[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kristaps Porzingis Tore Up His Knee Again.
Author Thread
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

9/6/2020  1:49 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
TheGame wrote:I don't wish bad on anyone, but now that his knee is torn, hopefully, he will miss most of next season and Dallas misses the playoffs. It is would be crazy if we ended up with two high lottery picks next season.
Doubt he'll be out that long with a torn meniscus.

Depends on the injury. Believe it or not, my friend tore AND flipped his meniscus. He was never the same again.

Yep. And not that I'm a world class athlete, but I'd been walking about with a torn meniscus for over 20 years before it got diagnosed. So yeah, it depends.

Normally if a player had a meniscus tear there might be a sense of relief that was all it was. The thing here is KP's overall inability to stay in play. This is just another episode.

Porzinigis will be done in 2-3 years. Cuban will be begging the Knicks to take him back so he can get that max contract off the books

Not even exaggerating

AUTOADVERT
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

9/6/2020  1:51 AM
Welpee wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Welpee wrote:
TheGame wrote:I don't wish bad on anyone, but now that his knee is torn, hopefully, he will miss most of next season and Dallas misses the playoffs. It is would be crazy if we ended up with two high lottery picks next season.
Doubt he'll be out that long with a torn meniscus.

Depends on the injury. Believe it or not, my friend tore AND flipped his meniscus. He was never the same again.

Yep. And not that I'm a world class athlete, but I'd been walking about with a torn meniscus for over 20 years before it got diagnosed. So yeah, it depends.

I think it’s safe to assume you aren’t a 7-3 guy weighing 240lbs trying to run full court every night for 82 games per year

Knicks were absolutely right to trade P-ssingis. I just wished we had accepted that offer of Jaylon Brown plus picks that the Celtics offered Phil in 2017 instead of the human turnover reel Dennis Smith

blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
9/6/2020  9:21 AM
I agree.....that Celtics trade was better. But it was early and knicks didn't want to trade KP to an east coast team. But that Celtics trade wouldve been better. Hindsight is always 20-20
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/9/2020  3:15 PM

Beating a dead horse.
and Phuching Phil was right all along.

In Porzingis’s case, do you know how many players 7-3 or taller have played 1,000 NBA games
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/9/2020  3:45 PM
blkexec wrote:I agree.....that Celtics trade was better. But it was early and knicks didn't want to trade KP to an east coast team. But that Celtics trade wouldve been better. Hindsight is always 20-20

I remember Bill Simmons saying the reason Boston didn't push harder with a counter offer back then was...you guessed it, injury concerns. Ainge also thought Phil was full of crap.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/9/2020  4:28 PM
Nalod wrote:
Beating a dead horse.

In Porzingis’s case, do you know how many players 7-3 or taller have played 1,000 NBA games

Phuching Phil is right. That horse is even deader. Why the hell did the Zengenius draft him? His knees looked triangular?

Nalod
USA
9/9/2020  5:13 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Beating a dead horse.

Phuching Phil is right. That horse is even deader. Why the hell did the Zengenius draft him? His knees looked triangular?

Remember Little House Gaines, his trusted lone wolf scout? Granted, the drop off after KP was big. Not a damn thing wrong with drafting a player and then trading them at a higher value. Its an alien concept to us. We just as easy could have had Russell or Ok4 and lived with that. Russell needed 3 years to come out of it. Knick fans lose their shyt after 2.
That said, KP was on the block and got fired for it. There are a lot of things that we don't know. That was out there as a near certainty. Dolan likes stars and KP had the making of one. Hindisght is brilliant!!
Mills is culpable. He either sided with Dolan to stab Phil in the back or as GM failed to construct a deal that made sense. That he lacked true GM resume he did might not have seen what Phil saw. Phil might have sucked as an exec but he knows players. He played the game and coached it at the highest level with great success. He lost the pulp in his juice card and Dolan lost faith. I can't say it was regrettable firing him, its just the moment phil actually might have gotten something right was the irony.

fwk00
Member: #6048

9/9/2020  5:29 PM
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Beating a dead horse.

Remember Little House Gaines, his trusted lone wolf scout? Granted, the drop off after KP was big. Not a damn thing wrong with drafting a player and then trading them at a higher value. Its an alien concept to us. We just as easy could have had Russell or Ok4 and lived with that. Russell needed 3 years to come out of it. Knick fans lose their shyt after 2.
That said, KP was on the block and got fired for it. There are a lot of things that we don't know. That was out there as a near certainty. Dolan likes stars and KP had the making of one. Hindisght is brilliant!!
Mills is culpable. He either sided with Dolan to stab Phil in the back or as GM failed to construct a deal that made sense. That he lacked true GM resume he did might not have seen what Phil saw. Phil might have sucked as an exec but he knows players. He played the game and coached it at the highest level with great success. He lost the pulp in his juice card and Dolan lost faith. I can't say it was regrettable firing him, its just the moment phil actually might have gotten something right was the irony.

Phil got lots of things right. NYK life is not fair. That's why this FO should tread carefully.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

9/9/2020  8:12 PM
fwk00 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Beating a dead horse.

Phil got lots of things right. NYK life is not fair. That's why this FO should tread carefully.

Phil screwed some things up but he left us with cap space and all our #1's. What GM in recent memory did that? His 2 #1's were KP and Frank -- not bad. But the media and fans became a mob for him and we're still seeing the fallout from that.

KnickDanger

9/9/2020  11:36 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:Mills is culpable. He either sided with Dolan to stab Phil in the back or as GM failed to construct a deal that made sense. That he lacked true GM resume he did might not have seen what Phil saw. Phil might have sucked as an exec but he knows players. He played the game and coached it at the highest level with great success. He lost the pulp in his juice card and Dolan lost faith. I can't say it was regrettable firing him, its just the moment phil actually might have gotten something right was the irony.

Other GMs did not want to talk to Phil Jackson. He didn't understand the basics of the salary cap. It's why he never returned phone calls because it made him look bad not to understand even the basics. Jackson also did not hire a trained GM, so Mills by default took the job, because at least he had some rudimentary understanding of how the cap worked.

No deal was going to make sense. Zinger only wanted to go to one team and would only sign an extension with one team. The only reason the Knicks got anything at all was because Dallas needed Zinger's Bird Rights. No one is going to get a good deal from a situation where they can only trade an injured guy to only one team. They could have traded him elsewhere and gotten a rental price.

The idea that Phil Jackson saved first round picks is just not true. Based on the Stepien Rule and because of trades made before he joined the Knicks, he was essentially prevented from trading first round picks even if he wanted to do it except in some limited cases. Also he never returned calls and no one wanted to talk deals with him because he didn't understand the basics of the cap so what trades can happen if you don't talk to anyone?

He did make some deals with the Bulls, his former team, where decision maker Paxton played for Jackson, and with former Bulls players, where Rose's agent, BJ Armstrong played for Jackson. Start to see a pattern?

Phil Jackson insisted on a complicated offense that he didn't have the personnel for and defied league trends.

The Knicks hired a 70 year old who never ran a front office before, who pushed a obsolete offensive system, who didn't understand the basic cap, who never returned calls and had preexisting enemies in the media. His signature moves? Give Noah a contract where he outbid himself twice over, give Lance Thomas a contract that no one could even understand, then coughed up trade assets for an overpaid injured point guard who couldn't shoot a three or play defense with off the court problems.

Phil Jackson set this franchise back at least five years. Probably seven.

I'm a ****ing football player and even I understood basic resource management better than Phil Jackson. There were NHL interns who could have done a better job just taking advice from Rotoworld articles than what Phil Jackson did. Jackson could have literally built a cardboard suggestion box, bring it to MIT Sloan, and randomly picked a rebuild plan better than the one he used.

Kind of tough to succeed at a job you've never been trained for while being a senior citizen without the benefit of generational level Hall Of Fame players on your roster.

I recognize this is America, but you guys do realize in non Western parts of the world, a **** up on the level of what Phil Jackson did, at the financial stakes involved, would get people shot. Right?

Phil Jackson ****ed his up so badly, if he wasn't an American, if he lived in a place where you can't just say random smug Yoda **** to the press, someone would have started lining up coaches and scouts and then started shooting them. Don't have to pay your contract if no one can cash that check right?

I think some of you underestimate the level of **** up created by Phil Jackson.

Your hate for Phil is palpable but saying that he was prevented from trading #1's is just not true. He could have easily traded future #1's but did not -- which to me may be the best thing he gave the franchise because that was the philosophy that put the Knicks in the s#!thole to begin with. And cap space was created under his watch -- again going against all Knick trends in recent times. I am not saying he was without fault, of course not. But the degree of hatred that rushes to pummel him with no objectivity I find...well interesting.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
9/10/2020  6:24 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:Mills is culpable. He either sided with Dolan to stab Phil in the back or as GM failed to construct a deal that made sense. That he lacked true GM resume he did might not have seen what Phil saw. Phil might have sucked as an exec but he knows players. He played the game and coached it at the highest level with great success. He lost the pulp in his juice card and Dolan lost faith. I can't say it was regrettable firing him, its just the moment phil actually might have gotten something right was the irony.

Other GMs did not want to talk to Phil Jackson. He didn't understand the basics of the salary cap. It's why he never returned phone calls because it made him look bad not to understand even the basics. Jackson also did not hire a trained GM, so Mills by default took the job, because at least he had some rudimentary understanding of how the cap worked.

No deal was going to make sense. Zinger only wanted to go to one team and would only sign an extension with one team. The only reason the Knicks got anything at all was because Dallas needed Zinger's Bird Rights. No one is going to get a good deal from a situation where they can only trade an injured guy to only one team. They could have traded him elsewhere and gotten a rental price.

The idea that Phil Jackson saved first round picks is just not true. Based on the Stepien Rule and because of trades made before he joined the Knicks, he was essentially prevented from trading first round picks even if he wanted to do it except in some limited cases. Also he never returned calls and no one wanted to talk deals with him because he didn't understand the basics of the cap so what trades can happen if you don't talk to anyone?

He did make some deals with the Bulls, his former team, where decision maker Paxton played for Jackson, and with former Bulls players, where Rose's agent, BJ Armstrong played for Jackson. Start to see a pattern?

Phil Jackson insisted on a complicated offense that he didn't have the personnel for and defied league trends.

The Knicks hired a 70 year old who never ran a front office before, who pushed a obsolete offensive system, who didn't understand the basic cap, who never returned calls and had preexisting enemies in the media. His signature moves? Give Noah a contract where he outbid himself twice over, give Lance Thomas a contract that no one could even understand, then coughed up trade assets for an overpaid injured point guard who couldn't shoot a three or play defense with off the court problems.

I'm a ****ing football player and even I understood basic resource management better than Phil Jackson. There were NHL interns who could have done a better job just taking advice from Rotoworld articles than what Phil Jackson did. Jackson could have literally built a cardboard suggestion box, bring it to MIT Sloan, and randomly picked a rebuild plan better than the one he used.

Kind of tough to succeed at a job you've never been trained for while being a senior citizen without the benefit of generational level Hall Of Fame players on your roster.

I recognize this is America, but you guys do realize in non Western parts of the world, a **** up on the level of what Phil Jackson did, at the financial stakes involved, would get people shot. Right?

Phil Jackson ****ed his up so badly, if he wasn't an American, if he lived in a place where you can't just say random smug Yoda **** to the press, someone would have started lining up coaches and scouts and then started shooting them. Don't have to pay your contract if no one can cash that check right?

Your hate for Phil is palpable but saying that he was prevented from trading #1's is just not true. He could have easily traded future #1's but did not -- which to me may be the best thing he gave the franchise because that was the philosophy that put the Knicks in the s#!thole to begin with. And cap space was created under his watch -- again going against all Knick trends in recent times. I am not saying he was without fault, of course not. But the degree of hatred that rushes to pummel him with no objectivity I find...well interesting.

I will say this if I can chime in. Phil was right about KP not being a player to keep, and Phil was right about Frank since Frank is looking like a better prospect than DSJr. The fact that we did not get the right assets back for KP is on Mills, not Phil. And, Phil was smart not to trade our 1st rounders, which he could have done as KnickDanger noted. Now Phil did not commit to the job like he should have, and he was stuck in the past in trying to implement the triangle, but he probably is the only GM we have had in awhile in which you can honestly say the team was in a better position when he left than when he came in.

Trust the Process
Nalod
USA
9/10/2020  8:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/10/2020  8:42 AM
Triple, I’m not defending Phils exec career.
Thank you for not comparing him to Bea Arthurs career as “Maude” vs. her role in “The Golden Girls”.
The point was Trading KP after he missed the exit meeting when he showed his ass and posture. This was before he knee injury.
That was the window I mention. This was when Phil exercised his 24mil. Payday and Dolan did make the right call.
Mills was the Capologist. To me he lacked the evaluative ability that Phil a Long time coach would have. PHil saw a short window with Melo, Rose and Noah as a 2 year window to another era. Ok, it failed. HE did not have all his picks so we could not draft out way out fast either. The only long lasting contract was Noah and it was not that toxic.
We failed to make the “Worst NBA contract lists” which was a nice change. Resigning Melo at that moment was but at the time it was what had to be.
Phil left the place in better shape than when he walked in. Nothing to write home about and certainly NOT what 12mil a year should buy you.
That DOlan ****canned Mills before he starphuched to save his career was a good move. Knicks are floundering still after 10 years post Isiah. At the very least we are not saddled with idiot contracts and we have our picks plus the two Dallas.
I said the very least. Nothing to celebrate about.
KnickDanger

9/10/2020  11:18 AM
TheGame wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I will say this if I can chime in. Phil was right about KP not being a player to keep, and Phil was right about Frank since Frank is looking like a better prospect than DSJr. The fact that we did not get the right assets back for KP is on Mills, not Phil. And, Phil was smart not to trade our 1st rounders, which he could have done as KnickDanger noted. Now Phil did not commit to the job like he should have, and he was stuck in the past in trying to implement the triangle, but he probably is the only GM we have had in awhile in which you can honestly say the team was in a better position when he left than when he came in.

Yeah, this is how I feel. Phil brought his problems on himself to a large degree, particularly with his personality (media despises him) and stubbornness. And because of that it got to where he pretty much had to go. But the need to paint the picture with such a wide brush including condemning him for things that he didn't do or were not his fault, and not giving him *any* credit -- well a sign of the times I suppose.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/10/2020  11:44 AM
Let's review, once-a-****ing-gain, our dearly departed Mr. 60 million dollar HotPockets (Copyright TripleThreat, LLC):
2014-15
Signings: Shannon Brown (waived), Lamar Odom (waived), Jason Smith, Ricky Ledo (waived), Langston Galloway

Trades

Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to Dallas for Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Wayne Ellington, Shane Larkin, and two second-round picks (Cleanthony Early and Thanasis Antetokounmpo)
Wayne Ellington and Jeremy Tyler to Sacramento for Quincy Acy and Travis Outlaw
Travis Outlaw, 2019 second-round pick and swap rights on 2018 second-rounder to Philadelphia for Arnett Moultrie
Iman Shumpert and J.R. Smith to Cleveland for Lance Thomas (via OKC), Lou Amundson, Alex Kirk and Cavs’ 2019 second-round pick
Pablo Prigioni to Houston for Alexey Shved, 2017 second-round pick (Ognjen Jaramaz) and 2019 second-round pick
Drafted: Cleanthony Early (No. 34) and Thanasis Antetokounmpo (No. 51)

2015-16
Signings: Derrick Williams (two years, $10 million), Arron Afflalo (two years, $16 million), Robin Lopez (four years, $54 million), Kevin Seraphin, Tony Wroten (never played), Jimmer Fredette (10-day contract)

Trades

Tim Hardaway Jr. to Atlanta for No. 19 pick in 2015 (Jerian Grant)
2020 and 2021 second-round picks to Philadelphia for Willy Hernangomez
Swap rights on 2019 second-round pick to Orlando for Kyle O’Quinn
Drafted: Kristaps Porzingis (No. 4)

2016-17
Signings: Joakim Noah (four years, $72 million), Courtney Lee (four years, $48 million), Lance Thomas (four years, $27 million), Brandon Jennings (one year, $5 million — waived midseason), Sasha Vujacic, Mindaugas Kuzminskas, Marshall Plumlee, Maurice Ndour, Ron Baker, Chasson Randle (midseason)

Trade: Jose Calderon, Jerian Grant, and Robin Lopez to Chicago for Derrick Rose and Justin Holiday

2017-18
Drafted: Frank Ntilikina No. 8 in 2017, Damyean Dotson, No. 44 and Ognjen Jaramaz No. 58
In summation, Jackson bulldozed the Knicks’ roster, built it from scratch, and bulldozed it again.

He traded Shumpert and Smith to the Cavaliers for Lance Thomas, Lou Amundson, and Alex Kirk. He traded Tim Hardaway Jr. to the Hawks for Jerian Grant, who he traded for Derrick Rose and Justin Holiday — both of whom become free agents. He gave Joakim Noah $72 million after playing only 29 games in 2016. Noah played poorly and sparingly in his first season with the Knicks.

And he signed Sasha Vujacic.

Now, what moves up there make you think the franchise was better off? Because Zinger finally made the playoffs and broke down anyway?

Meanwhile, we're left with Frankie Smokes Hopes and Dreams and his Magic Groin And Really REALLY Long Arms, and memories of Why They Don't Give A Fuck About Authority in Latvia.

Anyone harboring warm memories of Phil Jackson as a player or an executive with the Knicks needs to desperately change meds now.
Love him with the Albany Patroons, sure.
He ****ing burned the house down (thanks Triple, that stupid babysitter post was gold) and his best moves as an exec involved naps.

fwk00
Member: #6048

9/10/2020  11:56 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Sorry. I thought PJ did a better than average job in his tenure. The G-League and scouting organizations were hardened and continue to shine.

He inherited the sidekick superstar Melo who proceeded to make us all regret losing a handful of useful players, a great coach, and how many seasons for Melo mediocrity. Phil tried.

Noah's signing was coupled to Noah attracting Courtney. I miss Courtney.

And Phil really did try to complement Melo until he didn't. I cheered when the pandering stopped.

And Phil did what good companies do - two tracks, one for today, one for tomorrow, He established an expectation for hustle and pride. It still exists. as do the principles of Tex Winter.

Nalod
USA
9/10/2020  1:05 PM
jrodmc wrote:Let's review, once-a-****ing-gain, our dearly departed Mr. 60 million dollar HotPockets (Copyright TripleThreat, LLC):
2014-15
Signings: Shannon Brown (waived), Lamar Odom (waived), Jason Smith, Ricky Ledo (waived), Langston Galloway

Trades

Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton to Dallas for Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Wayne Ellington, Shane Larkin, and two second-round picks (Cleanthony Early and Thanasis Antetokounmpo)
Wayne Ellington and Jeremy Tyler to Sacramento for Quincy Acy and Travis Outlaw
Travis Outlaw, 2019 second-round pick and swap rights on 2018 second-rounder to Philadelphia for Arnett Moultrie
Iman Shumpert and J.R. Smith to Cleveland for Lance Thomas (via OKC), Lou Amundson, Alex Kirk and Cavs’ 2019 second-round pick
Pablo Prigioni to Houston for Alexey Shved, 2017 second-round pick (Ognjen Jaramaz) and 2019 second-round pick
Drafted: Cleanthony Early (No. 34) and Thanasis Antetokounmpo (No. 51)

2015-16
Signings: Derrick Williams (two years, $10 million), Arron Afflalo (two years, $16 million), Robin Lopez (four years, $54 million), Kevin Seraphin, Tony Wroten (never played), Jimmer Fredette (10-day contract)

Trades

Tim Hardaway Jr. to Atlanta for No. 19 pick in 2015 (Jerian Grant)
2020 and 2021 second-round picks to Philadelphia for Willy Hernangomez
Swap rights on 2019 second-round pick to Orlando for Kyle O’Quinn
Drafted: Kristaps Porzingis (No. 4)

2016-17
Signings: Joakim Noah (four years, $72 million), Courtney Lee (four years, $48 million), Lance Thomas (four years, $27 million), Brandon Jennings (one year, $5 million — waived midseason), Sasha Vujacic, Mindaugas Kuzminskas, Marshall Plumlee, Maurice Ndour, Ron Baker, Chasson Randle (midseason)

Trade: Jose Calderon, Jerian Grant, and Robin Lopez to Chicago for Derrick Rose and Justin Holiday

2017-18
Drafted: Frank Ntilikina No. 8 in 2017, Damyean Dotson, No. 44 and Ognjen Jaramaz No. 58
In summation, Jackson bulldozed the Knicks’ roster, built it from scratch, and bulldozed it again.

He traded Shumpert and Smith to the Cavaliers for Lance Thomas, Lou Amundson, and Alex Kirk. He traded Tim Hardaway Jr. to the Hawks for Jerian Grant, who he traded for Derrick Rose and Justin Holiday — both of whom become free agents. He gave Joakim Noah $72 million after playing only 29 games in 2016. Noah played poorly and sparingly in his first season with the Knicks.

And he signed Sasha Vujacic.

Now, what moves up there make you think the franchise was better off? Because Zinger finally made the playoffs and broke down anyway?

Meanwhile, we're left with Frankie Smokes Hopes and Dreams and his Magic Groin And Really REALLY Long Arms, and memories of Why They Don't Give A Fuck About Authority in Latvia.

Anyone harboring warm memories of Phil Jackson as a player or an executive with the Knicks needs to desperately change meds now.
Love him with the Albany Patroons, sure.
He ****ing burned the house down (thanks Triple, that stupid babysitter post was gold) and his best moves as an exec involved naps.

The house was in shambles when he got here. He burned it down. Nobody cried. It needed to. Maybe a clock and 1248 are both right twice a day. Phil wanted to trade KP and got fired. Nobody is getting a Phil Jax Tatoo any time soon.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/10/2020  1:13 PM
Its funny how nobody had a problem giving brittle KP the max for 5 yrs , but are screaming about absorbing CP's 2 yr contract.

I was not on board with that at all, but i certainly wasn't on board with the BS we got in return. At least phil was like.. if your not giving us back a young potential all satr who can start right now, then kick rocks.

ES
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
9/10/2020  1:43 PM
He did some things good and somethings poorly. His attitude/stubborness overshadowed some of the positives he tried to accomplish. He had the stones to draft KP and then foresaw many of the problems that KP shows today (durability, entitled/brother). He cut bait with JR, Shumphert and Tyson as he believed they were not going to continue helping the Knicks team. Tyson was starting to decline, Iman never recovered his rookie year athleticism and JR was a (inconistent but productive) headcase. He should have received a better return though... Frank should probably be more developed but the Knicks have had a lousy development history which is on a GM. Signing Noah was a big miss, and he should have realized that building around Melo was not fruitful at that point. I suspect he wanted to rid the team of Melo sooner but was urged not to from above/owners (he did go on record of not being a Melo fan before being GM). He missed big on Jerian Grant but the consequences weren't too bad (Hardaway Jr at that point). All in all - he's a great basketball mind that should have been hired as a consultant (like Jerry West with GS) - but we are better positioned then when he took over so that does matter.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/10/2020  1:49 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Its funny how nobody had a problem giving brittle KP the max for 5 yrs , but are screaming about absorbing CP's 2 yr contract.

I was not on board with that at all, but i certainly wasn't on board with the BS we got in return. At least phil was like.. if your not giving us back a young potential all satr who can start right now, then kick rocks.

One guy was in his early 20s and the other guys is one bad slip away from hitting the wall. Also, the rumor is that the contract Pills was going to offer KP would have had a number of injury based incentives.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
KnickDanger

9/10/2020  1:50 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:Your hate for Phil is palpable but saying that he was prevented from trading #1's is just not true. He could have easily traded future #1's but did not -- which to me may be the best thing he gave the franchise because that was the philosophy that put the Knicks in the s#!thole to begin with. And cap space was created under his watch -- again going against all Knick trends in recent times. I am not saying he was without fault, of course not. But the degree of hatred that rushes to pummel him with no objectivity I find...well interesting.

Phil Jackson was present for four Knicks drafts, he didn't have first round picks in two of those drafts.

In 2014, he did not have a first round pick
In 2015, he could not trade the Porzingis pick UNTIL the night of that draft after the Knicks selected a player with the 4th overall because of the Stepien Rule. At this point, he could NOT trade the 2017 first round pick because of the Stepien Rule
In 2016, he did not have a first round pick
In 2017, he could not have traded the Frank N pick until the conclusion of the 2016 draft

Teams do not typically trade for picks five years into the future. It happens pretty rarely. It's because opposing GMs know they will likely be fired before those returns are realized. Teams do not typically trade their own picks five years into the future. The Paul George to the Clippers trade is a total anomaly to the marketplace.

Phil Jackson did not return phone calls. Other front offices, besides Chicago where he had ties, didn't want to even bother talking with him. The only reason the Knicks kept lines open in Dallas was because Mills and Donnie Nelson knew each other through USA Basketball. Mills was not a formally trained GM and did not have decision making power.

At several points, Jackson could not trade the Knicks first round picks. Because of how teams actually trade, he could not practically trade picks 5 years into the future.

Aside from that, Phil Jackson

- Gave Melo a No Trade Clause
- Traded for a huge injury risk in the middle of legal problems for rape, giving up a 2nd round pick, a recently drafted first round pick and his only true value FA signing in Robin Lopez
- Traded Tyson Chandler, whom he could have simply contract dumped if it got bad enough. Chandler still had enough value back then for that. Instead he took back Calderon, a bad contract who couldn't run his offense and couldn't play defense.
- Used this cap space you are talking about to sign Noah for 72 million dollars and Lance Thomas for 27 million
- Did not see the value of 2nd round picks and traded a staggering number of them considering the barren roster

Phil Jackson inherited a bad situation. Many things he walked into were not his fault

Phil Jackson then proceeded to take every inherited bad situation and made them all worse. That's all his fault.

Phil Jackson set our beloved Knicks franchise 5-7 years.

Here's objectivity for you - Phil Jackson would have caused the Knicks less damage if he did nothing. If he literally walked in and touched nothing. No trades, no signings, no drafting.

Do you know what the dumbest part of all this? Jackson could have hired a GM trained to do the job and left him alone. That's it. Just picked a guy on any list from any article talking about front office rising stars. He could have walked into the Knicks headquarters, walked into his office, picked up the phone once, hired a guy groomed to be a GM and told him to run it as he saw fit, then closed the door and never had to walk out of it. That's it. That's all Jackson had to do to actually help this team.

I make two main points -- future draft picks and cap space (notwithstanding his two #1's KP and Frank were pretty fair choices). Phil could have traded future draft picks including the 2018 and 2019 picks -- just a year or two in the future. Former Knick GMs did just that sort of thing. In 2011 the Knicks gave the Nuggets their 2014 #1. !n 2013 Bargnani cost a 2016 #1. And so on. You saying teams don't trade picks 5 years in the future has no relevance here. I won't argue with the other points you pile on which have nothing to do with my main point which is why not give credit where it is due? But that is not going to happen here or with the majority "Frank"ly -- the verdict is given, the narrative is set. I accept and respect your strong dislike of Phil Jackson and his regime for the Knicks but the truth is the truth -- he did not trade #1's and left us cap space among a couple of other things.

Kristaps Porzingis Tore Up His Knee Again.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy