OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/25/2020  12:36 PM
smackeddog wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Can't think of any ones that aren't well known, but my favourite of the famous ones are Last of Us 1 & 2 and God of War (the latest)- I usually only play one game a year but enjoyed all three of those!

Thanks for the tip. I have God of War 1 and 2 on my PS Vita. Could not get past the stage where you have to climb this thing, and kill the monster. Apparently it was an issue from the console version.
Where I heard of the game I mentioned. Weird playing this game on a phone sized screen, to a big screen.

Looking for a good Samurai fighting game, without the story mode. There was this game called "Bushido Blade" on the PS1 where you had to learn real moves, wasnt a button masher. You could play first or third person. Ahead of its time. Surprised we havent seen a "realistic" Samurai game since then.

Geek Alert! Zach Snyder's edit of Justice League will be out next year. Supposed to be much different.

Ha, I remember Bushido Blade- me and my friend use to put it on that game mode where you had to kill 100 enemies in a row, while we pumped out some music

There's a big new samurai game coming out soon called Ghost of Tsushima:

Also this one came out a few years ago, it's called Nioh- I haven't played it but it got a good review:

And here's the sequel:

Awesome thanks. Buying some games to play for fall/winter. These look great.

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler

6/25/2020  12:50 PM
NYKBocker wrote:I also started watching Star Trek The Next Generation. Never saw it before. Planning on watching the whole series then the movies then Picard. I was never really a star trek fan but I started watching The Orville and Star Trek Discovery and really liked both. Enjoying it so far.

Love that show. Just finished the second season of Star Trek Discovery. Its a good show, great characters, special fx are amazing for a TV show. One drawback however is they have the lead character crying her eyes out, every other scene. Or one of the crew is doing a death scene. Heavy on the shmaltz, but its still a fun show. Hope it takes a less emotional turn.

Cant wait for "Picard" on bluray. Havent seen it yet.

GustavBahler

6/25/2020  1:11 PM
NotInMyHouse wrote:Black Mirror (series) is amazing. Perhaps not the best thing to watch during these times, but then again...

Got the first 2 seasons on DVD this year. The first episode gets my vote for the most WTF series premiere in TV history. Watched 2 episodes so far. Smart show.

NotInMyHouse
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6433

6/25/2020  1:51 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NotInMyHouse wrote:Black Mirror (series) is amazing. Perhaps not the best thing to watch during these times, but then again...

Got the first 2 seasons on DVD this year. The first episode gets my vote for the most WTF series premiere in TV history. Watched 2 episodes so far. Smart show.

I can understand why they are not doing a 6th season. When asked, the producers/director (I forget) said something like "we really don't need it right now"!

Watch the 2014 White Christmas Special as well as the Bandersnatch movie spun from the show. Both were great.
3rd and 4th seasons have mostly great episodes. Ready to start the last season, but it only has 3 episodes.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/25/2020  3:41 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I also started watching Star Trek The Next Generation. Never saw it before. Planning on watching the whole series then the movies then Picard. I was never really a star trek fan but I started watching The Orville and Star Trek Discovery and really liked both. Enjoying it so far.

Love that show. Just finished the second season of Star Trek Discovery. Its a good show, great characters, special fx are amazing for a TV show. One drawback however is they have the lead character crying her eyes out, every other scene. Or one of the crew is doing a death scene. Heavy on the shmaltz, but its still a fun show. Hope it takes a less emotional turn.

I’ll forgive her as I was a big fan of hers in the Walking Dead and find her to be beautiful! I will not tolerate ANY criticism of her acting!

smackeddog
6/25/2020  3:43 PM

It gets way better after the first 2 seasons (I hate season 1 and season 2 is very corny!)

If you like it all, do give Deep Space Nine a try, it’s my favorite, has aged the best, and has an ongoing story arc (takes a few seasons to get going), is a bit darker and better character development.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/25/2020  11:50 PM
smackeddog wrote:
It gets way better after the first 2 seasons (I hate season 1 and season 2 is very corny!)

If you like it all, do give Deep Space Nine a try, it's my favorite, has aged the best, and has an ongoing story arc (takes a few seasons to get going), is a bit darker and better character development.

I will definitely give Deep Space Nine a try. I tried watching the original series but I couldn't get past the 1st 3 episodes. I also want so see Voyager. I love me some Jeri Ryan

dodger78
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #250
Germany
6/26/2020  7:45 AM
Basically binged through all 6 Seasons of Bosch since the start of Things on top of the first Seasons of Mandalorina and Picard.
Bosch was great! Mandalorina succeeded in bringing in some new Things into a well known world of Star Wars whereas Picard to me did a horrible Job trying to do the same Thing as Mandalorian.
In Terms of games I am just in the process of playing The Last Of Us 2 and love it so far. Part 1 was already amazing!
Also liked Days Gone and Gods of War a lot!!!

Other good series to me were "The Alienist" and "Carnival Row"... both started with their first Seasons and did really well I think!!!

Stay safe everybody!

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/26/2020  11:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2020  11:41 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:Saw Once upon a time in Hollywood. Such a letdown. Wow. Story nonexistent, no suspense , no action no nothing. The dog and the little girl did the best acting jobs. It's my own damn fault for having such high expectations. Not going to tell you all who haven't seen it what happens tho. Maybe Tarantino set the bar too high with his previous movies. Maybe

Yeah, I've tried to watch it and it just didn't suck me in. I'll give it another try at some point.

Same here, I couldn't get pass the first 30 min, I think the bar was set way up there with the film being a Tarantino and stars like PiTT and Dicaprio

Finally made it through. It's a good movie but way too long. Someone needed to man up and tell Quentin to wrap it up!

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/26/2020  12:07 PM
Any electrical/elctronics engineers in the house? I'm trying to get some IR sensors to work on an outdoor pop-a-shot setup, and they just won't work when I solder longer wires onto them. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot them with a multimeter? The google is not very helpful.

smackeddog
6/26/2020  1:06 PM
dodger78 wrote:Basically binged through all 6 Seasons of Bosch since the start of Things on top of the first Seasons of Mandalorina and Picard.
Bosch was great! Mandalorina succeeded in bringing in some new Things into a well known world of Star Wars whereas Picard to me did a horrible Job trying to do the same Thing as Mandalorian.
In Terms of games I am just in the process of playing The Last Of Us 2 and love it so far. Part 1 was already amazing!

I'm really enjoying it so far, but I'm terrified what's going to happen next plot wise- feels like all bets are off- haven't been this on edge playing a game since one of the old Silent Hill games! don't get why people are complaining about it being downbeat and bleak- it's exactly the same tone as the first one, which is what made it so good! Did people just forget about everything but the bit with the giraffes?!

GustavBahler

6/26/2020  6:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2020  6:44 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

If you like it all, do give Deep Space Nine a try, it's my favorite, has aged the best, and has an ongoing story arc (takes a few seasons to get going), is a bit darker and better character development.

I will definitely give Deep Space Nine a try. I tried watching the original series but I couldn't get past the 1st 3 episodes. I also want so see Voyager. I love me some Jeri Ryan

I really liked Voyager, although the stories tended to be derivative of other Star Treks at times. Ryan does keep your attention, lol. But Kate Mulgrew really anchors the show as Janeway. Underrated when they talk about past Captains IMO.

Swishfm3
Member: #392
6/27/2020  1:10 AM
Just binged watched "The Expanse". Really enjoyed the first two seasons. 3 & 4 were ok but definitely give a go if you're into sci-fi. Started up the latest season of Westworld.

as for games, recently finished "Until Dawn". Game is more of a "pick your adventure" type of game but it was pretty good. Going to start "Days Gone" this weekend.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/27/2020  7:40 AM
Swishfm3 wrote:Just binged watched "The Expanse". Really enjoyed the first two seasons. 3 & 4 were ok but definitely give a go if you're into sci-fi. Started up the latest season of Westworld.

as for games, recently finished "Until Dawn". Game is more of a "pick your adventure" type of game but it was pretty good. Going to start "Days Gone" this weekend.

I'd rank the seasons 2,1,3,4, but they're all good.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/2/2020  8:25 PM
smackeddog wrote:

I'm on the middle of the 2nd season. Riker is weirding me out. The way he walks and stands. What the heck is that lean?

dodger78
Germany
7/3/2020  2:59 AM
smackeddog wrote:
dodger78 wrote:Basically binged through all 6 Seasons of Bosch since the start of Things on top of the first Seasons of Mandalorina and Picard.

I'm really enjoying it so far, but I'm terrified what's going to happen next plot wise- feels like all bets are off- haven't been this on edge playing a game since one of the old Silent Hill games! don't get why people are complaining about it being downbeat and bleak- it's exactly the same tone as the first one, which is what made it so good! Did people just forget about everything but the bit with the giraffes?!

I have a great time playing TLOU2 as well... I love how they were able to follow the tone of the first part which obviously was amazing story telling...
I do get where the criticism is coming from... Naughty Dog did take some BIG risks the way they have set up the story, but to me it works wonderful. No issues with any of the turns as off yet even though there are some BIG time changes happening.

Technically and coming from a game playing perspective I think the game is just amazing and makes a lot of fun!!!

I think I have another 5-10 hours or so of playing time with this one and then the next game in line is Cyberpunk 2077 I guess...

smackeddog
7/3/2020  3:52 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I'm on the middle of the 2nd season. Riker is weirding me out. The way he walks and stands. What the heck is that lean?

When you see the ep 'the icarus factor', you'll understand why Riker is so f'd up, lol

smackeddog
7/3/2020  3:57 AM
dodger78 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I have a great time playing TLOU2 as well... I love how they were able to follow the tone of the first part which obviously was amazing story telling...
I do get where the criticism is coming from... Naughty Dog did take some BIG risks the way they have set up the story, but to me it works wonderful. No issues with any of the turns as off yet even though there are some BIG time changes happening.

Technically and coming from a game playing perspective I think the game is just amazing and makes a lot of fun!!!

I think I have another 5-10 hours or so of playing time with this one and then the next game in line is Cyberpunk 2077 I guess...

I agree! At first I thought it was exactly the same as the first one (still enjoyed it) then it became very different. Man do I feel guilty! Playing fetch with a dog in the controversial part of the game had be feeling bad! Ha ha! Great game, story, graphics- still have 5-10hrs too.

I'll believe Cyberpunk when I see it- it's probably going to keep getting pushed back. Might hold off and get it for the ps5 if/when that's out

dodger78
Germany
7/3/2020  4:03 AM
smackeddog wrote:
dodger78 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I agree! At first I thought it was exactly the same as the first one (still enjoyed it) then it became very different. Man do I feel guilty! Playing fetch with a dog in the controversial part of the game had be feeling bad! Ha ha! Great game, story, graphics- still have 5-10hrs too.

I'll believe Cyberpunk when I see it- it's probably going to keep getting pushed back. Might hold off and get it for the ps5 if/when that's out

Now the key question is... did you or did you not at a certain Point simply throw the ball over the fence?!?
I think that turn of events adds a super unique emotional layer to the game... never really seen that before to this extent... leaving that plane of good vs evil!
I like it a lot!

Well I hear you regarding Cyberpunk, been deep into the whole Shadowrun stuff back in the days so I am still looking Forward to it.
Any good tips on what would be a good stop gap for the wait?
I mean Ive been through all the "goodies" - The Witcher (which was crazy good as well!), Days Gone, TLOU obviously...

smackeddog
7/3/2020  5:06 AM
dodger78 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
dodger78 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Now the key question is... did you or did you not at a certain Point simply throw the ball over the fence?!?
I think that turn of events adds a super unique emotional layer to the game... never really seen that before to this extent... leaving that plane of good vs evil!
I like it a lot!

Well I hear you regarding Cyberpunk, been deep into the whole Shadowrun stuff back in the days so I am still looking Forward to it.
Any good tips on what would be a good stop gap for the wait?
I mean Ive been through all the "goodies" - The Witcher (which was crazy good as well!), Days Gone, TLOU obviously...

I like the shady morality of it, thought it was great choice to go in that direction. Didn't work out so well for me though as I'm a bit of a completions so ensure I kill everyone and everything so I can go hunting for machine parts etc undisturbed!

I haven't played many games the last couple of years so tough to recommend other games! Loved the new God of War game on ps4. Couldn't get into Horizon Dawn, but that's well regarded. I bought Final Fantasy xv at the start of this lockdown thing but haven't got round to playing it yet. I refuse to buy FFVII remake because it's not the full game and it could be years until they release part 2 (then more years until part 3!)

OT: The ‘How to Spend Your Exile’ thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy