[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

People around the league believes a star/all-star/superstar will demand a trade to the Knicks sometime in the next 12 months
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
3/3/2021  8:31 AM
Nalod wrote:Yesterday Brian WIndhorst’s Podcast knicks were the major topic and he stated what the OP wrote. Not my intention to call out plageristic content but to discuss this as its where it was “reported”. He did not say who. Brian has a pretty good rep. He said by NEXT years trade deadline.
Also bought up was Knicks are not known to be an “organic grower” and likely we’d be using the Nets model which was Culture, develop then trade/free agent. Nothing shocking. But using D’angelo Russell example and comparing to Randle emergence I thought as interesting. He could be a major trade chip and its consistent with what I said before regarding Randle. Other teams fans don’t make the trades but once he is an all star his rep will rise and perhaps as a consolation piece.
MIlwaukee can say “few times do you get back fair value but we got an allstar in his prime and XXXX picks, etc......”
I’m not advocating for this, just saying Randles rise makes this plausible to some degree.

You don’t trade one allstar for another though. A star would want to come here to join Randle and build on what we are doing. A trade for a star would only make sense if it were built around draft picks and 1 or 2 young players. Barrett is playing his way out of being available for a star. Quickley probably has security here as well. It would be Toppin, Knox and Robinson as potential moveable pieces combined with all draft picks needed.

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/3/2021  8:52 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Nalod wrote:Yesterday Brian WIndhorst’s Podcast knicks were the major topic and he stated what the OP wrote. Not my intention to call out plageristic content but to discuss this as its where it was “reported”. He did not say who. Brian has a pretty good rep. He said by NEXT years trade deadline.
Also bought up was Knicks are not known to be an “organic grower” and likely we’d be using the Nets model which was Culture, develop then trade/free agent. Nothing shocking. But using D’angelo Russell example and comparing to Randle emergence I thought as interesting. He could be a major trade chip and its consistent with what I said before regarding Randle. Other teams fans don’t make the trades but once he is an all star his rep will rise and perhaps as a consolation piece.
MIlwaukee can say “few times do you get back fair value but we got an allstar in his prime and XXXX picks, etc......”
I’m not advocating for this, just saying Randles rise makes this plausible to some degree.

You don’t trade one allstar for another though. A star would want to come here to join Randle and build on what we are doing. A trade for a star would only make sense if it were built around draft picks and 1 or 2 young players. Barrett is playing his way out of being available for a star. Quickley probably has security here as well. It would be Toppin, Knox and Robinson as potential moveable pieces combined with all draft picks needed.

Formula:

Draft a star
Sign a Star
Trade a star.

Its been done a few times the last 20 years. Kyrie and Durant did not come to play with D’angelo Russell. That they had the trad fodder to pull off harden was impressive. Let’s just say they went from “nice Kenny Atkinson story” to legit contenders inside of 18 months.
Miami had Wade. Randle is not our Wade. Barrett Maybe.
Lakers signed Lebron and had to eat a year. Then they got AD.
Boston had Pierce, then got KG and Ray.
Maybe your right, don’t know or can predict the order of things. I like Randle but I don’t love the way we play with low pace (I get why) and a bit too much Randle usage.
If OBI was drafted to replace him, and Julius being an allstar now is not a bad thing either way! Makes him far more valuable on the court or as trade fodder!
I’m very high on Barrett but really understand he is not Kobe and at age 20 in year two inconsistency is still there. He might still be 4-5 years away from his prime. That’s kind of scary good though.
There are scenarios were Olidipo might be a good addition but seems this FO will show restraint in what they would offer. Thats comforting.
Kawahi? I dont’ see that.
Giannis? Won’t be a free agent. when you take the money you also limit where you can go and win right away. Few teams can do that. Lakers did with Davis but Lebron cost them nothing.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/3/2021  10:47 AM
I think it will be a Booker. People will say no because they are a solid team but wait and see
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
USA
3/3/2021  11:25 AM
fishmike wrote:I think it will be a Booker. People will say no because they are a solid team but wait and see

I can imagine under the spell of the Kardashian he wants to be in LA. Has to have a good prenup first. They are very crafty at getting the wealth of NBA players. Its the only negative thing I can mark him on. No Player gets away unscathed. Triston Thompson knocked up one, Poor Kris Humphries got wrecked, and Lamar turned to crack and damn near killed himself! Bruce Jenner, one of the greatest olympians ever (triathlete is no joke!) cut off his wanker to free himself from them!!!

We drafted a booker, he is IQ? Maybe we need to just look within?
If we do end up a lottery team which is my expectation but set in a culture and respect then we had a very successful season. We developed an allstar in randle, Drafted a blue chipper in IQ and perhaps still have in play Obi, knox and even frank as an asset. RJ is also “Developing” very nicely.

Regardless a drop in standing I see this team competing hard and earning respect by media, fans and league players.

A Milwaukee playoff failure would likely cause Giannis to spring free via trade. Milwaukee can say they did there best and because of that they had little room to improve unless they drop back and trade him. It does not have to ugly. Coach Bud NEXT YEAR is his last under contract. I’d say they got pressure this season to advance to finals? Semi’s at least? do we think they bring him back without an extension? Curious he got “Only” 4 years vs the normal 5 that star coaches often command. I’m just throwing shyt at the wall here to see what sticks.

Dame or McCallum. Not sure “demands” is the word I’d use here for either and I doubt its next year if so. I’m not a Gary Trent jr expert so I can’t gauge his value t them, as a RFA (he turned down extension),, or as a trade chip. maybe we trade him for frank, they then resign him as a back up guard and we resign Trent. If they feel they are going to lose him because they can’t pay Trent its not fair trade, but its better than nothing. Again just speculations........hardly think that really happens that way. And Trent is not a major star.
But elevate him, and with Randle and a number one pick or two (see how easy it is the throw around picks) its a more palatable trade for Giannis...........maybe.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/3/2021  3:22 PM
Uptown wrote:Are these the same people that said KD and Kyrie were MSG bound?

I find the story believable, because the Knicks look like a playoff team when we're clicking. With one newly minted star. And some good, young, players. Not hard to imagine a star saying to themselves. If the Knicks are a playoff team now, might be a contender with them on the roster.

Goes back to the pitfalls of endless tankathons. Knicks havent been a destination which elite players want to parachute into. The FO, the team, is changing that.

Would have been a preposterous idea to me when the Knicks had the worst, or close to the worst record in the league. Not now. Even after the blowout vs the Spurs.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

3/3/2021  8:00 PM
xavier wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:Look at James Harden with 2 or 3 yrs left on his deal and the Brooklyn got him for at best a pedestrian cache of assets ..they got stripped of everything yes...but their offer was weak compared to other teams...but the beard wanted to go there and possibly put they word out that he will be disruptive any place else..

I just don't believe in that. Harden is as old as he is and he's certainly not in a position to be counterproductive until the end of his contract. Yes, the player and the agent will try in various ways to get the interested teams to believe that the player is only interested in team X, but I say again, once the trade happens and the player comes to a new team, he will very quickly start playing normally if the environment is relatively normal. There is no way to immediately have a negative attitude.

Only the team must not fall for this “exclusivity” before the trade. We remember how Kobe and Francis once forced teams to trade them right after the draft. Rubio tried a similar move, as he did not want to replace sunny Barcelona with Minneapolis. But the Wolves made it clear to him “either you’re going to play in Minnesota or you’re not going to play the NBA” and suddenly there were no problems.

Why trade with the nets....that was not the best deal...it was the only deal because one James Harden made it clear he wanted Brooklyn...at that point no team is giving up real assets for him...hence the nets got a top 10 player for less than they gave up for KG and crew..

Rubio was a rookie with zero leverage...Minny would hold his rights into perpetuity...

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/3/2021  8:10 PM

Talked with Daily Knicks of Fansided, Editor-in-Chief Bradley Dressler about some trades we could do before the trade deadline this year...

Check it out

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
xavier
Member: #8938
Croatia
3/4/2021  4:04 AM
ekstarks94 wrote:Why trade with the nets....that was not the best deal...it was the only deal because one James Harden made it clear he wanted Brooklyn...at that point no team is giving up real assets for him...hence the nets got a top 10 player for less than they gave up for KG and crew..

Rubio was a rookie with zero leverage...Minny would hold his rights into perpetuity...

I do not know that. And it seemed to me at the time that there were hypothetically better packages. But maybe they just didn’t want to send Harden to Phila since Morey was there, and it turned out he left Houston just before Harden asked for a trade. It's hard to imagine Morey didn't know Harden wants out and that was probably one of the reasons he left...and then he went to Phila and brought "dissatisfied" Harden there. I can imagine Rockets saying "there is no way that will happen".

Miami was mentioned with some interesting package, but in the end it turned out that they gave up anyway and didn’t even want to get into the business. So in the end this was probably the best package available.

Regarding Rubio, what kind of leverage did Kobe and Francis have? Rubio at least had Barcelona as a backup plan. And Kobe threatened to play in Europe if the Hornets don’t trade him. What could Francis have done?

Nalod
USA
3/4/2021  7:59 AM
Article in ESPN about this. Morey knew in the bubble last year Harden would not be happy without an upgrade and they were out of assets to make deals. It is speculated (not this article) that ownership wanted Westbrook. I don’t fault Morey for leaving if owner not in sync with his GM. It happens when a dude buys a team. Wants it his way. Morey was there 13 years. Obviously Morey could walk and Fertitta did not have a non compete so he was free to do what he wanted. I was likely down to Nets and 76ers were where the teams in play.
xavier
Member: #8938
Croatia
3/4/2021  9:31 AM
Nalod wrote:Article in ESPN about this. Morey knew in the bubble last year Harden would not be happy without an upgrade and they were out of assets to make deals. It is speculated (not this article) that ownership wanted Westbrook. I don’t fault Morey for leaving if owner not in sync with his GM. It happens when a dude buys a team. Wants it his way. Morey was there 13 years. Obviously Morey could walk and Fertitta did not have a non compete so he was free to do what he wanted. I was likely down to Nets and 76ers were where the teams in play.

I didn't even say that it was Morey's fault, but I can understand that Rockets could say they would not accept Phila's offer and send Harden there, but would rather send him to the Nets, although the offer was perhaps a bit lower overall.

According to what was written in the media, Phila's offer with Simmons seemed better to me, because if everything goes as they hope for the Nets, all these picks won't be anything special.

Nalod
USA
3/4/2021  9:41 AM
xavier wrote:
Nalod wrote:Article in ESPN about this. Morey knew in the bubble last year Harden would not be happy without an upgrade and they were out of assets to make deals. It is speculated (not this article) that ownership wanted Westbrook. I don’t fault Morey for leaving if owner not in sync with his GM. It happens when a dude buys a team. Wants it his way. Morey was there 13 years. Obviously Morey could walk and Fertitta did not have a non compete so he was free to do what he wanted. I was likely down to Nets and 76ers were where the teams in play.

I didn't even say that it was Morey's fault, but I can understand that Rockets could say they would not accept Phila's offer and send Harden there, but would rather send him to the Nets, although the offer was perhaps a bit lower overall.

According to what was written in the media, Phila's offer with Simmons seemed better to me, because if everything goes as they hope for the Nets, all these picks won't be anything special.

I agree with your assessment with Simmons being a good return but with John Wall thats a lot of money tied up in the back court and might be clumsy. Wall/Harden was not a good idea either. In fact, Westbrook/Harden had some aspects that were not great.
would have been hard to move wall again.

TPercy
Member: #5748

3/4/2021  9:47 AM
People at ESPN are full of **** and frankly Brian should be ashamed of himself. “Ppl around the league believe a star is going in next 12 months” is a story I can write about ANY NBA team without any consequences, especially the Knicks because then they will turn around and mock us if it dosent come true or sing their praises if it does.
The Future is Bright!
Nalod
USA
3/4/2021  9:54 AM
TPercy wrote:People at ESPN are full of **** and frankly Brian should be ashamed of himself. “Ppl around the league believe a star is going in next 12 months” is a story I can write about ANY NBA team without any consequences, especially the Knicks because then they will turn around and mock us if it dosent come true or sing their praises if it does.

I heard it as part of a conversation in his podcast. He was vague, was quick to say he was not “reporting it” and “Would not name”. I don’t follow his every word but in the context of the convo it was not a highlight.
Perhaps the OP of this thread might want mentioned where he picked it up, its his thread.

TPercy
Member: #5748

3/4/2021  12:07 PM
Nalod wrote:
TPercy wrote:People at ESPN are full of **** and frankly Brian should be ashamed of himself. “Ppl around the league believe a star is going in next 12 months” is a story I can write about ANY NBA team without any consequences, especially the Knicks because then they will turn around and mock us if it dosent come true or sing their praises if it does.

I heard it as part of a conversation in his podcast. He was vague, was quick to say he was not “reporting it” and “Would not name”. I don’t follow his every word but in the context of the convo it was not a highlight.
Perhaps the OP of this thread might want mentioned where he picked it up, its his thread.

Well they sure are running with it. Mind you the Suns are having their most impressive season since Horny was coaching and they wanna pull this disrespectful nonsense.

The Future is Bright!
Jimbo5
Member: #8854

3/4/2021  12:11 PM
Same source nalod,an article that Brian windhorts said he thinks a superstar may come within 12 months. Not really going crazy with a possible trade for a superstar unless its Luka, il be willing to part with one of the young core and 3 1st rounders.

Not really focusing on a possible trade coz luka demanding a trade to the knicks will never happen. The thing that got my attention with this news is not really the prospect of a superstar trade but rather the knicks have finally improve their image around the league and the chances a free agent superstar will choose the knicks have increased or so i think.we can test this theory in the offseason if oladipo and kahwai are there in free agency.

Nalod
USA
3/4/2021  1:51 PM
It respects the knicks but not PHX, I agree. Its talk radio so they stretch it. Book not a free agent for years. "Forcing" implies a trade and they not talking about what it takes and what is left.
That PHX is doing so well does not really jive with the momentum.
Its dudes speculating. WE do it, they do it. Knicks in conversation is at least respect and not hate by media. Next year is CP3 last. He goes down hurt and PHX falters it might make sense for PHX to make a deal and reboot with what we give them. And it will be expensive for us.
smackeddog
Member: #883
3/4/2021  5:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/4/2021  5:28 PM
I think KAT would be the most likely. Twolves are meant to be interested in John Collins on the Hawks, so I wonder if we could do a three way trade, where we land Collins from the Hawks (who it seems Atlanta don’t want to pay) and then ship him to the Twolves with Mitch or whatever for KAT. Though maybe the Hawks just do Capela and Collins for KAT
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

3/4/2021  7:17 PM
xavier wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:Why trade with the nets....that was not the best deal...it was the only deal because one James Harden made it clear he wanted Brooklyn...at that point no team is giving up real assets for him...hence the nets got a top 10 player for less than they gave up for KG and crew..

I do not know that. And it seemed to me at the time that there were hypothetically better packages. But maybe they just didn’t want to send Harden to Phila since Morey was there, and it turned out he left Houston just before Harden asked for a trade. It's hard to imagine Morey didn't know Harden wants out and that was probably one of the reasons he left...and then he went to Phila and brought "dissatisfied" Harden there. I can imagine Rockets saying "there is no way that will happen".

Miami was mentioned with some interesting package, but in the end it turned out that they gave up anyway and didn’t even want to get into the business. So in the end this was probably the best package available.

Regarding Rubio, what kind of leverage did Kobe and Francis have? Rubio at least had Barcelona as a backup plan. And Kobe threatened to play in Europe if the Hornets don’t trade him. What could Francis have done?

How many "Star" players that say they want to go get shipped to someplace they are not happy with...none. The Nets package was the best under the circumstances because it was the only one...Fertitia wanted to bleed Phila dry....understandable...so it was prohibitive for Morey....if not for Morey in Phila and they are dealing with Doc....Simmons/Maxy and pick or two will do it....forget about fit...they could leverage Simmons into something a lot more...if Fertitia could look pass Morey dumping him he could have gotten a better deal.....The only reason that Phila came up was because of the relationship with Harden...the Nets it was KD, Kyrie, & MDA....if Harden opened up his list teams would have been putting substantive offers on the table..Miami had nothing....Pat Riley is good but he is not that good...Tyler Herro & Duncan Robinson and several picks in 2030 and beyond is not enough...

Kobe and Franchise had some leverage because they got what they wanted and Rubio did not have any because he went to Minny....in fact Minny thought he may stay overseas that is why they drafted Johnny Flynn...in the end STARs go to where they want or a place that is palatable..."Always Have...Always Will be"....

Jimbo5
Member: #8854

3/6/2021  6:32 AM
According to Jay Williams of ESPN he was able to unmasked the supposed superstar who wants to join the Knicks no other than Devin Booker. Unfortunately rumors like these are just based on personal opinion, nothing more so far. Its hard to believe that Booker will be interested in joining the knicks specialy now that the suns are doing very well being second seed in the West.

Is it possible Booker with all his connections with the current Knicks management will be interested in asking for a trade to the knicks? The answer is a maybe but until the time we hear it directly from Booker, it os what it is, just a rumor based on a person's opinion.

Hopefully we can see more concrete signs that star players now have the Knicks in their radar.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/6/2021  10:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/6/2021  10:28 AM
Jimbo5 wrote:According to Jay Williams of ESPN he was able to unmasked the supposed superstar who wants to join the Knicks no other than Devin Booker. Unfortunately rumors like these are just based on personal opinion, nothing more so far. Its hard to believe that Booker will be interested in joining the knicks specialy now that the suns are doing very well being second seed in the West.

Is it possible Booker with all his connections with the current Knicks management will be interested in asking for a trade to the knicks? The answer is a maybe but until the time we hear it directly from Booker, it os what it is, just a rumor based on a person's opinion.

Hopefully we can see more concrete signs that star players now have the Knicks in their radar.

We should be asking if its worth giving up the store for Booker? Assuming Randle stays, my guess would be that it takes RJ/Mitch, maybe Obi (Stat-like) a couple of first rounders, more to make the salaries work.

If its not this exact trade, it will be costly nonetheless. RJ is just getting started. Mitch as well. They've both made big strides this season. Giving up mutiple players who are showing they dont really need to be replaced. We would also be mortgaging the future again. We would be disrupting the continuity, this team hasnt largely experienced since the 1990s.

I can look back on times where the team had the makings of a good core, only to see new mgmt come in and blow it to hades. If the FO trades for a star, I hope they take a real long look at what's left. Not tell themselves that they'll fix the roster imbalance later. Might not be fast enough.

The best shot we have to acquire a star, without giving up the store IMO, is in Free Agency. The FO can thin out the roster enough to bring in a star, without gutting the roster, wrecking the chemistry

People around the league believes a star/all-star/superstar will demand a trade to the Knicks sometime in the next 12 months

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy