[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/24/2020  4:52 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Chandler wrote:want/need well rounded pg: IQ and shooting a must; defense mandatory

As far as each of those attributes, that's really only Haliburton in the draft, or VanVleet in free agency. Ball can't shoot, Cole Anthony doesn't really defend, Mannion can't defend, etc. Only Haliburton possesses all of those qualities.

Cole came in with rep of defender. No way to tell how much the knee hampered him. Unfortunately, we really never got the chance to see him progress as a playmaker. Starting with the St. John's game, Mannion started to get the rep of a game who shrinks under physicality. Halliburton's shot release....well lets say it's special. No idea how it'll impact to shoot under pressure. I feel fine saying it should hold up in spot up situations.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/24/2020  5:17 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Chandler wrote:want/need well rounded pg: IQ and shooting a must; defense mandatory

As far as each of those attributes, that's really only Haliburton in the draft, or VanVleet in free agency. Ball can't shoot, Cole Anthony doesn't really defend, Mannion can't defend, etc. Only Haliburton possesses all of those qualities.

Cole came in with rep of defender. No way to tell how much the knee hampered him. Unfortunately, we really never got the chance to see him progress as a playmaker. Starting with the St. John's game, Mannion started to get the rep of a game who shrinks under physicality. Halliburton's shot release....well lets say it's special. No idea how it'll impact to shoot under pressure. I feel fine saying it should hold up in spot up situations.

Cole's shooting numbers look poor as well. And relatively speaking - and I have no idea how to compare conferences and team make-up - Cole's usage is super high and his assists suck. TO numbers are more than assists.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG

1/24/2020  5:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/24/2020  5:43 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Cole's shooting numbers look poor as well. And relatively speaking - and I have no idea how to compare conferences and team make-up - Cole's usage is super high and his assists suck. TO numbers are more than assists.

True. But he was a freshman, playing hurt on a less than talented UNC team. And we haven't had a chance to see if he was capable of course correction. Unfortunately, it's out of sight out of mind. Same goes for Wiseman. He didn't really look that impressive before the suspension. It is what it is. Hopefully our FO is able to process this and we're not drafting someone based on their ability to beat another prospect one on one in a workout.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
USA
1/24/2020  6:10 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

True. But he was a freshman, playing hurt on a less than talented UNC team. And we haven't had a chance to see if he was capable of course correction. Unfortunately, it's out of sight out of mind. Same goes for Wiseman. He didn't really look that impressive before the suspension. It is what it is. Hopefully our FO is able to process this and we're not drafting someone based on their ability to beat another prospect one on one in a workout.

Cole is a freshman who is only a tad younger than Tyrese as a sophomore. Weird, guess he took an extra year in high school

BigDaddyG

1/24/2020  6:49 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Cole is a freshman who is only a tad younger than Tyrese as a sophomore. Weird, guess he took an extra year in high school

Naw, it's pretty common these days. Remember how Frank was still the youngest player in the league even though he was drafted along with a number of other underclassmen? It was because a lot of those guys reclassified. On the other end of the spectrum you have a guy like RJ who entered Duke earlier than his original listed class. This was supposed to be RJ's freshman year. I've read reports from a few scouts who are holding Cole's age against him.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/25/2020  12:50 PM
While I’m glad there is little hype about Barrett but his slow Summerleague start at least publically had reduced the hype and pressure. Knox was over hyped as per the norm.
Seems as if RJ rises to ever challenge in time. Even this season he has steadily improved.
We can focus on Frank and Knox but RJ and Mitch are good development stories. Not saying we have the special sauce recipe like Toronto but......
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/25/2020  1:06 PM
Picks are just lotto tickets. We need as many lotto tickets as possible. A lot of lotto tickets, once the numbers are drawn, are worth dick though... So just because we draft someone doesn't mean it's going to pan out. That's exactly why we need to get as many lotto tickets as possible. And then next year we'll sign another mercenary to take Morris's spot and hopefully get another pick for that guy too and keep repeating until we stop sucking
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
martin
USA
1/25/2020  1:23 PM
Nalod wrote:While I’m glad there is little hype about Barrett but his slow Summerleague start at least publically had reduced the hype and pressure. Knox was over hyped as per the norm.
Seems as if RJ rises to ever challenge in time. Even this season he has steadily improved.
We can focus on Frank and Knox but RJ and Mitch are good development stories. Not saying we have the special sauce recipe like Toronto but......

Has Mitch developed? I haven’t seen much

Nalod
USA
1/26/2020  11:34 PM
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:While I’m glad there is little hype about Barrett but his slow Summerleague start at least publically had reduced the hype and pressure. Knox was over hyped as per the norm.

Kid did not play college ball. He fouled out in 5 mins last year. Now in 15 min.
THats progress!!!

smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
1/27/2020  5:15 AM
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:

Kid did not play college ball. He fouled out in 5 mins last year. Now in 15 min.
THats progress!!!

Also, he injured his leg in the offseason, so I think he didn't get to work on his game as much as we would have liked. I have been disappointed in his lack of progress though, but still early days

martin
USA
1/27/2020  11:10 AM
smackeddog wrote:
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:

THats progress!!!

Also, he injured his leg in the offseason, so I think he didn't get to work on his game as much as we would have liked. I have been disappointed in his lack of progress though, but still early days

I had heard that about Knox but not Mitch... did you get them mixed up?

Has anyone seen a young prospect type player like Mitch NOT shoot as much as he does? I don't get what he is hiding or what the plan is here.

Maybe they just want to limit what he has to learn and do on the court?

smackeddog
1/27/2020  1:16 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:

THats progress!!!

Nope, I think it was this one, but seem to remember after the season started that there was an article saying this injury lasted a big chunk of summer:

However, Robinson mostly has been on the sidelines during his week as a member of the US Select Team, which is a group of young NBA players fielded to scrimmage against Team USA’s World Cup training camp roster. Jeff Van Gundy is coaching the Select Team.

According to a Team USA source, Robinson suffered a knee injury and missed the first two days of practice, beginning with an informal workout Sunday. He returned for two days, but re-injured the knee Wednesday.

Robinson was expected to miss Thursday’s set of scrimmages and practice. A member of the Knicks training staff is in Vegas with Robinson. According to a source close to Robinson, he’s been experiencing “just soreness,” and the team and his camp are being extra cautious after an MRI turned up clean. The scrimmages end Friday.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/08/knicks-mitchell-robinson-dealing-with-knee-injury-at-team-usa-camp/

Ah, here it is:

New York Knicks center Mitchell Robinson is reportedly back to full strength after dealing with a knee injury during the offseason, including at Team USA training camp ahead of the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

Marc Berman of the New York Post reported Tuesday that Robinson's knee is "100 percent," which has allowed him to attend some voluntary scrimmages with the Knicks ahead of the 2019-20 NBA season.

The 21-year-old Florida native enjoyed a solid rookie campaign for New York. He averaged 7.3 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks in 20.6 minutes per game, shooting 69.4 percent from the field.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2855082-knicks-rumors-mitchell-robinson-100-after-offseason-knee-injury-recovery

martin
USA
1/27/2020  3:34 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:

THats progress!!!

Nope, I think it was this one, but seem to remember after the season started that there was an article saying this injury lasted a big chunk of summer:

However, Robinson mostly has been on the sidelines during his week as a member of the US Select Team, which is a group of young NBA players fielded to scrimmage against Team USA’s World Cup training camp roster. Jeff Van Gundy is coaching the Select Team.

According to a Team USA source, Robinson suffered a knee injury and missed the first two days of practice, beginning with an informal workout Sunday. He returned for two days, but re-injured the knee Wednesday.

Robinson was expected to miss Thursday’s set of scrimmages and practice. A member of the Knicks training staff is in Vegas with Robinson. According to a source close to Robinson, he’s been experiencing “just soreness,” and the team and his camp are being extra cautious after an MRI turned up clean. The scrimmages end Friday.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/08/knicks-mitchell-robinson-dealing-with-knee-injury-at-team-usa-camp/

Ah, here it is:

New York Knicks center Mitchell Robinson is reportedly back to full strength after dealing with a knee injury during the offseason, including at Team USA training camp ahead of the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

Marc Berman of the New York Post reported Tuesday that Robinson's knee is "100 percent," which has allowed him to attend some voluntary scrimmages with the Knicks ahead of the 2019-20 NBA season.

The 21-year-old Florida native enjoyed a solid rookie campaign for New York. He averaged 7.3 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks in 20.6 minutes per game, shooting 69.4 percent from the field.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2855082-knicks-rumors-mitchell-robinson-100-after-offseason-knee-injury-recovery

Yeah, that was August. Not sure what he was doing during May, June, July

Nalod
USA
1/28/2020  12:20 AM
The lack of shooting is bizarre. He at one point was talking about his 3pt shooting. I don’t think I have seen this kid even so much as shoot but one or two mid rename jumpers.
Maybe they are hiding it, like John Thompson did with Ewing in Georgetown??
seems like he is not trying to block everything in site and his fouls are down. I should look it up.
BigDaddyG

1/29/2020  3:19 PM
Another interesting prospect. Very good passer from the highlights I've seen. Reminds me a bit of Boris Diaw, although Boris was a much better athlete at the same age.

smackeddog
1/31/2020  10:38 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-georgias-anthony-edwards-goes-no-1-followed-by-james-wiseman-and-lamelo-ball/

I'm still on board the Tyrese Haliburton, but I fear our scouts tend to prefer players like Cole

3) LaMelo Ball:

Ball has gone from Lonzo's little brother to a legitimate high-level prospect in the span of just a few years thanks a unique combination of size, ball-handling ability and vision. Like Edwards, he's a great talent who hasn't shot consistently well from the perimeter. But he's elite at enough other things to go in the top three of this draft.

5) Cole Anthony

The biggest reason North Carolina is about to miss the NCAA Tournament is tied to Anthony's in-season knee surgery. The Tar Heels were 6-3 with a win over Oregon with Anthony in the lineup; they're 4-7 without him because, when they lost his 19.1 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.6 assists, they lost a lot and didn't have the necessary pieces to hold things together. Anthony has said for weeks that he intends to return to UNC's lineup this season. Assuming he does, NBA scouts will be anxious to get additional looks at him.

6) Tyrese Haliburton

Halburton, like Toppin, is an example of a mostly unheralded high school prospect who has become a statistical monster in college. He's averaging 15.8 points, 6.9 assists and 6.1 rebounds in 37 minutes per game while shooting 49.5% from the field and 40% from the 3-point line. So he's a guard with size who consistently makes shots. Every team needs those.

8) Killian Hayes

Hayes is an American-born combo guard who was raised in France and is currently playing professionally in Germany. He shared Most Valuable Player honors in the 2017 Jordan Brand Classic international game and is averaging 12.8 points and 6.2 assists in 26.8 minutes per game this season while shooting 39.0% from 3-point range and 90.9% from the free-throw line. Combine all that with a high basketball IQ, and what you get is a lottery pick.

12) Nico Mannion

Mannion hasn't shot it terrificly this season — and his Wildcats have fallen out of the national rankings because of a 10-game stretch in which they went 4-6 with losses to St. John's, Oregon State and Arizona State. That's rough. But he's still a lottery talent, I think, based on his vision, ability to run an offense and pass. He's averaging 5.8 assists in 30.5 minutes per game.

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/31/2020  10:52 AM
I feel like a lot of these guys are coming into the league too early. Guys like Nico, Edwards, Anthony, and Melo could really use another year to mature.
The Future is Bright!
martin
USA
1/31/2020  10:54 AM
smackeddog wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-nba-mock-draft-georgias-anthony-edwards-goes-no-1-followed-by-james-wiseman-and-lamelo-ball/

I'm still on board the Tyrese Haliburton, but I fear our scouts tend to prefer players like Cole

3) LaMelo Ball:

Ball has gone from Lonzo's little brother to a legitimate high-level prospect in the span of just a few years thanks a unique combination of size, ball-handling ability and vision. Like Edwards, he's a great talent who hasn't shot consistently well from the perimeter. But he's elite at enough other things to go in the top three of this draft.

5) Cole Anthony

The biggest reason North Carolina is about to miss the NCAA Tournament is tied to Anthony's in-season knee surgery. The Tar Heels were 6-3 with a win over Oregon with Anthony in the lineup; they're 4-7 without him because, when they lost his 19.1 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.6 assists, they lost a lot and didn't have the necessary pieces to hold things together. Anthony has said for weeks that he intends to return to UNC's lineup this season. Assuming he does, NBA scouts will be anxious to get additional looks at him.

6) Tyrese Haliburton

Halburton, like Toppin, is an example of a mostly unheralded high school prospect who has become a statistical monster in college. He's averaging 15.8 points, 6.9 assists and 6.1 rebounds in 37 minutes per game while shooting 49.5% from the field and 40% from the 3-point line. So he's a guard with size who consistently makes shots. Every team needs those.

8) Killian Hayes

Hayes is an American-born combo guard who was raised in France and is currently playing professionally in Germany. He shared Most Valuable Player honors in the 2017 Jordan Brand Classic international game and is averaging 12.8 points and 6.2 assists in 26.8 minutes per game this season while shooting 39.0% from 3-point range and 90.9% from the free-throw line. Combine all that with a high basketball IQ, and what you get is a lottery pick.

12) Nico Mannion

Mannion hasn't shot it terrificly this season — and his Wildcats have fallen out of the national rankings because of a 10-game stretch in which they went 4-6 with losses to St. John's, Oregon State and Arizona State. That's rough. But he's still a lottery talent, I think, based on his vision, ability to run an offense and pass. He's averaging 5.8 assists in 30.5 minutes per game.

Been trying to follow the 2020 draft and have been keeping an eye on Killian Hayes as well as Tyrese. Seems like Killian is climbing and scouts are liking his game more and more.

martin
USA
1/31/2020  11:03 AM
TPercy wrote:I feel like a lot of these guys are coming into the league too early. Guys like Nico, Edwards, Anthony, and Melo could really use another year to mature.

Add Frank, DSJr, Mitch, Knox to that list. For perspective, Cole Anthony is OLDER than RJ and just about 8 months younger than Knox.

What NBA and teams need is a better Gleague system that perhaps guarantees another year of a first round player contract IF they are designated for a full year or X amount of days or something

TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/31/2020  11:19 AM
martin wrote:
TPercy wrote:I feel like a lot of these guys are coming into the league too early. Guys like Nico, Edwards, Anthony, and Melo could really use another year to mature.

Add Frank, DSJr, Mitch, Knox to that list. For perspective, Cole Anthony is OLDER than RJ and just about 8 months younger than Knox.

What NBA and teams need is a better Gleague system that perhaps guarantees another year of a first round player contract IF they are designated for a full year or X amount of days or something

More use of the Gleague should be used for sure because what I'm noticing is that either these guys don't have a great feel for the game, or their bball IQ are extremely questionable.

DSJ, Cole, and Edwards are all very capable passers who could get 6-8 ast with ease but they don't know when to pass. They switch from passing to scoring mode rather than letting the game come to them like a Ja Morant.

Frank, Knox, and Nico are too damn robotic.

Melo and Edwards are exceptional talents but have the shot selection of a 16 year old playing AAU.

All these problems come with playing more games as the focal points of their college teams to prepare them for the next level.

The Future is Bright!
Yes it’s early but here’s the 2020 NBA draft thread.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy