[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Here's the case for keeping Miller as head coach!
Author Thread
NoDaysOff85
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8865

7/9/2020  3:06 PM
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/9/2020  3:09 PM
I don't see him getting a real shot at it, but i would love to see him as the Associate Head Coach which i think is very realistic and he's certainly earned.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/10/2020  11:17 AM
The losing has become so normally that fans are rooting for a coach who was what..12 games under 500, looking slightly better than Fizdale.

assistant coach is his calling

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/10/2020  11:22 AM
knicks1248 wrote:The losing has become so normally that fans are rooting for a coach who was what..12 games under 500, looking slightly better than Fizdale.

You know who else was 12+ games under .500 his first shot at head coach? Gregg Popovich

Miller when 17-27 this season, Pop when 17-47 his first taking over the David Robin'less Spurs.

I really don't understand how posters definitely state one thing or another when they literally have zero clue to make that assessment.

If you have a keen eye in assessing head coaches and assistant coaches, spell it out for us.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/10/2020  12:09 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:The losing has become so normally that fans are rooting for a coach who was what..12 games under 500, looking slightly better than Fizdale.

You know who else was 12+ games under .500 his first shot at head coach? Gregg Popovich

Miller when 17-27 this season, Pop when 17-47 his first taking over the David Robin'less Spurs.

I really don't understand how posters definitely state one thing or another when they literally have zero clue to make that assessment.

If you have a keen eye in assessing head coaches and assistant coaches, spell it out for us.

Gregg Pop was an entirely different circumstances
After the Spurs had a 3–15 start in the 1996–97 season, with David Robinson sidelined with a preseason back injury, Popovich fired coach Bob Hill and named himself head coach

They essentially tanked for Duncan, and won a championship the very next season

My preference is Thibs,

I'm not saying miller was terrible, but there are better and more establish coaches them him on the list.

our last few inexperience coaches(3 straight) resulted in massive losses, can't see why you would want to continue doing that

ES
mikesknicks
Member: #684
USA
7/10/2020  2:14 PM
They essentially tanked for Duncan, and won a championship the very next season
My preference is Thibs,

I'm not saying Miller was terrible, but there are better and more establish coaches them him on the list.

our last few inexperience coaches(3 straight) resulted in massive losses, can't see why you would want to continue doing that

I completely agree. I don't get all the Miller love? Under Miller Mitch still didn't start and RJ wasn't the focal point of the offense it was Randle and I don't have a problem with Randle being on the team, but are these two your future or not?

In the Knick of time. Knickal for Your thoughts.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/10/2020  2:52 PM
Knixkik wrote:I don't see him getting a real shot at it, but i would love to see him as the Associate Head Coach which i think is very realistic and he's certainly earned.
this is an unpopular opinion around here but why? Why has he "certainly earned" anything as far as the head coach gig?

His resume includes 13 college years with a record of 162-209
He ranged from OK to great for Westchester in 3 years
He was better than Fizdale
He's likable and hard working

What am I missing? I saw Miller repeatedly cave to Elf/Randle every time down the floor when that ball should have been going to RJ more. Mitch never attempted a jump shot. Frank improved... I mean OK, where is the "we gotta keep this guy in charge" piece of info I am missing?

meanwhile a guy who's the leading candidate (prolly because he would be pretty phucking good here) Thibs gets trashed here for stuff like "not building his bench" while he was winning 60 games

It really just doesnt make sense to me. No reason to kick Miller to the curb, he's nice and Im not being sarcastic. Maybe G league is his niche and we really invest in developing players. There's just no logical way to say Miller is better choice than Thibs. Its pure emotion and sentiment.

People should be excited about Thibs coming here. Jason Kidd is the one to avoid.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/10/2020  3:57 PM
mikesknicks wrote:I don't get all the Miller love?

The coach becomes irrelevant without the needed talent to succeed

You could bring Chuck Daly back from the grave and this team would still not make the playoffs.

Miller is getting some burn in the public eye for many reasons

1) He's been loyal and this helps him in general to be seen as a head coaching candidate. Might not help him in this job, but it helps him in the entire league

2) It helps the Knicks to look like they have coaches in their system who are seen as rising stars

3) In most cases, teams have already picked their coach, but they need to formulate a process in public for the sake of marketing the team/keeping the team in the public conversation. Also these teams have relationships with agents, and coaches under those agents are rewarded as a gesture of goodwill to keep the relationship stable. Something to understand is when a player gets into some really ugly dirty **** off the court, he's probably calling his agent first. His agent has to bury that nasty **** and keep it from the team so the team can deny they knew anything for as long as possible.

I know some people want to call Leon Rose another fraud man front for Dolan, but he's just a super powerful and wealthy janitor. No one envies his job in pro sports, he had to clean up A LOT of **** for players.

As an NBA franchise, you need to have a functional relationship with agents out there.

4) For optics, you need to, in this current climate, interview a range of coaches. Old, young, black, white, fat, thin, etc. Let's just very very very real here. Any NBA team who doesn't hire a black coach is going to open itself up for problems, even if they simply picked the guy they think can help them win who happens to not be black. The interview process needs to look exhaustive

5) Every coach you interview, is giving you tells on how he coaches and his methodology, you store that later if you have to play against him later when he's on a different team. Much of the interview process is scenario based.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/15/2020  11:04 AM
fishmike wrote:
Knixkik wrote:I don't see him getting a real shot at it, but i would love to see him as the Associate Head Coach which i think is very realistic and he's certainly earned.
this is an unpopular opinion around here but why? Why has he "certainly earned" anything as far as the head coach gig?

His resume includes 13 college years with a record of 162-209
He ranged from OK to great for Westchester in 3 years
He was better than Fizdale
He's likable and hard working

What am I missing? I saw Miller repeatedly cave to Elf/Randle every time down the floor when that ball should have been going to RJ more. Mitch never attempted a jump shot. Frank improved... I mean OK, where is the "we gotta keep this guy in charge" piece of info I am missing?

meanwhile a guy who's the leading candidate (prolly because he would be pretty phucking good here) Thibs gets trashed here for stuff like "not building his bench" while he was winning 60 games

It really just doesnt make sense to me. No reason to kick Miller to the curb, he's nice and Im not being sarcastic. Maybe G league is his niche and we really invest in developing players. There's just no logical way to say Miller is better choice than Thibs. Its pure emotion and sentiment.

People should be excited about Thibs coming here. Jason Kidd is the one to avoid.

He was saying for Miller to be the lead assistant coach, I think, on whoever gets picked.

I like Miller. Are there better coaches out there, sure.

But, what kind of roster are we realistically putting on the floor next year?

I though Miller's strength was development and teaching guys. He did that in the G League for us. I thought I saw it in games at time.

Elf/Randle were our pros. I'll give criticism about how maybe Payton apparently froze out RJ, others. However, I'm more likely to believe that it was Payton's lack of talent, skill and experience.

RJ should have gotten more shots? I don't think he was ready. Why force feed someone, and potentially get them injured or developing bad habits?

Same for Mitch - you are criticizing Miller for not having Mitch attempt a jump shot? He played within his skill set, and did great.

We weren't winning squat last year, and I doubt we'll win much next year if and when the NBA starts their next season.

I'd keep miller for consistency and to continue to work with guys. But, if you bring in someone else, that's great too. I'm intrigued by Jason Kidd. If he has grown past the DWI's and other issues, he'd be exactly what we need to make up for the lack of PG success this franchise has essentially had with very few exceptions since Frazier.

Here's the case for keeping Miller as head coach!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy