[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Can we please play RJ at the 3 & Knox at the 4...
Author Thread
TLover
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #381
USA
6/21/2020  12:10 AM
fishmike wrote:No. RJ's best ceiling is a bully 2 guard who can slash and dish. I see a lot of Jimmy Butler in him and thats a good thing. Knox is a 3 and can overwhelm 3's with his size and athleticism... that is his value. A SG in a PF's body.

These guys just need to get better, not find new positions. Same with Frank... just get better.

A SG needs to be able to shoot from the outside with consistency. RJ would be better in a point forward role a la Scottie Pippen. A SF needs quick feet to defend which Knox does not possess.
Bully ball worked in the 90s not now.

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/21/2020  1:36 AM
TLover wrote:
fishmike wrote:No. RJ's best ceiling is a bully 2 guard who can slash and dish. I see a lot of Jimmy Butler in him and thats a good thing. Knox is a 3 and can overwhelm 3's with his size and athleticism... that is his value. A SG in a PF's body.

These guys just need to get better, not find new positions. Same with Frank... just get better.

A SG needs to be able to shoot from the outside with consistency. RJ would be better in a point forward role a la Scottie Pippen. A SF needs quick feet to defend which Knox does not possess.

I think the solution is that RJ needs to become a better shooter, moving him to a new position with a different role doesn’t make sense to me.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/21/2020  7:07 AM
martin wrote:
TLover wrote:

I think the solution is that RJ needs to become a better shooter, moving him to a new position with a different role doesn’t make sense to me.

If RJ becomes a better shooter then having him switch between the 2 and 3 shouldn’t be a big deal. Every one plays different positions at some point in the game. The important part is the role you play. Who can RJ guard and what can he do on offense?

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TLover
USA
6/21/2020  8:06 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:
TLover wrote:

If RJ becomes a better shooter then having him switch between the 2 and 3 shouldn’t be a big deal. Every one plays different positions at some point in the game. The important part is the role you play. Who can RJ guard and what can he do on offense?

Allanfan I agree with you.. but if best player available in draft is a 2 guard then we should not hesitate to draft him bc of RJ.

Also if we are going to salvage Knox instead of getting pennies on the dollar in a trade then he needs to be a 4.. ideally the stretch 4 we stupidly traded in KP. Additionally think Iggy is ready to contribute more so next season.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/21/2020  10:59 AM
TLover wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:
TLover wrote:

Allanfan I agree with you.. but if best player available in draft is a 2 guard then we should not hesitate to draft him bc of RJ.

Also if we are going to salvage Knox instead of getting pennies on the dollar in a trade then he needs to be a 4.. ideally the stretch 4 we stupidly traded in KP. Additionally think Iggy is ready to contribute more so next season.

If we are going to be making trades in order to upgrade any one of the 5 position that needs better options, It's hard to believe that Knox, Mitch, Franks, Dsj, will be all here in the near future. These are really our only trade chips along with future draft picks.

There's really no chemistry with anyone on this team not name Payton and Randle.

ES
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/21/2020  11:47 AM
TLover wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:
TLover wrote:

Ohh I agree about your first point fully. For example, if the front office truly thinks going after Nesmith is the best option, then they should just draft him. Nobody on the Knicks is currently worth building around yet. Maybe that changes in 2 or so years but not yet.

I’m just saying that RJ needs to improve his shot and if he does, he’ll have no problem playing the 2 or 3, pending on who he has to guard of course.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TLover
USA
6/21/2020  5:42 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
TLover wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:
TLover wrote:

Ohh I agree about your first point fully. For example, if the front office truly thinks going after Nesmith is the best option, then they should just draft him. Nobody on the Knicks is currently worth building around yet. Maybe that changes in 2 or so years but not yet.

I’m just saying that RJ needs to improve his shot and if he does, he’ll have no problem playing the 2 or 3, pending on who he has to guard of course.

Newsmith would be the perfect compliment to RJ.. probably best shooter in the draft and is a young sophomore who will only get better.

TLover
USA
6/21/2020  5:47 PM
TLover wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
TLover wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
martin wrote:
TLover wrote:

Newsmith would be the perfect compliment to RJ.. probably best shooter in the draft and is a young sophomore who will only get better.

Another #24, Devin Vassel looks like he can work too!

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/21/2020  6:38 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
wargames wrote:I think Knox is a 4 but I do think RJ is a 2. He doesn’t have the size/length to dominate SF like he does against SG.

Yep, he goes from having a physical advantage of the 2 to a disadvantage at the 3. Knox doesn't fit anywhere to slow for the 3 can't match up physically at the 4, we should trade him

Agree as well about RJ. If he had more burst I could see him playing the 3. Until he can do more than play bully ball against 2s (which he does well) Id like to see Barrett stay at the 2.

Knox needs better footwork more than anything IMO. It will make him a real threat at the 3 or 4, with what he already brings to the table. Otherwise he'll probably keep struggling.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/9/2020  5:01 PM
TLover wrote: Knox can be that stretch 4 we need.

Knox makes poor decisions on the court. It bleeds into everything else. ( Shot selection, inability to maintain offensive flow with passing, etc)

At this level, you need to be in the right place at the right time when your team needs you the most. That he doesn't know where to be on the floor sometimes is natural ( He's a young player) That he doesn't know why he needs to be there in first place is the troubling issue.

One step at a time. He's gotta be relentless on defense. That's something he can control right now that will help him and the team.

If there was ever a reason to pick Atkinson as the new head coach, Knox would be one of the reasons why that move would make some sense.

Can we please play RJ at the 3 & Knox at the 4...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy