[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Lavar ball wants middle son gelo to be signed with knicks if knicks draft lamelo ball per sny ian begley
Author Thread
houston20
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8797

7/9/2020  7:55 PM
The crazy nonsense of lavar ball continues

Sources: Multiple teams aware that LaMelo Ball wants to land with Knicks in 2020 NBA Draft
Ian Begley NBA Insider
7/9/2020 3:52pm

We’re still more than six weeks away from the NBA Draft Lottery. Plenty can change between now and when the ping pong balls start to bounce.

But all 30 teams are engaged in draft prep in one form or another. Teams not in Orlando – like the Knicks – are probably spending more time and resources on draft prep than teams participating in the NBA restart.

As teams do their homework on players in the draft, there’s been a consistent theme about LaMelo Ball: multiple teams believe Ball and those in his circle prefer that he lands in New York. (Those teams have picks projected later in the first round than the Knicks, for what it’s worth.)

The intel from the teams align with what LaVar Ball, LaMelo’s father, has said about his son and the Knicks and from previous reporting.

The New York Post reported last month that some in the NBA believe LaVar Ball will try to ‘steer’ LaMelo to the Knicks. But the report didn’t suggest how Ball would actually do that.

If the Knicks ended up with a pick outside the top three, they’d probably have to trade up to draft Ball. Would Leon Rose & Co. have interest in trading assets to move up and take him? That’s unclear. But, as of last month, the club had Ball ranked as the top point guard on its board.

How else could he end up on the Knicks? Ball and his camp could withhold medical information from teams and refuse to interview with them in an effort to get him to drop to New York.

In an interview last month on the ‘Say Less with Kaz’ podcast, LaVar Ball expanded on why he’d like to see LaMelo in New York. He made it clear that he wants the team that selects LaMelo to sign his middle son, LiAngelo Ball.

When asked if he thought New York was the ideal landing spot, LaVar Ball said, ‘Oh yes.’

Here was Ball’s explanation: “They don’t have anything. The last time they won a championship was back in the 1970s. The bright lights, you need a whole new turnaround over there. The person I want to see (LaMelo) play with – he can play with anybody. I want to see him play (with), they got to know this – if you getting Melo, you getting Gelo (LiAngelo Ball). That boy shoot the heck out of that ball. Play with chemistry with (LaMelo) better than everybody ever. And after that you have a chance to get ‘Zo (Lonzo Ball). You don’t need one person to change no franchise. You need a whole culture change, and that takes all three of my boys. All three of my boys on the same team? Who ain’t going to watch that show? That would be the biggest show in the NBA ever.”

Whether the Knicks would be open to signing LiAngelo Ball or acquiring Lonzo Ball via trade or restricted free agency is unknown. But it’s logical to think that those prerequisites may give teams interested in drafting LaMelo Ball second thoughts.

LaMelo Ball
From a roster building perspective, LaVar Ball said his sons would be willing to accept less money in future contracts to help fill out the rest of a team’s roster.

“The sacrifices that my boys are going to make is they’re not going to hold the franchise hostage,” Ball said. “…. (They’d say) give us $30 (million) each, take the other $60 (million) and get us some rebounders and shot blockers.

“They’re going to make so much money off the court, they won’t worry about money on the court,” Ball added.

To underline the importance of his sons accepting less money on future contracts, Ball pointed to the Portland Trailblazers.

“You’ve got $300 million tied up in two guards (Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum) – you ain’t going to never win a title,” Ball said. “…. When you tie up all the money in two players, it ain't going to happen like that.”

There is an assumption that some teams may be wary of drafting LaMelo Ball because of LaVar Ball’s outspoken nature. The Lakers asked him to tone down his criticism of then Lakers coach Luke Walton to create a more positive atmosphere around Lonzo Ball. We’ll find out in October if there are any teams wary of drafting LaMelo Ball because of the presence of his father.

In the podcast interview last month, LaVar Ball said that he didn’t see LaMelo Ball as an ideal fit for Golden State, which finished with the worst record in the NBA in 2019-20.

“That’s the part I don’t like about Golden State, they’ve got Klay (Thompson) and the other guys and now you want to put Melo in that mix to say, ‘You’ve got to follow these guys.’ Melo ain’t no follower. He don’t need to do what they do. Let them do they thing. Don’t be like, ‘Melo got to wait his turn.’ And wait two or three years to go by and say he’s got to learn from the veterans? It ain’t about that. Can he play or not?’”

Lastly, Ball discussed Lonzo, LaMelo and LiAngelo recently signing with Raymond Brothers of Roc Nation Sports, the company founded by Jay Z. Lonzo Ball had been represented by two different agents prior signing with Roc Nation.

“Everybody knows my bottom line, which is: I want all three of my boys on the same team at some point – and hopefully sooner than later.

“That’s the main goal (for) all these (agents) that we choose from day one, to build up to. Let’s say you get (to represent) Lonzo, and if my other (agent) would have got Gelo a summer league try or something like that, he still would have been an agent. So now, it would have been Melo’s time, he still would have been the agent.

"Same thing with CAA (Ball’s last agency). If you would have did things the way – not the way you wanted things done - the way I want things done. You’re working for us – get it done our way. But if you're going to have your own little lane, the way you want to do it, guess what? Next. Until we find somebody who fits what we’re trying to do.

“And like I said, we’re trying to do something special. ...What I set out to do is put all three of my boys in the NBA. That might be a crazy goal for someone else. But to me, I know what I put in as far as training my boys and the time that I put in with them.”

https://www.sny.tv/articles/sources-multiple-teams-aware-that-lamelo-ball-wants-to-land-with-knicks-in-2020-nba-draft

AUTOADVERT
wargames
Member: #6053

7/9/2020  9:26 PM
Oh God..... this is just..... I just can’t
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/9/2020  10:49 PM
Fired CAA cuz Gelo deserves a tryout?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/10/2020  6:55 AM
My understanding is that Gelo isn’t anything close to an nba prospect. I was reading that he was really a mid major prospect coming out of high school but obviously had the UCLA scholarship due to his brothers.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/10/2020  8:06 AM
Please God, give the Knicks the wisdom to stay away from this clown.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/10/2020  8:33 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:Please God, give the Knicks the wisdom to stay away from this clown.

Don't worry. This is his way of keeping Melo away from the Knicks...I hope.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
houston20
Member: #8797

7/10/2020  10:52 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:Please God, give the Knicks the wisdom to stay away from this clown.

To be honest and i hate to say this but wish knicks drop 10 to avoid this clown family because if the knicks draft lamelo ball its going to be an epic screw up especially if land number 1 pick. If the knicks drop to 10 we could probably chose between arron nesmith or kira lewis which would probably be better players then lamelo ball. I really have no confidence in leon rose and front office if they get number 1 pick and pick this clown lamelo ball and his clown family its just going to be really bad pick.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/10/2020  1:51 PM
houston20 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

To be honest and i hate to say this but wish knicks drop 10 to avoid this clown family because if the knicks draft lamelo ball its going to be an epic screw up especially if land number 1 pick. If the knicks drop to 10 we could probably chose between arron nesmith or kira lewis which would probably be better players then lamelo ball. I really have no confidence in leon rose and front office if they get number 1 pick and pick this clown lamelo ball and his clown family its just going to be really bad pick.

The problem is there's no real #1 pick in this draft. To put into context, Barrett would be the clear-cut #1 pick this year if he didn't reclassify at a younger age and went into college with his original age group. It's a bad draft at the top.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/10/2020  5:07 PM
houston20 wrote:they got to know this – if you getting Melo, you getting Gelo (LiAngelo Ball). That boy shoot the heck out of that ball. Play with chemistry with (LaMelo) better than everybody ever. And after that you have a chance to get ‘Zo (Lonzo Ball). You don’t need one person to change no franchise. You need a whole culture change, and that takes all three of my boys. All three of my boys on the same team? Who ain’t going to watch that show? That would be the biggest show in the NBA ever.”

All three brothers have some really screwy shooting mechanics. Lonzo Ball has been in the league for a short while so you can see progression on his shot gradually. They are all pretty advanced ( to their level) in understanding how to read the floor. Lonzo has the best understanding of how to manage game flow. LiAngelo Ball isn't an NBA player. As a tax to sign Lonzo Ball as a free agent one day? Maybe, hard to say.

Will LaMelo Ball fall? It would take a couple of things. Where Wiseman goes specifically ( he will go before Ball in most cases) and how teams feel about Deni A.

I suspect the Warriors would be OK trading back from 1 to 6.

LaVar Ball is right though. From a marketing standpoint, the three brothers together in NY would generate interest.

If LaVar Ball wants all three to have long NBA careers, he should talk less and find more ways to help LiAngelo Ball improve. This is where the situation is unfortunate, the combo of LiBalls theft issue and the looming problem of his dad's mouth makes it much harder to find opportunities as a truly fringe guy.

Of course if LaMelo Ball wins in NY, imagine the headlines "NY has finally found the right Melo to save the entire city"

The Balls did not drop CAA, CAA dropped them. Roc Nation has developed a reputation for trying to strong arm people first and foremost. Not sure if there are any bridges left in MLB that Jay Z did not burn to the ground.

Can Melo Ball help the Knicks win basketball games? He needs to be the primary ballhandler to be useful. RJ Barrett will have to accept that for it to work. Unless that comes together, it won't work. Even if it comes together, the shooting woes become a different issue.

If Melo Ball falls ( unlikely), should the Knicks take him? I think they should try to trade back. Although a functional trade might not be there for them.

Lavar ball wants middle son gelo to be signed with knicks if knicks draft lamelo ball per sny ian begley

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy