Mike Miller Appreciation Thread
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
1/2/2020  1:20 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:Miller's 6-6 since taking over -- anyone here would have predicted that? Not me. And a few of those losses were very close. Beat a good team tonight. Keep it going.

I see us climbing into the 30's for wins -maybe 40. If we keep it up we could sneak into the playoffs in the weak East.

Oh boy. We’re 10-24 now, right? Considering Miller got the job with the Knicks 14 games under .500, if we go .5000 with Miller we’ll finish at 34-48. Ouch. Fizdale - there’s no good explanation for 4-18 when your successor exceeded your win total in less than half as many games.

I suppose there’s a shot for the Knicks to reach 38 wins and squeeze into the last playoff slot? But we’d need to go a spectacular 28-20 (.583) the rest of the way.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/2/2020  7:15 AM
technomaster wrote:
stanleybostitch wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:Miller's 6-6 since taking over -- anyone here would have predicted that? Not me. And a few of those losses were very close. Beat a good team tonight. Keep it going.

I see us climbing into the 30's for wins -maybe 40. If we keep it up we could sneak into the playoffs in the weak East.

Oh boy. We’re 10-24 now, right? Considering Miller got the job with the Knicks 14 games under .500, if we go .5000 with Miller we’ll finish at 34-48. Ouch. Fizdale - there’s no good explanation for 4-18 when your successor exceeded your win total in less than half as many games.

I suppose there’s a shot for the Knicks to reach 38 wins and squeeze into the last playoff slot? But we’d need to go a spectacular 28-20 (.583) the rest of the way.

There is a good explanation - you're a bad coach with a bad system.

I liked Fizdale, and thought he needed time, but clearly he didn't really understand the game of basketball. Stars win, sure, but when you don't have Lebron to toss the ball to every possession, you need a team concept and system that gets the maximum production out of your players.

You have to wonder what last year would have looked like with Miller at the helm

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
1/2/2020  8:30 AM
I couldn’t believe how awesome we looked last night with so many mediocre and/or undeveloped players who had turned into weapons as they fit into their well define roles. That’s what good coaches do with teams that lack elite talent, they run the group as if it’s an arsenal of different weapons.

Like there was one point in first half when they swung the ball and a bunch of our primary options weren’t free but then we found Knox open for a three I almost felt bad for the blazers D.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/2/2020  10:24 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/2/2020  11:25 AM
We are a much better team as a whole, we defend the 3 now (best I've seen since Woodson's first season) and the overall effort has been night and day from fiz to Miller.

The team is way more focus under mike

ES
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/2/2020  12:09 PM
knicks1248 wrote:We are a much better team as a whole, we defend the 3 now (best I've seen since Woodson's first season) and the overall effort has been night and day from fiz to Miller.

The team is way more focus under mike

Yea Mills! Good job
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/2/2020  12:44 PM
martin wrote:
technomaster wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:After 11 games Mike has more wins than Fiz had after 25 wins, and Randle looks soooo much better under Mike.

Yeah, it's amazing - addition by subtraction. Fizdale "probably" pushed Randle out of his comfort zone and has made him a better player in the long haul. Instead of being a just a more athletic Z-Bo, he worked on his handle and passing in real game scenarios (with markedly mixed results). But he's looked more confident and purposeful on the floor with Miller - the game probably feels easy now.

Outside of a few blips, we're basically winning most of the games we're supposed to win and generally competing in loses, plus a few blow outs.

With Fizdale, we competed a lot but didn't come out with wins OR we got blown out a lot.

At the beginning of the season I thought the Vegas line of 30 wins was easily achievable. While I didn't expect us to be a juggernaut, I thought we had the tools to be a near .500 team.

I think you may be right here on Fiz's intent with Randle but he obviously made a glaring error: You got to establish and hone what a player and team can do before adding additional responsibility otherwise you get a ****show. That's like leadership 101

yes it is. along with don’t be both ignorant and arrogant. unless u’re planning on getting fired early in the 2nd year of the only 2 shots u’ll ever get at being an nba head coach.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/2/2020  1:09 PM

knicks1248
Member: #582
1/2/2020  1:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/2/2020  1:42 PM

Mills built a 37-42 win roster (I said that in OCT) that was playing like a JOKE under fiz. It also came out that not only did he utilize every single player wrong, he didn't even utilize his full coaching staff, limiting that to the dude he got fired with...Sounds like some EGO sht..WTH was mikes role under fiz..clearly the wrong one.

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
1/2/2020  1:53 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Mills built a 37-42 win roster (I said that in OCT) that was playing like a JOKE under fiz. It also came out that not only did he utilize every single player wrong, he didn't even utilize his full coaching staff, limiting that to the dude he got fired with...Sounds like some EGO sht..WTH was mikes role under fiz..clearly the wrong one.

Interesting, I read something along these lines a couple days ago. Was this a common practice by Fiz or was it something he did this season? Trying to piece together if the promotion of Miller to the coaching staff had him feeling scary?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/2/2020  2:09 PM
Knicks had a really tough schedule to start which need be addressed but Miller has done a great job. Kudo's to knicks for promoting him this summer than letting him walk as other teams might have wanted him for their bench. What we don't know is what our FO was thinking regarding him on a short leash or not to start this season. If not for the two Wins over the Mav's he might have been felled sooner? Miller if he can finish his part at .500 I would hope he is a lock for given the gig as permanent head coach. Maybe as time goes on we'll get some info on specifics to what Fiz and Smart were failing on.
Fiz got his dolan money and he'll be ok. I dont' hate the guy, he just was not what we needed. Not sure Miller is either but for now it looks good!!!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/2/2020  2:45 PM
LOL

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/2/2020  3:53 PM
can we commit to this dude already? I am a fan. We need someone who can develop talent and he has proven to be able to do that. I can't believe the Knicks are .500 for a longer stretch than 10 games. I thought Fizz was bad but I didn't realize he was *that* bad.
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

1/2/2020  3:54 PM
martin wrote:LOL

lmao

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/2/2020  4:51 PM
From Knicks reddit: The amount of wins the Knicks have under Mike Miller.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/2/2020  5:07 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:can we commit to this dude already? I am a fan. We need someone who can develop talent and he has proven to be able to do that. I can't believe the Knicks are .500 for a longer stretch than 10 games. I thought Fizz was bad but I didn't realize he was *that* bad.

I can understand why mgmt would want to wait. But Im sold. He showed as a G-League coach that he could win games and develop talent. Showing it on the big stage. This is more than a bump from a change of coach. The team looks more prepared, and ready to adjust.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/2/2020  6:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/2/2020  6:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:can we commit to this dude already? I am a fan. We need someone who can develop talent and he has proven to be able to do that. I can't believe the Knicks are .500 for a longer stretch than 10 games. I thought Fizz was bad but I didn't realize he was *that* bad.

I can understand why mgmt would want to wait. But Im sold. He showed as a G-League coach that he could win games and develop talent. Showing it on the big stage. This is more than a bump from a change of coach. The team looks more prepared, and ready to adjust.

He has done well....with that said, the schedule for the rest of January is tough. Management may want to see how the Knicks compete this month against a bunch of playoff teams.

CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

1/2/2020  7:29 PM
Was thinking of starting a separate thread...but I'm surprised at how fans of the Knicks on Twitter have gone out of their way to attack Fizdale since Miller took over.

I recall at least two times that Fizdale has been trending since Miller took over and it all had to do with the team performing better, at least in terms of winning and losing, than it did under Fizdale.

Have not been a fan of his since he took over and I realized he didn't really have an offensive "system," but I've never gloated about the fact that he was fired.

He was clearly more of a sore point with people than I understood him to be.

I like Miller so far, but he has a lot more to prove until he becomes the anointed one.

I just hope that the team stays healthy and we get to see what Miller can do with our roster. We missed out on the top FAs, but I was happy with what we had going into this year because of the favorable contracts we negotiated, as well as the kind of players we picked up.

Although I'm a big fan of Frank's, I was hoping Smith would show something that excited me...especially with all that talk of an improved shooting form, but he seems to have lost all his confidence. I really expected him to we an instant offense player off the bench. Live and learn.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/2/2020  7:47 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Interesting, I read something along these lines a couple days ago. Was this a common practice by Fiz or was it something he did this season? Trying to piece together if the promotion of Miller to the coaching staff had him feeling scary?

This is my first time hearing this...If its true that Fiz would only speak to Smart and not the other coaches, then thats a bad look....

WP76
Member: #4508

1/2/2020  8:32 PM
Fizdale was clearly in over his head but he got a lot more slack than he deserved because the "Knicks front office is inept" card could always be played. In spite of the hand you're dealt, winners prepare their teams, implement viable systems, and develop their talent. Now that we have (what appears to be) a competent coach with a blue collar attitude, Fizdale's shortcomings become even more glaringly obvious.
Mike Miller Appreciation Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy