[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks extending their coaching search...
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
6/22/2020  4:12 PM

Wasn’t there some sort of controversy when he was GM or coach last time? What was it? Also a bit wary of his track record regarding alcohol and domestic violence

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/22/2020  4:28 PM
All these guys that are not head coaches that were have blemishes.
All the guys that are not assistants don't, but not all will rise up to the task.
In both cases not everything is in their control to achieve. Fiz never got to coach KP.
Sometimes shyt happens.
Kidd in BKN and again in Milwaukee was too intense? Same as Thibs, can he dial it back?
Does experience help? Darn right it does.
In the last 20 years we have had every single type. The HOF's, COY's, interims, Retreads, and the fresh guy!
They all had seperate issues. Some came and succeeded elsewhere. Some faded. We had guys quit, not get renewed, Fired and exiled!!!
WE had the coaching GOAT but he was not hired to coach!!!!!!
We had A president told to go coach the team as a form of punishment or chance at redemption. It too did not work.
For a team b-lining it to hire Thibs it sure is not acting like one!
I have read there is much to learn in the interviewing process and looksl ike Leon is on TASK!
That, or he is building up his prospective pipeline to be an agent if this gig goes south!
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/22/2020  4:44 PM
https://dailyknicks.com/2020/06/22/new-york-knicks-jason-kidd-interview-link-giannis/

Knicks Rumors: Jason Kidd to interview for head coach as possible link to Giannis?
by Jeffrey Bellone22 seconds ago
Add Jason Kidd to the list of New York Knicks head coaching candidates.
The New York Knicks will interview former New York Knicks guard and current Los Angeles Lakers assistant Jason Kidd for their head coaching position, per Marc Stein of the New York Times.

New York’s interest in the Hall-of-Fame player was first reported by Ian Begley of SNY. And perhaps their interest is tied to something bigger.

According to Newsday, some teams interested in adding Kidd to their bench think he could provide a link to superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo who is set to become a free agent in 2021. Kidd coached Giannis for nearly four seasons in Milwaukee, before being fired during the 2017-18 season.

Jason Kidd was part of the best New York Knicks team under James Dolan.
Knicks fans remember Kidd fondly for his last season playing in the NBA which coincided with the lone season the Knicks were legitimate contenders during the ownership of James Dolan. Kidd provided lethal three-point shooting and veteran leadership to the squad that won 54 games and advanced to the second round of the playoffs in 2012-13.

Since retiring from the NBA, Kidd has coached the Brooklyn Nets (2013-2014) and Milwaukee Bucks (2014-2018). He holds a 183-190 career head coaching record. After losing his job in Milwaukee, he was soon hired as an assistant with the Lakers.

Kidd is the 11th name to receive an interview for the Knicks head coaching position, per public knowledge. He joins a long list of assistants from across the league, including Chris Fleming (Bulls), Pat Delany (Magic), Will Hardy (Spurs), Mike Brown (Warriors), Jamahl Mosley (Mavericks), and Ime Udoka (76ers).

I hope the bold is not a motivating factor in hiring Kidd! It will be the same mistake we made hiring Fiz thinking he would help recruit KD and others...

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/22/2020  11:02 PM
I like Kidd because he might be able to develop Mitch into something like Giannis. He'll help these Knicks become more willing passers and make winning plays. And let's not forget we have a whole bunch of PG-types on the roster that need serious mentoring.

He may not be the guy that ultimately leads us to a title, but I'd feel pretty good he'd get us to .500 and fighting for some playoff booty.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
wargames
Member: #6053

6/28/2020  3:15 PM
Honestly the more i think about it the more I am surprised the media doesn't see Kidd as a legit option and hype him up.

Yeah we heard about his connetion to Giannis, but I don't think the Knicks are chasing him and that was lazy reporting. There are a lot of reasons to think Kidd has a legit shot and might be the candidate to beat

1) He played for the last good knicks team
2) is respected by everyone (regardless of his personal problems)
3) is a championship PG
4) is a top 50 player and top 25 PG
5) coached in NY before
6) was a key part in developing the Bucks and I mean the whole team from scrubs to roleplayers to stars
7) Vets and stars respect him
8) is the lead assistant for the best team in the league
9) if we draft a PG we would already have a mentor and wouldn't have to trade for one
10) He has a good relationship wth James Dolan

The only negative about him is he was horrible coaching defense and most (if not all) the assistant coaches that the Knicks have talked to are defensive/development coaches who would slot right next to him.

Kidd/Udoke, or Kidd/Mosley would be a real dynamic coaching duo with some good ties to USA Basketball that could help draw in FA.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Uptown

6/28/2020  3:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2020  3:42 PM
wargames wrote:Honestly the more i think about it the more I am surprised the media doesn't see Kidd as a legit option and hype him up.

Yeah we heard about his connetion to Giannis, but I don't think the Knicks are chasing him and that was lazy reporting. There are a lot of reasons to think Kidd has a legit shot and might be the candidate to beat

3) is a championship PG
5) coached in NY before
6) was a key part in developing the Bucks and I mean the whole team from scrubs to roleplayers to stars
9) if we draft a PG we would already have a mentor and wouldn't have to trade for one

The only negative about him is he was horrible coaching defense and most (if not all) the assistant coaches that the Knicks have talked to are defensive/development coaches who would slot right next to him.

Kidd/Udoke, or Kidd/Mosley would be a real dynamic coaching duo with some good ties to USA Basketball that could help draw in FA.

The media seems more concerned about his ties to Giannis as opposed to whether or not Kidd deserves the job on his own merit....

All along, I think most of us figured Thibs as the HC was a foregone conclusion. Of all the names on the list, Kidd, I think is the most realistic threat to Thibs and can possibly land the job.

He is well respected among the players in the league. Like Atkinson, Kidd has NY ties, not only as a player but as a coach. I prefer Atkinson or Kidd over Thibs...

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/28/2020  4:15 PM
Kidd seems a bit iffy character wise- DUI, domestic abuse, power play with the Nets (ended up failing and going to the bucks, and that was after the shenanigans with his associate head coach Laurence Frank), that stunt where he got the player to knock the water on him. Seem to remember some poster/former ball boy saying he used to drink a lot (no idea if true or not).
wargames

6/28/2020  5:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2020  5:18 PM
smackeddog wrote:Kidd seems a bit iffy character wise- DUI, domestic abuse, power play with the Nets (ended up failing and going to the bucks, and that was after the shenanigans with his associate head coach Laurence Frank), that stunt where he got the player to knock the water on him. Seem to remember some poster/former ball boy saying he used to drink a lot (no idea if true or not).

Like I said "Good relationship with Dolan" and he's pretty smart. That's the stuff Dolan likes and you pair him with a guy like Udoka or Mosley so there is a clear understanding his replacement is on the coaching roster. Also these personal problems are well known, I think he'll be ok as long as he avoids another incident.

Nalod
USA
6/28/2020  9:03 PM
wargames wrote:Honestly the more i think about it the more I am surprised the media doesn't see Kidd as a legit option and hype him up.

3) is a championship PG
5) coached in NY before

1. Relevence/?
2. Respected to also get fired.
3. Isiah also champion..
4. Can he play or coach?
5. Relevence?
6. What happend that he got fired?
8. Tangable.
9. Isn’t that a coaches job?
10. Don’t they all?

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/29/2020  8:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2020  8:22 AM
Nalod wrote:

3) is a championship PG
5) coached in NY before

1. Relevence/?
3. Isiah also champion..
4. Can he play or coach?
5. Relevence?
8. Tangable.
10. Don’t they all?

Don’t forget how he ditched the Nets and also don’t forget his drunk driving accident the week or the day that or signed with the Knicks. He is not a good influence.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
wargames

6/29/2020  8:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2020  8:56 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

3) is a championship PG
5) coached in NY before

Kidd/Udoke, or Kidd/Mosley, would be a real dynamic coaching duo with some good ties to USA Basketball that could help draw in FA.

1. Relevence/?
3. Isiah also champion..
4. Can he play or coach?
5. Relevence?
8. Tangable.
10. Don’t they all?

Don’t forget how he ditched the Nets and also don’t forget his drunk driving accident the week or the day that or signed with the Knicks. He is not a good influence.

Look, I don’t care. Most fans don’t care. The only people who will care are the media, and it would make them hypocrites because they aren’t caring while Kidd is on the likable Lakers with Lebron.

We’re knicks fans, if there wasn’t shame and drama attached to the FO it would be incompetence. I much rather deal with shame and drama than incompetence.

Also the whole Nets situation is overblown. He tried to get power from Billy King. A GM who would have told told Layden and Isiah “Hold my Beer” when it came to messing up a team through trades and FA signing.

If you listen to what Leon Rose said I honestly don’t think there is a candidate who hits all his requirements more than Jason Kidd. He has developed whole teams, no one is going to question his leadership in a huddle, and he led both prior teams he was with to the playoffs the first year he was there. Lakers are about to be three. Gossip aside I think he should be looked at as the dark horse candidate.

His only flaw is defense and they’ve been interviewing a ton of assistant coaches who specialize in defense and development. They could pay Udoka/Mosley/Delaney/Hardy/Fleming, etc almost HC money and pair one of them with Kidd.

Knickfury11
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
6/29/2020  9:14 AM
Can’t help but think Kidd would be a positive acquisition. Not perfect far from it, but better than a lot of names that have been rumoured. I’m reasonably open minded just please NO to Thibs...please
Nalod
USA
6/29/2020  5:22 PM
Knickfury11 wrote:Can’t help but think Kidd would be a positive acquisition. Not perfect far from it, but better than a lot of names that have been rumoured. I’m reasonably open minded just please NO to Thibs...please

Why?

BTW mike btown347-215 lifetime. Spent LAST 4 Seasons with Warriors! KIdd a Retread? He got bounced form 2 teams. Same for Thibs. Kidd just got that Cool!
Brown been lead assistant with Warriors. I guess you get a certain age you can’t learn anymore. Kidd 60 games with Lakers and he gets big cred?

Why would some of these assistants leave jobs they already have? THey might be in line to take over current team They coach for? Here they’d work for a new coach not likely going any where for a while? Forget they would want to be assistant here.

Budd took the same team from Kidd and made them much better. GIannis? He was upset when Kidd got the Boot. So was Steph Curry. HE got over it. Why not say “KIdd in Anthony Davis’ ear?
IM impressed Brown stayed 4 years with Warriors.

Knickfury11
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
7/1/2020  11:12 AM
Nalod wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:Can’t help but think Kidd would be a positive acquisition. Not perfect far from it, but better than a lot of names that have been rumoured. I’m reasonably open minded just please NO to Thibs...please

Why?

BTW mike btown347-215 lifetime. Spent LAST 4 Seasons with Warriors! KIdd a Retread? He got bounced form 2 teams. Same for Thibs. Kidd just got that Cool!
Brown been lead assistant with Warriors. I guess you get a certain age you can’t learn anymore. Kidd 60 games with Lakers and he gets big cred?

Why would some of these assistants leave jobs they already have? THey might be in line to take over current team They coach for? Here they’d work for a new coach not likely going any where for a while? Forget they would want to be assistant here.

Budd took the same team from Kidd and made them much better. GIannis? He was upset when Kidd got the Boot. So was Steph Curry. HE got over it. Why not say “KIdd in Anthony Davis’ ear?
IM impressed Brown stayed 4 years with Warriors.

Why not Thibs? Multiple reasons as detailed in link below / utube video.

Nalod
USA
7/1/2020  5:56 PM
Nico offers nothing new.
wargames

7/1/2020  6:14 PM
Nalod wrote:Nico offers nothing new.

However, he’s 100% right

PhilinLA
Member: #696
7/1/2020  7:26 PM
Hardy or we'll be having another search next summer.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Uptown

7/1/2020  9:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/1/2020  9:22 PM
PhilinLA wrote:Hardy or we'll be having another search next summer.

I like Hardy and love his story. He might be the next great young coach in a few years. But I can't see a 32 year not only beating out Atkinson, Thibs and Miller, but landing his first HC job ever, as coach on the NY Knicks.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/2/2020  9:30 AM
Jason Kidd reminds me a bit of George Karl or Donnie Nelson. I would say great basketball mind but obviously some other things creating a bit of a flawed individual who makes questionable choices, bad decisions etc. Not just drunk driving but all sorts of other things. I suspect Rose is doing his due diligence but given some of his statements (to the effect of looking for quality individuals, not just talent) I don't see Kidd as viable.

Also, whether I like it or not, I get the sense the Knicks current plan is first to get to relevance, then think big. Sounds nice. As we all know the trick is sometimes teams get trapped in relevance and then have to pay big money for sub-superstars etc. and they end up perpetually interesting but not real title material. I have to imagine this approach is borne out of frustration (out of playoffs for so long) and economics (sooner or later probably sooner cellar-dwelling will hurt the bottom line). Trading some young guys, FAs, and Tom Thibs seem likely in this scenario. And in a strange ways I can see the parallels that Thibs camp may be selling. Barret as some volume scorer akin to Rose (agree different styles but a guy who can score -- and imagine once his FT% improves). Mitch a very food defensive center akin to Noah...

(5)(5)
PhilinLA
Member: #696
7/2/2020  10:49 AM
Uptown wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:Hardy or we'll be having another search next summer.

I like Hardy and love his story. He might be the next great young coach in a few years. But I can't see a 32 year not only beating out Atkinson, Thibs and Miller, but landing his first HC job ever, as coach on the NY Knicks.

They have to stop doing what they've been doing and that's been hiring one retread after another.

http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Knicks extending their coaching search...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy