[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

RJ Barrett is a SF not a SG..
Author Thread
TLover
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #381
USA
2/14/2020  2:46 PM
Can we please focus on him being a small forward/point forward. Can be a very similar player to Scottie Pippen. Shooting guards need to be able to shoot. The kid can rebound so put him in position to do so. Our guys need to be developed better. Also we need better talent evaluators bc Kevin Knox & Dennis Smith Jr are looking like busts.
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/14/2020  2:48 PM
Agree, we need a shooter at SG. Plus most PG options in the draft aren’t great 3pt shooters, so don’t think them and RJ in the backcourt would be great
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/14/2020  3:07 PM
These positions are fairly interchangeable this days. If we had a shooters at other positions, this wouldn't be an issue. I think this is the least of the team's worries. I do agree that we need a legit starting line guard, especially one who can shoot if we pair him up with RJ.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Member: #6197

2/14/2020  3:32 PM
totally disagree on this, sorry. he has a distinct advantage at SG with his bully ball style. Play to his strengths and not preconceived notions. (Yes he needs to improve his shooting; if he gets his FT% up he will be a monster and attack that much more forcefully -- most efficient way to score)

moving him to SF is like moving Frank off point (Frank's strength is guarding the point; you play him against bigger people and that advantage is weakened or lost)

(5)(5)
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/14/2020  3:42 PM
Chandler wrote:totally disagree on this, sorry. he has a distinct advantage at SG with his bully ball style. Play to his strengths and not preconceived notions. (Yes he needs to improve his shooting; if he gets his FT% up he will be a monster and attack that much more forcefully -- most efficient way to score)

moving him to SF is like moving Frank off point (Frank's strength is guarding the point; you play him against bigger people and that advantage is weakened or lost)

Same.

A high level teams needs both SG and SF to shoot the ball. Same with the other positions.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

2/14/2020  3:44 PM
martin wrote:
Chandler wrote:totally disagree on this, sorry. he has a distinct advantage at SG with his bully ball style. Play to his strengths and not preconceived notions. (Yes he needs to improve his shooting; if he gets his FT% up he will be a monster and attack that much more forcefully -- most efficient way to score)

Same.

A high level teams needs both SG and SF to shoot the ball. Same with the other positions.

+1

I see no reason why he can't impact the game like Joe Johnson

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
2/14/2020  3:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/14/2020  3:46 PM
I don't think it matters so much what position he is, but who is playing next to him. He needs a Buddy Hield or Joe Harris type on the wing alongside him. Joe Harris, for example, is neither a definite SG or SF, he really plays both, like RJ can. Just interchangeable wings with complimentary skillsets.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/14/2020  4:45 PM
He gets his perimeter game going and he will be an all-star
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/14/2020  5:26 PM
NYKBocker wrote:He gets his perimeter game going and he will be an all-star

Yup and I want him staying far and away from that shot doctor this year.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
2/14/2020  5:34 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:He gets his perimeter game going and he will be an all-star

Yup and I want him staying far and away from that shot doctor this year.

This is the guy that they need to get.
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/8/9/16115516/skills-trainer-rob-mclanaghan-chandler-parsons
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GT2AM
Member: #8847

2/15/2020  12:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2020  12:36 AM
RJ Barret interview after being leading scorer in the Rising Star game:

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1228533360927969285/video/1

I really like what he said about bragging rights at the end. This kid has a Winning attitude. That with his drive to excel personally and be the best player. Reminds me of someone...

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
2/15/2020  4:22 AM
GT2AM wrote:RJ Barret interview after being leading scorer in the Rising Star game:

I really like what he said about bragging rights at the end. This kid has a Winning attitude. That with his drive to excel personally and be the best player. Reminds me of someone...

That is his best quality. This kid is a grinder and a fighter. He is going to put in the work to get better and he wants to win. I don’t know what his ceiling will be but I am confident that in 2-3 years this kid is going to be one of top SGs in the league and a main cog for our team. With him and Mitch, we have a foundation.

Trust the Process
GT2AM
Member: #8847

2/15/2020  9:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2020  11:16 AM
TheGame wrote:
GT2AM wrote:RJ Barret interview after being leading scorer in the Rising Star game:

That is his best quality. This kid is a grinder and a fighter. He is going to put in the work to get better and he wants to win. I don’t know what his ceiling will be but I am confident that in 2-3 years this kid is going to be one of top SGs in the league and a main cog for our team. With him and Mitch, we have a foundation.

This All Star Rising Stars game, with its accompanying open interviews, (something we don't see with the knicks media restrictions) has really opened my eyes to who Barrett is as a person, his attitudes, drives, personality. You can see his body language in the interview after the game in the clip above. At 1:00 when he says the other team won his shoulders sag. It bothers him. He was playing to win, maybe the only guy on the court with that attitude in this game.

Here is the game in 10 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJgXcGYBq_4&list=TLPQMTUwMjIwMjBCtnlaXk9SGw&index=1

He starts the game off playing defense, even got a compliment from the announcer. Until , I guess, he realizes its not that type of game. Check out how he blows past the field at 3:15 and a nice spin move at 4:55. But check out what happens at 9:01 with the score 139 USA -116 World with 4:19 left in the 4th. He goes to defend an inbounds after a made shot. He's like "we've been here with the knicks before. We can make a comeback." Still fighting in a game that ended with a dunk show.

Check out his postgame inteview with Trae Young. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCUKYhuVs5s You get to see what was going thru his mind, what he thinks about during games. Trae talks until 3:35. Then a tough question hits and he folds and passes to Barrett who handles it smoothly. Listen until the end ,its funny. But it seems like he was the only guy playing with the drive to win this game. No wonder he ended up with a game high 27. (next best was 20, then all teens.)

Here is one more interview before the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZf_V5qZyNw
He talks of expecting greatness from himself and learning from veterans. Just another window to see who the knicks newest rookie is.

Who does he remind you of? I thought he has Kobe genes (Maple Mamba) but after seeing how Barrett conducted himself this All Star break he reminds me of someone much closer to home. Yankees Derek Jeter when he was a rookie. The way both seemed to want the New York spotlight. Both came in with similar hype and how they handle/d it. How even though they are rookies they feel like they belong in the Big Show. Secure in that, c-cky even, like they were born for this. Both have supportive parents that were instrumental in raising them to reach their goals. Both seem to respect the game, the history, and want to learn from previous greats. Both seemed polished in front of the media. Apparently RJ seems to be a fierce competitor too. Both seem to want to be their best, The Best, personally, but its all about the team, winning.

That is his best quality. This kid is a grinder and a fighter.
What you say is very true. Derek Jeter had this quality and it was this very quality that leads to plays like the "Flip Play" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApoJk9X7Vto Just going All Out for the W. That is what champions are made of. If RJ Barrett has this and backs it up with hard work then I think we got a very special talent that could lead the team for years. Don't forget. Kobe came into the league on Shaqs team. They stared winning right away so Kobe's talents and drive were evident right away. But RJ Barrett reminds me of good people. Who else does he remind you of?
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

2/15/2020  11:14 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2020  11:18 AM
smackeddog wrote:Agree, we need a shooter at SG. Plus most PG options in the draft aren’t great 3pt shooters, so don’t think them and RJ in the backcourt would be great

Every time i watch SGA play (like the rookie star game last night) all i can think about is that we drafted K.Knox over him. We'd legit be set for the next 10-13 years if we just drafted SGA who i was actually one of the very few that wanted us to draft.

There are some PG's in this draft that can shoot though like N.Mannion, T.Haliburton, K.Hayes and a few that are pretty good shooters but with work will get better like C.Anthony and RJ Hampton. I'm wondering if we could find a cheap trade for us to get back into the late part of the lottery or even just outside it, since many think this is a weak class, so we can draft Obi Toppin or Deni Avdija with our top pick and then get one of the PG's with the trade up.

newyorker4ever

2/15/2020  11:24 AM

But you have to think about his defense at SG as well and the SG's he guards blow by him pretty much with ease. If he could shoot then maybe i could be better with him at SG but i want a team that plays both ends of the floor like Miami does and RJ would be a better SF IMO and then just add a true SG that can shoot at SG.

newyorker4ever

2/15/2020  11:26 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:
martin wrote:

Same.

+1

I see no reason why he can't impact the game like Joe Johnson

So you don't see how he can't impact the game like one of the better shooters the game has had at SG in J.Johnson? That's a horrible player to use as a comparison since Joe was a great shooter and RJ is really really bad.

Ira
Member: #91
2/15/2020  11:46 AM
He's a wing. He can play 2 or 3. What we need is another player at one of those positions who can shoot. RJ can play the other.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/15/2020  1:23 PM
he's a slasher not a shooter. That's his game (so far). That doesn't make him a SF anymore than a good jumper makes Brook Lopez a shooting guard. If RJ doesn't become a better shoot then to maximize his talent he will need to be surrounded with guys who can space the floor but that's the league period right so that's true for RJ and everyone else not shooting 40% from downtown
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/15/2020  1:41 PM
Gotta tighten up his handle as well as his shooting. The position he lines up at all is determined by what he can guard. If he could successfully guard PFs then there could be times he would line up there. But all in all would like better shooting handling playmaking at both guard spots so if that pushes Barrett to SF due to the talent added then so be it. If Knicks add better shooting forwards worthy of starting. Which pushes Barrett to line up more at SG . Then the could work as well. But Barrett still would need to clean those things up.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/15/2020  4:37 PM
He's literally Danny Granger
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
RJ Barrett is a SF not a SG..

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy