EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/15/2020  5:08 PM
smackeddog wrote:
EnySpree wrote:He's literally Danny Granger

Danny granger was good before injuries derailed his career

Indeed. If the kid can get to that level we'll be great

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

2/16/2020  10:24 AM
Little off topic he’s so weird to me. Doesn’t have blowby speed, isn’t really a savvy finisher, very suspect shooting but we all see something(including me) in this kid that he will thrive in a couple years.
The Future is Bright!
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/16/2020  11:04 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:
martin wrote:
Chandler wrote:totally disagree on this, sorry. he has a distinct advantage at SG with his bully ball style. Play to his strengths and not preconceived notions. (Yes he needs to improve his shooting; if he gets his FT% up he will be a monster and attack that much more forcefully -- most efficient way to score)

moving him to SF is like moving Frank off point (Frank's strength is guarding the point; you play him against bigger people and that advantage is weakened or lost)

Same.

A high level teams needs both SG and SF to shoot the ball. Same with the other positions.

+1

I see no reason why he can't impact the game like Joe Johnson

So you don't see how he can't impact the game like one of the better shooters the game has had at SG in J.Johnson? That's a horrible player to use as a comparison since Joe was a great shooter and RJ is really really bad.

You can not like the comp but clearly you obviously haven't seen Joe Johnson play and have no idea what his strengths were

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/16/2020  12:42 PM
TPercy wrote:Little off topic he’s so weird to me. Doesn’t have blowby speed, isn’t really a savvy finisher, very suspect shooting but we all see something(including me) in this kid that he will thrive in a couple years.

I think we all hope that he could maybe produce in the likes of Paul Pierce who maybe has a similar sort of game?

Man it's so hard to compare players who come out of college at 19 to those that simmer and get to NBA at 21.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/piercpa01.html#all_all_college_stats

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/16/2020  1:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2020  1:27 PM
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:Little off topic he’s so weird to me. Doesn’t have blowby speed, isn’t really a savvy finisher, very suspect shooting but we all see something(including me) in this kid that he will thrive in a couple years.

I think we all hope that he could maybe produce in the likes of Paul Pierce who maybe has a similar sort of game?

Man it's so hard to compare players who come out of college at 19 to those that simmer and get to NBA at 21.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/piercpa01.html#all_all_college_stats

Age matters so much. Everyone is high on morant because he’s great but he’s a year older than Barrett. How much better was he last year than Barrett is this year ? I think Barrett is better now than Ja was last year personally. Barrett is younger than Cole Anthony, who was a top 3 projected pick before injury.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/16/2020  2:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2020  2:38 PM
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

Age matters so much. Everyone is high on morant because he’s great but he’s a year older than Barrett. How much better was he last year than Barrett is this year ? I think Barrett is better now than Ja was last year personally. Barrett is younger than Cole Anthony, who was a top 3 projected pick before injury.

Ja is a far better athlete than RJ, more explosive, a better shooter, much better vision, better ball handler and his impact on the game is greater than RJ's.
Very easy to project Ja as a future all star, sooner rather than later...Regardless of age, this is not a good comparison.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

2/16/2020  6:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/17/2020  7:38 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:These positions are fairly interchangeable this days. If we had a shooters at other positions, this wouldn't be an issue. I think this is the least of the team's worries. I do agree that we need a legit starting line guard, especially one who can shoot if we pair him up with RJ.

Yep just get a lights out shooter on the wing. Knicks need to revamp the PG spot. They need to get 2 quality guards this off-season. I would overpay one if I had to. I think one of the reasons our young players are so bad is that our ball handlers are the worst in the NBA. Trade Dennis Smith jr for whatever you can get. KP trade was a disaster nothing you can do about it now lets recoup something.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
SupremeCommander

2/17/2020  10:18 AM
martin wrote:

one of my good friends is a Celtics fan and that is who he thinks RJ will end up like

SupremeCommander

2/17/2020  10:24 AM
I don't think RJ excels at anything in particular persay but what I love about his game is he is adequate at really everything (except his FTs) and can spot up for a three, get to the elbow, get to the post, drive, run the point forward, etc. That's where I see some Joe in him... Once RJ's body fills out, there is no doubt in my mind he will be an effective post player. So, yes, he has to get better across the board but I mean what's exciting to me is his complete game. His game needs to mature and expand for sure but I am really excited to see where he gets when he is 25, 28. He's as bluechip a prospect as we've had
Knixkik
USA
2/17/2020  11:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/17/2020  11:49 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:I don't think RJ excels at anything in particular persay but what I love about his game is he is adequate at really everything (except his FTs) and can spot up for a three, get to the elbow, get to the post, drive, run the point forward, etc. That's where I see some Joe in him... Once RJ's body fills out, there is no doubt in my mind he will be an effective post player. So, yes, he has to get better across the board but I mean what's exciting to me is his complete game. His game needs to mature and expand for sure but I am really excited to see where he gets when he is 25, 28. He's as bluechip a prospect as we've had

I mostly agree, but i think he really excels at what we consider downhill basketball and getting to the free throw line. He just doesn't have many opportunities to take advantage of those tools as this team is currently constructed. For the life of me i'll never understand why the front office priority wasn't getting faster and more athletic. Randle, Portis, Gibson, Payton, Bullock, Morris, and Ellington. Literally not one player they signed i would consider a freak athlete in the open floor. They are forcing Barrett to be a half court player, which he definitely isn't.

Chandler
Member: #6197

2/18/2020  12:48 PM
Knixkik wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:I don't think RJ excels at anything in particular persay but what I love about his game is he is adequate at really everything (except his FTs) and can spot up for a three, get to the elbow, get to the post, drive, run the point forward, etc. That's where I see some Joe in him... Once RJ's body fills out, there is no doubt in my mind he will be an effective post player. So, yes, he has to get better across the board but I mean what's exciting to me is his complete game. His game needs to mature and expand for sure but I am really excited to see where he gets when he is 25, 28. He's as bluechip a prospect as we've had

I mostly agree, but i think he really excels at what we consider downhill basketball and getting to the free throw line. He just doesn't have many opportunities to take advantage of those tools as this team is currently constructed. For the life of me i'll never understand why the front office priority wasn't getting faster and more athletic. Randle, Portis, Gibson, Payton, Bullock, Morris, and Ellington. Literally not one player they signed i would consider a freak athlete in the open floor. They are forcing Barrett to be a half court player, which he definitely isn't.

I agree we SC. We are so desperate for a turnaround that we can forget how young he is. He has certain qualities you just can't teach. His shooting and overall game will improve and mature. Jaylen Brown looked lost as a rookie

Regarding Knixkik, i suspect DSJ, Mitchell, and some degree Wooten are supposed to be freakish. Not sure how i feel about that as a priority (sure it's nice to have but...). I'd rather have basketball players than athletes (to borrow a phrase from NFL)

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/18/2020  1:53 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:
martin wrote:

one of my good friends is a Celtics fan and that is who he thinks RJ will end up like

Didn't realize how close their 3 pt. % were as freshmen. I compared RJ to Caron Butler, who was similar, but less talented than Pierce. Makes me feel a little better about RJ's shot improving.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
USA
2/18/2020  2:11 PM
Uptown wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:

Ja is a far better athlete than RJ, more explosive, a better shooter, much better vision, better ball handler and his impact on the game is greater than RJ's.
Very easy to project Ja as a future all star, sooner rather than later...Regardless of age, this is not a good comparison.

It's not really supposed to be a comparison, but everything is easy to project in retrospect. Just look at Ja as a freshman. He was barely an NBA prospect. It's not like his elite athleticism appeared out of nowhere, he just become a better player in every facet.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/18/2020  5:16 PM
TPercy wrote:Little off topic he's so weird to me. Doesn't have blowby speed, isn't really a savvy finisher, very suspect shooting but we all see something(including me) in this kid that he will thrive in a couple years.
He really reminds me of Scottie Pippen. Danny Granger comparison is also pretty good.
knicks1248
Member: #582
2/19/2020  2:54 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
TPercy wrote:Little off topic he's so weird to me. Doesn't have blowby speed, isn't really a savvy finisher, very suspect shooting but we all see something(including me) in this kid that he will thrive in a couple years.
He really reminds me of Scottie Pippen. Danny Granger comparison is also pretty good.

Both of those players were like 6 9-6 10" and had ball handling skills.

I see a more spreewell free flowing type of player who isn't afraid to take it to the whole.

Obviously a 3 point shot will open up a lot of lanes for him

ES
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/19/2020  2:59 PM
Ingram does look nice, though I am sceptical about his impact. Some posters suggested a sign and trade with the pelicans (if they didn’t want to give him a max) of RJ for him- would you do it?

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/19/2020  3:25 PM
smackeddog wrote:Ingram does look nice, though I am sceptical about his impact. Some posters suggested a sign and trade with the pelicans (if they didn’t want to give him a max) of RJ for him- would you do it?

No. Our cupboard is still kind of bare. I like Ingram but he's not a top 20 player.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/19/2020  3:52 PM
smackeddog wrote:Ingram does look nice, though I am sceptical about his impact. Some posters suggested a sign and trade with the pelicans (if they didn’t want to give him a max) of RJ for him- would you do it?

No. This guy had a rough rookie champagne and RJ gets better each week.
Ingram missed a big chunk of last season with blood clots in his lungs. He will be restricted and I would imagine if Pels don't want to pay him they can trade him but..........
They can ask for a lot but it might be a great market.
Im not giving up RJ, he might be a better player. RJ is 19. I like Ingram though. I give them Knox and our 1st rounder pick this year. Is that fair? likely not. But Im not banking the franchise in this kid.
Im not ready to dump Knox either. Nobody said I was rational.

knicks1248
Member: #582
2/19/2020  4:36 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

No. Our cupboard is still kind of bare. I like Ingram but he's not a top 20 player.

he's better than any of our young guys by far..

and knox regressed in his 2nd yr , ingram progressed

ES
RJ Barrett is a SF not a SG..

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy