movement this year but excelling at it during empty arena's last year.
We saw it showing up as the fans started to come back last year. Verified this year. I think when he hears the fans he goes to his false Mamba mentality. I don't hate Julius, but I think we are getting to see who he is.

Everyone is seeing (on a nightly basis) that Obi might turn into something special. He doesn't have Randles skill (yet) but he knows how to pass the ball and he is good on defense, as is Randle - usually. Obi is a team player. Julius, I don't think he will change but he gives us hope often enough. He seem's moody out there though.

I feel almost embarrassed with my prediction of 55 or so wins this year. I was tricked by the early success of Julius, Kemba and Fournier.
My worry was always Kemba and Fournier's defense but as many here thought, our offense would more than compensate for it. Now and going forward? I'm gonna say know, but time will Tell as Thibs isn't going to change anything. You know what is interesting re Thibs and Payton last year? Thibs waited so long to remove Elfrid that by the time he did, the damage was beyond fixable, no chance of even a backup role. If the starters keep playing this bad and Thibs doesn't make changes, it is going to get embarrassing for the team again.

We should have signed Dennis Schroeder or Lonzo Ball instead of Kemba. Many wanted that. But Kemba was such a "good deal" at the time. Low risk.
We should have went for more of a 2 way player than Fournier, there were a couple, but at least he can eventually come off the bench. I have faith in Grimes as an eventual starting 2 way SG or wing though, so I'm not too worried about Fournier.

And then there is Thibs - it is going to take a really long time to see what we have with his slow slow adjustments. I just wonder what damage will be done. We still all have that sour taste in our mouth of Elfrid starting all of last year. Would love to see Kemba's minutes halved and the young guys start seeing some with the 2nd unit.

knicks1248
Member: #582
11/13/2021  3:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/13/2021  3:50 PM
You guys keep talking about the absence of Bullock and Payton..

Randle and Mitch is a horrible mix on both sides of the ball, it didn't work under Fizdale, and it wasn't working the beginning of last season, they don't compliment each other at all, they are too fckn slow and the spacing is retarded.

When teams start running and picking up the pace swinging the ball on the perimeter, you can bet your last dollar that Randle or mitch will be late as hell on a rotation leaving guys wide open for 3's time after time

Fournier and RJ doesn't work either, I see better chemistry with Fournier and Randle than I do with Randle and RJ. In fact Fournier and Rj barely communicate on the court.

The starting 5 is way too slow, they looked forced, confused, and don't compliment each other.

Bullock had a super quick release on his shot and always rotated to the open spot beyond the arc.

Fournier doesn't have the quick release and it's easier to close out on him and force him to put the ball on the floor, he maybe more savvy on offense, but he lacks the speed bullocks had on both ends.

ES
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
11/13/2021  4:34 PM
The heart of that team’s defense is out with a sprained knee.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/13/2021  4:41 PM
knicks1248 wrote:You guys keep talking about the absence of Bullock and Payton..

Randle and Mitch is a horrible mix on both sides of the ball, it didn't work under Fizdale, and it wasn't working the beginning of last season, they don't compliment each other at all, they are too fckn slow and the spacing is retarded.

When teams start running and picking up the pace swinging the ball on the perimeter, you can bet your last dollar that Randle or mitch will be late as hell on a rotation leaving guys wide open for 3's time after time

Fournier and RJ doesn't work either, I see better chemistry with Fournier and Randle than I do with Randle and RJ. In fact Fournier and Rj barely communicate on the court.

The starting 5 is way too slow, they looked forced, confused, and don't compliment each other.

Bullock had a super quick release on his shot and always rotated to the open spot beyond the arc.

Fournier doesn't have the quick release and it's easier to close out on him and force him to put the ball on the floor, he maybe more savvy on offense, but he lacks the speed bullocks had on both ends.

I think the issue with Mitch is he is hurt and not in shape. I would not be surprised if he had some undiagnosed metabolic issue or some other medical issue. I think it's also fair to question how competitive he is overall. The Mitch from the last two years was blocking 3pt attempts - he had no problem closing out. He simply isn't right.

ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
11/13/2021  7:36 PM
TPercy wrote:
Uptown wrote:Kemba and Evan are a part of the problem, but this is bigger than just 2 new starters added to the lineup...

Its like the lack of effort on the perimeter just infects everyone.

This. Our D was elite last year. This year our starting lineup has the worst defensive rating in the league history? It's hard to wrap my head around such a juxtaposition. I mean neither Bullock nor Elf are All- defensive first or even 2-nd team. They are not elite defenders, yes leaps and bounds better than Walker and EF but the degree to which this drop-off in D occured ... I don't get it, maybe Mitch is slower with the added weight, maybe they don't communicate as well as they used to, maybe the D will improve as the season progresses.. Maybe at least one guard in the staying lineup needs to play above average defense? Maybe give it more time. I am not sure what the solution is
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/13/2021  7:44 PM
knicks1248 wrote:You guys keep talking about the absence of Bullock and Payton..

I think the problem with Fournier is just that he's streaky, nothing to do with his release. As quick as Bullock's release was, neutralized by Trae Young. Fournier is harder to guard because he can relocate if you rush him off the line. But the offense isn't the concern. Your right that Bullock was smart recognizing defensive rotations and disciplined. I would've signed him over Burks if the opportunity presented itself. We already had scoring combo guards and legit 3&D guys are hard to find.. That said,Reggie made his choice and this is the team we have.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
blkexec
Member: #748
11/13/2021  8:43 PM
Last year Randle was the only alpha dog on the team. This year, we added 2 players to the starting lineup, who was alpha dogs for their previous teams. EF was also paid like an alpha dog and Kemba is back home ready to play like his old self. On top of that, RJ is growing in an alpha role type player and said he wants to guard the top players. So that leaves Randle in an ark ward position. And right now he’s not handling the change very well. I’m sure he’s putting all this pressure on his shoulders to lead this team and Randle is still learning how to be the #1 option. So this starting unit is new vs last year. The only consistent theme from last year is the 2nd unit. And take a guess which unit has the highest efficiency rating and which has the lowest.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/13/2021  10:41 PM
blkexec wrote:Last year Randle was the only alpha dog on the team. This year, we added 2 players to the starting lineup, who was alpha dogs for their previous teams. EF was also paid like an alpha dog and Kemba is back home ready to play like his old self. On top of that, RJ is growing in an alpha role type player and said he wants to guard the top players. So that leaves Randle in an ark ward position. And right now he’s not handling the change very well. I’m sure he’s putting all this pressure on his shoulders to lead this team and Randle is still learning how to be the #1 option. So this starting unit is new vs last year. The only consistent theme from last year is the 2nd unit. And take a guess which unit has the highest efficiency rating and which has the lowest.

Yup, this is part of the chemistry issue the starting 5 has, no one really knows their role

Randle......I'm an All star
Fournier....I'm the Big FA signing
RJ..........Im the future
kemba.......I'm not trying step on no Toes
Mitch.......why are they even starting me

ES
Kemet
Member: #6148

11/14/2021  1:11 AM

Wow! Salute! Both your post are 100% .. Old Man Thibs are still over playing players, and lineups.
Not Good!
And last season no FANS in the stadium also played a big-part in our success .. The next Knicks game at MSG, the Obi-fan base are gonna scream to the ceiling "Obi Toppin", every time Randle miss a shot or while he make his usual turn-overs.

Where are last year's Knicks?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy