[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dolan's "non" statement email on George Floyd
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/2/2020  1:31 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I don't consider this a political issue. This is a human rights issue. I don't expect Dolan to waddle around with protestors. He doesn't have to mention Trump or Biden. This a very tumultuous period. It would have been nice for him to show a little solidarity with his players. Perhaps if Dolan had remained consistent in his policy to not comment on social issues, it wouldn't be an issue. But we've already seen this guy make retarded, after the fact, songs about Harvey Weinstein. We've already seen him write letters to fans accusing them of being alcoholics. Is this a big deal by itself? No....but it is when pieced together into the bigger picture. This guy's reputation is trash. This organization can't afford to take any more PR hits, minor or major.

Press releases that someone else writes is the line drawn to show solidarity with players?

You guys are getting me wrong. If you want to show solidarity DO SOMETHING. Having an intern put out a few sentences or paragraphs ain't it. It shows me nothing, it's lip service, and lip service aint solidarity

I pretty much agree.

Besides MSG is the KING of MEMO's, that's all they do now. He's silent when he hire's and fires his own staff, so i really didn't expect to hear nothing from him.

Dolan maybe a lot of different kinds of idiots, but I don't see him being a racist on no level. I thought the oak incident was more personally than anything

ES
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/2/2020  1:45 PM
Hypothetical: Anyone OK with NFL teams putting out press releases about supporting Colin Kaepernick or think those exact press releases were **** because no one did anything?

As long as teams put out nicely worded press releases everything AOK and we should just hold status quo? Cause that's what it amounted to for years right? Status Quo

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/2/2020  1:47 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:I don't consider this a political issue. This is a human rights issue. I don't expect Dolan to waddle around with protestors. He doesn't have to mention Trump or Biden. This a very tumultuous period. It would have been nice for him to show a little solidarity with his players. Perhaps if Dolan had remained consistent in his policy to not comment on social issues, it wouldn't be an issue. But we've already seen this guy make retarded, after the fact, songs about Harvey Weinstein. We've already seen him write letters to fans accusing them of being alcoholics. Is this a big deal by itself? No....but it is when pieced together into the bigger picture. This guy's reputation is trash. This organization can't afford to take any more PR hits, minor or major.

Press releases that someone else writes is the line drawn to show solidarity with players?

You guys are getting me wrong. If you want to show solidarity DO SOMETHING. Having an intern put out a few sentences or paragraphs ain't it. It shows me nothing, it's lip service, and lip service aint solidarity

Dont believe most players consider it "lip service", but the absolute bare minimum this org. can do during a national emergency.

Other than sicking the Rockettes on those bad cops, Dolan can also let his players, the community, know he is on their side. The only thing that statement said was "leave me out of this"

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/2/2020  1:52 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:It doesn't bother me that a corporation doesn't put out a political statement or a statement in support of something, however correct it may be. I'd rather have "free speech", especially in terms of political $$, taken away from corporations and the like. Would it be a bad thing? Not at all. Are they expected to put out a statement for every type of political'ish event? Been a number of deaths in this same situation, can't recall there being a rollcall of which teams put out tweets and statements and the like.

As an exercise, are you also AOK with MSG and/or Dolan putting out [political] statements that you may not agree with? Are you OK with Dolan splashing his personal views and affiliation with say Trump during games and whatnot?

What the Celtics and no doubt other organizations put out was thoughtful. Some marketing person came up with it in 15 minutes and the organization rubber stamped it. I don't personally need that type of assurance from any company I buy from.

Being supportive of players and MSG employees? Sure. And hasn't MSG shown that they will put actual $$ towards keeping as many employees employed during these times? MSG could have flat cut Bullock and probably should have? Gave him an opportunity. Have they supported the players in this particular instance? Do they automatically need to tell the world about it every time it happens?

Actions for me. Rubber stamping a few sentences doesn't show me much at all outside of marking a checkbox of sorts.

BigDaddyG wrote:This should've been simple a statement supporting civil rights and the right of all Americans to live free and peacefully... Instead, we get this. This is New York. It's laughable that this team can't hire competent PR people. Kelly Ann Conway could do a better job than this. Heck, what is Sean Spicer up to? I don't think Dolan is racist, but I'm pretty sure he's clueless.

BigDaddyG wrote:Part of the Celtics statement. Quick and easy while remaining thoughtful. Why can't we do this.

"Like many others across the country, the heartbreaking and senseless deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, along with other recent events, have left the entire Celtics organization struggling with grief and anger. During a time in which the phrase 'new normal' has often been used as our nation has struggled with the devastation of a pandemic, we imagine and hope for a 'new normal' where every citizen is afforded the same rights, has the same opportunities, receives the same treatment, and can peacefully enjoy every freedom promised to all of us."

Im sure most players in the league, who are Black. Some who have been victims of police brutality themselves. Will find your words comforting. We are in the middle of a national emergency, this is about more than a freaking PSA. Its about telling your players, your community you stand on the side of justice.

If we're going to be cynical, from a business perspective, its a horrible decision. It will alienate stars, fans (who are already wary about crowds) and maybe some advertisers. If Dolan's only real reponsibility is making money (shareholder capitalism right there) then he failed, because he put his own personal politics before the bottom line. Any way its a major fail.

Well said...

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/2/2020  1:53 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:

I pretty much agree.

Besides MSG is the KING of MEMO's, that's all they do now. He's silent when he hire's and fires his own staff, so i really didn't expect to hear nothing from him.

Dolan maybe a lot of different kinds of idiots, but I don't see him being a racist on no level. I thought the oak incident was more personally than anything

He's already set precedence...is this one situation enough to blast Dolan? No. But add it up and shows what a disaster this organization is from a PR standpoint.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

6/2/2020  2:01 PM
martin wrote:Hypothetical: Anyone OK with NFL teams putting out press releases about supporting Colin Kaepernick or think those exact press releases were **** because no one did anything?

As long as teams put out nicely worded press releases everything AOK and we should just hold status quo? Cause that's what it amounted to for years right? Status Quo

The fact that the NFL did feel a necessity to do anything at all shows how serious this situation is. Yes, it's cynical. But something's are bigger than corporate tax breaks and political leanings. This is an issue that touches on the fundamental right of every citizen to be walk freely with the expectation that they won't be murdered by our so-called protectors.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

6/2/2020  2:05 PM
Papabear Says

What Dolan said makes it easier for me to go root for another team.I will always be a knicks fan of the past but
not for the future if Dolan do not support the cause. I will not feel the same way.

Papabear
BigDaddyG

6/2/2020  2:20 PM
Papabear wrote:Papabear Says

What Dolan said makes it easier for me to go root for another team.I will always be a knicks fan of the past but
not for the future if Dolan do not support the cause. I will not feel the same way.

I can see this. My great grandfather always held a grudge against the Yankees for the being one of the last holdouts to integration. Fair or not, it shapes my families perception of that team to this day. I'm not saying what Dolan said or didn't say is on that level. But I will say he will fall on the wrong side of history when this all said and done. He runs an entertainment company that supposedly caters to people of all races and social standings. The fact that he is too afraid to acknowledge that a wrong was committed says a lot about the man who owns this franchise.
BigDaddyG

6/2/2020  2:38 PM
Should these people care? I'm pretty sure they're not checking the Apple's public Website for it's corporate response.

martin
USA
6/2/2020  3:41 PM
Should we all be checking to see if our respective employers put out statements of support?

Has Pablo checked to see if all players have put out statements of support? Should they? What about GM? Coach? If not, should we as fans have a fan-only meeting to discuss?

Where do we draw the line?

Should we all be held to the same standard? Do we all need to put out public statements or just companies? If not all companies, which ones?

BigDaddyG

6/2/2020  4:17 PM
martin wrote:Should we all be checking to see if our respective employers put out statements of support?

Has Pablo checked to see if all players have put out statements of support? Should they? What about GM? Coach? If not, should we as fans have a fan-only meeting to discuss?

Should we all be held to the same standard? Do we all need to put out public statements or just companies? If not all companies, which ones?

I don't it's too much to ask when you're a public company whose success is nurtured by the inclusivity of people from all backgrounds. A simple statement saying we don't support the brazen murder of citizens in broad daylight isn't that big of an ask. At the very least it's a bad PR move. We seen this guy consistently interject himself in the stupidest crap, but now he suddenly decides this is the right issue to punt on? It's weak.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/2/2020  4:26 PM
martin wrote:Should we all be checking to see if our respective employers put out statements of support?

I agree with you. Dolan is stubborn and because of that feels Msg record speaks for itself. Would we even notice if an article did not make mention of it?
I read MSG's statement which I believe anyone that wants to blast them should read and think "Has MSG, Knicks, or Dolan need to make a statement or should I look at their hiring practices top to bottom and community outreach to minorities?"

That said, why can't MSG just issue some bland statement to appease the "gotcha's" of the world? Is it so hard? He is stubborn and perhaps silly.

martin
USA
6/2/2020  5:26 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

I don't it's too much to ask when you're a public company whose success is nurtured by the inclusivity of people from all backgrounds. A simple statement saying we don't support the brazen murder of citizens in broad daylight isn't that big of an ask. At the very least it's a bad PR move. We seen this guy consistently interject himself in the stupidest crap, but now he suddenly decides this is the right issue to punt on? It's weak.

I do understand your sentiment. It would have been nice.

MSG had the first all African American trio Pres, GM, coach. Maybe is was just dumb luck. Maybe it was a bit of something.

MSG typically ALWAYS has a game on MLK Day. I gotta guess they insist on it and do it right. Should we be holding it against every other team that they don't have a game on MLK day as a show of support?

I'm not gonna sweat a press statement that no one cared about until someone else checked. For me, I don't put too much into PR statements, show me some action, cause that's where it's really at.

Is a press release the ONLY way MSG can show support? Has anyone checked if there was anything else MSG is or has been doing?

martin
USA
6/2/2020  5:42 PM
BigDaddyG, question: Do you believe any of the press statements put out by NFL teams regarding this same subject? Or do you feel they are kinda empty given the Colin lookback?
BigDaddyG

6/2/2020  6:48 PM
martin wrote:BigDaddyG, question: Do you believe any of the press statements put out by NFL teams regarding this same subject? Or do you feel they are kinda empty given the Colin lookback?

I'm skeptical. I'm sure the NFL offices and it's owners would rather keep heads in the sand and continue to living in la la land. But this isn't an issue that they could look away from. Even if it's a farce, which I suspect it is, they at least recognized a response was warranted. It impacts the majority of players and a good portion of the staff that makes up the league. To stand aside and write you don't know enough about the situation is laughable. I will say that Dolan did send an internal email a better crafted response today. It's a bit vaguer than I'd like, but I wasn't expecting much.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/3/2020  10:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2020  11:49 AM
Nalod wrote:

I agree with you. Dolan is stubborn and because of that feels Msg record speaks for itself. Would we even notice if an article did not make mention of it?
I read MSG's statement which I believe anyone that wants to blast them should read and think "Has MSG, Knicks, or Dolan need to make a statement or should I look at their hiring practices top to bottom and community outreach to minorities?"

That said, why can't MSG just issue some bland statement to appease the "gotcha's" of the world? Is it so hard? He is stubborn and perhaps silly.

Stubborn...Tone deaf...the optics look so bad. Off and on the court, Dolan gets it wrong everytime. As much as I love the orange and blue, this guy makes it so difficult to support anything he is associated with...

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/3/2020  2:08 PM
His comments yesterday were OK in my book. I think we look at him like we do Trump. We sort of think they it all wrong all the time. Im not Dolan Fanboy but this is not as bad as media painted it.
Like I said, he is stubborn and impatient. Trump is ignorant and a sociopath.
BigDaddyG

6/3/2020  3:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2020  3:01 PM
Nalod wrote:His comments yesterday were OK in my book. I think we look at him like we do Trump. We sort of think they it all wrong all the time. Im not Dolan Fanboy but this is not as bad as media painted it.
Like I said, he is stubborn and impatient. Trump is ignorant and a sociopath.

Overall implications of his last two emails aside, these days PR gaffes have been consistent. He's bad at this and yet he continues to go off the cuff. What is the definition of insanity again? Hire a respected PR person and firm to help craft your statements. No shame in it. Some of the best orators I've heard have speech writers. The NY media is a shark tank and he continually dunks himself Saran wrapped in chum.
Sambakick
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5646

6/3/2020  5:26 PM
Nalod wrote:

The good: Dolan has been good with hiring minorities. We've had back coaches and general managers. Knicks do their share of work in the community.

The bad: But here we became privvy to an internal email/memo where Dolan chose to be silent when his employees were asking for him to say something.

The ugly: With his past PR history Dolan really needed a win or a draw. This goes down as another L in a column full of them already.

Where is Steve Stoute?

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
wargames
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6053

6/3/2020  5:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/3/2020  5:42 PM
martin wrote:

It is the bare minimum. The problem is he didn’t even want to do the bare minimum. That’s why everybody is stunned. It’s like giving condolences to someone you barely know after you hear one of their family members have died...... it doesn’t do anything, costs you nothing, but it shows empathy and the ability to read the room. To go even further imagine everybody else in the room give condolences and you stay silent. Then when someone say’s “wow you didn’t give any condolences” you say “well I barely know that person”.....

Unfortunately both empathy and reading the room are two skills Dolan the deranged idiot has none of. He is like a episode of Curb your enthusiasm in real life. A degenerate man child who got lucky his parents were rich. Basically he’s a scumbag and consistently will do some scumbag act.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Dolan's "non" statement email on George Floyd

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy