[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks extending their coaching search...
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/18/2020  2:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/18/2020  2:03 PM
Knicks interviewing Will Hardy too...Here's a little background...

https://airalamo.com/2019/06/11/san-antonio-spurs-will-hardy-prominent-coaching-role/

The San Antonio Spurs are familiar with having to replace their assistant coaches often as Gregg Popovich’s coaching tree is always in high demand.

Pop’s tree includes the likes of Doc Rivers, Mike Brown, Brett Brown, Monty Williams, and Mike Budenholzer among others that have all gone on to have success after learning from the greatest coach in NBA history.

With Ime Udoka taking Monty Williams’ old job as Brett Brown’s top assistant in Philadelphia and Ettore Messina returning to Italy as the head coach and director of basketball operations with Olimpia Milano, there will be some open spots to fill on the Spurs’ bench next to Gregg Popovich.

Becky Hammon will probably take over as Pop’s top assistant next season, and Woj is reporting that Will Hardy is also expected to step into a bigger role on San Antonio’s staff.

Woj called Hardy “one of the league’s impressive young coaches” as he’s risen up the NBA coaching ranks, and that’s high praise coming from an insider that is extremely plugged in to the coaching community.

Hardy began his NBA coaching career as a basketball operations intern with the Spurs in 2010 before being promoted to the assistant video coordinator position the next year.

Hardy continued to work his way up as he was promoted to the head video coordinator position in 2013 before earning a seat on San Antonio’s bench as an assistant coach six years later
Hardy has experience coaching the Spurs’ squad in the Utah Summer League, which has given him a chance to prove his worth to the organization.

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/18/2020  2:45 PM
Uptown wrote:Knicks interviewing Will Hardy too...Here's a little background...

https://airalamo.com/2019/06/11/san-antonio-spurs-will-hardy-prominent-coaching-role/

The San Antonio Spurs are familiar with having to replace their assistant coaches often as Gregg Popovich’s coaching tree is always in high demand.

Pop’s tree includes the likes of Doc Rivers, Mike Brown, Brett Brown, Monty Williams, and Mike Budenholzer among others that have all gone on to have success after learning from the greatest coach in NBA history.

With Ime Udoka taking Monty Williams’ old job as Brett Brown’s top assistant in Philadelphia and Ettore Messina returning to Italy as the head coach and director of basketball operations with Olimpia Milano, there will be some open spots to fill on the Spurs’ bench next to Gregg Popovich.

Becky Hammon will probably take over as Pop’s top assistant next season, and Woj is reporting that Will Hardy is also expected to step into a bigger role on San Antonio’s staff.

Woj called Hardy “one of the league’s impressive young coaches” as he’s risen up the NBA coaching ranks, and that’s high praise coming from an insider that is extremely plugged in to the coaching community.

Hardy began his NBA coaching career as a basketball operations intern with the Spurs in 2010 before being promoted to the assistant video coordinator position the next year.

Hardy continued to work his way up as he was promoted to the head video coordinator position in 2013 before earning a seat on San Antonio’s bench as an assistant coach six years later
Hardy has experience coaching the Spurs’ squad in the Utah Summer League, which has given him a chance to prove his worth to the organization.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
6/18/2020  3:48 PM
martin wrote:

Uptown

6/18/2020  4:16 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

Thanks for posting...Hardy was very honest and open....glad this was in english

smackeddog
6/18/2020  4:19 PM
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

Thanks for posting...Hardy was very honest and open....glad this was in english

Ha! I learnt German at school, so I was trying to see if I could understand what he was saying- I couldn’t!

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2020  10:46 PM
Thibs might be high on some other teams list. Nets for example. They have a two-three year window.
Leon might be all about getting KAT here. If Thibs is an obstacle then no Thibs. Thats a long shot sort of.
In the process Thibs might be unrelenting to his style and Leon might feel he'll fry out his Yoot. If so, not a good fit here.
Thibs with Rockets? Thibs back in Chicago? Thibs in Philly, and Brett Brown in NY?
In Philly?
with Nets. That could be fun to watch. The Kyrie Implosion is fun to watch also. MDA unrelenting style is cool in my book.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/19/2020  9:56 AM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:Atkinson has a good track record. He is on my top 2 list.

Really????

Atkinson was 118-190 in 3 1/2 seasons of his first NBA head coaching job, and 1-4 in a first round demolishing in the playoffs.

It's all about expectation with the roster you have. And for a team that he inherited, how much did they grow? When you are not a playoff team, player growth is exponentially more important than record (at first), team grown should follow.

The first round demolishing in the playoffs again the 76ers? Tobias Harris, Jimmy Bulter, Ben Simmons, Embiid, JJ Reddick? The team that was one Khawii fall-away 3pt jumpshot from beating? 76ers lost to the eventual champions 3-4.

The next 2-3 years will be growth years for the Knicks and hopefully some playoffs in the second and third years. You want the best teacher and teaching staff.

You can always hire a different coaching staff at that point if it's necessary.

For me, I'm #1 on Atkinson.

+1
The Nets were process-level bad. I'm on the Atkinson train if for no other reason to hope he does extremely well here as a way of ****ting on the Nyets!

But if Leon does sign the Melo farewell tour, we have to bring back Potato Head! All these years later and we never did get that Woodson smilie!

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/19/2020  11:28 AM
smackeddog wrote:<snip>
Why Mark Jackson? I don't get why so many fans are so keen to have him as coach- does none of the stuff that came out of GS bother you? (genuine question, not a criticism!)

The main reason for Mark Jackson is simple. He groomed the Warriors into a winning organization. After seemingly decades of post Nellie suckiness, he built the winner. The team grew over his tenure - 23, 47, 51 wins in his 3 seasons with the team.

His 51-win team's performance in the playoffs was outstanding and they looked like they were on the cusp of being a legit championship contender. Then he was unceremoniously sacked for someone with no head coaching experience.

Steve Kerr was the beneficiary of this - he got a team that was almost all the way there and now looks like a genius. (the real trick to winning in professional sports is being both good and a little bit lucky - in an alternate universe, Steve Kerr joined the Knicks, they fail, and Kerr toils around the league as an assistant coach that only gets calls for the worst teams)

https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/jacksma01c.html

Here's the explanation from a team owner:
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/6/7344165/mark-jackson-warriors-reasons-joe-lacob

It mostly points to disagreements and lack of cohesion with management, and albeit concerning - his own assistant coaching staff. None of those assistant coaches (Brian Scalabrine!?!) were big names... and actually probably sucked.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
PhilinLA
Member: #696
6/19/2020  11:33 AM
Pulling for Will Hardy. Mentored by Pop, and went to my college. Hire him, Knicks!
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
martin
USA
6/19/2020  11:44 AM

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/19/2020  12:30 PM
I'm getting flash back from the Mills and Perry search and their ultimate decision...smh

How do they get these names, did they post this position on INDEED..lol

ES
martin
USA
6/19/2020  12:32 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I'm getting flash back from the Mills and Perry search and their ultimate decision...smh

how do you think it happens?

Uptown

6/19/2020  1:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/19/2020  5:31 PM
PhilinLA wrote:Pulling for Will Hardy. Mentored by Pop, and went to my college. Hire him, Knicks!

Love that we are taking a look at him. Parts of his come up is similar to Eric Spolstra. He needs to WOW them in the interview process because under our current circumstances, I would be surprised if Rose hired him...

Uptown

6/19/2020  1:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I'm getting flash back from the Mills and Perry search and their ultimate decision...smh

Some of these assistant coaches have put in work for years and are ready to command their own team. Mosley has been an assistant for 14 yrs. He has been long overdue for an interview in not a HC position. Same can be said for some of the other assistant coaches we are about to interview. Much rather get, new blood on the sidelines as opposed to the same retreads...

PhilinLA
Member: #696
6/19/2020  2:07 PM
Uptown wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:Pulling for Will Hardy. Mentored by Pop, and went to my college. Hire him, Knicks!

Love that we are taking a look at him. Parts of his come up is similar to Eric Spolstra. He needs to WOW them in the interview process because under our current circumstances, I would be surprised if Rise hired him...

He's got a great pedigree, like Joe Judge did when he knocked the socks off the Giants in his interview and got the job. I expect he will. Let's hope that Rose can fish outside of the Philly pond.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/19/2020  2:18 PM
Thibs paid his dues as an assistant for years with a few teams.
Glad Rose is open to creating opportunities. The process is very good or everyone.

Regarding Mark Jax, owners are rare to goo into that kind of detail when they let go of a coach. The Darren Emmen thing made him look bad but i recall reading Boston quickly picked him up and while its pretty cheesy to get caught recording as he did he sort of had good reason as Jax was really tearing it apart. Jax did a good job but so did the organization putting that team together and think how bad it must have been for them to have fired him. Read between the lines,, he was a night mare. Read between the lines, nobody has so much as sniffed this guy as a coach since.

I love the idea of a fresh new assistant rising to the task. Was hoping Fish and Fiz was all that!
It’s appealing because they come recommended and have no baggage that a “retread” does. All too often they don’t succeed their fist time out. One can say “retread” or “seasoned”.

smackeddog
6/19/2020  4:22 PM
I do like the idea of Mosley, from what I’ve read and the videos on him.

I’m glad we’re checking out some of the potential rising assistant coaches. Also the fact that the only established coaches were interested in are Thibs, Atkinson and Woody, and two of those are primarily developmental, it hopefully suggests we will be going the player development route rather than the quick fix.

smackeddog
6/19/2020  5:09 PM

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/19/2020  5:54 PM
Sounds like Hammond is being groomed as Pops replacement. Glad to hear the Knicks are looking outside of sentimental picks. Rather roll the dice with an unproven but respected asst. coach than a retread with NY ties.
smackeddog
6/22/2020  3:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2020  3:23 PM

Argh! Don’t let this man interview, he’s the greatest at them

Knicks extending their coaching search...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy