[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Tom T needs to step up 2
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/9/2021  1:11 PM
Our Centers can't or won't guard the perimeter....

When screens happen and the ball swings, you will see us double or trap ball handlers, if that ball handler manages to pass that ball right before the trap, someone is going to get an open 3, and are bigs are not quick enough to race out and challenge the shot.

What we miss about bullock and payton was their speed to challenge perimeter shots

ES
AUTOADVERT
foosballnick
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3148

11/9/2021  1:29 PM
Nalod wrote:
franco12 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
TheGame wrote:Thibbs needs to tell Randle to focus on lowering his turnovers and moving the ball. Too much iso. As far as Obi, I agree that he probably needs 20-25 minutes and a good chunk should come from Randle. Play Randle 30 minutes, give Obi 18 minutes there and 3-7 minutes at PF with Randle playing center.

Also, Walker and Fournier have to up their defensive intensity. Not much Thibs can do other than sit them when they don’t bring it.

Hard to that when you don't exactly have Ron Artest or Bruce Bowen on the bench.

wish we still had Moe Harkless. Felt we should have found a way to keep him.

I know we're struggling to find Obi minutes - but I felt Moe was that Defense Glue Role Player with a bigger impact than stats show that helps win games.

Whose minutes doe we take? RJ? Burkes?
Is the individual talent the issue or our defensive schematic? We have one loose string on defense and it looks bad but what is the switch or the passing lane that is vulnerable that we are not executing? Im asking as a fan becuase I assume our team of coaches understand the issue.
I’ll take a small stab: Elf Payton length was a nice asset in our defense and I’ll guess covers it better than Kemba. Rose visually is a good defender but we all know the play that teams run against us (seems like its all game) that gets us out of position and leaves guys that can hit wide open. So what is leading up to that space? How are they freeing up that guy and THATS how you cover it. Making a trade won’t fix it.
I’ll guess again that Evan is not making early reads. Maybe he gets it later in the season instinctively. Maybe Walker gets lost?
We are seeing the symptom of that missed coverage. Having rim protectors NOT leave the paint is part of the issue and teams are taking advantage of it. And if they do they will open up or easy baskets elsewhere.
its not the corner three, its the long wing/elbow shot. Thats a harder shot than the corner. We are getting killed. Danny Green and the Turkish kid were all lining up on it.

Yet, we still won. Im not a chaulk board ex coach kind of fan but I know it exists and the team knows the issue. They might know how to stop it but execution is a differnt animal. Trades to fix every problem is rarely a cure.
We judge Kemba by his offense but he might not be up to the task of defending. Evan might give us indidual effort but he has to acclimate to what Thibs wants. That MIGHT be an issue 11 games in. IQ? McBride has great one on one defenseive skills, but how is he at switching? Think teams won’t test him on that?

Bottom line. At the moment our defense is not executing. Does that mean trades? Practice? Make some adjustments? Keep practicing it? Its inconsistant. seems a team has have an unheralded shooter career day to beat us. Maybe for now we live with that. We 7-4. That not to say we can for the rest of the season.

I'm hoping Kemba is just shaking off some rust, but IMO his defense so far has been a pretty big issue impacting overall rotations and open looks beyond the arc by opponents. He can help make up for some of this by being more dynamic on offense in terms of penetration - but so far he's been tentative in that regard as well. It's still early, so I'm hoping its just getting to know a new team & player mix.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/9/2021  2:56 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Our Centers can't or won't guard the perimeter....

When screens happen and the ball swings, you will see us double or trap ball handlers, if that ball handler manages to pass that ball right before the trap, someone is going to get an open 3, and are bigs are not quick enough to race out and challenge the shot.

What we miss about bullock and payton was their speed to challenge perimeter shots

Your not far off but need to look into centers leaving their assignment and rushing to defend the 3. Its not what you think. I know you have a hard on for Mitch, but its not as common a thing as you might think.

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/9/2021  4:01 PM

Are you guys confusing Elfrid Payton with Gary Payton? Serious question.

Nalod
USA
11/9/2021  11:33 PM
Philc1 wrote:

He started 63 of 71 games. Are you confused he did not contribute? He was there before rose, He was there unless he was out or at the end he faded fast. But he was part of our success last year.

NYKMentality
Member: #4385

11/10/2021  1:23 AM
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He started 63 of 71 games. Are you confused he did not contribute? He was there before rose, He was there unless he was out or at the end he faded fast. But he was part of our success last year.

You're seriously talking up Elfrid Payton?

How much has Elfrid Payton improved his new team? What type of impact is he making?

He stinks.

We're 7-4 without him and in 2019-2020 our Defense stunk with him too. Before Thibs. He never impacted. Defense my ass coach Thibs is the Defensive guru who led us to the playoffs as a 4th seed and will lead us to the playoffs as reigning Coach of the Year this year too. Elfrid Payton? Funny.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/10/2021  8:34 AM
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

How much has Elfrid Payton improved his new team? What type of impact is he making?

He stinks.

We're 7-4 without him and in 2019-2020 our Defense stunk with him too. Before Thibs. He never impacted. Defense my ass coach Thibs is the Defensive guru who led us to the playoffs as a 4th seed and will lead us to the playoffs as reigning Coach of the Year this year too. Elfrid Payton? Funny.

Yes, Elfrid Payton. You didn't like him but you don't have to, the stats say a different story than your heart. Just like Bullock, who had never been an eye popping defender EVER, Elf did his small part when he could.

Here is 2 minutes of Google for me:

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2021/sort/DRPM/position/1

2020-21 Real Plus-Minus - Point Guards
RK NAME TEAM GP MPG ORPM ^DRPM RPM WINS
1 Mike Conley UTAH 51 29.4 1.25 3.12 4.37 8.28
2 Jamal Murray DEN 48 35.5 0.41 3.07 3.48 8.04
3 Chris Paul PHX 70 31.4 0.48 3.06 3.54 10.78
4 Elfrid Payton NY 63 23.6 -4.08 2.50 -1.58 0.48
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
11/10/2021  12:24 PM
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

Im sorry if you like to cherry pick the skittles you like and ignore the rest.
The entirety of last season as you like to spazz out on and some how cheer "its even better now" included a player that started the vast majority of those games. YOu like to with great frequency and redundancy correlate that because our start this is better than last, we are a top one or two seed. Most of us like dudes who are positive. But after a while your ignoring some things. Like Elf's defensive ability.
I don't give a rats ass about PHX and his input or not. Im not following his minutes and I understand they were pretty darn good last year without him. Perhaps your not reading into the issues this year and magically think it works out as we did last year.
But Kemba is not defensively as good as Elf. So if you baffled was to whats going on, you might just consider the FACTS. Its not saying we can't compete in otherways. We are a better team. But if we talking defense its part of the equation.
We all agree Thibs took basically the same team year to year and improved it. He used the assets in place better. Bullocks got his grove back after his neck injury and Randle really rose up. Elf was a good defensive player all along. Nobody is crying to bring him back. We all want Kemba to keep doing well. But our defense inconsistent. If we are to be that elite team you paint to us it has to tighten up.
Other than 1248 there is not a fan here that is not thrilled with our start even with injuries and inconsistencies.
Elf was the PG that helped Thibs be COTY. Will he again have that honor? Just becuase you type it don't make it. The games have to tell the story, not your incessant propaganda.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

11/10/2021  12:40 PM
Nalod wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

The entirety of last season as you like to spazz out on and some how cheer "its even better now" included a player that started the vast majority of those games. YOu like to with great frequency and redundancy correlate that because our start this is better than last, we are a top one or two seed. Most of us like dudes who are positive. But after a while your ignoring some things. Like Elf's defensive ability.
I don't give a rats ass about PHX and his input or not. Im not following his minutes and I understand they were pretty darn good last year without him. Perhaps your not reading into the issues this year and magically think it works out as we did last year.
But Kemba is not defensively as good as Elf. So if you baffled was to whats going on, you might just consider the FACTS. Its not saying we can't compete in otherways. We are a better team. But if we talking defense its part of the equation.
We all agree Thibs took basically the same team year to year and improved it. He used the assets in place better. Bullocks got his grove back after his neck injury and Randle really rose up. Elf was a good defensive player all along. Nobody is crying to bring him back. We all want Kemba to keep doing well. But our defense inconsistent. If we are to be that elite team you paint to us it has to tighten up.
Other than 1248 there is not a fan here that is not thrilled with our start even with injuries and inconsistencies.
Elf was the PG that helped Thibs be COTY. Will he again have that honor? Just becuase you type it don't make it. The games have to tell the story, not your incessant propaganda.

It's all about cherry picking Skittles. Among other things, last season was the year of Payton Hate. Designated whipping boy. Nothing positive can be said to go with the extreme focus on his shortcomings (see also "Phil Jackson"). This year among other things is the year of whining about our perimeter defense. But of course there is no connection.

xavier
Member: #8938
Croatia
11/11/2021  5:07 AM
As I have already written, the defense has dropped compared to last season and that is to be expected. But that’s why the attack is definitely better. Now, whether it’s overall good or bad, it’s up to everyone to decide for themselves based on what they prefer. Personally, I am one of those who always want a good defense in the first place, but I believe the net result (when we "add" the minus in defense and a better attack compared to last season) is still positive.

But what I can’t figure out is that someone complains about the defense and then calls for removing Mitch or Noel and replacing them with Obi.

Philc1

11/12/2021  11:21 AM
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

You guys are really overrating Elfrid Payton. Suddenly now he’s the premier perimeter defender in the NBA

Philc1

11/12/2021  11:24 AM
martin wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

Yes, Elfrid Payton. You didn't like him but you don't have to, the stats say a different story than your heart. Just like Bullock, who had never been an eye popping defender EVER, Elf did his small part when he could.

What about in 2019-2020 when Elfrid was our starting full time pg and we went 21-45. How were his analytics that season?

Philc1

11/12/2021  11:27 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
Nalod wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

It's all about cherry picking Skittles. Among other things, last season was the year of Payton Hate. Designated whipping boy. Nothing positive can be said to go with the extreme focus on his shortcomings (see also "Phil Jackson"). This year among other things is the year of whining about our perimeter defense. But of course there is no connection.

Payton was not a good perimeter defender. You guys are out of control. Bullock was an ok defender but top players had no problem scoring on him.

Something the Elf-lovers aren’t taking into account is last year was a wierd season. Most of the NBA’s better teams were exhausted after getting a short break from that stupid bubble tournament just a couple months earlier while the Knicks were well rested and had a full offseason to train under a real head coach. RJ and Randle both blossomed at the right time. We didn’t have a good season because of Elfrid Payton the guy is a scrub who is now rotting on the suns bench

knicks1248
Member: #582
11/12/2021  11:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/12/2021  11:43 AM
Philc1 wrote:

But we only looked at his lack of offense

ES
Nalod
USA
11/12/2021  12:24 PM
Philc1 wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:
Nalod wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

Payton was not a good perimeter defender. You guys are out of control. Bullock was an ok defender but top players had no problem scoring on him.

Something the Elf-lovers aren’t taking into account is last year was a wierd season. Most of the NBA’s better teams were exhausted after getting a short break from that stupid bubble tournament just a couple months earlier while the Knicks were well rested and had a full offseason to train under a real head coach. RJ and Randle both blossomed at the right time. We didn’t have a good season because of Elfrid Payton the guy is a scrub who is now rotting on the suns bench

No Elf lovers dude. That scrub started 63 games on a team that won 41 games and was the 4th seed. Nobody discounts that it was Drose that turned the season around. We are discussing what elements are missing from last season. its just one element. Its a combo. One of which was Elf. He was signed as an back up here and he is with Suns.

martin
USA
11/14/2021  10:13 AM
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

What about in 2019-2020 when Elfrid was our starting full time pg and we went 21-45. How were his analytics that season?

Let us know how that's relevant to anything

Philc1

11/14/2021  10:29 AM
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

Ofcourse it’s relevant. You are here talking up Payton like he was the reason we got the 4th seed last season and yet want to pretend like the previous season when he also was the full time PG and we were close to bottom of the league- that didn’t happen

It also doesn’t matter that Elf is not even in Phoenix’s rotation too I suppose

martin
USA
11/14/2021  11:05 AM
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

Ofcourse it’s relevant. You are here talking up Payton like he was the reason we got the 4th seed last season and yet want to pretend like the previous season when he also was the full time PG and we were close to bottom of the league- that didn’t happen

You have reading comprehension problems.

I pointed out that Elf was not that bad of a defender last season. No more no less. To clue people in, I used the phrase "Elf did his small part when he could" while showing some relevant stats. The context was Thibs as coach and the defense that went along with the team.

It's a weak ass argument to state what a player did in one season to try to negate anything he does the next. In a season where you have already described Fiz as being one of, if not THE worst coach the Knicks have ever had, players also did poorly. Duh. It has little context to the next season.

Regarding Phoenix, you think Elf or any 3rd string signed PG should play minutes even when you have CP3 and Payne holding down the PG minutes returning from a championship caliber team? That's what you expect?

Philc1

11/14/2021  12:13 PM
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

I pointed out that Elf was not that bad of a defender last season. No more no less. To clue people in, I used the phrase "Elf did his small part when he could" while showing some relevant stats. The context was Thibs as coach and the defense that went along with the team.

It's a weak ass argument to state what a player did in one season to try to negate anything he does the next. In a season where you have already described Fiz as being one of, if not THE worst coach the Knicks have ever had, players also did poorly. Duh. It has little context to the next season.

Regarding Phoenix, you think Elf or any 3rd string signed PG should play minutes even when you have CP3 and Payne holding down the PG minutes returning from a championship caliber team? That's what you expect?

You’re here cutting and pasting analytics to talk up Elfrid Payton. He sucks. The end.

martin
USA
11/14/2021  12:50 PM
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He stinks.

You’re here cutting and pasting analytics to talk up Elfrid Payton. He sucks. The end.

Providing some analytics to back up your point is called being grounded in some evidence.

You are down to Neanderthal phrases like "He sucks". No **** Sherlock

Tom T needs to step up 2

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy