[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Mike Miller Appreciation Thread
Author Thread
stanleybostitch
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1071

12/19/2019  9:08 AM
Have watched a number of the games since Miller's come on (with exception of some of the really late night west coast games). Here's what's different...

• Greater effort and Mitch/Frank-style intensity on the defensive side of the ball
  • Better defensive sets - Miller has stopped the switching insanity
  • Paying attention to perimeter defense instead of just stacking the box
  • A shorter rotation so guys can find a rhythm
  • Payton is back, and he's going to the hoop which opens things up
  • There is much better spacing on offense - under Fiz there'd frequently be three guys bunched up on one side of the court, haven't seen this with Miller
  • Randle has gotten the message that he's not a point guard

What else?

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
AUTOADVERT
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
12/19/2019  9:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/19/2019  9:39 AM
In fairness to Fiz, having Payton back makes a big difference in that he is our most complete pg. I think if he had not gotten hurt, Fiz probably still has his job and we probably would have won 2-4 more games than we did. That being said, I do like the changes that Miller has made. The team seems more structured on offense, and I like that Miller has reduced the switching on defense.
Trust the Process
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/19/2019  11:07 AM
stanleybostitch wrote:Have watched a number of the games since Miller's come on (with exception of some of the really late night west coast games). Here's what's different...

• Greater effort and Mitch/Frank-style intensity on the defensive side of the ball
  • Better defensive sets - Miller has stopped the switching insanity
  • Paying attention to perimeter defense instead of just stacking the box
  • A shorter rotation so guys can find a rhythm
  • Payton is back, and he's going to the hoop which opens things up
  • There is much better spacing on offense - under Fiz there'd frequently be three guys bunched up on one side of the court, haven't seen this with Miller
  • Randle has gotten the message that he's not a point guard

What else?

What else? "winning"!! LOL

good take. I think he has made some nice changes but for a team to be this different there was an ugly underbelly that might have been born out of personalities. The team seems to like Fiz' message and life mentoring but there was issues.
Something was messing with the yoots. We can guess all day long. I'll take a stab that Fiz was trying to be too many things to too many guys? He also had to play the guys FO signed. Not any different than other coaches and teams. Its obvious something was wrong. Miller has Mitch at a better level and Knox seems to be easing in. Fact is some of this might have happened anyway but we'll never know.
Miller seems to be a good fit at this time. How it plays out the rest of the season we'll find out.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/19/2019  12:06 PM
Having Payton back has really made a difference. Still, amazing the sort of mistakes that Fizdale made and never corrected. On offense it was as simple as putting less emphasis on isolation play and the positionless style that led to Randle running the offense. More 3pt shooting and less long 2s. More pick and roll play and better spacing. And on defense stop switching everything and start putting an emphasis on defending the 3pt line. Simple stuff. How can coaches around the league defend Fizdale when they realize these things he was and wasn't doing? It was really shocking to me.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

12/19/2019  12:24 PM
Knixkik wrote:Having Payton back has really made a difference. Still, amazing the sort of mistakes that Fizdale made and never corrected. On offense it was as simple as putting less emphasis on isolation play and the positionless style that led to Randle running the offense. More 3pt shooting and less long 2s. More pick and roll play and better spacing. And on defense stop switching everything and start putting an emphasis on defending the 3pt line. Simple stuff. How can coaches around the league defend Fizdale when they realize these things he was and wasn't doing? It was really shocking to me.
That's fair. But I still feel there is much more structure and accountability with Miller at the helm so far
Nalod
USA
12/19/2019  12:25 PM
Knixkik wrote:Having Payton back has really made a difference. Still, amazing the sort of mistakes that Fizdale made and never corrected. On offense it was as simple as putting less emphasis on isolation play and the positionless style that led to Randle running the offense. More 3pt shooting and less long 2s. More pick and roll play and better spacing. And on defense stop switching everything and start putting an emphasis on defending the 3pt line. Simple stuff. How can coaches around the league defend Fizdale when they realize these things he was and wasn't doing? It was really shocking to me.

Have to remember the media access and coaches are asked questions every single day. Any link or association with fiz and its newsworthy. That a coach would not replay to a question "well, look at the record?" is more of respect. His firing from Memphis, as was Jorgers was more responsive from coaches. SVG's was pretty harsh but he has learned in broadcasting having a take on everying is the job. JVG is a good dude but on a slow game he over reacts on issues to keep interest. I think the response to Fiz's firing was pretty tame given the circumstances. In the end the record speaks.

Sambakick
Member: #5646

12/19/2019  12:29 PM
Fiz had the option of starting Payton on opening night. Chose Trier! Case closed.
Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

12/20/2019  12:32 PM
TheGame wrote:In fairness to Fiz, having Payton back makes a big difference in that he is our most complete pg. I think if he had not gotten hurt, Fiz probably still has his job and we probably would have won 2-4 more games than we did. That being said, I do like the changes that Miller has made. The team seems more structured on offense, and I like that Miller has reduced the switching on defense.

When the season started Fiz benched all 4 point guards... started RJ and Trier.

Nuff said on that guy

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

12/20/2019  12:39 PM
Big couple of games tonight and tomorrow - will really be a test for the team and show just how far they've come (or have yet to go) under Miller.
The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

12/20/2019  2:54 PM
Papabear Says

Too soon to comment. If the Knicks loose 10 in a row you would want him fired.

Papabear
Nalod
USA
12/20/2019  4:29 PM
Papabear wrote:Papabear Says

Too soon to comment. If the Knicks loose 10 in a row you would want him fired.

Papa in the house with wisdom!!!
Yes, win 10 in a row we'll drone how he'll get hired away unless we extend him!!!

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/20/2019  4:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/20/2019  4:53 PM
What is Miller's contractual status? Ideally I would like for him to prove himself over the full year but if it came down to it, I really do love the idea of a COY for our d league team becoming the HC of the Knicks
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/22/2019  5:33 PM
Really good article by Kerber. Miller just might be the Knicks Nick Nurse.
https://nypost.com/2019/12/18/who-is-mike-miller-unknown-knicks-coachs-odyssey-from-small-town-illinois-to-limelight/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
12/24/2019  10:12 AM
Obviously Mike Miller should get the rest of the season to have a fair shot, but this lost really didn't do him any good. The Wiz aren't even a good team at full strength, and to let a bunch of unknown players, with G league stats to come into the Garden and run us out with a ZONE DEFENSE, a team that missed 13 FT is un-acceptable.
ES
CrushAlot
USA
12/24/2019  10:20 AM
knicks1248 wrote:Obviously Mike Miller should get the rest of the season to have a fair shot, but this lost really didn't do him any good. The Wiz aren't even a good team at full strength, and to let a bunch of unknown players, with G league stats to come into the Garden and run us out with a ZONE DEFENSE, a team that missed 13 FT is un-acceptable.
It is definitely worth reading Kerberos article if you haven’t. It sold me on Miller. I also heard him on the bank shot podcast. In regards to last night, I keep wondering if the Knicks missed Morris’s leadership and if that contributed to the awful showing.
CrushAlot
USA
12/24/2019  10:20 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Obviously Mike Miller should get the rest of the season to have a fair shot, but this lost really didn't do him any good. The Wiz aren't even a good team at full strength, and to let a bunch of unknown players, with G league stats to come into the Garden and run us out with a ZONE DEFENSE, a team that missed 13 FT is un-acceptable.
It is definitely worth reading Kerberos article if you haven’t. It sold me on Miller. I also heard him on the bank shot podcast. In regards to last night, I keep wondering if the Knicks missed Morris’s leadership and if that contributed to the awful showing.
knicks1248
12/24/2019  10:36 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

I read that article a few days ago and like I said, Mike has the opportunity to show what he's got, BUT WHEN YOU READ QUOTES LIKE THIS

I thought our approach the whole day was terrible. From shootaround on. I think we had a bad approach as a team, collective, from top to bottom, myself included," Randle said.

We had a lack of focus. I don't know what it was, it may have been a day off or something. But I feel like we was a little sluggish and that usually leads into the game. It's just the basketball gods," Damyean Doston said. Later, he added, "We'd seen that (Washington) had guys out and I think our focus went out the window. So we've got to have better focus."

That should NEVER Happen,

ES
CrushAlot
USA
12/24/2019  11:02 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I read that article a few days ago and like I said, Mike has the opportunity to show what he's got, BUT WHEN YOU READ QUOTES LIKE THIS

I thought our approach the whole day was terrible. From shootaround on. I think we had a bad approach as a team, collective, from top to bottom, myself included," Randle said.

We had a lack of focus. I don't know what it was, it may have been a day off or something. But I feel like we was a little sluggish and that usually leads into the game. It's just the basketball gods," Damyean Doston said. Later, he added, "We'd seen that (Washington) had guys out and I think our focus went out the window. So we've got to have better focus."

I agree but that is on the players. When you hear that his team was always prepared, that JVG asked him to be on his staff because when he was scouting he was impressed by how prepared Westchester was etc. I think you give the coach a mulligan on this one. I thought there might be an announcement that Morris was traded after the game because he didn’t play.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/24/2019  11:23 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I agree but that is on the players. When you hear that his team was always prepared, that JVG asked him to be on his staff because when he was scouting he was impressed by how prepared Westchester was etc. I think you give the coach a mulligan on this one. I thought there might be an announcement that Morris was traded after the game because he didn’t play.

Yeah. I am not down on Mike Miller yet. I like his defensive and offensive philosophies, but then again this is after suffering from the Fizdale approach for a little over a season.

A quick assessment on a very small sample size and he seems to be a basketball Xs and Os type coach. However, he seems to lack the drill sergeant DNA like JVG and the like. He has the whole season to show what he has so we shall see.

knicks1248
12/24/2019  11:37 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Yeah. I am not down on Mike Miller yet. I like his defensive and offensive philosophies, but then again this is after suffering from the Fizdale approach for a little over a season.

A quick assessment on a very small sample size and he seems to be a basketball Xs and Os type coach. However, he seems to lack the drill sergeant DNA like JVG and the like. He has the whole season to show what he has so we shall see.

We need that, especially with the BAD HABITS this team has develop

ES
Mike Miller Appreciation Thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy