[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
11/19/2020  11:57 AM
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/11/19/nba-draft-new-york-knicks-trades

Mystery solved (partially): the Knicks wanted a player that ended up being taken by the Hornets just a pick earlier. They didn’t fancy anyone else so they made the quick move with LAC.

While if that’s the case, that’s a little shortsighted by NY with talent still available and with a valuable second rounder considering its #33. But it shows two nice things: the Knicks had a clear idea of who they wanted and weren’t messing around, and the Knicks had ease making deals with teams. I mean, getting the 23 for the 27 and 38, only to then not needing the 23 and turning it into the 25 and 33 and then getting the future pick for the 33, that’s activity we aren’t used to in NY.

Definitely a wild end to a wild night, but a promising first showing for the new front office.

Knicks_Fan
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/19/2020  12:59 PM
Knicksfan wrote:https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/11/19/nba-draft-new-york-knicks-trades

Mystery solved (partially): the Knicks wanted a player that ended up being taken by the Hornets just a pick earlier. They didn’t fancy anyone else so they made the quick move with LAC.

While if that’s the case, that’s a little shortsighted by NY with talent still available and with a valuable second rounder considering its #33. But it shows two nice things: the Knicks had a clear idea of who they wanted and weren’t messing around, and the Knicks had ease making deals with teams. I mean, getting the 23 for the 27 and 38, only to then not needing the 23 and turning it into the 25 and 33 and then getting the future pick for the 33, that’s activity we aren’t used to in NY.

Definitely a wild end to a wild night, but a promising first showing for the new front office.

Give them credit for having a plan, making moves, and coming up with a contingency.

That said, I definitely think they undervalued 33/Oturu when all was said and done.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/19/2020  2:32 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:
Knicksfan wrote:https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/11/19/nba-draft-new-york-knicks-trades

Give them credit for having a plan, making moves, and coming up with a contingency.

That said, I definitely think they undervalued 33/Oturu when all was said and done.

Can't say "definitely". They wanted the Carey kid from Duke and made their move. They got the guy they wanted in quickly and deferred a second rounder to the future. Big woo. 2nd round picks rarely amount to much. Knicks want the roster spot or don't see this kid they took as gleague fodder either.
Knicksfan
USA
11/19/2020  4:13 PM
Nalod wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

Can't say "definitely". They wanted the Carey kid from Duke and made their move. They got the guy they wanted in quickly and deferred a second rounder to the future. Big woo. 2nd round picks rarely amount to much. Knicks want the roster spot or don't see this kid they took as gleague fodder either.

Which, again, shows how the Knicks, under Rose, seem like a tightly run machine that sets up a plan and either goes for it or simply moves on. Sounds obvious that it is an efficient way to run a team, which is why is so weird that it’s how NY is running right now.

Doesn’t seem to be much room for improvisation. They set a plan, maybe have a backup, and move there. Even seems like yesterday’s plan was this:

Use #8 and #23 to get to the top 5 to get Obi. Once they got him, they wanted Maxey at 23. He is gone? Get 25 and 33 to get Quickley and Carey. Carey is gone? Trade the pick for 2023 when they like the kids coming out.

The way they made deals for picks was strong for a NY front office.

I’m still suspicious on this CAA brotherhood, but the front office definitely made a mark last night and made me more intrigued about their next steps, which will come soon as this offseason is a blink of an eye.

Knicks_Fan
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/19/2020  6:54 PM
Knicksfan wrote:
Nalod wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

Which, again, shows how the Knicks, under Rose, seem like a tightly run machine that sets up a plan and either goes for it or simply moves on. Sounds obvious that it is an efficient way to run a team, which is why is so weird that it’s how NY is running right now.

Doesn’t seem to be much room for improvisation. They set a plan, maybe have a backup, and move there. Even seems like yesterday’s plan was this:

Use #8 and #23 to get to the top 5 to get Obi. Once they got him, they wanted Maxey at 23. He is gone? Get 25 and 33 to get Quickley and Carey. Carey is gone? Trade the pick for 2023 when they like the kids coming out.

The way they made deals for picks was strong for a NY front office.

I’m still suspicious on this CAA brotherhood, but the front office definitely made a mark last night and made me more intrigued about their next steps, which will come soon as this offseason is a blink of an eye.

Couldn't agree more. Its refreshing to finally have a front office with a solid plan and an eye on the immediate and distant future. Didnt know anything about the double draft in 2023 and this regime is already loading up draft picks for that year. Past regimes showed no such foresight.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

11/20/2020  8:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2020  8:23 AM
Late round moves explained. Seems like they were targeting Carey Jr.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/extra-mustard/2020/11/19/nba-draft-new-york-knicks-trades

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CleaverGreene
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8756

11/20/2020  3:01 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Late round moves explained. Seems like they were targeting Carey Jr.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/extra-mustard/2020/11/19/nba-draft-new-york-knicks-trades

I really liked the Oturu video and things I read about him, though, but I assume the Knicks had already planned the deal if Carey Jr. wasn't there.

Oturu has a good wingspan, better offensive post skills and distance on his J than Mitch, and he seems to be a good learner.

Me...I would have drafted and kept him, despite getting one of those magical 2013 picks.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
Knicksfan
USA
11/20/2020  7:29 PM
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/timberwolves-acquire-bolmaro-from-knicks-for-two-picks.html?fv-home=true&post-id=183726

This, at least to me, gets more confusing. According to this, now the move with the TWolves for pick 23 is the rights to Quickley, Piston’s 2023 second rounder and another player’s rights. But didn’t we get the Piston’s pick for #33?

There is someone reporting something wrong here?

Knicks_Fan
Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy