[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/22/2020  2:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2020  2:17 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

Definitely looks better than some of the older videos. Hope he improves his FT shooting, thats the main red flag for me

Gotta keep in mind that he's playing against seasoned pros in some of those videos. Here he is playing against in his generational grouping and he looks dominant. His J still looks kinda funny, but I have no doubt Deni is a stud.

If Ball, Wiseman and Edwards are off the board when we pick, but Deni is available...we may need to take a long look at him. I know we are in need of a pg, but we also need talent! Still feel like I need to do more research on Deni though. I go back and forth on him.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
6/22/2020  3:32 PM

Uptown

6/23/2020  9:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/23/2020  9:38 AM
Devin Vassell is a late lotto pick that I really like...He would be our starting SF right now! I saw this kid play live, 2 years ago when he played for Peachtree ridge HS. Devin has improved his shot and handle since I saw him which shows that he is working on his game and is willing to put in the work. He reminds me a bit of Trevor Ariza. An athletic 3 & D wing. Leonard Hamilton @ Florida State is a tremendous defensive coach so you know Vassell was schooled very well on that side of the ball. If we land outside of the top 3, we should strongly consider drafting him if available.
Knickfury11
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
6/23/2020  2:52 PM
Uptown wrote:Devin Vassell is a late lotto pick that I really like...He would be our starting SF right now! I saw this kid play live, 2 years ago when he played for Peachtree ridge HS. Devin has improved his shot and handle since I saw him which shows that he is working on his game and is willing to put in the work. He reminds me a bit of Trevor Ariza. An athletic 3 & D wing. Leonard Hamilton @ Florida State is a tremendous defensive coach so you know Vassell was schooled very well on that side of the ball. If we land outside of the top 3, we should strongly consider drafting him if available.

Yeah I agree the more I see of Vassell the more I like. Also very high on Aaron Nesmith @ Vanderbilt.
In fact I draft both Vassell and Nesmith before Deni. I seen a lot of Deni’s games I just don’t see it transferring to the NBA?

Uptown

6/23/2020  3:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2020  7:57 PM
Knickfury11 wrote:
Uptown wrote:Devin Vassell is a late lotto pick that I really like...He would be our starting SF right now! I saw this kid play live, 2 years ago when he played for Peachtree ridge HS. Devin has improved his shot and handle since I saw him which shows that he is working on his game and is willing to put in the work. He reminds me a bit of Trevor Ariza. An athletic 3 & D wing. Leonard Hamilton @ Florida State is a tremendous defensive coach so you know Vassell was schooled very well on that side of the ball. If we land outside of the top 3, we should strongly consider drafting him if available.

Yeah I agree the more I see of Vassell the more I like. Also very high on Aaron Nesmith @ Vanderbilt.
In fact I draft both Vassell and Nesmith before Deni. I seen a lot of Deni’s games I just don’t see it transferring to the NBA?

I've been pouring over Deni vids the last 2 days and the more I watch the more doubts I have. I like Deni's skill set but he is an inconsistent shooter and may be a liability on the defensive end.

We need players that can impact the game on both sides of the ball. As of right now, if we land outside of the top 5 my top 2 choices would be Vassell and Haliburton.

Uptown

6/26/2020  11:56 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2020  3:29 PM
If we don't draft a pg with our lotto pick and take a wing or a big; if Tyrell Terry is available with our 2nd pick in the 1st rd, I would strongly consider taking him. Has a little Trae Young in his game. Not as good as Young of course, but he's a lights out shooter with play-making potential...

Knickfury11
United Kingdom
6/27/2020  9:47 AM
Uptown wrote:If we don't draft a pg with our lotto pick and take a wing or a big; if Tyrell Terry is available with our 2nd pick in the 1st rd, I would strongly consider taking him. Has a little Trae Young in his game. Not as good as Young of course, but he's a lights out shooter with play-making potential...

Yeah definitely worth a peep if fate plays out that way. My concerns with Terry being, small stature ( ala trae young ) defensively meh, ball handling & playmaking not elite. But that jumper looks wet.

Uptown

6/27/2020  7:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/27/2020  7:21 PM
Knickfury11 wrote:
Uptown wrote:If we don't draft a pg with our lotto pick and take a wing or a big; if Tyrell Terry is available with our 2nd pick in the 1st rd, I would strongly consider taking him. Has a little Trae Young in his game. Not as good as Young of course, but he's a lights out shooter with play-making potential...

Yeah definitely worth a peep if fate plays out that way. My concerns with Terry being, small stature ( ala trae young ) defensively meh, ball handling & playmaking not elite. But that jumper looks wet.

Keep in mind, most of these kids are 18 and 19 yrs old so there is room for improvement. Ultimately, when you are drafting these young players, you have to look at their potential and what they can turn into as opposed to where they are right now. He's a lights out shooter which is at a premium in todays league so he already has a leg up. Theres plenty of room to improve his handle. And film work can improve his ability to make reads which isn't bad as is.

With the right coaching staff and environment, he can be developed into a pretty good player. With the said, his size is a concern which is why a great shooter like him may be available late in the 1st or in the 2nd round. I see a Seth Curry like player with a better handle and playmaking ability

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/29/2020  6:51 AM
Uptown wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:

Keep in mind, most of these kids are 18 and 19 yrs old so there is room for improvement. Ultimately, when you are drafting these young players, you have to look at their potential and what they can turn into as opposed to where they are right now. He's a lights out shooter which is at a premium in todays league so he already has a leg up. Theres plenty of room to improve his handle. And film work can improve his ability to make reads which isn't bad as is.

With the right coaching staff and environment, he can be developed into a pretty good player. With the said, his size is a concern which is why a great shooter like him may be available late in the 1st or in the 2nd round. I see a Seth Curry like player with a better handle and playmaking ability

https://heatcheckcbb.com/2020/06/16/nba-draft-rumors-vassell-may-land-in-top-5-terrys-broken-record-and-more/

Tyrell Terry’s broken record
Stanford point guard Tyrell Terry is a borderline first-round draft pick and hasn’t yet made an official decision as to whether he will remain in the draft or return to school.

He is really helping himself through the pre-draft process by displaying his smarts (typical for a Stanford kid, right?). According to USA Today’s Bryan Kalbrosky, Terry “‘broke a record‘ for a basketball IQ test administered by several NBA front offices.”

Despite a lack of ideal size (6-1, 160 lbs.) some scouts are high on Terry because of his shooting (40.8 percent from three) along with that high basketball IQ. Kalbrosky has him going No. 16 overall to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knickfury11
United Kingdom
6/29/2020  8:57 AM
Uptown wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:

Uptown - absolutely players that have a natural release like that should be valued at a true premium. Other areas can be developed over time like you say 19yrs kid. His outside shooting alone would greatly improve our offence.

Can you imagine having Nesmith and Terry as additions to our roster and what it would do for Mitch and RJ alone? Dreamland I know...

Would be ecstatic with Nesmith / Vassell / Edwards / Wiseman. Just hoping FO don’t get suckered aboard the Deni express! An average NBA wing will blow pass him on D and leave him like road kill.

Uptown

6/29/2020  12:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2020  12:13 PM
Another PG prospect that will be available with our 27th pick and possibly our 2nd round pick. Very good shooter but there are questions about his play making ability. Keep in mind, he played along side two other lead guards ( Hagans and Maxey).

Uptown

6/29/2020  8:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2020  8:03 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:

https://heatcheckcbb.com/2020/06/16/nba-draft-rumors-vassell-may-land-in-top-5-terrys-broken-record-and-more/

Stanford point guard Tyrell Terry is a borderline first-round draft pick and hasn’t yet made an official decision as to whether he will remain in the draft or return to school.

He is really helping himself through the pre-draft process by displaying his smarts (typical for a Stanford kid, right?). According to USA Today’s Bryan Kalbrosky, Terry “‘broke a record‘ for a basketball IQ test administered by several NBA front offices.”

Despite a lack of ideal size (6-1, 160 lbs.) some scouts are high on Terry because of his shooting (40.8 percent from three) along with that high basketball IQ. Kalbrosky has him going No. 16 overall to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Wow @ the IQ test! Even more reason to consider him...you can never have enough high IQ guys who really have a deep understanding of ow to play the game.

With that said, this new revelation may have him climbing draft boards. It's a good chance he may mo longer be available with our 2nd pick...

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/29/2020  11:53 PM
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:

Wow @ the IQ test! Even more reason to consider him...you can never have enough high IQ guys who really have a deep understanding of ow to play the game.

With that said, this new revelation may have him climbing draft boards. It's a good chance he may mo longer be available with our 2nd pick...

I like Terry too, but I always take these pre-draft tests with a grain of salt.

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?page=espnmag/bargnani

For years, NBA teams have used the Caliper Profile to evaluate potential draft picks. The Caliper is a personality profile used by numerous corporations and organizations to measure one's capacity to excel in specific situations. Over the past 24 years, Caliper has assessed more than 20,000 athletes, including NBA players from Detroit, San Antonio, Denver and Phoenix. Colangelo has long been sold on the system. When he heard how Bargnani measured up, he nearly dropped the phone.

"They said his upside and potential were off the charts," Colangelo says from the tunnel of the Air Canada Centre as Bargnani drains a three against the Cavaliers. "They said, 'Out of all the athletes we've profiled, we've never seen anything like this.' "

The test showed that Bargnani is virtually oblivious to what others think of him. And his tremendous ability to block out such potentially negative pressures enables him to focus completely on the task at hand. So the expectations and anxieties that come with being the No.1 pick, or the only Italian-born player in the league, or even taking a game-winning shot, don't even register with him.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

6/30/2020  12:42 AM
You guys can slow your roll on undersized, turnover prone, combo guard from Stanford. That spot is TAKEN!!
"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
Uptown

6/30/2020  10:46 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:

I like Terry too, but I always take these pre-draft tests with a grain of salt.

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?page=espnmag/bargnani

For years, NBA teams have used the Caliper Profile to evaluate potential draft picks. The Caliper is a personality profile used by numerous corporations and organizations to measure one's capacity to excel in specific situations. Over the past 24 years, Caliper has assessed more than 20,000 athletes, including NBA players from Detroit, San Antonio, Denver and Phoenix. Colangelo has long been sold on the system. When he heard how Bargnani measured up, he nearly dropped the phone.

"They said his upside and potential were off the charts," Colangelo says from the tunnel of the Air Canada Centre as Bargnani drains a three against the Cavaliers. "They said, 'Out of all the athletes we've profiled, we've never seen anything like this.' "

The test showed that Bargnani is virtually oblivious to what others think of him. And his tremendous ability to block out such potentially negative pressures enables him to focus completely on the task at hand. So the expectations and anxieties that come with being the No.1 pick, or the only Italian-born player in the league, or even taking a game-winning shot, don't even register with him.

Good point...I would love to see the type of questions asked on this test. Is there any bias? Does background play a role in how questions are interpreted or misinterpreted?

With that said, some GMs may emphasize these scores more than others...

Knickfury11
United Kingdom
7/2/2020  8:54 AM

Like the look of Mason Jones as a second round pick obviously depending on how things on top shape up. Looks to have nba range jumper and averaged 9.1 free throws per game. Guys that get to the line like that deserve a peak. Average defender. Thoughts?

Uptown

7/2/2020  12:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2020  1:15 PM
Knickfury11 wrote:

Like the look of Mason Jones as a second round pick obviously depending on how things on top shape up. Looks to have nba range jumper and averaged 9.1 free throws per game. Guys that get to the line like that deserve a peak. Average defender. Thoughts?

I was actually going to post a vid about him today LOL. I only saw him once this year, against Kentucky, and I was impressed by his poise and ability to get a good look from anywhere on the court. Dude is a walking bucket. I searched different mock drafts and was shocked to see that some predict that he wont even get drafted which is insane!

He's 6'5 which is great size for a lead guard. He can shoot it from 3, can run the pick n roll and can get a bucket in iso when the shot clock is running down. He's not super quick or athletic, but he is very crafty and shifty and always manages to got off a good look.

My two main concerns about him is his court vision and ability to make his teammates better as a facilitator. Also, I've heard he is not a very motivated defensive player. With that said, depending on what we do with our 1st round picks, if he's there with our 2nd round pick, he along with a few others I like should be under consideration!

Knickfury11
United Kingdom
7/2/2020  2:13 PM
Uptown wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:

I was actually going to post a vid about him today LOL. I only saw him once this year, against Kentucky, and I was impressed by his poise and ability to get a good look from anywhere on the court. Dude is a walking bucket. I searched different mock drafts and was shocked to see that some predict that he wont even get drafted which is insane!

He's 6'5 which is great size for a lead guard. He can shoot it from 3, can run the pick n roll and can get a bucket in iso when the shot clock is running down. He's not super quick or athletic, but he is very crafty and shifty and always manages to got off a good look.

My two main concerns about him is his court vision and ability to make his teammates better as a facilitator. Also, I've heard he is not a very motivated defensive player. With that said, depending on what we do with our 1st round picks, if he's there with our 2nd round pick, he along with a few others I like should be under consideration!

We speak the same language uptown! Totally on the money with your concerns.

Uptown

7/4/2020  10:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/4/2020  11:30 PM
Love watching this kid play....He needs to learn how to use picks and run the PNR game better....Also, tighten up his handle so he can beat his man one on one at times but this kid has lots of potential!

Knickfury11
United Kingdom
7/5/2020  7:47 AM
Uptown wrote:Love watching this kid play....He needs to learn how to use picks and run the PNR game better....Also, tighten up his handle so he can beat his man one on one at times but this kid has lots of potential!

Haliburton is my first choice PG in this draft. See him having the best all round game on both side of the ball. My biggest concern is that quirky looking jumper tho? Playmaking and defensively solid, lots of potential and decent size / length.

If we got Haliburton plus a decent outside shooting threat the “plus” impact would be awesome and help elevate the games of some of our core players ie Mitch,RJ.

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy