[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
2/19/2020  3:33 AM

Ha, that off the ball movement at the 5min mark

AUTOADVERT
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

2/19/2020  9:44 AM
Killian Hayes with 18 pts and 6 ast. 5-5 FT. 6-13 FG. 1-5 3PT. His 3 ball has been hurting recently despite being perfect from line..
The Future is Bright!
TPercy

2/19/2020  9:52 AM

Highlights from 20pt 10 ast game...Watching this im impressed but look at the high level execution he's playing with in Germany. How well would he fit in an NBA team. That step back 3 was lethal tho.

The Future is Bright!
TPercy

2/19/2020  9:53 AM
smackeddog wrote:

See his combination of feel, handle, and passing is unprecedented. I don't even care about his shot selection, its just his g'damn shot. Fix that and you draft him no brainer.

The Future is Bright!
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/19/2020  10:19 AM
smackeddog wrote:

He made Melo Anthony look like JJ Reddick in that clip

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
2/19/2020  3:32 PM
How do the PGs in the draft compare to Van Fleet?
Chandler
Member: #6197

2/20/2020  2:35 PM
for those of you who follow college ball closely, what do you think of Quickley. High marks for a great name if nothing else. Is he NBA material?
(5)(5)
TPercy

2/20/2020  10:16 PM
smackeddog wrote:How do the PGs in the draft compare to Van Fleet?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/fred-van-vleet-1.html

Stats weren't all that in College which is crazy. career 12pt scorer in **** conference.

Style wise i'd say the closest is Maxey. Both like midrange pull up and have good floater games and I think Maxey will eventually become a very serious threat from 3 like Van Fleet. Both also undersized but very good defenders for their position. I'd say that Fred is the better passer tho, can make better reads.

The Future is Bright!
smackeddog
2/21/2020  3:23 AM
TPercy wrote:
smackeddog wrote:How do the PGs in the draft compare to Van Fleet?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/fred-van-vleet-1.html

Stats weren't all that in College which is crazy. career 12pt scorer in **** conference.

Style wise i'd say the closest is Maxey. Both like midrange pull up and have good floater games and I think Maxey will eventually become a very serious threat from 3 like Van Fleet. Both also undersized but very good defenders for their position. I'd say that Fred is the better passer tho, can make better reads.

Thanks!

smackeddog
2/21/2020  3:51 AM
Warriors are already on $142mil payroll for next season (for just 11 players), if they land the 1st pick that's another $8.5mil. If they wanted to use the mid level then that's another $6mil. That move to take on Wiggins was crazy. Seems likely they'd move the pick, but I wonder what for- future pick, later pick in this years draft, or player now?
smackeddog
2/22/2020  11:25 AM
In case we decide not to go for a pg in the draft:

1. Fred VanVleet - Unrestricted - Toronto Raptors:

VanVleet was a crucial contributor in the Raptors run to a ring during the 2019 postseason, averaging 14.9 points on 49% shooting over Toronto's final eight playoff games. He's continued his astonishing upward trajectory this season, his first as a full-time starter. Through 45 games in 2019-20, VanVleet is averaging 18.0 points, 6.8 assists, 3.7 rebounds and 1.9 steals. He's one of only six players in the NBA this season averaging at least 18 points and more than 6.5 dimes and 2.5 made triples. The other five are James Harden, Damian Lillard, Luka Doncic, Kyle Lowry and Trae Young. The Raptors would obviously like to re-sign VanVleet, but they will have plenty of competition for the premier point guard on the open market. FVV could very well command a contract worth north of $100 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/02/21/2020-nba-free-agency-preview-ranking-the-top-point-guards-from-fred-vanvleet-to-kris-dunn/#4c6742e17604

Other options are pretty bad, unless you take on an overpaid stop gap like Conley

smackeddog
2/22/2020  6:28 PM
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/23/2020  10:36 PM
smackeddog wrote:In case we decide not to go for a pg in the draft:

VanVleet was a crucial contributor in the Raptors run to a ring during the 2019 postseason, averaging 14.9 points on 49% shooting over Toronto's final eight playoff games. He's continued his astonishing upward trajectory this season, his first as a full-time starter. Through 45 games in 2019-20, VanVleet is averaging 18.0 points, 6.8 assists, 3.7 rebounds and 1.9 steals. He's one of only six players in the NBA this season averaging at least 18 points and more than 6.5 dimes and 2.5 made triples. The other five are James Harden, Damian Lillard, Luka Doncic, Kyle Lowry and Trae Young. The Raptors would obviously like to re-sign VanVleet, but they will have plenty of competition for the premier point guard on the open market. FVV could very well command a contract worth north of $100 million.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/02/21/2020-nba-free-agency-preview-ranking-the-top-point-guards-from-fred-vanvleet-to-kris-dunn/#4c6742e17604

Other options are pretty bad, unless you take on an overpaid stop gap like Conley

I've been one to lobby for Fred VanVleet, to max him out.

I did not realize he would be getting a contract worth $100M! I guess I'd rather that than similar but shorter big money to a player like Dragic at 34.

Maybe Chris Paul and his $80M for 2 years isn't so bad?

smackeddog
2/24/2020  4:40 AM
franco12 wrote:

I did not realize he would be getting a contract worth $100M! I guess I'd rather that than similar but shorter big money to a player like Dragic at 34.

I'm not sure about him, but I'd feel better about drafting Haliburton (play him SG) if we were signing VanVleet (why have I thought it was Van Fleet all this time?!). Also signing VanVleet allows you to take a good look at Okoro and Okongwu with our first rounder.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/24/2020  9:09 AM
smackeddog wrote:
franco12 wrote:

I'm not sure about him, but I'd feel better about drafting Haliburton (play him SG) if we were signing VanVleet (why have I thought it was Van Fleet all this time?!). Also signing VanVleet allows you to take a good look at Okoro and Okongwu with our first rounder.

I guess the only reason not to max VanVleet this summer is you want to keep cap room for 2021 and perhaps taking a run at Giannis Antetokounmpo. But it seems like we could add both- of course, the assumption is getting any of them to sign, otherwise we simply end up with Taj Gibson and Bobby Portis again.

Even if I knew we'd be adding VanVleet, I still take BPA available in the draft, even if it is a PG.

TPercy

2/24/2020  9:34 AM
smackeddog wrote:Warriors are already on $142mil payroll for next season (for just 11 players), if they land the 1st pick that's another $8.5mil. If they wanted to use the mid level then that's another $6mil. That move to take on Wiggins was crazy. Seems likely they'd move the pick, but I wonder what for- future pick, later pick in this years draft, or player now?

What if they didn't use the exception?
The Future is Bright!
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/24/2020  11:41 AM
smackeddog wrote:I think the Twolves will target Tyrese Haliburton, would be a nice fit next to D-lo. His tankathon sheet is ridiculous (compare it to all the other pg options)

http://www.tankathon.com/players/tyrese-haliburton

Think Wolves will take a PF. Either Tobin or Okongwu. To me Haliburton is stiff and does not show any ability to be able to separate at the NBA level. Feel this years draft is looking like Lamelo, Wiseman, and Edwards are the only true lottery picks. Unfortunately for us, they will be going top 3.

Not a fan of Cole Anthony, Hayes, Hampton in terms of PG's. Cole does not have the size or NBA quickness.
Like Okongwu but do not think he will fall to us at 5 or 6. Like Okangu's motor and strength. Good back up for Randle and can be a piece to build on. But again, think he will be gone.

Feel it may be a good year to trade down or use pick as an asset to get a solid young NBA player.
If we trade down, like the kid from Nova, Bey. Has an NBA body and can shoot. May not be a bad idea to think about another SF in case Knox does not pan out. Like Maledon as a low 1st round PG pick. Has upside, 19 and athletic.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/24/2020  11:43 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I think the Twolves will target Tyrese Haliburton, would be a nice fit next to D-lo. His tankathon sheet is ridiculous (compare it to all the other pg options)

Think Wolves will take a PF. Either Tobin or Okongwu. To me Haliburton is stiff and does not show any ability to be able to separate at the NBA level. Feel this years draft is looking like Lamelo, Wiseman, and Edwards are the only true lottery picks. Unfortunately for us, they will be going top 3.

Not a fan of Cole Anthony, Hayes, Hampton in terms of PG's. Cole does not have the size or NBA quickness.
Like Okongwu but do not think he will fall to us at 5 or 6. Like Okangu's motor and strength. Good back up for Randle and can be a piece to build on. But again, think he will be gone.

Feel it may be a good year to trade down or use pick as an asset to get a solid young NBA player.
If we trade down, like the kid from Nova, Bey. Has an NBA body and can shoot. May not be a bad idea to think about another SF in case Knox does not pan out. Like Maledon as a low 1st round PG pick. Has upside, 19 and athletic.

He is 6' or 6'1" and seems like he has all the burst needed.

It's his shooting that throws me off

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/24/2020  12:32 PM
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

He is 6' or 6'1" and seems like he has all the burst needed.

It's his shooting that throws me off

He is actually 6'2". Point is, even at 6'2", he has not shown the elite quickness or athletic ability to finish at the NBA level. Do not feel he deserves to be a top 5 pick. Don't even think he is a top 10 pick. And as you pointed out he also lacks the outside shooting needed to elevate him to such a high pick. Specially, if you look at where the NBA is headed and recent PG selections that are doing well in the NBA that don't have elite quickness. Brogdon 6'5, Dinwiddie 6'5, Lonzo 6'6, Simmons 6'10. To compare, guys that are 6'2 or shorter need to have Westbrook, Ja, Lillard, Young, Lowery, Paul, Sexton, Donovan type quickness and shooting ability. The NBA is also headed to combo PG's. Can't say you can make an argument for Cole being a Combo guard.

Think he will be a big miss at the 5 or 6. Rather not force having to pick a PG and instead go with best available. Like I said, if that is who we are targeting at the 5 or 6. time to trade the pick or trade down. IMO

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
smackeddog
2/24/2020  1:19 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

What do you make of Okoro? Seems to have shot up the mock drafts lately

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy