Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/15/2020  4:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/15/2020  4:30 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:If I’m the Knicks, I would certainly be kicking the tires on D’Angelo Russell and Willie Cauley-Stein. We certainly have the pieces to make a deal work. If it costs me this years first and expiring contracts like Portis, Payton and Dotson for a floor spacing PG and back up center on reasonable contracts it’s a conversation I’m definitely having. Maybe I’m missing something, but this years draft doesn’t look like a slam dunk with a top 5 pick. This would be the year to trade that pick, balance the roster and start winning. I would certainly consider our pick in exchange for an all star PG a good exchange.

Besides the individual stats, what have Russell and WCS done on the last place GSW to warrant trading for them? They aren't winning on their current team.

Green has also been exposed this season. I think Russell’s Nets season was a fluke

For me it’s not about getting exposed. His role is enhanced with offensive players around him - dude is a defensive genius and excellent passer. Put him in a role not made for him and he isn’t as good.

It’s like trying to make Randle a playmaker.

well that's the same for russel, as far as roles and fit, you can say that about half the players on the knicks current roster..

Kanter was a turnstile on defense in NY, but he's been solid every where else..portland and boston

ES
AUTOADVERT
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/15/2020  4:31 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:If I’m the Knicks, I would certainly be kicking the tires on D’Angelo Russell and Willie Cauley-Stein. We certainly have the pieces to make a deal work. If it costs me this years first and expiring contracts like Portis, Payton and Dotson for a floor spacing PG and back up center on reasonable contracts it’s a conversation I’m definitely having. Maybe I’m missing something, but this years draft doesn’t look like a slam dunk with a top 5 pick. This would be the year to trade that pick, balance the roster and start winning. I would certainly consider our pick in exchange for an all star PG a good exchange.

Besides the individual stats, what have Russell and WCS done on the last place GSW to warrant trading for them? They aren't winning on their current team.

I can’t give you any expert analysis or breakdown of the Warriors. I can say they are missing 4 key players from last year and they weren’t that deep a team to begin with mostly role players. Could Lebron win with that roster right now?

I’m not challenging you or trying to start an argument, just starting a conversation. I think DLo on our roster would make a difference to us. His skill set is something we are sorely missing. Does it fix everything on our roster? No, but it is a huge flaw for us not having a pg who can break down a defense AND spread the floor. He is also still very young. It’s not like giving up a 1st rd pick for an aging past him prime player. He’s turning 24 and fits right in with our age group of youngins and young vets.

Stein is just a filler for an bench big with another year on his reasonable contract after this one. He has moved to a bench role with GSW. He nothing to get excited about other then he is expendable to them and fills a need for us.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/15/2020  4:56 PM
smackeddog wrote:do these look like the faces of a front office that’s going to stay pat?:

LOL

Perry always has a pained look on his face. Like he just read one of Knicks1248 redundant posts again.
I know that look.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/16/2020  7:43 AM
DeAngelo Russell
RJ Barrett
Morris
Randle
Mitchell Robinson

That is a nice young veteran group. I'd argue that group competes for the 8th spot this year and has a bright future.

I do question if there is a next gear for that group. Maybe they develop tremendous chemistry, we had a nice bench and we can be talking about winning 45-50 games for the next stretch.

I'd hate to trade this year's pick in a deal - but if we're moving players we aren't likely keeping, and maybe parting with the 2 dallas picks- can you really say no?

MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
1/16/2020  10:25 AM
It still frustrating that Russell wasn't a target this offseason. He squeaked into an All-Star game and is emerging and entering his prime. Our biggest need was guard help. It would be laughable if we now gave up assets to get him when we could have just signed him outright.

The worst thing this team can do is stand pat and not move Bullock for a second round pick and Morris for a first. We are the worst team in the NBA with all these guys, it helps us to stay there and secure a top 3 pick. If we have learned anything it's that no one wants to play here. So we need to have a legit package in a trade. So get what you can and secure more talent and assets and don't keep Morris to give him 20MM a year in the offseason. He was the 5th best player on the Celtics. You can overpay Goran Dragic and Paul Milshap in the offseason if you want to try again for veterans on one year contracts.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/16/2020  10:46 AM
franco12 wrote:DeAngelo Russell
RJ Barrett
Morris
Randle
Mitchell Robinson

That is a nice young veteran group. I'd argue that group competes for the 8th spot this year and has a bright future.

I do question if there is a next gear for that group. Maybe they develop tremendous chemistry, we had a nice bench and we can be talking about winning 45-50 games for the next stretch.

I'd hate to trade this year's pick in a deal - but if we're moving players we aren't likely keeping, and maybe parting with the 2 dallas picks- can you really say no?

I can: HELL NO

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
franco12
USA
1/16/2020  11:32 AM
martin wrote:
RJ Barrett
Morris
Randle
Mitchell Robinson

So you'd say no to trading the 2 dallas first rounders for Russell? In my mind, I'm moving salaries that match, and then maybe also DSjr or Frank?

I thought Russell did really well last year in Brooklyn. You'd be fielding a team of mostly young players that have 4 guys that will get you 20 points or close to it on a nightly basis.

What am I missing?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/16/2020  11:44 AM
franco12 wrote:
martin wrote:
RJ Barrett
Morris
Randle
Mitchell Robinson

So you'd say no to trading the 2 dallas first rounders for Russell? In my mind, I'm moving salaries that match, and then maybe also DSjr or Frank?

I thought Russell did really well last year in Brooklyn. You'd be fielding a team of mostly young players that have 4 guys that will get you 20 points or close to it on a nightly basis.

What am I missing?

It seems like I am not following your thought-line. Are you suggesting this year's Knicks pick plus the 2 Dallas picks and salary (Portis+Ellington) or just the 2 Dallas picks?

Knicks traded KP for 2 Dallas picks and DSJr (and salary of Jordan, Wesley).

For me the cost of Russell's salary is a no go on top of the picks you are offering.

Knicks cannot long term build a deep playoff team by trading for a 3rd best player type in Russell PLUS draft picks, a team is just not getting far in the playoffs with Russell as your best or second best player.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/16/2020  12:03 PM
martin wrote:
franco12 wrote:
martin wrote:
RJ Barrett
Morris
Randle
Mitchell Robinson

What am I missing?

It seem like I am not following your thought-line. Are you suggesting this year's Knicks pick plus the 2 Dallas picks and salary (Portis+Ellington) or just the 2 Dallas picks?

For me the cost of Russell's salary is a no go on top of the picks you are offering.

Knicks cannot long term build a deep playoff team by trading for a 3rd best player type in Russell PLUS draft picks, a team is just not getting far in the playoffs with Russell as your best or second best player.

This. Russell is not good enough. Salary dump and a Dallas pick. Im not giving up 2-3 first rounder and paying $30mm for Russell. Pass.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
USA
1/16/2020  12:10 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
franco12 wrote:
martin wrote:
RJ Barrett
Morris
Randle
Mitchell Robinson

What am I missing?

It seem like I am not following your thought-line. Are you suggesting this year's Knicks pick plus the 2 Dallas picks and salary (Portis+Ellington) or just the 2 Dallas picks?

This. Russell is not good enough. Salary dump and a Dallas pick. Im not giving up 2-3 first rounder and paying $30mm for Russell. Pass.

I'm not suggesting our pick this year or next or any year - just the two dallas picks and matching salary and maybe DSjr or Frank.

Portis
Ellington
DSjr

That I think works moneywise

2 Dallas first rounders.

The money for Russell, steep - I get it. But I like what our line up could look like with him matched up with RJ Barrett.

His age fits our overall time frame pretty well.

I just am not sure we can add a better talent in FA in the near future.

Why the Knicks should Stand Pat at the NBA Trade Deadline

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy