[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks extending their coaching search...
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/17/2020  10:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2020  11:23 PM
This is good news in my opinion. I like that we are doing our due diligence. Never liked the idea that it seemed to be Thibs or bust. There are some good, young assistants, especially Ime Udoka, who I think is ready to lead a team. Hopefully, this turns out much better than it did 2 years ago....

https://www.sny.tv/knicks/news/sources-knicks-plan-to-speak-to-at-least-8-10-candidates-during-head-coaching-search/313520328

The Knicks plan to speak to at least 8-10 coaches during a head-coaching search that will likely stretch into next month, league sources told SNY.

The search is expected to conclude before regular-season games begin in Orlando as part of the restart to the 2019-20 season.

Chicago assistant Chris Fleming is expected to be among those coaches interviewed by New York, SNY has learned.

The Knicks began reaching out to potential candidates in recent days, per sources. New York had already planned to interview interim head coach Mike Miller, former Nets head coach Kenny Atkinson, former Bulls and Timberwolves coach Tom Thibodeau and former Knicks coach Mike Woodson.

It's unclear who else New York will interview. Jason Kidd and Mark Jackson both have fans in the organization. There is some support in the organization for Kidd to be among those who get an interview for the opening, per sources. Spurs assistant Becky Hammon was described by a source as a name to keep an eye on, as Newsday first reported.

There is also some interest in bringing in former Cavs head coach Mike Brown in for an interview, per sources.

It would make sense if other ascendant assistant coaches, such as Milwaukee's Darvin Ham, get an audience with New York.

Agents and coaches who have a vested interest in the Knicks' process have long believed that new team president Leon Rose is most likely to hire Thibodeau. But there is legitimate internal support for Atkinson, as SNY reported last week.

Miller is expected to be offered another role with the Knicks next season if the club chooses to go in another direction with the head coach. As SNY reported, Rose was thoroughly impressed by Miller in the brief time he spent around the coach before the season was suspended.

76ers assistant Ime Udoka and Magic assistant Pat Delany have also been reported as candidates.

Udoka, 42, was an assistant under Gregg Popovich with the San Antonio Spurs for seven seasons before joining Brett Brown's staff in Philadelphia for the 2019-20 season. Udoka is Brown's lead assistant. In San Antonio, Udoka aided in the player development of Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green, DeJounte Murray and others. Player development is seen as a pivotal for New York, which has several young players on the roster.

Prior to joining the coaching ranks, Udoka played seven seasons in the NBA, including a brief stint with the Knicks is 2005-06.

Delany, meanwhile, has been an assistant with Orlando for five seasons after rising through the Miami Heat organization, where he spent one season as their G League head coach and worked with Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra. He also spent four seasons as an assistant with the Charlotte Hornets.

Delany has worked with several established players early in their careers, including Kemba Walker, Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac. He's coached under Steve Clifford, who coached with Thibodeau in New York.

Fleming has coached in Denver and Brooklyn. With the Nets, he was one of Atkinson's lead assistants. Fleming has also coached the German men's national team.

The Knicks' plans to interview Udokah were first reported by The Athletic. The club's plans to interview Delany were first reported by ESPN.

AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
6/17/2020  10:54 PM
There are a lot of coaches available that would be good bets to get the Knicks playing at a higher level night in, night out.

The coaches I'd have the most confidence in delivering us a .500 team AND player development (in no particular order):
Mark Jackson, Thibs, Atkinson, Jason Kidd

The next "confidence tier" would be all of the guys named Mike: Mike Miller, Mike Woodson, and Mike Brown. (Of all of the coaches named, Mike Brown may have the highest career win-loss record, largely thanks to his tenure with Lebron James)

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Uptown

6/17/2020  11:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2020  11:29 PM
technomaster wrote:There are a lot of coaches available that would be good bets to get the Knicks playing at a higher level night in, night out.

The coaches I'd have the most confidence in delivering us a .500 team AND player development (in no particular order):

The next "confidence tier" would be all of the guys named Mike: Mike Miller, Mike Woodson, and Mike Brown. (Of all of the coaches named, Mike Brown may have the highest career win-loss record, largely thanks to his tenure with Lebron James)

Of the names I've read, Atkinson and Udoka are my top 2 candidates. Both have extensive success and background with player development. Obviously, Atkinson has done it as a lead coach while Udoka has done is as an assistant. Being from Pops coaching tree is an added bonus as he was groomed in a winning organization.

If the Knicks do not hire Mike Miller as head coach, I'm hoping they do not force him on the incumbent coach as the assistant similar to the way Rambis was forced on Fish and Hornacek. The head coach should be allowed to formulate his or her own staff.

I have zero interest in any of the Mike's...

wargames
Member: #6053

6/18/2020  2:08 AM
Uptown wrote:
technomaster wrote:There are a lot of coaches available that would be good bets to get the Knicks playing at a higher level night in, night out.

Of the names I've read, Atkinson and Udoka are my top 2 candidates. Both have extensive success and background with player development. Obviously, Atkinson has done it as a lead coach while Udoka has done is as an assistant. Being from Pops coaching tree is an added bonus as he was groomed in a winning organization.

If the Knicks do not hire Mike Miller as head coach, I'm hoping they do not force him on the incumbent coach as the assistant similar to the way Rambis was forced on Fish and Hornacek. The head coach should be allowed to formulate his or her own staff.

I feel exactly the same way. Udoka and Atkinson sound the most promising.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/18/2020  2:55 AM

Why Mark Jackson? I don't get why so many fans are so keen to have him as coach- does none of the stuff that came out of GS bother you? (genuine question, not a criticism!)

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/18/2020  6:49 AM
Uptown wrote:
This is good news in my opinion. I like that we are doing our due diligence.
Never liked the idea that it seemed to be Thibs or bust. There are some good, young assistants, especially Ime Udoka, who I think is ready to lead a team. Hopefully, this turns out much better than it did 2 years ago....

Could be a front so it looks like they did their due diligence, and lets be real, you could interview a 100 potentials and still pick the wrong person.

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2020  7:49 AM
Funny that in the past I repelled from Thibs given his intense focus and did not see him as a fit for the front office and personnel we had. With a clean slate he is at the top of my list for two reasons:

1. He is who he with a track record. When Jax hired Fish he did not get who he hired. When Isiah hired Larry he did not reconcile the force of nature he was bringing in. You bring in Thibs you understand what your buying. Of the group he has the best coaching chops.
2. With that in mind he has to demonstrate an understanding of his shortcomings and how he plans on not being “Too much of a good thing”. AKA, dude is a relentless worker/control freak.

Because this is a new front office its a new culture and he can lay the ground work foundational. I like the developmental abilities of all three but Thibs has proven he can develop players and win. Question is doe he burn down the house doing so?
Funny thing is Udoka replaced Scott Layden on the SAS bench!!! Scott is the GM in Minny even still.

Uptown

6/18/2020  9:30 AM
wargames wrote:
Uptown wrote:

A part of me feels that this is all for show and that Thibs may be a done deal. I hope this is not the case and all the candidates have a legit shot...I want the Knicks to come out of this with the best coach that can develop its players and lead us into the future. No agendas or favors....

knicks1248
6/18/2020  9:40 AM
Uptown wrote:
wargames wrote:
Uptown wrote:

A part of me feels that this is all for show and that Thibs may be a done deal. I hope this is not the case and all the candidates have a legit shot...I want the Knicks to come out of this with the best coach that can develop its players and lead us into the future. No agendas or favors....

You have to be sick of young coach's with no real track record. I think the only way you hire a young coach is if the situation was like JVG when he became the HC of the knicks.

He knew the system, already had relationships and the respect of the players, and had several veteran leaders.

Atkinson and Udoka is another fizdale/JH/Fisher...especially if 80% of this roster stays in tact

ES
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/18/2020  9:53 AM
Atkinson has a good track record. He is on my top 2 list.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Uptown

6/18/2020  9:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/18/2020  10:04 AM
Nalod wrote:Funny that in the past I repelled from Thibs given his intense focus and did not see him as a fit for the front office and personnel we had. With a clean slate he is at the top of my list for two reasons:

1. He is who he with a track record. When Jax hired Fish he did not get who he hired. When Isiah hired Larry he did not reconcile the force of nature he was bringing in. You bring in Thibs you understand what your buying. Of the group he has the best coaching chops.
2. With that in mind he has to demonstrate an understanding of his shortcomings and how he plans on not being “Too much of a good thing”. AKA, dude is a relentless worker/control freak.

Because this is a new front office its a new culture and he can lay the ground work foundational. I like the developmental abilities of all three but Thibs has proven he can develop players and win. Question is doe he burn down the house doing so?
Funny thing is Udoka replaced Scott Layden on the SAS bench!!! Scott is the GM in Minny even still.

No doubt, Thibs has the best track record, is a winner and coached in NY. He's from the Van Gundy tree so most of the NY media will back this signing.

To play devils advocate, his division titles and winning seasons were before the current pace & space style of play. The defensive system that he employed and won with in Boston and Chi, wasn't as good in Minny. "Here’s where the Wolves ranked in points allowed per 100 possessions in 2016-17, 2017-18 and as of Jan. 7 this season: No. 27, No. 25, No. 17." As far as development is concerned, it wasn't difficult to develop a freak athlete and number 1 pick in Rose. Also, he didn't do a good job of developing Wiggins who got worse under Thibs!

In the end, I get the reasoning for the Knicks hiring Thibs: his winning track record and his NY ties. Its the safer pick especially for PR purposes as most of the media will accept it. But, I'm not so sure he's the correct pick for the current state of this team.

Uptown

6/18/2020  9:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/18/2020  10:00 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
wargames wrote:
Uptown wrote:

You have to be sick of young coach's with no real track record. I think the only way you hire a young coach is if the situation was like JVG when he became the HC of the knicks.

He knew the system, already had relationships and the respect of the players, and had several veteran leaders.

Atkinson and Udoka is another fizdale/JH/Fisher...especially if 80% of this roster stays in tact

Disagree with the bold. Atkinson has proven way more than Fiz/Fish/JH.....Atkinson has done in BK what we have been hoping for, for years,; develop the young players and put them in a system to help them be as successful as they can be. Not only did he develop them, but they were trending up and were winning. Got them to the playoffs last year. And he achieved all of this in the NY market.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/18/2020  10:21 AM
No coach replicates his past success for failure. No doubt any coach to succeed has to adapt in many ways.
All the guys on the list are there because they have succeeded AND have potential to succeed going forward.
None of the candidates will have the same circumstances they came from. They build on success and learn from the mistakes. Thats what successful people do. We have seen HOF coaches here fail as have young bright ones. visa versa. Its all circumstantial to the moment.

We wanted Fish and Fiz as they were young and would grow with the team. Bud was the obvious choice in retrospect but not because he does it in Milwaukee with an MVP, but FizFailed. Im of the opinion Steve Kerr would have failed here with the roster and his health. He stayed on in GSW because they were succeeding and could Move on without him for a spell. He suffered great pain with a brain stem condition. Maybe Fish takes GSW job and wins the same? Who can say?

Am I fatigued by Fish and Fiz and want someone substantial like Thibs? Maybe. Truth is I’m fine with anyone on the list. Even Woodson! Not because he won here, but he demonstrates a passion and is highly regarded. Same for MDA if he came back. Fish and Fi were not complete, and neither would be Udoka. I love the idea of Becky Hammon for the social experiment aspect of it but is that enough? Dolan would love that!!!!!

knicks1248
6/18/2020  10:22 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:Atkinson has a good track record. He is on my top 2 list.

Really????

Atkinson was 118-190 in 3 1/2 seasons of his first NBA head coaching job, and 1-4 in a first round demolishing in the playoffs.

ES
knicks1248
6/18/2020  10:45 AM
Uptown wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
wargames wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Disagree with the bold. Atkinson has proven way more than Fiz/Fish/JH.....Atkinson has done in BK what we have been hoping for, for years,; develop the young players and put them in a system to help them be as successful as they can be. Not only did he develop them, but they were trending up and were winning. Got them to the playoffs last year. And he achieved all of this in the NY market.

He's good in the development dept (the job of an assistant and a good coaching staff)

But he had a problem once the big names vets came to town, guys who have won Championships, they saw him as a joke.

Thibs is my choice and it isn't even close

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/18/2020  11:35 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

Really????

Atkinson was 118-190 in 3 1/2 seasons of his first NBA head coaching job, and 1-4 in a first round demolishing in the playoffs.

It's all about expectation with the roster you have. And for a team that he inherited, how much did they grow? When you are not a playoff team, player growth is exponentially more important than record (at first), team grown should follow.

The first round demolishing in the playoffs again the 76ers? Tobias Harris, Jimmy Bulter, Ben Simmons, Embiid, JJ Reddick? The team that was one Khawii fall-away 3pt jumpshot from beating? 76ers lost to the eventual champions 3-4.

The next 2-3 years will be growth years for the Knicks and hopefully some playoffs in the second and third years. You want the best teacher and teaching staff.

You can always hire a different coaching staff at that point if it's necessary.

For me, I'm #1 on Atkinson.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/18/2020  12:06 PM
So here's a few clips of some of the names:

Magic assistant Pat Delany:

Darvin Hamm:

Becky Hammond:

Bulls Chris flemming:

knicks1248
6/18/2020  12:09 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Really????

It's all about expectation with the roster you have. And for a team that he inherited, how much did they grow? When you are not a playoff team, player growth is exponentially more important than record (at first), team grown should follow.

The first round demolishing in the playoffs again the 76ers? Tobias Harris, Jimmy Bulter, Ben Simmons, Embiid, JJ Reddick? The team that was one Khawii fall-away 3pt jumpshot from beating? 76ers lost to the eventual champions 3-4.

The next 2-3 years will be growth years for the Knicks and hopefully some playoffs in the second and third years. You want the best teacher and teaching staff.

why can't we hire him as thibs assistant, I'm sure that would make everyone happy,

In fact you can have thib, kenny, and miller..Now you have a solid coaching staff

ES
Uptown

6/18/2020  12:15 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Really????

why can't we hire him as thibs assistant, I'm sure that would make everyone happy,

In fact you can have thib, kenny, and miller..Now you have a solid coaching staff

Why would Atkinson agree to be Thibs assistant when he will be in demand for a HC position for numerous teams?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/18/2020  1:53 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Really????

Because when you hire a head coach, they hire their own assistants, generally you don't force assistants on a head coach, and certainly not someone like Thibs.

A coaching staff is just that. One of them absolutely heads up the sideline stuff but you don't hire one coach for sideline and one for just practices, not the way it works. Feel like that should be obvious.

Mike Miller might be a different/unique situation, keeping him on staff after hiring someone else.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knicks extending their coaching search...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy