[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is it time for Dolan to sell the team? Or be made to sell the team
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/5/2020  2:16 PM
martin wrote:Sexual assault charges by Anucha Browne Sanders against President/GM of the Knicks and the last straw for a player not signing with the Knicks is a non press release? Is that what this boils down to?

That's kind of the point. People have been saying he should sell the team prior to the latest PR snafu. Press release or no press release, it changes nothing. We're not the first choice of any superstar. I agree, you can't force him to for being a screw up as a team owner. George Floyd is just a little more kindling added to the fire burning through this team's rep.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/5/2020  2:20 PM
This thread inspired me to attempt to listen to a couple of JD and the Straight-shot songs. I regret it. To make matters worse, comments are turned off. That’s the Allanfan20 complaint of the day, brought to you by Carnival Cruise Line.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

6/5/2020  2:41 PM
martin wrote:My heart understands your point but my head is asking why you think issuing a press release is good enough for you. I get that it's the LEAST he could do and I am overtly putting the PR perspective aside. My question is why is that good enough for you and have you checked to see what else MSG/Dolan has done to support this type of effort compared to his peers? And if Dolan or his company HAS done something, does he automatically have to send everyone a press release/email about every charity or event he supports? I get that this one is historically monumental but if all you are doing is issuing a press release, you are (in essence) doing jack ****. Right? Doland Sterling sure issued a lot of press releases back in the day and I don't put any weight into any of it.

If Dolan had his company issue a press release, it means he spent exactly 10 seconds asking someone else to do something that'll take another 15 minutes of an interns time to issue a Twitter/Instagram release. In essence, you are AOK with Dolan doing exactly nothing but telling someone else to copy and paste the same exact statement that everyone else is putting out. It does show solidarity and a kind, meaningful heart of understanding but what does it actually do besides make moot the original article about all of this?

Politicians and police forces for decades have been putting out press releases about understanding their communities. You satisfied with that? I doubt it.

How many NFL teams put out some nice shiny press release about Colin K? That's good enough?

Dolan is a dumb ****. We all agree on that, right? Why are you looking at him for some moral leadership? Ironically he was being honest: "I'm not the guy that people should look to to hold a voice on this". Why is the stake in the ground that an entertainment company that we all pay attention to needs to, in the very least, very overtly (if it is the case) put spin to us?

Why is the line in the sand a press release? Why isn't it.... what are you doing about this? And if you don't DO something, I'm out?

I don't watch football or pay attention to overly large men in tights hugging and rolling on the ground with each other for hours at a time once a week, so I really don't understand Colin's talent level and place within the NFL spectrum before he knelt. When we all realized that this guy was ostracized, what did everyone make their respective teams do? Did we all check to make sure press releases were issued? Is that good enough? Is that how low the bar is set? Did anyone STOP watching the NFL or drop their team? This was right in our faces all along. Again, NFL team issues press release they all good? In this particular instance, did we collectively hold the NFL accountable or did we really let them and each team get away with black-balling Colin? And as fans, if you DIDN'T stop supporting the NFL or your team, are you any better or worse than Dolan not sending his marketing team to the Twitter/Instagram press release mattresses?

My company has not issued a press release nor have I sent an email to my employees about my support on this subject. I do personally participate and have supported in my local town but I don't advertise it. Do I need to? Is that the expectation? My company too small? OK, what are the ground rules for what companies need to issue press releases and which do not? If I don't press release my support doesn't count?

Papabear, what other companies that you interact with have you gone out and checked to see if they have issued a press release? Are you going to ask the same of each company? Also, if it is a different social issue, will you be asking again those same companies to issue a press release?

I understand the [fake] show of support that goes into a press release and the PR'ish aspect to it. Why aren't we asking WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT THIS, what HAVE you done about this and then holding them accountable?

First front office that is all African American, sweet. No press release, SELL THE TEAM? From an intellectual stand point, I don't get the perspective of line drawn in sand being a press release and the accompanying level of consternation.

IDK, I'm not OK with companies participating in our gov't especially via $$$. I like when they positively participate in social issues and will in term support them more. I don't find that issuing press releases amounts to much and won't really judge a company in the manner you have for this particular instance.

If someone else didn't bring this up I don't think any of us would have put an ounce of care or time into checking to see what MSG/Dolan was doing in terms of a press release. It's also pretty clear that none of us have checked what Dolan/MSG HAS done to support this issue outside of this article, right? Correct me if I am wrong on that. Did any of the beat writers actually ask MSG how they would be supporting this moment or were they there just for the clicks?

Have we compared what MSG/Dolan had done during height of COVID to other organizations? Should we hold accountable every other team that did not match that effort? Or press release good enough?

Is there a date by which MSG/Dolan must show his support or it's not good enough?

What you are asking is that ALL companies should be showing their support on (all?) social issues to us via press releases?

We all know that Dolan doesn't give a flying **** about PR. Why is anyone expecting different for this? We have already accepted that Dolan is a dumb **** on PR or we would not be following his team already.

Papabear Says

Martin this was different. This thing shocked the world. It was special. And a statement saying I am shocked and amazed of what happened and it is wrong. I nomally don't comment on things like this but this time I must say on behalf of my organization this is not right and so wrong. That's all he had to say or something like that. Many basketball players are commenting on this. Just maybe it might be the difference of a Star comming to the Knicks.

Papabear
Sambakick
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5646

6/5/2020  3:02 PM
arkrud wrote:
It is not about blacks or whites. It is about every human being life being respected.

Another way of saying "All lives matter"

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/5/2020  3:12 PM
Kncks might be owned by MSG, but the knikcs belong to the fans.
Papabear

6/8/2020  1:38 PM
Nalod wrote:Kncks might be owned by MSG, but the knikcs belong to the fans.

Papabear

Do they really?

Papabear
mikesknicks
Member: #684
USA
6/8/2020  2:57 PM
Sambakick wrote:
arkrud wrote:
It is not about blacks or whites. It is about every human being life being respected.

This is not the time for this statement and won't for a long time!!!

In the Knick of time. Knickal for Your thoughts.
Nalod
USA
6/8/2020  11:12 PM
I don’t know if Ned Irish really cared or not about being one of three teams to have Black players in 1950, but as a kid I was proud that knicks had Sweetwater Clifton was one of the first.

Papa, I won’t tell you or anyone how to protest. I won’t try to argue if Dolan was sincere or not in his internal comments. I grew up understanding right from wrong but never experienced emotion of being suppressed. That is a knowledge that must be felt to truly understand. ITs why white America won’t ever get it right. We never have. It tries, but thats not enough.

I see the knicks as players in the uniform.

The NBA swiftly handled Donald Sterling. Trump is the Sterling of presidents. We need to swiftly move forward from him.

Papabear

6/9/2020  12:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/9/2020  1:07 PM
Papabear Says

They burned down my grandfathers house in Alabama in 1955 they beat people for no reason at all. I still carry the scars of then being on our neck. We came north when I was a kid. I love Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers but I was sad for my God father who owned the New Jersey Royal Aces from the Colored or negro league who would have over 15,000 people in the stands at the High School field and Roosevelt Stadium in New Jersey. They raided the black leagues and took the best players and integrated major league baseball and the colored or negro league went out of business without any settlement money.
Thats in the past now and for Dolan to feel that it is so hard to make that half ass statement and he is making good money because of black players even when they loose.
What I want to see is what Martin and Andrew have put together all kinds of people talking together Black, white, brown, pink, purple, and orange, all debating and all respecting one another trying to find solutions on how to win a championship with the Knicks (good luck). No matter how bleak it is we keep on trying. Dolan you must do better.

Papabear
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/9/2020  1:11 PM
Papabear wrote:Papabear Says

They burned down my grandfathers house in Alabama in 1955 they beat people for no reason at all. I still carry the scars of then being on our neck. We came north when I was a kid. I love Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers but I was sad for my God father who owned the New Jersey Royal Aces from the Colored or negro league who would have over 15,000 people in the stands at the High School field and Roosevelt Stadium in New Jersey. They raided the black leagues and took the best players and integrated major league baseball and the colored or negro league went out of business without any settlement money.
Thats in the past now and for Dolan to feel that it is so hard to make that half ass statement and he is making good money because of black players even when they loose.
What I want to see is what Martin and Andrew have put together all kinds of people talking together Black, white, brown, pink, purple, and orange, all debating and all respecting one another trying to find solutions on how to win a championship with the Knickd (good luck). No matter how bleak it is we keep on trying. Dolan you must do better.

It would be interesting to me to see a picture of each NBA team's front office and coaching staff. And then for them to publish their racial hiring stats compared to their local community.

For me personally, I don't hold to much in a "Thoughts and prayers" statement.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
6/9/2020  2:11 PM

What I want to see is what Martin and Andrew have put together all kinds of people talking together Black, white, brown, pink, purple, and orange, all debating and all respecting one another trying to find solutions on how to win a championship with the Knicks (good luck). No matter how bleak it is we keep on trying. Dolan you must do better.

Thank you for sharing. I really never considered the financial loss team owners realized when baseball integrated. Historically it was "celebrated".

Nalod
USA
6/9/2020  2:15 PM
martin wrote:

What I want to see is what Martin and Andrew have put together all kinds of people talking together Black, white, brown, pink, purple, and orange, all debating and all respecting one another trying to find solutions on how to win a championship with the Knickd (good luck). No matter how bleak it is we keep on trying. Dolan you must do better.

It would be interesting to me to see a picture of each NBA team's front office and coaching staff. And then for them to publish their racial hiring stats compared to their local community.

Dolan rarely gets the benefit of the doubt and for sure media jumped on this. I read it as he is stubborn and perhaps thought any basic comment does not do the moment justice. At the same time doing nothing was worse.
I say that only because Dolan has not issues here. Misogynistic perhaps. Tyrannical with Napoleonic tendencies. But racist?

Sambakick
Member: #5646

6/9/2020  2:19 PM
mikesknicks wrote:
Sambakick wrote:
arkrud wrote:

This is not the time for this statement and won't for a long time!!!

I'm not making the statement. It is in reference to the post above.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/9/2020  2:20 PM
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:

Dolan rarely gets the benefit of the doubt and for sure media jumped on this. I read it as he is stubborn and perhaps thought any basic comment does not do the moment justice. At the same time doing nothing was worse.
I say that only because Dolan has not issues here. Misogynistic perhaps. Tyrannical with Napoleonic tendencies. But racist?

I can't disagree with this

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Papabear

6/9/2020  10:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/9/2020  10:32 PM
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:

I can't disagree with this

Papabear Says

I'm quite sure that some people in the Knicks organization are reading whats going on in the ultimateknicks.com opinion. That's because we all have a voice and we support our team.Together we have power. Voice, opinion and $$$ power. Some of us have contacts in that Knick's front office.

Papabear
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/7/2020  3:10 AM

I'm not here to start controversy but if Dolan can't say anything about the murder of George Floyd. Then something is wrong. If a priest , or preacher , or rabbi, or muslim minister can speak on it. Dolan has no excuse. You mean he can't it was wrong to say something?? I believe he needs to stop making his basketball money off black men if he is not willing to make a stand. I think he should sell the team if he is not willing to say one little thing.What kind of leader is he? I never thought I would be saying this. What do you think??

I could go over the provisions to remove an NBA owner exhaustively, though it would get too complicated, but it boils down to this

- Gambling on the sport itself
- A criminal act that would be seen as a "crime against society" ( Being a drunk driver won't do it, burning down an orphanage with the kids inside would..)
- Medical condition ( i.e. if the owner had a stroke, but each team is required to have a line of succession, this pathway is practically too difficult to use)

It's not a crime to run your non essential business badly. You don't need to go to an NBA game to see this. Just go downtown and enter every other restaurant you see. It's not a crime to be an incompetent boss or drive your business into the ground.

Incentive to oust Dolan - If Dolan was forced to sell the Knicks, it would go for a record price ( astronomical ) which would raise the valuation of all other franchises

Disincentive to oust Dolan -

A) Owners do business together outside of the NBA. You clip Dolan, you kill all that access and all those relationships that branch from him

B) Like all other owners, he knows where the bodies are buried for other team owners

C) Very few people could afford to buy the Knicks on their own. Out of that group, many are considered undesirable by existing league owners ( many regret letting Cuban into the league). The league has bad experiences with ownership groups. Group ownership is a recipe for trouble. ( I'm not talking a guy with 1 percent of a team, I'm talking situations like the Bucks with Edens/Lasry,etc)

The Donald Sterling situation is pretty complicated and the incentive listed above had quite a bit to do with it. The Clippers situation is not a good example, it was pretty unique. No one wants to hear this ( and I don't think Sterling was a good owner) but losing his team was a purely calculated hatchet job.

It's very difficult to get rid of an owner. The other issue is there is not a huge list of people who can and will buy an NBA team and many owners are fearful the new owner can be worst than the outgoing one ( Cuban exhausted many of the old guard owners) The other issue is owners recognize if you can oust another owner without real due process, anyone's team can be taken from them.

The "operations" side of the Knicks ( the basketball side) has been run poorly for a long time. Maybe Rose can do better.

The "business" side of the Knicks ( marketing, arena, advertising, sponsors, etc) has actually been run well for a long time. Dolan is kind of an idiot, but there are actually competent people working for the Knicks at different levels.

That's a perfect storm for other owners. Knicks being run poorly means another team who won't threaten them and offers them a poorly run team they can hope to fleece in trades. Why would other owners want to dump that?

If you want James Dolan gone , he needs to be caught gambling on the sport. That's about it.

Nalod
USA
7/7/2020  10:17 AM
Well done triple. Sterling’s removal as you said was near illegal because no rules existed to oust him for being a piece of ****. He broke no laws. At the end of the day he got an amazing price for his team and was spared anymore humiliation as the gig was up and the stories were coming out. Much of the swift transaction had to do with him being borderline incompetent and did not put up a full fight as the team was in a trust not fully under his control. Bottom line was he was really bad for business and the league made sure the franchise value was not lost. Also it was an opportunity to revisit “Greater good” rules.
Just so we understand Nalod is not defending sterling at all. Just talking about ownership rights and “made to sell”.

Ted Septien and the “Septein Rule”. This guy was bad owner for only like two years and yet we still talk about him. I bring him up because of the knicks history of trading future picks. This guy was a bit vocal about wanting racial balance on his team.
Read: https://nbahoopsonline.com/teams/ClevelandCavs/articles/Stepien.html

Everything he did was destabilizing the franchise on both sides. ON the court and the business. As Triple alluded, knicks are the most valuable franchise in the league and bad as it is don’t make historically bad records. No threats to move franchise and for the most part they draw well enough on the road. When Hinkie by decree of his owners had the 76ers “rebuilding” the league stepped in because road attendance was awful. They were not even trying.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/7/2020  2:49 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

I'm not here to start controversy but if Dolan can't say anything about the murder of George Floyd. Then something is wrong. If a priest , or preacher , or rabbi, or muslim minister can speak on it. Dolan has no excuse. You mean he can't it was wrong to say something?? I believe he needs to stop making his basketball money off black men if he is not willing to make a stand. I think he should sell the team if he is not willing to say one little thing.What kind of leader is he? I never thought I would be saying this. What do you think??

If you want James Dolan gone , he needs to be caught gambling on the sport. That's about it.

He loses enough just gambling on his front office. I know everyone's favorite billionaire is apparently patently stupid, but why would he ever flush more money down the toilet?

Do billionaires ever do real gambling on sports? Jimmie's already got enough low-rent vices.

Is it time for Dolan to sell the team? Or be made to sell the team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy