[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Cutting the cord and working from home.....
Author Thread
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
5/22/2020  9:22 AM
Nalod wrote:
Im fortunate I can work anywhere. Its mostly a blessing. I have 1gb fiber optic cable/internet right into the house and have speed tested it to 800 plus. I run 4 TV's in the house. There are 4 of us working out of the house now as of next week. I have 3 ethernet cables to plug into. The Wifi in my study actually works on one part of my desk, but then dies 2 feet away. Not an issue as im wired up but my iphone cell service in the room is ok for calls, but cell data not great and it toggles back and forth from my wifi. Next week daughter and her husband come to stay for a while adn they will be stressing the capicty a bit. She does video editing and uploads to the TV station remote, he runs networks for major luxury brand retail (Tenuous).
We also cut the cord and saving $50 a month using Youtube TV which I lose nothing station wise and get NBA TV as part of the basic package! Picture quality is quite good. Getting all the cable boxes out of the house felt good too!!

I bought my home 12 years old from an engineer who designed this house in the mid 1960's. Got all the blueprints, specs, etc. House is build like a civil defense shelter with some very thick walls and ceilings. Bones of this crib is solid! Im being a bit dramatic but its relevent as wifi can be a challange. I have a mesh wifi coming this week to rectify it and increase capacity. Running with a great Apple airport router that has served us very well.

Anyone else upgrading and improving/their home work environment? Painting? renovations?

i cut the cord in november and glad i did it. i use the firebox and have hulu live for live tv. cheaper than directv which i paid over $200 a month.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/25/2020  10:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/25/2020  10:37 AM
Eero installed. New router now pulling speeds to 834 which I was not aware can be done Over WiFi. No dead spots in the house and performance is vastly improved all corners to the house.

All wireless devices are performing better. Good upgrade. Again, I was running a 5 year old Apple Airport that at the time was about as good as it got. With fiber optic right into the house cutting the cord made sense.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/26/2020  9:33 PM
yeah, eero (or any mesh network) is legit. i have full bars all over my apartment and getting 150 mbps download on wifi (i'm paying $35/mo with RCN for 200 mbps). previously i wasn't breaking 90 and had major stuttering/buffering issues w/ video chatting - now everything is super smooth.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/27/2020  5:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/27/2020  5:03 PM
I am looking into upgrading my wireless as well. Mesh is great, especially if you walk around your house with a device. Mesh ensures the devices keep working while switching access points. From what I understand it limits IP conflict issues. That said the might be excessive and money wasted if you live in a smaller space. If you are under 2500 square feet it is probably a waste of money.

I am planning on replacing my router with a TP-Link 1750 or 1900 router ($65 or $75 respectively). That is a 1 Gbps wireless router (either). I am looking for 2200 sq ft of coverage. Mesh would be a complete waste of money for me. Yes, it is a very cool technology but I do not think it is necessary everywhere.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/27/2020  5:37 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I am looking into upgrading my wireless as well. Mesh is great, especially if you walk around your house with a device. Mesh ensures the devices keep working while switching access points. From what I understand it limits IP conflict issues. That said the might be excessive and money wasted if you live in a smaller space. If you are under 2500 square feet it is probably a waste of money.

I am planning on replacing my router with a TP-Link 1750 or 1900 router ($65 or $75 respectively). That is a 1 Gbps wireless router (either). I am looking for 2200 sq ft of coverage. Mesh would be a complete waste of money for me. Yes, it is a very cool technology but I do not think it is necessary everywhere.

We have the TP Link 1750. It has been awesome. We stream for television and have 4 rokus. Last summer when the whole family was home we did notice some lags and bought a tp-link wifi extender. We have no issues now. I have at least two zoom meetings a day since March and can have them any place in the house. With everything shut down wifi use is pretty heavy at our house.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/28/2020  12:57 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I am looking into upgrading my wireless as well. Mesh is great, especially if you walk around your house with a device. Mesh ensures the devices keep working while switching access points. From what I understand it limits IP conflict issues. That said the might be excessive and money wasted if you live in a smaller space. If you are under 2500 square feet it is probably a waste of money.

We have the TP Link 1750. It has been awesome. We stream for television and have 4 rokus. Last summer when the whole family was home we did notice some lags and bought a tp-link wifi extender. We have no issues now. I have at least two zoom meetings a day since March and can have them any place in the house. With everything shut down wifi use is pretty heavy at our house.

I was leaning 1900 but I think you swayed me. I like the extra features but I probably don't need them.

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
CrushAlot
USA
5/29/2020  2:32 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I was leaning 1900 but I think you swayed me. I like the extra features but I probably don't need them.

We are pretty heavy users. With the pandemic we often have four people online and two TVs streaming. We did need to add the WiFi extender. Good luck.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

5/29/2020  7:44 PM
In my best Arnold voice...

"Mesh? I have a plasma fusion relay, with ion inhibitors. Not your puny Mesh".

Seriously, after 5 years, this area is finally getting high speed internet. Wont be as fast as you city folk, but Im glad to be getting back to the 21st century, lol. Before I cancelled I was getting a blazing 12kps download speed.

Interesting convo, something I might apply to a security system. Since this pandemic has made me put my move on hold. No one is selling their homes these days.

CrushAlot
USA
6/4/2020  12:02 PM
Saw this on Slickdeals. I know nothing about mesh wifi but it appears to be a good deal($79). Brickseek link tells you if it is in stock.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14084240-linksys-velop-vlp0203-ac4600-mesh-wi-fi-system-3-pack-74-walmart-ymmv
Cutting the cord and working from home.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy