6/2/2020  4:49 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Why is Tom Thibadeu coveted?

Because he's a really good coach

I thought more of him as a coach before Minny. Not giving his bench the minutes to be a factor doesnt look like good coaching to me. Id be happy to see Thibs hired as an asst, a defensive coordinator. But Id rather see the job go to someone that does a better job of seeing the big picture.

You must not be as high on as some others on this board. Join the club. Sorry, I still get kicks out of taking shots at coach stache hahaha. Joking aside, the minutes thing is troubling. I hope it's something he's had time to reflect on. On the flipside, his offensive numbers in Minnesota were way better than those Bills teams he coached. That gives me some that he's capable of adjusting to his players. I would rather keep Miller or sign Atkinson, but there are worse moves to be made than signing This.... Did someone say Fizdale?

I knew MDA wasnt a prototypical Knicks coach, at the time. But he had a good track record. What soured me on him was running players into the ground, poor use of timeouts, plays out of timeouts, putting volume over shot selection. "Keep shooting", coached like he was playing craps at Vegas.

I dont see Thibs at this point being an upgrade over Miller from Xs and Os, to getting his players to buy in. Not the sexy pick, unless some big stars insist on a coach, or an elite (working) coach is available Id like to see Miller get a full season to make his case.

Please... Miller leaned on and featured Elf to Julius. Over and over again. And again. To end qtrs, to end games, to end possessions... really just one X and one O

Why would you like to see Miller get a full a season? He works hard and had a nice G league run. Thats it. Can we stop inflating Mike Miller into something he has yet to prove? Why do the Knicks get to be his trial team? Thibs has been a good coach at every stop and a very good teacher. Seems the biggest knock is he played his best players too much? Best player on the Bulls were Rose/Noah/Deng and Rose was hurt a ton. When he wasnt they were winning 50-60 games. When he was there were still winning close to 50.

Miller has no juice and his biggest endorsement is he did better than Fizdale. He's likable and a hard worker. Would be nice to see a good coach and a ready made staff come in with a plan and a system and be on the same page as the FO. Of all the guys out there including Atkinson, Thibs is the best choice.

Miller had maybe the least talented team in the league. For a while Miller got Randle to cut down on the spinovers, the 1 on 3 drives. Was playing like an All-Star. Did he permanently change Randle's game after less than half a season? No, who could? Mitch started coming out of his slump after Miller got the job. Playing lights out.

The only thing I see inflated is Thibs. Running your starters into the ground might get you to the playoffs, but they wont have enough left once they get there. We've seen that with 2 teams. Miller got his players to buy in on short notice, Thibs couldnt.

Im not inflating Miller's professional record. He's been a loyal employee who has performed well on every level in this organization, since he got here. He also was forced to be a spokesman for MSG which wasnt in his job description. Miller has shown enough to get a full season look from Rose. On the court, off the court.

If an elite coach from another team wants to come to NY, thats another matter. Dont consider Thibs to be one at this point.

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/2/2020  5:25 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I thought more of him as a coach before Minny. Not giving his bench the minutes to be a factor doesnt look like good coaching to me. Id be happy to see Thibs hired as an asst, a defensive coordinator. But Id rather see the job go to someone that does a better job of seeing the big picture.

You must not be as high on as some others on this board. Join the club. Sorry, I still get kicks out of taking shots at coach stache hahaha. Joking aside, the minutes thing is troubling. I hope it's something he's had time to reflect on. On the flipside, his offensive numbers in Minnesota were way better than those Bills teams he coached. That gives me some that he's capable of adjusting to his players. I would rather keep Miller or sign Atkinson, but there are worse moves to be made than signing This.... Did someone say Fizdale?

I knew MDA wasnt a prototypical Knicks coach, at the time. But he had a good track record. What soured me on him was running players into the ground, poor use of timeouts, plays out of timeouts, putting volume over shot selection. "Keep shooting", coached like he was playing craps at Vegas.

I dont see Thibs at this point being an upgrade over Miller from Xs and Os, to getting his players to buy in. Not the sexy pick, unless some big stars insist on a coach, or an elite (working) coach is available Id like to see Miller get a full season to make his case.

Please... Miller leaned on and featured Elf to Julius. Over and over again. And again. To end qtrs, to end games, to end possessions... really just one X and one O

Why would you like to see Miller get a full a season? He works hard and had a nice G league run. Thats it. Can we stop inflating Mike Miller into something he has yet to prove? Why do the Knicks get to be his trial team? Thibs has been a good coach at every stop and a very good teacher. Seems the biggest knock is he played his best players too much? Best player on the Bulls were Rose/Noah/Deng and Rose was hurt a ton. When he wasnt they were winning 50-60 games. When he was there were still winning close to 50.

Miller has no juice and his biggest endorsement is he did better than Fizdale. He's likable and a hard worker. Would be nice to see a good coach and a ready made staff come in with a plan and a system and be on the same page as the FO. Of all the guys out there including Atkinson, Thibs is the best choice.

Miller had maybe the least talented team in the league. For a while Miller got Randle to cut down on the spinovers, the 1 on 3 drives. Was playing like an All-Star. Did he permanently change Randle's game after less than half a season? No, who could? Mitch started coming out of his slump after Miller got the job. Playing lights out.

The only thing I see inflated is Thibs. Running your starters into the ground might get you to the playoffs, but they wont have enough left once they get there. We've seen that with 2 teams. Miller got his players to buy in on short notice, Thibs couldnt.

Im not inflating Miller's professional record. He's been a loyal employee who has performed well on every level in this organization, since he got here. He also was forced to be a spokesman for MSG which wasnt in his job description. Miller has shown enough to get a full season look from Rose. On the court, off the court.

If an elite coach from another team wants to come to NY, thats another matter. Dont consider Thibs to be one at this point.

Yeah, it's ridiculous to say Miller showed nothing. I had some problems with Miller as a coach, but I've had some issues with all our coaches. Fact remains, he was competent. He won more games in a shortened season than the our previous coach did in all of his time here. He had us on pace for a significant win increase and he did this all with the interim tag stuck to his name. He's shown development chops. Atkison took the nets from a situation similar to were the Knicks are now and guided them to gradual improvements this year. Do people honestly think This would have coached this team to more than 30 wins? And let's not go into the questionable moves Thibs made as player president in Minnesota. Is this guy's the right one to evaluate and incorporate talent on this Knicks roster.
Again, I don't think Thibs is the worse coach ever. Honestly, I wouldn't be that upset if we chose him. But how can fans overlook his obvious failings on a very talented Minnesota team. Yes, I can put a good amount of blame on Thibs for that situation because he also acted as the head executive of the franchise.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/2/2020  5:43 PM
knicks1248 wrote:All im asking is that why not deal with experience ppl who have had success in the NBA as oppose to gambling with another in experience coach/gm after seeing two 17 win seasons in the last 3 yrs, and not really paying off in the draft

What about a coach who in 8 seasons had a .589 winning record?
Who in the 7 full seasons he coached took his teams to the playoffs 6 times?

.589!!!!!!!

That's better than Coach Bud!!!!!!

Should we hire this winning coach??

Its Thibs!!!!!!!

I know, Rainman/1248 wants a "Winning coach" who never been fired before!!!! Bud was close. I agree, should have hired him. But that's done with.
Reality..............if you want a winning guy 1248, Miller, who I like, is not your guy. not experienced enough.

Coach Kenny? .383 winning. I know, he did a good job and I like him too. But your all like "I want winning guys".......
You want Thibs. Even if you know you have to fire him in a few years.
Ok, imagine this........mind blowing......but imagine if you hire him but on the premise he can't over play and ruin the young guys, that he manage minutes and not sleep at the practice facility, and not "Work too hard"...........What about that? That coach can actually learn from mistakes and build on his acumen.
Is that possible or we just think all coaches just stay the same? Like these super bright motivated humans never actually grow?

Or, sign him for 5 years, fire him after four when we made the conf. finals but did not move ahead? That ok?
This is Thibs. Larry brown did the same shyt and then he had to go In retrospect, you fire Isiah and let unleash larry and should have let him build it. We know he burns it down, but at least we build it!!!!

What have we learned? WE hire the right people for the wrong job, then don't give them enough time to finish it. Only Isiah was given free reign but it took a sexual harassment judgement against knicks and plea from stern to get his ass out! since its hindsight, you leave Layden he would not have done any worse than Isiah. Donnie? Don't force Melo trade I think we do no worse. Grunwald? WE get 54 win team. Phil? leave him be he'd traded KP for better value. convinced we better off not firing guys and they had done better. Mills? Lets see what happens. I hope Leon breaks the chain!!! Knicks so low I can't fathom it being that much worse.

Blame. Read up on Glen Taylor. The guy is very Dolanesque. Impatient and overly loyal at times. Funny, Hires Scott Layden after he was with the Spurs. I guess if Pop hired him he is sort of "Baptized" as good? SO Thibs was president, Layden was GM. Taylor fires him. Says then "We keep it that president will not be connected with basketball decisions". He then hires Rosa's who Layden reports to, keeps Shaun Saunders (very young). Team got worse after thibs left. From what I recall Butler was the heart and soul of the team. HE wanted to be in Minny with Thibs. Issue was KAT and Wiggins was not down with Thibs and Butler. Butler saw the future and it was KAT and Wiggins so he forced his way out. Taylor was upset with Thibs. Dolanesque, he panics.
This does not obsolve Thibs of all his sins but I think Leon knows the real deal, and if Thibs needs to modify some things they are bright people.

Does this guarantee anything? Of course not. It might be logical but Knicks defy it all the time!

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/3/2020  3:02 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Yeah, it's ridiculous to say Miller showed nothing. I had some problems with Miller as a coach, but I've had some issues with all our coaches. Fact remains, he was competent. He won more games in a shortened season than the our previous coach did in all of his time here. He had us on pace for a significant win increase and he did this all with the interim tag stuck to his name. He's shown development chops. Atkison took the nets from a situation similar to were the Knicks are now and guided them to gradual improvements this year. Do people honestly think This would have coached this team to more than 30 wins? And let's not go into the questionable moves Thibs made as player president in Minnesota. Is this guy's the right one to evaluate and incorporate talent on this Knicks roster.
Again, I don't think Thibs is the worse coach ever. Honestly, I wouldn't be that upset if we chose him. But how can fans overlook his obvious failings on a very talented Minnesota team. Yes, I can put a good amount of blame on Thibs for that situation because he also acted as the head executive of the franchise.
who is saying Miller showed nothing? What are the questionable moves in Minn? The only uptick in wins and playoffs since KG was there was under Thibs.

Is Thibs elite? I mean 6x coach of the month and 1x coach of the year. All he does is win. I mean geeze he's been pretty phucking good.

Mike Miller had a few good months in an interim role. That doesnt equate to being handed the keys to run the thing. Some cant get past seeing that as a knock or attack on Miller. It isnt. Its real life and how the world works.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigDaddyG

6/3/2020  3:14 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

who is saying Miller showed nothing? What are the questionable moves in Minn? The only uptick in wins and playoffs since KG was there was under Thibs.

Is Thibs elite? I mean 6x coach of the month and 1x coach of the year. All he does is win. I mean geeze he's been pretty phucking good.

Mike Miller had a few good months in an interim role. That doesnt equate to being handed the keys to run the thing. Some cant get past seeing that as a knock or attack on Miller. It isnt. Its real life and how the world works.

Have you seen Andrew Wiggins deal? Haven't you ever wondered what happened to that Deng who showed promise, was signed to a hefty deal and then left to languish on the bench? Do you absolve him for his part in mishandling the Jimmy Butler situation? Have you seen Minnesota's cap situation after he left?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/3/2020  4:11 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Have you seen Andrew Wiggins deal? Haven't you ever wondered what happened to that Deng who showed promise, was signed to a hefty deal and then left to languish on the bench? Do you absolve him for his part in mishandling the Jimmy Butler situation? Have you seen Minnesota's cap situation after he left?

You wouldn't be bringing him here for no other reason than to coach, lets not forget that atkinson couldn't get all of his players to buy in either (even the ones that weren't playing), MDA had that problem, Larry brown had that problem, the list of coaches is endless.

Also please consider that Atkinson system and this roster would result in a Fizdale type record

ES
fishmike
USA
6/3/2020  4:23 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

sure like many teams he was forced into the choice of overpaying talent to stay or letting it walk for nothing. Deng stunk. Idk about that one or why. Did the team improve? Also we are not hiring him to be president/coach which is a role that doesnt really work imo.

Are you saying based on the above Thibs is trash? Lets talk about his coaching. Is he trash? ok? good? really good? great? elite? Do you think Thib's experience in Minn makes him better or worse?

BigDaddyG

6/3/2020  5:51 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

sure like many teams he was forced into the choice of overpaying talent to stay or letting it walk for nothing. Deng stunk. Idk about that one or why. Did the team improve? Also we are not hiring him to be president/coach which is a role that doesnt really work imo.

Are you saying based on the above Thibs is trash? Lets talk about his coaching. Is he trash? ok? good? really good? great? elite? Do you think Thib's experience in Minn makes him better or worse?

I'm not saying he's trash. I said above that I wouldn't mind if he was hired. My point is that his rep isn't pristine and I don't accept him as a no-brainer. I also pointed out earlier that the improvements made offensively in Minnesota show that he's capable of improving. Do I think he can get better? Well, I hope so if he's the new Knicks coach. I think you can't completely separate his decisions as president from his duties as coach. I would think each decision he made as an executive was centered around his ability to coach a successful team.
Nalod
USA
6/4/2020  9:41 AM
This is not Chicago with Forman and Paxton.
This is not Minny with Glen Taylor a meddling fool.

Nalod in the past has pushed back on Thibs for the knicks. I did dnot think the circumstances were prime for him. Mentioned by media in the Phil era I thought it not a good fit given Phil's culture attempt.
I also think the Minny experience SHOULD elevate his thinking. We have a new front office and little hangover with Perry as I don't see him as the
The guy has proven to be a winning coach with a .589% Is he a ****ty exec? OK. Thats Leons Job. Perry's job. etc.
My hope is Miller is seen by Thibs as a good asset. We read "Management likes him". Its a good bridge to keep him as the players responded well to him. "Interim" was always the title. Should not be the issue of "Phils Triangles guys vs. Fishers not triangle guys". Leon is not bringing in "his system" and forcing it on others.

Its a rare career that ends in success for a coach. few get to walk away in glory and retire like Phil did three times. Jerry Sloan had a great 23 year run and it ended ugly. He gets little blame but fact is hew as beloved but he could not handle the new era. Not his fault? Sure it was, he was the coach. He gets lots of free passes. Pop has 5 rings. Any other coach in the last few years might have gotten the boot. MDA had to bide his time to get another good gig. Guys like Nellie, Adelman and Dunleavy all had good if not great careers but all ended as a firing at some point.

If Atkinson does not get a gig I hope he too can join the fray with Miller on the bench with Thibs. I hope one or both get head coaching gigs.

Important: Thibs elevated both franchises he coached. If he is knick coach he very much could fall again to having good success then have go. He will have left the franchise in better shape then he came.
His first two seasons in Chicago was over .700 winning % They were fried come playoff time. Thibs in his own words knows he has to figure out that balance going forward. Cross that bridge when we get to it.

fishmike
USA
6/4/2020  9:54 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I'm not saying he's trash. I said above that I wouldn't mind if he was hired. My point is that his rep isn't pristine and I don't accept him as a no-brainer. I also pointed out earlier that the improvements made offensively in Minnesota show that he's capable of improving. Do I think he can get better? Well, I hope so if he's the new Knicks coach. I think you can't completely separate his decisions as president from his duties as coach. I would think each decision he made as an executive was centered around his ability to coach a successful team.
who would be a pristine no brainer? Honest question... I mean who's the guy they could get who would make you go "wow... they got the best possible guy for the gig" ???

Kenny Atkinson? He's been a HC once, he's got 1 winning season in 4 and that was 42-40.
Mike Miller? We all like him, but even more inexperienced then Atkinson.

They are all decent I guess.. dont hate any of them. The question is who is the best fit? I do hope we keep Frank and look to extend him with something like a Marcus Smart type deal/role. Even if he doesnt blossom as my starting PG, he def looks like a 30 min a night guy at worst playing backup PG and defense off the bench. I think RJ/Thibs is a great pairing and I like the idea of handing Thibs a young squad with RJ/Mitch/Frank and hopefully another blue chip or two. Thats my take on Thibs... he's the best out there for us and a good fit.

BigDaddyG

6/4/2020  10:24 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

You wouldn't be bringing him here for no other reason than to coach, lets not forget that atkinson couldn't get all of his players to buy in either (even the ones that weren't playing), MDA had that problem, Larry brown had that problem, the list of coaches is endless.

Also please consider that Atkinson system and this roster would result in a Fizdale type record

Only three players were rumored to have problems with Atkinson. Prior to that, he developed a team of young players and got them to improve each year. Players have had issues with Thibs running them into the ground during practice and games. Thibs also tends to play short rosters that don't really do much for player development. Miller was able to get more wins than Fizdale. What makes you think Atkinson couldn't do the same?
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
6/4/2020  11:48 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Only three players were rumored to have problems with Atkinson. Prior to that, he developed a team of young players and got them to improve each year. Players have had issues with Thibs running them into the ground during practice and games. Thibs also tends to play short rosters that don't really do much for player development. Miller was able to get more wins than Fizdale. What makes you think Atkinson couldn't do the same?
Great points about both guys. The funny thing with Atkinson was one of the three guys that had trouble with him said he watched youtube videos of his coaching and wanted to play for him. In regards to Thibs, he does go with short rotations. His philosophy is to outscore the other teams bench by keeping his starters in against them but limiting their rest.
I actually think Atkinson is a great fit for the Knicks. He lives in the community and has his kids in school here. It would be an easy transition for him. He may also choose to sit out a year to not disrupt his family.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
USA
6/4/2020  12:49 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

So thibs is incapbable of adjusting to this? He is an inflexible computer with no adaptive skills and assumptive that Leon would not understand this issue? We blame him for ruining DRose? Or applaud him for coaching the youngest MVP ever? Do we ever blame a coach for frying a MVP player or they just had the genetic gift to push beyond? Jordan and Leborn have played ungodly minutes in their youth enroute to MVP.
DRose game was build on his athletic ability. Does any plyaer say: "Im good with less than max money if you cut my minutes and
I think he is saying the unemployed coaches currently available have some type of flaw. Its why they are not employed. Miller
Issue was not Atkinson, it was the team dynamic changed over night when they signed Kyrie and Durant.

Reminds me of Dave Blatt. Hired to coach super young team until Lebron decided to return. They still win 60 games but lose in the finals. They fired him next season anyway. Lue comes in and they win a chip.
Not that Blatt was bad, he was just not the right guy for that team. The dynamic changed.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy