[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
wargames
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6053

7/5/2020  8:27 PM
Honestly one of Lamelo, Haliburton, or Hayes and I am ok. I think that is who they are targeting. All three have All star potential but are flawed.

Knicks have been reported as interviewing Hayes and Haliburton and we know Lamelo will get his interview. Possoibly after the draft when we know if we are even in range for him.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/6/2020  10:20 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/6/2020  10:27 PM
martin wrote:

I see the Hedu/Detlef comparisons. I think Deni fills out and becomes a 4 eventually, but he has skills to play all over the court offensively.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/6/2020  10:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/6/2020  10:47 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

I see the Hedu/Detlef comparisons. I think Deni fills out and becomes a 4 eventually, but he has skills to play all over the court offensively.

He looks good on tape but I am curious about the competition level of the Israeli professional league. I might be a little more excited if he was playing this well in the Euro League. Tough to tell....

With that said, he is very skilled. Like that he can snatch a rebound and lead the fastbreak...

BigDaddyG

7/6/2020  11:07 PM
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:

A

He looks good on tape but I am curious about the competition level of the Israeli professional league. I might be a little more excited if he was playing this well in the Euro League. Tough to tell....

With that said, he is very skilled. Like that he can snatch a rebound and lead the fastbreak...

Israeli league is known to be tough and physical. Still, you can say that about conferences like the Big 10. Doesn't always translate to the next level. That said, I'm pretty confident this kid can contribute on the next level.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
USA
7/7/2020  10:38 AM
Is Deni what we all hoped Knox could/should have been?
wargames
Member: #6053

7/7/2020  5:55 PM
martin wrote:Is Deni what we all hoped Knox could/should have been?

No I think the belief is Knox would be a great scorer. He still could be.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
NotInMyHouse
Member: #6433

7/8/2020  1:09 PM
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:Is Deni what we all hoped Knox could/should have been?

No I think the belief is Knox would be a great scorer. He still could be.

Knox doesn't seem like the smartest player but is not exactly a black hole either. His shot still looks great though. Hope he comes around.

I'm not sure how Deni's offense (which is great) will translate because of the athleticism in the NBA. He will have problems creating separation from longer/quicker players in the NBA. (And that could hurt his finishing as well.) He is the type of guy you want on your team though. I really do like the guy.

He plays great defense but his wingspan is the same as his height and he is not very athletic. Will his D translate? I think at least he won't be a liability so if he can get his shot off, then you have to look at the kid. Big if though.

I do really like him as an overall talent and wouldn't be upset if we took him.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
shinmen
Member: #6029
France
7/9/2020  5:47 AM
This draft is considered quite poor talent wise. We have drafted multiple raw players (Frank, Mitchell, Knox, even Barret is very young) the last few years.
Maybe once in a while, we ought to take a known commodity like Haliburton or a player who fit the team like Nesmith even if their perceived ceilings are not that high.
There is no need to swing for the fences every draft. Sometimes, we can draft players that could help our propects blossom.
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/9/2020  1:13 PM

Nice! I would be fine drafting Deni, Okongwu, or the best of Nesmith/Vassel/Bey, if I knew we could also move up wit the 2nd pick and land Kira

smackeddog
7/9/2020  1:25 PM
Speaking of which, how would you rank these 3 SF's:

Saddiq Bey

Aaron Nesmith

Devin Vassell

Uptown

7/9/2020  3:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/10/2020  2:04 AM
smackeddog wrote:Speaking of which, how would you rank these 3 SF's:

Saddiq Bey

Aaron Nesmith

Devin Vassell

1. Vassell
2. Nesmith
2A. Bey

All three are prolific shooters but Vassell is the best of this bunch because he is effective on both sides of the ball. Vassell has the ability to be an all NBA defensive player with some years of seasoning and s little more bulk to his frame. But right now, he disrupts the passing lanes, can guard one on one and is a good rebounder for his size.

Nesmith is probably the purest shooter of the draft, not only standing still but on the move and coming off screens. Bey is a really good shooter too, but he seems to be more of a spot up shooter.

I see some mocks have Bey being available when we pick at the end of the draft which is crazy. No way will Bey be available that late. On underrated aspect of Bey is the fact that he played 2 years for Jay Wright one of the best teachers of basketball in the NCAA. His players are well schooled when they enter the NBA. Wright teaches the jump stop, playing off two feet, pivoting, and step-throughs. All of his guards are very fundamentally sound. Lowry, Hart, Bridges, DivinCinzo, etc.

Would love to move up and try to grab Bey with our 2nd pick.

smackeddog
7/9/2020  3:26 PM
Uptown wrote:

Saddiq Bey

Aaron Nesmith

Devin Vassell

1. Vassell
2. Nesmith
3. Bey

All three are prolific shooters but Vassell is the best of this bunch because he is effective on both sides of the ball. Vassell has the ability to be an all NBA defensive player with some years of seasoning and s little more bulk to his frame. But right now, he disrupts the passing lanes, can guard one on one and is a good rebounder for his size.

Nesmith is probably the purest shooter of the draft, not only standing still but on the move and coming off screens. Bey is a really good shooter too, but he seems to be more of a spot up shooter.

I see some mocks have Bey being available when we pick at the end of the draft which is crazy. No way will Bey be available that late. On underrated aspect of Bey is the fact that he played 2 years for Jay Wright one of the best teachers of basketball in the NCAA. His players are well schooled when they enter the NBA. Wright teaches the jump stop, playing off two feet, pivoting, and step-throughs. All of his guards are very fundamentally sound. Lowry, Hart, Bridges, DivinCinzo, etc.

Thanks! Mocks seem unable to reach a consensus on these three- I saw Bey listed at 8 on one of them!

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/9/2020  9:42 PM
I think we still need to pick the best player available regardless of position.... I’m really intrigued by bay....he seems to be a possible star 3/4 he really has a lot of polished skills that will translate well in the nba a 45% 3 point shooter, great defense instincts, can switch, transition monster. This year is a wildcard because we didn’t have the tournament so a potential number one pick could slip far. Imagine if last year ja Morant didn’t get the tournament, he’d be a Knick.

I’m also really intrigued by franks development at the end of the year he seemed to be really coming into his own not only on defense he was trusting his size and length to over power his smaller defenders being more aggressive getting into the paint(big!)and hitting his open looks.

Frank,DSJr
Barrett,dot
Bay, Knox
Randle,?
Mitch, Portis?

Also to have pick 25? Is huge we we can potentially jump start our rebuild. Let’s pick the best talent regardless of position.

Knickfury11
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
7/10/2020  8:55 AM
Uptown wrote:

Saddiq Bey

Aaron Nesmith

Devin Vassell

1. Vassell
2. Nesmith
2A. Bey

Would take any of the above over Deni any day. I don’t get why people think he can defend at the NBA level!?!

Vassell most complete game. But Nesmith would be awesome, in the Allan Houston mould. Another comparison would be Booker with that shooting ability. Definitely view him as a 2 in the NBA.

I just want value for our picks, not squandered on the “next big thing” out of Europe.

Uptown

7/10/2020  9:04 AM
smackeddog wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Saddiq Bey

Aaron Nesmith

Devin Vassell

1. Vassell
2. Nesmith
3. Bey

Thanks! Mocks seem unable to reach a consensus on these three- I saw Bey listed at 8 on one of them!

It's very close between Nesmith and Bey. Honestly, Nesmith getting hurt may have helped his draft stock. He shot 52% from 3 against non conference schools ang got hurt just before the SEC conference games.

Nesmith is the better shooter on the move but you can argue that Bey is just as good if not better in most other areas. Eventhough Nesmith will most likely get drafted first, I think I may prefer Bey on the Knicks because of his size and the fact that he was schooled by Jay Wright for 2 yrs...

BigDaddyG

7/10/2020  9:39 AM
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Saddiq Bey

Aaron Nesmith

Devin Vassell

1. Vassell
2. Nesmith
3. Bey

It's very close between Nesmith and Bey. Honestly, Nesmith getting hurt may have helped his draft stock. He shot 52% from 3 against non conference schools ang got hurt just before the SEC conference games.

Nesmith is the better shooter on the move but you can argue that Bey is just as good if not better in most other areas. Eventhough Nesmith will most likely get drafted first, I think I may prefer Bey on the Knicks because of his size and the fact that he was schooled by Jay Wright for 2 yrs...

I think I might lean toward Bey too. Nesmith is the better shooter, but his athleticism and size might lose limitations. He's not as smooth with the ball as someone like Booker and he doesn't have the size that Klay does.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/10/2020  9:49 AM

Honest question: Has Rose or anyone else recently said what they think the team identity should be going forward. I think that goes a long way toward determining what BPA is. BPA needs a context to assess "best"

For example, and not trying to agitate, but even Phil would say he wanted two-way, smart players and wasn't focused on athleticism as prime trait.

If we're shifting focus, we should not only draft to the "new" focus, but consider whether our existing pieces still fit that focus. Otherwise i think we'll just repeat the mistakes of awkward combinations of players and no real team

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG

7/10/2020  10:08 AM
Chandler wrote:
Honest question: Has Rose or anyone else recently said what they think the team identity should be going forward. I think that goes a long way toward determining what BPA is. BPA needs a context to assess "best"

For example, and not trying to agitate, but even Phil would say he wanted two-way, smart players and wasn't focused on athleticism as prime trait.

If we're shifting focus, we should not only draft to the "new" focus, but consider whether our existing pieces still fit that focus. Otherwise i think we'll just repeat the mistakes of awkward combinations of players and no real team

I see what you mean, but we are talent starved. We need assets. Ideally, needs would be targeted through free agency or even the second round. You want to avoid situations like Portland, where you decline to draft Jordan because he didn't fit a need. Or imagine if Philly passed on Embiid because they already had Noel.
martin
USA
7/10/2020  10:24 AM
Chandler wrote:

Chicken and egg. Do you start with an identity and then get the players for it or do you look at your talent and then forge an identity? If you newly hire MDA and have a young Nash as your PG, you should have that identity and build it. If you are bereft of talent and have a new coach, you let the talent simmer and build an identity from there.

Gotta guess that Rose and team have an inkling of what type of team they would aspire to build but you don't go out an announce it. You build, you trade, you sign players and the identity will come out

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy