[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Bloated Gleague debate
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/5/2020  5:11 PM
perhaps this belongs in an existing thread. Since Briggs has a new thread for each synapse, why can't Nalod at least have one.

Seems we look at Gleague as the panacia for players who have yet to develop properly and think its the exlicer to fix it.
Can't defend it as it helped other players. Its stupid to flat out reject or endorse as its subjective to the player and the team.
Knox and Frankie have played at NBA levels but not to a desired level. What is the metric to send a kid down?
Kid works hard, is making improvement and needs to apply it in games. Does doing it at a lower level ALWAYS work? What is the structure and talent level that determines other than hindsight?
Can't hurt? I suppose we fans know whats best. Im not one way or the other. If it helps, Im all for it. Just not gonna sit here and post judge the subjective. Just like Im not in the "Free Iggy" camp becuse he has done well there. Many players can score in teh Gleague and get a call up and never to be heard from again. Its a bigger game than we imagine.
I go to a few Gleague games a year up in Greensboro and have seen Chasson Randle easily be the best player the court. Billy Garrett looked great, Hickson showed me some good games last year. "War" Plumlee looked like a defensive juggernut and massive force on the court. He talked the team thru each position. These guys can't make it up in the NBA.

Damian Wilkens.........
NBA Stats: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wilkida02.htm

NBA journeyman 8 years in the NBA. Then to europe. Wanted to come back, at age 36 spends three years in the Gleague.
Look at Gleague stats:https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wilkida02.html

Saw this guy at age 37 and he was the floor coach. He played point forwardm, pointed, told guys what to do. You can sit close enough and hear it. Sat first row under the basket enough to also hear them on the bench. He could do what ever he wanted. Often he came back int he game and let to late game rally to win or fall short. He was that good at EVERYTHING. This is my perspective from what I saw in a few games and this was at age 37: A journeyman player dominate.
"So why not let Frank and Knox go down and dominate"? Its a fair question. If they do, whats the point? You think coaches don't see **** in practice to know what level they should be at? If you send down Dennis and he kicks ass, whats the point if he can't do it int he NBA? "Build his confidence"? Not really. Its not like he would think "oh, See I can do that!!". ITs not the NBA!

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
5/5/2020  5:27 PM
I think you need to look at each player individually. Scouting reports for Frank prior to the draft said that if he was going to play on the ball in the nba he would be best served starting in the g league. Knox came into a situation where he was a member of the youngest team in the league, rebuilding and planning on giving him plenty of minutes. Knox was done a disservice this year but he played over 2100 minutes as a rook against nba players.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
5/5/2020  5:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/5/2020  5:36 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I think you need to look at each player individually. Scouting reports for Frank prior to the draft said that if he was going to play on the ball in the nba he would be best served starting in the g league. Knox came into a situation where he was a member of the youngest team in the league, rebuilding and planning on giving him plenty of minutes. Knox was done a disservice this year but he played over 2100 minutes as a rook against nba players.

I get it. Which is why you don't always send every player down. Knox a disservice? why, he was rookie of the month!
He was inconsistent. Its what teenagers do. This year he was held to a higher standard.
He needed to work on Defense, going to the rim stronger, and rebounding! Lets say he goes and tears it up? Then comes in and struggles. What does that tell you? There is a gap. We know there is a gap. We see it all the time.
You know the 82 game season is long and its not just one body of work. I saw frank and knox play great stretches in the NBA in some games. So we know they could do it in the Gleague. So what does it prove? That fans are right or know better? We don't . There is a gap. I have seen it. You have seen it.
I think Fiz was right to play him. He did not break. He got a baselline of what he needs to work on.
Same thing with RJ. he got better as the season went on. Foul shooting improved. He played a lot. He is not a star or did he tear it up. He created a baseline.

CrushAlot
USA
5/5/2020  7:20 PM
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I think you need to look at each player individually. Scouting reports for Frank prior to the draft said that if he was going to play on the ball in the nba he would be best served starting in the g league. Knox came into a situation where he was a member of the youngest team in the league, rebuilding and planning on giving him plenty of minutes. Knox was done a disservice this year but he played over 2100 minutes as a rook against nba players.

I get it. Which is why you don't always send every player down. Knox a disservice? why, he was rookie of the month!
He was inconsistent. Its what teenagers do. This year he was held to a higher standard.
He needed to work on Defense, going to the rim stronger, and rebounding! Lets say he goes and tears it up? Then comes in and struggles. What does that tell you? There is a gap. We know there is a gap. We see it all the time.
You know the 82 game season is long and its not just one body of work. I saw frank and knox play great stretches in the NBA in some games. So we know they could do it in the Gleague. So what does it prove? That fans are right or know better? We don't . There is a gap. I have seen it. You have seen it.
I think Fiz was right to play him. He did not break. He got a baselline of what he needs to work on.
Same thing with RJ. he got better as the season went on. Foul shooting improved. He played a lot. He is not a star or did he tear it up. He created a baseline.

i meant Knox was done a disservice this year I agree. About his rookie year.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/5/2020  8:55 PM
How many times has Josh Jackson been sent down to the G-League? How about Jimmer Fredette? Did those G-League reps help Lonzo Ball's progress? There are many routes to development. Would beating up on lesser talent help Knox more than being violated everyday by March Morris? I don't think so. If a player has no hopes of getting minutes in a rotation, than send him down. Knox was getting opportunities, so I can't get upset. It's on him to improve and show he deserves more minutes. We need to stop making excuses for him. I haven't given up on him by the way, but you can't complain that a coach isn't focused on winning when he give the young guys too many minutes and turn around and complain when he does try to win games with players who give him the best chance. The better questions are should we have drafted Knox or if he should've left Kentucky in the first place.l
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Sambakick
Member: #5646

5/5/2020  9:41 PM
When a player is riding the pine behind established vets and the coach doesn't want to spend developmental minutes on him at the NBA level because they're trying to win games and put the best team on the floor it can become a very long "lost" season for a lot of young players. Letting them go to the Gleague on a Wednesday night to play 40 minutes, then calling them back up to the NBA squad for practice on a Thursday before a game on a Friday at least let's the young player play and also let's him observe the NBA squad. Westchester isn't Wyoming. It's really easy to shuttle guys back and forth. We forget this point all the time.
Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/5/2020  11:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/5/2020  11:21 PM
How often are guys shuttled back and forth the same day? I've seen it done a few times. In the instances it's done, it's usually a guy who wasn't expected to play in the first place. The minutes are there for Knox to grab. He's got to take them.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
5/5/2020  11:32 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:How often are guys shuttled back and forth the same day? I've seen it done a few times. In the instances it's done, it's usually a guy who wasn't expected to play in the first place. The minutes are there for Knox to grab. He's got to take them.
The only guy I remember for the KNicks is Plumlee. Maybe it happened with Kadeem as well.
Nalod
USA
5/6/2020  10:45 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:

i meant Knox was done a disservice this year I agree. About his rookie year.

I think he was held at a higher standard this year and it was not based on results, but the implimentation of what he was working on. The shots falling did not pull him, it was the lack of defense or rebounding efforts in those areas. Going to the rim stronger. In the last games he was coming around and getting more minutes. Stats alone don't tell the story. SImilar to Frankie. Both inconsistant but you were getitng a higher ceiling in those inconsistancies. This season Knox had issues for sure. This is where us fans are not really knowing what we are seeing. Is it a player losing it or frustrated he is not executing what he is learning. Some players it breaks out fast for them. Most its a process Fans are like "dump him".....but if you dont' know the agenda you can't measure it. What I see is we know he can shoot. But if he is busyin the head with other things the flow he is accustomed to is not there and the shot suffers. But it comes back when the rest of the game gets in synch.
Being an outsider Im just projecting my opinion and perhaps mixed with HOPE!!!!

GT2AM
Member: #8847

5/8/2020  10:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/8/2020  10:46 AM
Nalod wrote: What I see is we know he can shoot. But if he is busyin the head with other things the flow he is accustomed to is not there and the shot suffers. But it comes back when the rest of the game gets in synch.
Being an outsider Im just projecting my opinion and perhaps mixed with HOPE!!!!

That's what Knox keeps saying. He knows the offense will be there but he's concentrating on defense this year. Calipari said it will only be his third year when he puts everything together. (and plays fluidly without thinking about stuff.) Problem is, like Nolad says, everyone leaves college early instead of developing more. So they got to develop in the NBA. One and done and chase the plum.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

5/8/2020  1:50 PM
you have to play in order to get good. to me, doesn't it make sense to let a 19 year old Kevin Knox tear up the gleague for a year or two, while teaching him defense? wouldn't he be more equipped for the NBA? that pick was all about projections yet we threw him up against grown men and here we are
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
5/8/2020  2:12 PM
Does anybody even know what Knox role has been on the knicks, I'm sure he has no idea either because he was never given one.

Does anybody know if he fits the system we play, I doubt it, because there was no system.

Who is the leader on the team that he can look up to, Morris the guy we traded for a 28th pick, or clueless randle.

The lack of some of the basic foundation of development is lacking all through out the franchise.

The knicks have a G league team that they used to develop players, but when was the last time we actually develop a player that came up to the NBA and helped the team for more then a handful of games.

This franchise needs ready made players..

ES
GT2AM
Member: #8847

5/9/2020  5:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/9/2020  5:20 AM
knicks1248 wrote:Does anybody even know what Knox role has been on the knicks, I'm sure he has no idea either because he was never given one.

Does anybody know if he fits the system we play, I doubt it, because there was no system.

Who is the leader on the team that he can look up to, Morris the guy we traded for a 28th pick, or clueless randle.

The lack of some of the basic foundation of development is lacking all through out the franchise.

The knicks have a G league team that they used to develop players, but when was the last time we actually develop a player that came up to the NBA and helped the team for more then a handful of games.

I think Knox knew. He came off the bench for about 18 minutes per game and he was working on Defense this year. Thats what he said and when Miller praised him this year it was usually on something fundamental-like or defense. It was obviously a developmental year for him.

They brought in a few veterans to teach the younger guys. Taj, Ellis, and Morris (the guys 30 and older) and it seems like it worked. All the young guys were doing Morris workouts before he was traded. Taj is pretty important to teaching Mitch. And I'm sure Ellis had something to do with the fact that the Knicks kept making comebacks and fighting till the close of most games. (Ellis having been on the Miami Heat team that started 11-30 before finishing 30-11)

I don't consider Randle one of the vets. He's young and I think they brought a few younger FA on the Knicks timeline to see if the can add to their youth core thru money. Randle and Payton might be back next year. Portis is young but too expensive (and a ball hog), so he won't be back.

As for the G League it might depend. They used it alot this year for Iggy. And they traded up and spent $1m to get him knowing he will need more work in the G League. But the G League might not be for everybody. In practice NBA teams play 5-on-5 full court games. Its not as intense as a real game but going up against NBA opponents even in practice might be more useful at getting better than the G League. I think it depends on the player and what he needs and when. But if the Knicks use it for some players and not for others it might mean they have plans and/or reasons.

If the Knicks are doing a rebuild there are no ready made players. Thats the point, I think. To Build the players and Then they'll be good.

Nalod
USA
5/9/2020  2:04 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Does anybody even know what Knox role has been on the knicks, I'm sure he has no idea either because he was never given one.

You ask questions that others have given opinions to. Seemingly your opinion is “If I don’t know it, then neither does the players”.

What other teams has used the Gleague to developers players you can point to levels of success? Somtimes the players themselves mature and are ready to make the jump. Some players rehabbed as free agents in Gleague and came back. But what team and players in real time can you point to doing it well?

Sambakick
Member: #5646

5/10/2020  10:31 PM
https://gleague.nba.com/all-time-callups/
Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/11/2020  10:03 AM
David Lee is one of, if not the best player in terms of actually developing on the Knicks. And David Lee played 4 yrs of college ball, still came to the league too weak. Needed another 2 yrs of NBA strength training to get right. Came in as a tweener forward that couldn't really shoot.

But Lee's development is the blueprint imo. He wanted PT so he decided he was going to become a strong rebounder, and that would be his nitch. Once rebounding was his thing he worked on finishing around the basket. Once finishing around the basket became automatic, he worked on back to basket game. Once the back to basket game was on point, he worked on that 15-18ft jumper. Once his ability to score made him a strong offensive threat, his passing ability was next to follow.

Knox has a 7ft wing span and a good amount of athleticism. Drafted in the lottery due to his physical gifts which gave him high potential. Don't focus on being a star offensive juggernaut at this stage. Defense will probably always be a work in progress. First order of buisness should be to attack that glass. This alone will get him easy scoring opportunities and more touches. Then gradually expand from there. He would already be coming in as a better outside shooter than Lee was.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
5/11/2020  11:18 AM
I think some fans just don't take into consideration that rebuilding with youth in NYC is an enormous challenge. your talking about young (19, 20, 21 yr old)guys who just became millionaires in a city that has every distraction you can possibly think of.

It's a safe bet to say that 1 out of every 10 kids drafted will be able to handle NY.

The knicks need to bring in a strong veteran presence of high skilled, high character players that are serious about winning. An experience coaching staff that has an identity and a system.

Once you establish a winning culture, the younger players will follow that and fall into the culture.

Our young players go into games knowing there is very little chance of them actually winning the game, they will compete for a part of the game then give in to the losing culture like another day at the office.

ES
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/10/2020  7:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/10/2020  7:36 PM
Nalod wrote: What is the metric to send a kid down?
Kid works hard, is making improvement and needs to apply it in games. Does doing it at a lower level ALWAYS work? What is the structure and talent level that determines other than hindsight?

The NBA talent pool can be essentially broken down into Tiers ( i.e. Top 3 guys, then next top 10 guys, then next top 25 guys, etc)
The difference/ability and impact of a Kevin Durant or Anthony Davis versus the 25th best NBA player is huge. It's miles and miles long. The 25th best player in the NBA is also exponentially more valuable than the 60th guy. The 12th man on every roster is likely miles better than the best G League guys ( You need to SUBTRACT former NBA veterans who are on G League teams from this discussion, guys who want to keep some ball going, get their medical and hope to stay relevant to get a call up to cover an injury)

Think about when Serena Williams went against like the 250th or 300th ranked male player in the world and he completely smoked her and he was clearly going easy on her.

If you are in the discussion where a G League stint is up on the table ( Again, barring an injury/rehab assignment, that's different), it means you are, at best, an NBA role player. If you can't break through, you can't fill a role. If you are a young player on a NBA roster, and you are still in your optimal developmental window, if you can't show you can fill a role, eventually you will get the boot too.

There are high school teams that could completely smoke the WNBA All Stars on a regular basis.

Think about the worst NBA scrub you can think of, then put him against nearly anyone else not in the pros and you will see carnage like it was a John Wick sequel.

Occasionally you'll get a Jeremy Lin or a Danny Green story or a Fred Van Fleet story and a lot of that was opportunity.

** Taking the 500th best basketball player in the world, then sending him to play against the 1035th best, is not going to likely help him**

Frank N doesn't have any more excuses. He's had plenty of time, minutes and seasons to show his worth. He's also had the Knicks entire resource base, and CAAs when he was with them, to work on being a better player.

"Development" is a word used in interviews to make things sound good. You aren't going to get a WNBA All Star to suddenly be able to play D1 College Male basketball. No coaching in the world will do that. Again , REMOVE all formerly established NBA veterans playing in the G League, then remove clear rehab/injury related assignments. The rest? They just aren't good enough to make the NBA.

The few guys that break through usually need more minutes or needed recovery from some injury or there is a character issue/personality glitch that needs to be resolved. But typically these guys are still in their optimal developmental window.

Frank N is a sunk cost. He's a role player who hasn't shown he's particularly efficient at it. (If you won't attack the rim, you need an elite three point shot)

The way you could develop players? Take them young, like 7-8 years old, then bring them into a barracks/confined situation close to the military methodology. Control nutrition, education and training. Let them live, eat, sleep, work, study and **** basketball. That's it. That's what it would take to truly "develop" someone. But we don't live in a modern society that would accept this. I'm basically saying Enders Game is the correct format. This way you could instill lifelong fundamentals, instead of trying to get a coach to unbreak a 20 year old who has done something the wrong way tens of thousands of times already.

Most of you who scream "development" would also be the first to oppose any structure where real development would happen.

Bloated Gleague debate

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy