[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Rumor: Villanova head coach Jay Wright a real possibility per chris lane and adam zagoria
Author Thread
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/17/2020  1:51 PM
Nalod wrote:
TPercy wrote:Honest question: Why would he be different from the likes of Belein and Hoiberg?

he has chips?
You might be right though. In fact, you can indict every college coach that did not succeed. Is an NBA chip the only metric? Did Billy Donovan Fail? Bill Fitch? Larry Brown? Dr Jack Ramsey, Dick Motta, Paul Westhead, chuck Daly...........The list is longer. Sometimes its the fit, not just the coach. PItino with knicks then failed i Boston. Why???
I’m not going to guarantee Jay Wright will succeed. Handsome Jay is 58. He is a philly guy and 76ers job might open up. Knicks will pay. He’ll have a honeymoon period to acclimate. With 76ers he’ll be jumping in the fire.

what if Jay Wright works out like Brad Stevens?

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/17/2020  2:29 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
Nalod wrote:
TPercy wrote:Honest question: Why would he be different from the likes of Belein and Hoiberg?

he has chips?
You might be right though. In fact, you can indict every college coach that did not succeed. Is an NBA chip the only metric? Did Billy Donovan Fail? Bill Fitch? Larry Brown? Dr Jack Ramsey, Dick Motta, Paul Westhead, chuck Daly...........The list is longer. Sometimes its the fit, not just the coach. PItino with knicks then failed i Boston. Why???
I’m not going to guarantee Jay Wright will succeed. Handsome Jay is 58. He is a philly guy and 76ers job might open up. Knicks will pay. He’ll have a honeymoon period to acclimate. With 76ers he’ll be jumping in the fire.

what if Jay Wright works out like Brad Stevens?

We need patience, either way. I'm hopeful the new regime survives the next time Dolan gets showered with "Sell the team chants!" when he comes back from his world tour.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/17/2020  3:12 PM
Just don't get how this is even a possibility given the timing.

Maybe he is on some list someone has in the back of their mind.

Rose ain't even official, March Madness hasn't even hit.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/17/2020  4:43 PM
martin wrote:Just don't get how this is even a possibility given the timing.

How do you even quantify what a "real possibility" is lol I heard a rumour that Rose will be inaugurated sometime in the next few days. Might've been the Knicks Wall or Knicks Film School podcast. All we can do is wait. Even if you don't love the idea of Jay Wright, it looks and sounds better than Mark Jackson.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

2/17/2020  4:46 PM
Uptown wrote:Jay Wright is one of if not the best college coach in the country...He does an excellent job of developing his players and squeezing every ounce of potential out of them. He has won championships with players that weren't McDonalds all americans, and has dominated the Big East. I have a couple of his practice/coaching clinic DVDS and he is awesome.

He would be a great, great hire.

Putting aside that I cannot guarantee the same success in the pros, Uptown raises all the right points. He knows what it means to be a "team" winning with lesser talent by paying attention to the details

Keep in mind that we are in a salary capped league so everything else being equal (and ignoring the drafting/signing flubs for a moment), this is how you win in the NBA> A pro team cannot operate like Kentucky or Duke where they're able to stack the team with all the star talent.

My only hesitation is that Miller has shown some aptitude at winning with lesser talent that (a) he had not input into assembling and (b) that he had to accept during the season -- unable to instill whatever system he had in pre-season

Miller is at least a credible candidate; would be good if they could co-exist in some way

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/17/2020  7:57 PM
martin wrote:Just don't get how this is even a possibility given the timing.

Jalen Brunson is a Leon client. Brunson dad was Leons first client. Brunson went to Villenova. Rose from south jersey, near Phlly. Uh, what else........
Writers Write right about Wright. Or wrong.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/18/2020  7:46 AM
Chandler wrote:
Uptown wrote:Jay Wright is one of if not the best college coach in the country...He does an excellent job of developing his players and squeezing every ounce of potential out of them. He has won championships with players that weren't McDonalds all americans, and has dominated the Big East. I have a couple of his practice/coaching clinic DVDS and he is awesome.

Putting aside that I cannot guarantee the same success in the pros, Uptown raises all the right points. He knows what it means to be a "team" winning with lesser talent by paying attention to the details

Keep in mind that we are in a salary capped league so everything else being equal (and ignoring the drafting/signing flubs for a moment), this is how you win in the NBA> A pro team cannot operate like Kentucky or Duke where they're able to stack the team with all the star talent.

My only hesitation is that Miller has shown some aptitude at winning with lesser talent that (a) he had not input into assembling and (b) that he had to accept during the season -- unable to instill whatever system he had in pre-season

Miller is at least a credible candidate; would be good if they could co-exist in some way

I don't see our problem this year as the coach. It certainly was at the beginning of the season with Fizdale as he was on pace to lose 70 games and we clearly had better talent.

But next year, a full season of Miller vs a full first season of Jay Wright- I'm not sure there is a huge difference in wins.

Look- at some point, we need some kind of continuity. We can't continue to turn the roster over every year, swap out coaches and expect anything to grow.

Even if Miller is a lesser coach, we'd benefit from still having him in year two to continue building on the things he started in year 1. Please, let's try to build instead of our overnight plans for an instant contender, which is what I am worried our move to Rose is all about.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/18/2020  9:41 AM
Jay Wright is really smart, charismatic and a true basketball man. That would be an impressive hire, especially if they give him help and freedom
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/18/2020  9:59 AM
fishmike wrote:Jay Wright is really smart, charismatic and a true basketball man. That would be an impressive hire, especially if they give him help and freedom

agree - but you forgot to mention that he is also the best dressed person in sports. his suit collection is impressive

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/18/2020  10:32 AM
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/outerlink.asp?id=146068452

Link to article that a source close to the NCAA says Jay loves Villanova. To fill up letters they remind us that Jay, Leon and WWW is from the philly area, went to Temple and that's it.
That Jay had turned down the gig two years ago.
First off if I am Jay Wright I blow it off and leak this kind of thing. If it does not go away I then say "I won't comment on rumor, its unfair to the kids". Until he flat out says "No freaking way" its not a no. There should not be anything to this at this point in his season. The killer for good coaches and good guys, and lets assume he is, they are out recruiting and at the same time if they are interested essentially "lying" to their faces. Its a tough moral dilemma for a guy like this. With two chips and all that charm there has to be a mutual love with him at the school and in Philly. Its a great gig that few coaches really get to enjoy that kind of cred, money and love. Naturally he still has to win. If not, he becomes "Beloved".....and the chatter starts.
Coach K, Coach Roy, Izzo, Bill Self, Coach Cal, Boeheim......Add Wright and you got 7 guys that iconic status! Of the actives, who am I missing?

These guys make sick money. Cal makes 9mm year. coach K did in 2013 but base is over 7mm thru 2018. Not sure what wright makes now but this was from two years ago:
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Its not about the money at some point. If Wright ever has a thought to try his hand at the NBA he could have the Philly job (just my 2 cents) and as reported the Knicks. At 58 this might be the time. He was offered a double of salary to take the UCLA job last year.

I'd say any geographical similarity to Leon The Professonal (LTP), associative, cultural, and Religious will likely be exercised in the coming weeks until we name our coach.
I reiterate no college or working coach should even address this. An emphatic "NO" would paint him a liar if he took the gig. Anything less keep's the door open.

Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

2/18/2020  12:37 PM
franco12 wrote:
Chandler wrote:

I don't see our problem this year as the coach. It certainly was at the beginning of the season with Fizdale as he was on pace to lose 70 games and we clearly had better talent.

But next year, a full season of Miller vs a full first season of Jay Wright- I'm not sure there is a huge difference in wins.

Look- at some point, we need some kind of continuity. We can't continue to turn the roster over every year, swap out coaches and expect anything to grow.

Even if Miller is a lesser coach, we'd benefit from still having him in year two to continue building on the things he started in year 1. Please, let's try to build instead of our overnight plans for an instant contender, which is what I am worried our move to Rose is all about.

I agree with you in principle. But at the same time if Budenholzer said he wanted to coach here, i wouldn't hesitate for a second. It will come down to is Jay more like Budenholzer or more on par with Miller

Also we shouldn't be blind to the fact that (rightly or wrongly) there will be immense turnover this season. Roster will be very different, and I don't think Leon was hired to come in here and say the GM, FO, etc are all doing a great job -- just keep doing what you're doing

(5)(5)
Rumor: Villanova head coach Jay Wright a real possibility per chris lane and adam zagoria

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy