[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KP trade is only going to get worse for the Knicks...
Author Thread
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/20/2019  10:08 AM
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:so we shouldn't have traded him and let him walk for nothing. Got it.

No. We should have did what Pat Riley did with Ewing, when Ewing was frustrated with the Knicks. This isn't the first time this has happened

Convince him we have a plan and then execute that plan.

Instead, we said trust us, you'll get paid; then had a horrible plan on offense and defense (Hornacek had better defense); then said stupid things about the status of his rehab

We had a FO that was supremely insecure. And when their star player expressed frustration, they had their moment of glory by shipping his ass out; One year later it already looks among the stupidest trades in the history of sports when DSJ can't get on the courts and the Mavs picks look more and more like late first rounders

Anyone who thinks KP didn't want to be here is wrong; he wanted to be here. He just didn't want this FO!

And for those who think otherwise, they still have to get a grip on the fact that we sold low, when he was injured.

Phil -- for all of his foibles -- would have been selling high

Right, he singlehandedly made Melo into an untradeable piece of **** AFTER giving him an NFT.

Then he got all pissy over a missed meeting and started shopping the Unicorn. Phil was a **** Prez who did two things right when he was here: didn't give away any first rounders (which is like deciding to let your hair grow) and he was here when KP was picked.

Any of that was overshadowed by the rest of the putrid, in over his head, no ****ing clue FO senior moment management he provided when not sleeping.

Please let the Phil balloon go. It's not 1973 anymore. And nobody gives a **** what he did with the Albany Patroons.

I would argue Melo made Melo untradeable. Phil said he held the ball too long and didn't play D. Both the truth and not a state secret

Melo decided NOT to change his ways and became a poisonous cancer in the lockeroom infecting KP among others

Two subsequent teams have validated this, 3 if you include the bulls.

and i agree Phil made many mistakes.

Or 4 if you want to include the Hawks. Just make sure don't ask the Blazers anything.

And who the **** was he supposed to pass the ball to? KP in a suit? Noah on PED's? GLeague rejects? Rose while he's in court or AWOL? Phil the genius Prez speaking as the retired, out of the league coach. Great truth.

Who led the team in assists before Phil the genius arrived to make a million a month and lead us to 17 wins and the brilliant coaching that was Derekurt RamFisher?

Where's the poisonous cancer quotes from the locker room? You know more than Lance Thomas did? Bull****. KP loved Melo. Why? Oh that's right, because he was a poisonous cancer. The league is full of players in locker rooms every where that apparently just love poisonous cancer.

I can do this all day. I love hearing revisionist history over and over again.

Wait, we still talking Melo and Phil? Lmao

Always fascinated the hate most fans have for anyone that we take on that was highly paid (Melo). Think it stems from unreasonable expectations. Feel like most that blame Melo for everything including the crime rate in the late 80's were fans that had unrealistic expectations and were upset when reality kicked in. Never understood how self proclaimed intelligent basketball fans would expect ONE player to bring them a chip. Or how they never recognized the the level of talent/garbage that Melo was surrounded with. Not did they place any blame on the people that were being paid to do so. Including Uncle Phil and his decisive and victorious gutting of a 54 win team. Only to expertly construct the makings of a Harlem Globetrotter opponent. With the exception that the Generals ran a more relevant offense. But of course he did his best to do nothing. Which I agree was the best he could have done. But not a big task given the thing he liked to do best was sleep a lot.

As for the Rockets, guess the success once Melo left proved he was the cause, after just 10 games. of their failure. Guess it was so bad that it infected CP3 and he too had to be dealt. Or maybe it was Melo's fault that OKC with the now departed players of Westbrook and PG at the helm, did not win it all. I mean look at how good they are now with much better additions like Gallo and CP3.

Agree that blaming Melo for being a "poisonous cancer to KP" is like blaming a guy for giving his buddy medication to treat all the **** he contracted from being married to a prostitute with seventeen different types of Venereal diseases.

As said many times before, Melo was an average at best defender, he held the ball a bit too long and did favor taking a shot over setting others up. However, he was the only All Star/HOFamer, that was not a cripple, that actually wanted to come here in the last 20 years. He gave us the best shot at the conference finals in the last 20 years. He was also the best player we have had in a long long time. He proved that if a decent team was put around him (Even if they were mostly in the last years of their careers or over achievers), he can make us quite competitive.

PS. abck to thread topic. I vote to keep Morris and Payton.

Phil's big mistake was hubris. He thought he could change Melo the way he had changed other players before. He wanted him to expand his talents into more defense and team ball. some might consider it laudable that he hoped for the best with melo; others might consider it foolish. History shows this was one of Phil's first Big mistakes

Melo wanted to be feted. So he put on his free agency road show, only to find no one else wanted to give him max money. Two things here: (1) not what someone would do if they wanted to be in NY and (2) he took the money and not the opportunity to take Chicago over the top. Very telling about Melo. Phil doubles or tripes down on his mistake by giving max and NTC. Even bigger mistakes

There are many old articles and threads on this board recounting the stories/rumors that Melo did what the military would call treason or mutiny by telling teammates to forget the triangle and ignore the coaches. In football you'd get your pay docked for that; the Heat would have docked him. On top of that the Rockets, Bulls and (i forgot) the Hawks all didn't want his veteran presence. Let that sink in for a minute before people start disputing he's a cancer. Supposed HoFer (i hope not -- way too selfish) and the Bulls and Hawks think he has nothing to add. Most reasonable people would find that pretty damning. I could add Stat was more willing to share the spotlight than Melo was.

Only after he's been out of the NBA for however long does he, or more accurately his trainer, say he now embraces the change Phil asked for so long ago. If nothing else this is an admission of guilt. He was stubborn, and he paid for it. Unfortunately, we as Knicks fans suffered too. If he had embraced change way back when who knows what would have happened.

In my mind the enduring images of Melo will be (1) getting stuffed by Roy Hibbert (for god's sake) at the pivotal moment in that series and (2) going one on two-or-three (depending on how you count) to force a shot with KP absolutely wide open under the net for alley oop of dunk. As talented as he was, he was also more selfish and dumb

If you want to soft-peddle his short comings (e.g., "average at best defender" is the understatement of the year) you're entitled to. If you want to soft peddle the deleterious affect he had on this team including poisoning KP's mind against the Knicks you're entitled to that too.

But logically speaking, the fact that Phil made many mistakes, in no way negates the deleterious effect Melo and his ego had on this team

MSG bbal operations were toxic for a long time. Melo and then Phil sagas were just another 2 chapters.
Starting from Dolan himself and all this endless egomaniacal GMs/presidents and mega-stars with twisted minds were perfect match to each other.
So it is not a coincidence that the results were atrocious.
The existence of large population of NY fans who like this kind of "action" did not help eather.
Everybody want to win but few know what it takes. And it takes personal sacrifices as the main asset to get it done.
It takes integrity, hard work, loyalty, and heart. For me only those who posses this values are true stars.
The rest are skilled clowns.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
AUTOADVERT
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/20/2019  11:16 AM
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:
franco12 wrote:so we shouldn't have traded him and let him walk for nothing. Got it.

No. We should have did what Pat Riley did with Ewing, when Ewing was frustrated with the Knicks. This isn't the first time this has happened

Instead, we said trust us, you'll get paid; then had a horrible plan on offense and defense (Hornacek had better defense); then said stupid things about the status of his rehab

We had a FO that was supremely insecure. And when their star player expressed frustration, they had their moment of glory by shipping his ass out; One year later it already looks among the stupidest trades in the history of sports when DSJ can't get on the courts and the Mavs picks look more and more like late first rounders

Anyone who thinks KP didn't want to be here is wrong; he wanted to be here. He just didn't want this FO!

And for those who think otherwise, they still have to get a grip on the fact that we sold low, when he was injured.

Right, he singlehandedly made Melo into an untradeable piece of **** AFTER giving him an NFT.

Then he got all pissy over a missed meeting and started shopping the Unicorn. Phil was a **** Prez who did two things right when he was here: didn't give away any first rounders (which is like deciding to let your hair grow) and he was here when KP was picked.

Any of that was overshadowed by the rest of the putrid, in over his head, no ****ing clue FO senior moment management he provided when not sleeping.

Please let the Phil balloon go. It's not 1973 anymore. And nobody gives a **** what he did with the Albany Patroons.

I would argue Melo made Melo untradeable. Phil said he held the ball too long and didn't play D. Both the truth and not a state secret

Melo decided NOT to change his ways and became a poisonous cancer in the lockeroom infecting KP among others

Or 4 if you want to include the Hawks. Just make sure don't ask the Blazers anything.

And who the **** was he supposed to pass the ball to? KP in a suit? Noah on PED's? GLeague rejects? Rose while he's in court or AWOL? Phil the genius Prez speaking as the retired, out of the league coach. Great truth.

Who led the team in assists before Phil the genius arrived to make a million a month and lead us to 17 wins and the brilliant coaching that was Derekurt RamFisher?

Where's the poisonous cancer quotes from the locker room? You know more than Lance Thomas did? Bull****. KP loved Melo. Why? Oh that's right, because he was a poisonous cancer. The league is full of players in locker rooms every where that apparently just love poisonous cancer.

Always fascinated the hate most fans have for anyone that we take on that was highly paid (Melo). Think it stems from unreasonable expectations. Feel like most that blame Melo for everything including the crime rate in the late 80's were fans that had unrealistic expectations and were upset when reality kicked in. Never understood how self proclaimed intelligent basketball fans would expect ONE player to bring them a chip. Or how they never recognized the the level of talent/garbage that Melo was surrounded with. Not did they place any blame on the people that were being paid to do so. Including Uncle Phil and his decisive and victorious gutting of a 54 win team. Only to expertly construct the makings of a Harlem Globetrotter opponent. With the exception that the Generals ran a more relevant offense. But of course he did his best to do nothing. Which I agree was the best he could have done. But not a big task given the thing he liked to do best was sleep a lot.

As for the Rockets, guess the success once Melo left proved he was the cause, after just 10 games. of their failure. Guess it was so bad that it infected CP3 and he too had to be dealt. Or maybe it was Melo's fault that OKC with the now departed players of Westbrook and PG at the helm, did not win it all. I mean look at how good they are now with much better additions like Gallo and CP3.

Agree that blaming Melo for being a "poisonous cancer to KP" is like blaming a guy for giving his buddy medication to treat all the **** he contracted from being married to a prostitute with seventeen different types of Venereal diseases.

As said many times before, Melo was an average at best defender, he held the ball a bit too long and did favor taking a shot over setting others up. However, he was the only All Star/HOFamer, that was not a cripple, that actually wanted to come here in the last 20 years. He gave us the best shot at the conference finals in the last 20 years. He was also the best player we have had in a long long time. He proved that if a decent team was put around him (Even if they were mostly in the last years of their careers or over achievers), he can make us quite competitive.

Phil's big mistake was hubris. He thought he could change Melo the way he had changed other players before. He wanted him to expand his talents into more defense and team ball. some might consider it laudable that he hoped for the best with melo; others might consider it foolish. History shows this was one of Phil's first Big mistakes

Melo wanted to be feted. So he put on his free agency road show, only to find no one else wanted to give him max money. Two things here: (1) not what someone would do if they wanted to be in NY and (2) he took the money and not the opportunity to take Chicago over the top. Very telling about Melo. Phil doubles or tripes down on his mistake by giving max and NTC. Even bigger mistakes

There are many old articles and threads on this board recounting the stories/rumors that Melo did what the military would call treason or mutiny by telling teammates to forget the triangle and ignore the coaches. In football you'd get your pay docked for that; the Heat would have docked him. On top of that the Rockets, Bulls and (i forgot) the Hawks all didn't want his veteran presence. Let that sink in for a minute before people start disputing he's a cancer. Supposed HoFer (i hope not -- way too selfish) and the Bulls and Hawks think he has nothing to add. Most reasonable people would find that pretty damning. I could add Stat was more willing to share the spotlight than Melo was.

Only after he's been out of the NBA for however long does he, or more accurately his trainer, say he now embraces the change Phil asked for so long ago. If nothing else this is an admission of guilt. He was stubborn, and he paid for it. Unfortunately, we as Knicks fans suffered too. If he had embraced change way back when who knows what would have happened.

In my mind the enduring images of Melo will be (1) getting stuffed by Roy Hibbert (for god's sake) at the pivotal moment in that series and (2) going one on two-or-three (depending on how you count) to force a shot with KP absolutely wide open under the net for alley oop of dunk. As talented as he was, he was also more selfish and dumb

If you want to soft-peddle his short comings (e.g., "average at best defender" is the understatement of the year) you're entitled to. If you want to soft peddle the deleterious affect he had on this team including poisoning KP's mind against the Knicks you're entitled to that too.

But logically speaking, the fact that Phil made many mistakes, in no way negates the deleterious effect Melo and his ego had on this team

There is no LOGIC in a fan claiming he knows the deleterious effect someone has in a situation they have NO knowledge of.

Can't remember anyone saying Melo was the best all around player in NBA history. If it makes you feel better to say he was the worst defender of all time. you're entitled to it. To me its just what people like to say when they don't like a great player and want to bring them down. Melo is going to be a Hall of Famer. Melo legacy will be to have been one of the GREATEST scores of ALL TIME. For those that don't like hearing that then I guess the "yeah but he didn't play great defense" Or the "he did not win a chip" soothes that. Point is when one ignores someones great accomplishments and try to splatter them with short comings, that's called being a hater. Heard same thing of Ewing, Barkley, Malone, etc. Fact is they were all great players. No matter how some hater tries to carve them down. But you're entitled to it. Think the Hibbert comment (Which btw he had a good excuse for. You see its hard to dunk over one of the best shot blockers in the league when you have been carrying 10 guys on your shoulders for a whole season and 6 games into a hard fought playoff series) and the treason comment (Which I love that you take fan forum posts and articles from click bating net bloggers who never played the sport or stepped inside a locker room over just about every player that played with Melo or FO guy that managed him and claimed he was a true professional) goes to show there are some deep scars emanating from something else affecting your opinion. But your entitled to it.

But lets Melo rehash yet again. Curious, do you blame Melo for Dolan being stupid enough to offer such a package and not wait until the off season to get him? Do you blame Melo for what the FO put around him year after year and then when they had success brought in Phil do scrap the team after just one injury riddled disappointing season? Whcih led to what exactly? Do you blame Melo for doing what anyone would do and try to get the most money/years in a contract? Do you blame Melo that Uncle Phil was dumb enough to give the guy you claim was a cancer a max deal? Do you really feel Chicago with only Butler was a guaranteed chip team? You make it seem like its a bad thing to be loyal to NY over a shot at a 10% chance at winning a chip. Or are you saying the Bulls were the 2015 Warriors and had enough to beat Kyrie and LBJ?

But lets agree to disagree. At least we both AGREE that Melo is a future HALL OF FAMER, one of the BEST SCORERS OF ALL TIME, the only ALL STAR that actually wanted to play here and had true love for the city. And the only player in a long time that made us relative and competitive. Good takeaway. Now lets root for the Knicks.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/20/2019  11:18 AM
Nalod wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Or 4 if you want to include the Hawks. Just make sure you don't ask the Blazers anything.

I applaud the effort you put into this. While Jrod might go ballistic, I think what it lacks is the positives of his career and tenure here. To be fair, it should not have to be noted every time we discuss Melo as the numbers don't lie, nor does his near MVP season here. I agree with most of what you said and I want to offer JROD one thing: I don't think any negatives define MELO but its a part of his story. He was bought here under great hype, price and expectations. He did good with a very limited roster which he understood and handled it well. Perhaps the pushback by management was what chandler describes and the cause to their "bad behavior". My opinion is Melo was responsible for his part. Divorce takes two.
In the end Perry handled it well and Melo also publically was very cool about it all. In the end he his legacy will be as one basketballs great volume scorers with HOF credentials. I would agree no retired Number in NY though. We have a very strict definition for that. No statues and likely no chips for him. He is an NCAA champ, multi Olympic gold medalist and NBA scoring champ. Hell of a resume. Glad he is finishing well and hope he can continue the season strong. Jrod, the Melo legacy had its moments good and bad. There is a reality there. some won't be as eloquent as Chandler depicted it.

Wait, who was the one pointing out Melo as a defensive carcinoma? Oh yeah, that was jrod.

Forget the individual numbers. Forget NALOD posting a cartoon toy with three to the head Melo indicative of where he landed in the MVP voting. This **** show franchise went to the playoffs three years in a row by the singular addition of Melo. Fact. That is the case for his legacy here. No, they didn't retire BK's number, they're not retiring Melo's. Agreed. Besides, the last thing I want to respond to on this board is the case some one of the MeloHate contingent will post pointing how that would be a gross injustice to Dean Meminger. Or Chris McNealy.

And divorce, since 1974 in this country anyway, is one of the few unilateral legal actions available. Nobody refutes Melo wanted to be here. They bring up lame horse**** over and over. He's selfish, he's stubborn. Wow, an NBA superstar with an ego problem. How many times do you remember watching Ewing setting a-hole picks FORTY FUCKING FEET FROM THE BASKET because he wanted a kick out for a jumper? Melo wanted to be here. Fuhuck the Nyets bull****. Nobody was buying that horse**** story at the time.

And Kobe and others were all but ****ing afraid to guard Melo. I would imagine that might affect anyone's stubbornness level. Especially when playing with the (for god's sake) level of players Melo had around him. Like Mrs. Hibbert. And one hit wonders like Steve Novak and JrSmith. I will refrain from mentioning the one Chinese league player that will now remain the One We Do Not Speak Of.

Melo had huge deficiencies on one side of the court, and basic deficiencies on the offensive side. Ball stopper? Guilty. Funny though, I remember him hitting Fishlips in the back of the head with a pass. I remember him jumping into chairs after a loose ball. I remember him being the only MOFO to show up for that pivotal game against the Pacers. I remember his selfishness, and I also remember him leading the team in assists one season. Hey, Chandler wants to regurgitate Hibbert's goal tending over and over, I'll regurgitate too.

Nalod coined the MoobySavior terminology for Melo. Melo's body of work to date shows that that could never be the case. He needs a very select brand of superstars around him to be part of a team that can make it anywhere near a chip. Despite my never-ending defense of what Melo did accomplish here, I know that's not going to happen. The NBA ain't the Olympics.

People who only **** on Melo have some sort of dislike for the man beyond just what went on the court when he was here. I wish him well in Portland, hope he gets to finish his career out West, making the playoffs through the end of his run.

But when we play Melo now, I honestly hope he goes 0 for 20 and ****s himself at half court.

Peace.

Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

12/20/2019  11:38 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:

There is no LOGIC in a fan claiming he knows the deleterious effect someone has in a situation they have NO knowledge of.

Can't remember anyone saying Melo was the best all around player in NBA history. If it makes you feel better to say he was the worst defender of all time. you're entitled to it. To me its just what people like to say when they don't like a great player and want to bring them down. Melo is going to be a Hall of Famer. Melo legacy will be to have been one of the GREATEST scores of ALL TIME. For those that don't like hearing that then I guess the "yeah but he didn't play great defense" Or the "he did not win a chip" soothes that. Point is when one ignores someones great accomplishments and try to splatter them with short comings, that's called being a hater. Heard same thing of Ewing, Barkley, Malone, etc. Fact is they were all great players. No matter how some hater tries to carve them down. But you're entitled to it. Think the Hibbert comment (Which btw he had a good excuse for. You see its hard to dunk over one of the best shot blockers in the league when you have been carrying 10 guys on your shoulders for a whole season and 6 games into a hard fought playoff series) and the treason comment (Which I love that you take fan forum posts and articles from click bating net bloggers who never played the sport or stepped inside a locker room over just about every player that played with Melo or FO guy that managed him and claimed he was a true professional) goes to show there are some deep scars emanating from something else affecting your opinion. But your entitled to it.

But lets Melo rehash yet again. Curious, do you blame Melo for Dolan being stupid enough to offer such a package and not wait until the off season to get him? Do you blame Melo for what the FO put around him year after year and then when they had success brought in Phil do scrap the team after just one injury riddled disappointing season? Whcih led to what exactly? Do you blame Melo for doing what anyone would do and try to get the most money/years in a contract? Do you blame Melo that Uncle Phil was dumb enough to give the guy you claim was a cancer a max deal? Do you really feel Chicago with only Butler was a guaranteed chip team? You make it seem like its a bad thing to be loyal to NY over a shot at a 10% chance at winning a chip. Or are you saying the Bulls were the 2015 Warriors and had enough to beat Kyrie and LBJ?

But lets agree to disagree. At least we both AGREE that Melo is a future HALL OF FAMER, one of the BEST SCORERS OF ALL TIME, the only ALL STAR that actually wanted to play here and had true love for the city. And the only player in a long time that made us relative and competitive. Good takeaway. Now lets root for the Knicks.

But by your logic, there is no logic in a fan claiming the opposite either -- which you seem to do. Do you KNOW his effects to be other than deleterious any better than any of us know the opposite? Or are you like the rest of human society who can only make informed judgments based on whatever evidence is put before him -- even if potentially suspect media reports. Oddly enough most people seem quite comfortable about relying on such evidence to declare Phil Jackson a ding dong -- even though he coached or played on more championship teams than most.

Look I'll avoid the epistemology

I agree he was a volume scorer -- albeit inefficient at the worst times. To say he had excuse for Hibbert is itself an excuse and a lame one; He got stuffed by a guy out of the league a few years later who simply raised his arms straight up in the air. COuld he have run a floater? Should he have had the hubris to think he can dunk on who you call "one of the best shot blockers"? Maybe he should have passed (you know to one of the other guys wearing the same color jersey)?

the fact that Dolan or the FO might be dumb too (which I agree with), does nothing to negate Melo was stubborn and selfish. You say he was carrying his teammates; I think some of them were actually good and Melo was a ball hog. Being a ball hog often leads to more points (but not success in my book)

And just a fact check, when Melo was considering Bulls they still had Rose and Noah and were in their prime. He wasn't loyal to NY. If he were, he knew he'd get max money from us and he would have showed he loved NY by signing. His insecure dumb self was trying to do his version of The Decision. Unfortunately for him, no one stroked his ego and the best offer was like 17 million. So he decided to shun Chicago and the chance to win (though Tom T would have demanded defense) and to soak the Knicks for every penny.

I hope he doesn't get into the Hall. The Hall should be reserved for people with higher ideals than putting up a lot of points

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/20/2019  11:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/20/2019  11:48 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Chandler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Or 4 if you want to include the Hawks. Just make sure you don't ask the Blazers anything.

I applaud the effort you put into this. While Jrod might go ballistic, I think what it lacks is the positives of his career and tenure here. To be fair, it should not have to be noted every time we discuss Melo as the numbers don't lie, nor does his near MVP season here. I agree with most of what you said and I want to offer JROD one thing: I don't think any negatives define MELO but its a part of his story. He was bought here under great hype, price and expectations. He did good with a very limited roster which he understood and handled it well. Perhaps the pushback by management was what chandler describes and the cause to their "bad behavior". My opinion is Melo was responsible for his part. Divorce takes two.
In the end Perry handled it well and Melo also publically was very cool about it all. In the end he his legacy will be as one basketballs great volume scorers with HOF credentials. I would agree no retired Number in NY though. We have a very strict definition for that. No statues and likely no chips for him. He is an NCAA champ, multi Olympic gold medalist and NBA scoring champ. Hell of a resume. Glad he is finishing well and hope he can continue the season strong. Jrod, the Melo legacy had its moments good and bad. There is a reality there. some won't be as eloquent as Chandler depicted it.

Wait, who was the one pointing out Melo as a defensive carcinoma? Oh yeah, that was jrod.

Forget the individual numbers. Forget NALOD posting a cartoon toy with three to the head Melo indicative of where he landed in the MVP voting. This **** show franchise went to the playoffs three years in a row by the singular addition of Melo. Fact. That is the case for his legacy here. No, they didn't retire BK's number, they're not retiring Melo's. Agreed. Besides, the last thing I want to respond to on this board is the case some one of the MeloHate contingent will post pointing how that would be a gross injustice to Dean Meminger. Or Chris McNealy.

And divorce, since 1974 in this country anyway, is one of the few unilateral legal actions available. Nobody refutes Melo wanted to be here. They bring up lame horse**** over and over. He's selfish, he's stubborn. Wow, an NBA superstar with an ego problem. How many times do you remember watching Ewing setting a-hole picks FORTY FUCKING FEET FROM THE BASKET because he wanted a kick out for a jumper? Melo wanted to be here. Fuhuck the Nyets bull****. Nobody was buying that horse**** story at the time.

And Kobe and others were all but ****ing afraid to guard Melo. I would imagine that might affect anyone's stubbornness level. Especially when playing with the (for god's sake) level of players Melo had around him. Like Mrs. Hibbert. And one hit wonders like Steve Novak and JrSmith. I will refrain from mentioning the one Chinese league player that will now remain the One We Do Not Speak Of.

Melo had huge deficiencies on one side of the court, and basic deficiencies on the offensive side. Ball stopper? Guilty. Funny though, I remember him hitting Fishlips in the back of the head with a pass. I remember him jumping into chairs after a loose ball. I remember him being the only MOFO to show up for that pivotal game against the Pacers. I remember his selfishness, and I also remember him leading the team in assists one season. Hey, Chandler wants to regurgitate Hibbert's goal tending over and over, I'll regurgitate too.

Nalod coined the MoobySavior terminology for Melo. Melo's body of work to date shows that that could never be the case. He needs a very select brand of superstars around him to be part of a team that can make it anywhere near a chip. Despite my never-ending defense of what Melo did accomplish here, I know that's not going to happen. The NBA ain't the Olympics.

People who only **** on Melo have some sort of dislike for the man beyond just what went on the court when he was here. I wish him well in Portland, hope he gets to finish his career out West, making the playoffs through the end of his run.

But when we play Melo now, I honestly hope he goes 0 for 20 and ****s himself at half court.

Peace.

Your relentless but entertaining!!!! Good take.
Lets be clear, as you got a little bit of "Rainman" in you when it comes to Melo: When got punished those who knelt before the golden calf and choose the idol as its god it was its patrons that were punished. "Mooby", from the movie Dogma did not challenge the existence Jesus but those that followed. "Coming Home" and the hype grew expectations. You bought it up. While you might repel against Melo hate, I will try to center those who saw Melo as the savior. He was not.

toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
12/21/2019  7:00 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/21/2019  7:02 AM
Watched Kristaps dismantle a playoff team last night.

Did you enjoy watching yet another blowout?

Reading comments insulting Kristaps, as if he should have been trapped by this dead organization that needs to overpay jobbers just to have anyone sign, reminds me of why Dolan gets away with what he gets away with.

Kristaps Porzingis is the hero in the story, James Dolan is the idiot villain. The Unicorn is busy destroying a top 10 team on the road, while posters here celebrate a win over the worst team in the NBA like it's aplayoff game.

I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
Chandler

12/21/2019  8:28 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/21/2019  8:29 AM
toodarkmark wrote:Watched Kristaps dismantle a playoff team last night.

Did you enjoy watching yet another blowout?

Reading comments insulting Kristaps, as if he should have been trapped by this dead organization that needs to overpay jobbers just to have anyone sign, reminds me of why Dolan gets away with what he gets away with.

Kristaps Porzingis is the hero in the story, James Dolan is the idiot villain. The Unicorn is busy destroying a top 10 team on the road, while posters here celebrate a win over the worst team in the NBA like it's aplayoff game.

they beat the Bucks and Sixers on the road, where each team previously only had one loss. No Luca either. Carlisle will figure our how to manage KP too

If Pat the Rat were with this team, he would have put an arm around KP the same way he did with Ewing

We have a FO who's epitaph will read, "I traded KP for cap space"

(5)(5)
nyknickzingis
Member: #6207

12/21/2019  10:55 AM
Mills and Perry thought they would get Kyrie or Durant, or both. They were confident that with capspace and all that, they would be able to make a splash to compensate losing an all-star big for.

I saw a bit of the Sixers Mavs highlights. Man, it looked like Porzingis just outplayed everyone on the floor. Porzingis is not a stats guy. His value goes way beyond stats. What he does for a team is rare and hard to find. He stretches the entire defense or makes them pay if they don't get their big guys out to defend him. Then he can take them off the dribble if they go defend him. This year he has began to rebound the ball like he's a beast and his rim protection was always elite. You have very few players in the league who are as valuable as KP. His biggest drawback was rebounding and now he's doing that. He has become a very well rounded player. He may not be a superstar who can carry your franchise, but a legit reliable all-star.

The Mavs went from a lottery team without KP and having DSJ, to a contender in the West. Some of it was Luka's improvement. A lot of it was adding KP instead of DSJ. DSJ was not a good fit, or even going to be in the rotation. KP is their most valuable piece aside from Luka. You see now in the 3 games that Luka is out, KP is able to step up.

The Knicks made a huge blunder. Needed to listen to Phil. If they were doubts on Porzingis, trade him when we could have had 2 lottery picks and a starter. At that time when Phil was shopping him, teams were willing to give that up. Teams will not give up the same for a player rehabbing an ACL injury with a max contract extension needing to be signed WHILE he is still on rehab. That is when your value is at it's lowest. One of the dumbest moves in Knicks history was trading Porzingis at that time. If NY wanted to trade him, should have done it in June 2017.

Who really thinks Porzingis would have refused to sign a 5 year max extension with the Knicks? Who here thinks Porzingis would have risked 100+ million dollars and taken the qualifying offer? He would have taken a 4 year max offer and Knicks match, or just signed a 5 year max deal with the Knicks. Then asked for a trade again at some point in the future. You can then show that Porzingis is still an all-star talent, healthy, and a great #2 for a contender. Then you get equal value.

Dumbo show we have going on with Dolan, Mills and Perry.

Phil sucked at many things, but at least Phil got a few things right. 1) He knew that Porzingis would not last in NYs culture, so he wanted to trade him when value was at peak. That return would have really helped NY right now. 2) He was building through the draft. 3) He picked good coaches in Kerr, Horny who would develop players the right way.

fwk00
Member: #6048

12/21/2019  11:07 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Mills and Perry thought they would get Kyrie or Durant, or both. They were confident that with capspace and all that, they would be able to make a splash to compensate losing an all-star big for.

I saw a bit of the Sixers Mavs highlights. Man, it looked like Porzingis just outplayed everyone on the floor. Porzingis is not a stats guy. His value goes way beyond stats. What he does for a team is rare and hard to find. He stretches the entire defense or makes them pay if they don't get their big guys out to defend him. Then he can take them off the dribble if they go defend him. This year he has began to rebound the ball like he's a beast and his rim protection was always elite. You have very few players in the league who are as valuable as KP. His biggest drawback was rebounding and now he's doing that. He has become a very well rounded player. He may not be a superstar who can carry your franchise, but a legit reliable all-star.

The Mavs went from a lottery team without KP and having DSJ, to a contender in the West. Some of it was Luka's improvement. A lot of it was adding KP instead of DSJ. DSJ was not a good fit, or even going to be in the rotation. KP is their most valuable piece aside from Luka. You see now in the 3 games that Luka is out, KP is able to step up.

The Knicks made a huge blunder. Needed to listen to Phil. If they were doubts on Porzingis, trade him when we could have had 2 lottery picks and a starter. At that time when Phil was shopping him, teams were willing to give that up. Teams will not give up the same for a player rehabbing an ACL injury with a max contract extension needing to be signed WHILE he is still on rehab. That is when your value is at it's lowest. One of the dumbest moves in Knicks history was trading Porzingis at that time. If NY wanted to trade him, should have done it in June 2017.

Who really thinks Porzingis would have refused to sign a 5 year max extension with the Knicks? Who here thinks Porzingis would have risked 100+ million dollars and taken the qualifying offer? He would have taken a 4 year max offer and Knicks match, or just signed a 5 year max deal with the Knicks. Then asked for a trade again at some point in the future. You can then show that Porzingis is still an all-star talent, healthy, and a great #2 for a contender. Then you get equal value.

Phil sucked at many things, but at least Phil got a few things right. 1) He knew that Porzingis would not last in NYs culture, so he wanted to trade him when value was at peak. That return would have really helped NY right now. 2) He was building through the draft. 3) He picked good coaches in Kerr, Horny who would develop players the right way.

Phil was a good man for the job.

But I'm not so down on the FO or Dolan. The Knicks are the crown jewel of sports franchises. With that comes a lot of second guessing, overly cautious foot-dragging, and the inevitable instant-gratification crisis' we see periodically.

Dolan, Mills, and Perry and the rest of what is an excellent FO are victims of this success factor.

KP, when healthy and when head screwed on properly, is a talent for sure. And he's riding a high right now. But his dark side (professionally and personally (the rape allegations)) and the nature of that injury suggest that his career will not be a long one in the NBA. KP can't space his way away from his looming demons.

Nalod
USA
12/21/2019  11:17 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Mills and Perry thought they would get Kyrie or Durant, or both. They were confident that with capspace and all that, they would be able to make a splash to compensate losing an all-star big for.

That is truth at the moment. The talent was rarely in dispute. His Fragile potential lies dormant. That is not apparent at the moment. I think if KP did not break knicks resign him. But he did.
Blame? The timeline. tomorrow if KP breaks again the whole thing changes again. Also it is early and the fatigue we once saw has not occurred.
IT was never his talent that was questioned or his desire. We made our commitment to him when we fired Phil. Then he broke after a start like we are seeing.
The whole thing is regrettable.
Are we shunned because of Dolan or Mills?

nyknickzingis

12/21/2019  11:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/21/2019  11:42 AM
Porzingis the flaws or risks with him, that is why you trade him.
The problem is the vision and timing.
Phil saw the warning signs and wanted to trade him. He was going to get 2 lotto picks rookies and a young starter. They fire him for Mills.
What does Mill do? Wait 2 years, almost, do the same trade only get 0 starters, 0 lottery picks. Dump a bad contract he himself gave out, for capspace to overpay the likes of Randle.

I do not get it - is winning not enough? When Porzingis got hurt, the Knicks were a competitive team. Every year Porzingis had been on the Knicks, at least they were a) competitive and b) exciting to watch because of his talent. Even after trading Melo for Kanter, they begun the season as a playoff level team and were not going to make it but were competitive (I think what like 21-26 going into the game he blew his ACL?). All without playing with a talentend guard. I was saying every season Porzingis was a NY Knick, get him an all-star guard will change the team. Rose was the best guy they ever got but at that point in his career he was a backup PG on a good team.

You keep Porzingis you add someone like Kemba even, you will make the playoffs this year in a weak east with a good head coach and system. The plan sucked - the timing sucked. Fans can excuse it all they want or blame KP. It won't change the fact that we traded away the best talent we had since Ewing for peanuts. And two things are not happening guys, no matter how many ways you slice it. KP is not passing up a 5 year max contract. Porzingis is not going to show up to the season without effort and pride to showcase his talents and improve. Flaws and all, you either trade him when Phil wanted to. Or you trade him when he re-establishes his value by end of season 2019-2020.

Lets just ask, say Cuban wants to flip Porzingis at season's end? Do you think he will get DSJ and 2 low draft picks? He would get much more. It is all about timing.

Nalod
USA
12/21/2019  11:55 AM
nyknickzingis wrote:Porzingis the flaws or risks with him, that is why you trade him.
The problem is the vision and timing.
Phil saw the warning signs and wanted to trade him. He was going to get 2 lotto picks rookies and a young starter. They fire him for Mills.
What does Mill do? Wait 2 years, almost, do the same trade only get 0 starters, 0 lottery picks. Dump a bad contract he himself gave out, for capspace to overpay the likes of Randle.

I do not get it - is winning not enough? When Porzingis got hurt, the Knicks were a competitive team. Every year Porzingis had been on the Knicks, at least they were a) competitive and b) exciting to watch because of his talent. Even after trading Melo for Kanter, they begun the season as a playoff level team and were not going to make it but were competitive (I think what like 21-26 going into the game he blew his ACL?). All without playing with a talentend guard. I was saying every season Porzingis was a NY Knick, get him an all-star guard will change the team. Rose was the best guy they ever got but at that point in his career he was a backup PG on a good team.

You keep Porzingis you add someone like Kemba even, you will make the playoffs this year in a weak east with a good head coach and system. The plan sucked - the timing sucked. Fans can excuse it all they want or blame KP. It won't change the fact that we traded away the best talent we had since Ewing for peanuts. And two things are not happening guys, no matter how many ways you slice it. KP is not passing up a 5 year max contract. Porzingis is not going to show up to the season without effort and pride to showcase his talents and improve. Flaws and all, you either trade him when Phil wanted to. Or you trade him when he re-establishes his value by end of season 2019-2020.

Lets just ask, say Cuban wants to flip Porzingis at season's end? Do you think he will get DSJ and 2 low draft picks? He would get much more. It is all about timing.

Phil is fired and Melo made gone. We gave the team to KP. WE could not extend him until that summer.
Yes, I agree and the season starts really good. BY January KP is “Tired” and he is clearly not strong enough to carry the team. Hardaway first year and has the fracture thing. Again, this is KP’s team and the owner fired Phil so we are committed. Then he broke. KP swears he back in 10 months. Knicks posture if KP waits there is 10mil more in cap space. Season starts, he is a dick, and the confrontation begins. Things we don’t know about. We did not force hm back. EVen Dolan said he might not play. Then it blows up.
I’m in the camp of if you want to trade him, trade him. If not, hand him the keys. We did. Fans including me don’t know everything and I’m not pretending to. “Regrettable” because it was a less than favorable outcome. Blame? I just don’t know. If its on Mills, OK. I file it as on both camps. I was not down with Phil trading him at the time. I was not happy we traded him. I’m not in the “Good riddance” camp. But I’m not casting blame thinking it changes anything. If they fire mills, so be it. I really don’t give a ****. I’m long past it. I just want what’s best and won’t pretend I know what that is. I just know reaction is never good. thats why I push against.

nyknickzingis

12/21/2019  12:35 PM
I don't think we know the details of what went on in the meetings, but we do know that the Knicks traded Porzingis for peanuts or penny on the dollar. If the Pacers traded Paul George when he got his injury playing for Team USA during that time, what do you think they would have fetched? The Knicks brass did this move thinking they would cash in the summer, which they did not. Had they cashed in, the trade looks a lot different. But because they failed in the summer, the trade is basically now Porzingis for DSJ and 2 low first round picks.

We are all over it - and truth is Kristaps is in a much better situation for his career both in development and the amount of work he has to do - but that does not mean the Knicks got fair value. They sold at a very bad time. Kristaps was their #1 stock. It's bad enough how bad they did with Melo's stock. I thought that was Phil. Then to do the same with Kris. Now I know it's Mills.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/21/2019  12:37 PM
If Mills stays beyond this season, we might end up in the same situation as we were in during the last big FA push. All dressed up with nowhere to go. Would you feel confident knowing you are going to a team where the same exec has been part of two decades of losing? We focus on the roster, the owner, when discussing free agency, but the front office is part of FAs calculus as well.

All that cap space could bring us some big names in 2021. Look at the list. If Dolan brings in a new team president who is more than just a name. Mitch/Barrett keep improving. We would have a good shot of attracting talent. Otherwise I see us getting hosed again. Morris is worth extending. Believe FAs would like having him as a teammate. Dont want the cupboard to be bare when trying to sign big FAs. Hope we can afford him.

fwk00
Member: #6048

12/21/2019  1:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/21/2019  1:03 PM
GustavBahler wrote:If Mills stays beyond this season, we might end up in the same situation as we were in during the last big FA push. All dressed up with nowhere to go. Would you feel confident knowing you are going to a team where the same exec has been part of two decades of losing? We focus on the roster, the owner, when discussing free agency, but the front office is part of FAs calculus as well.

All that cap space could bring us some big names in 2021. Look at the list. If Dolan brings in a new team president who is more than just a name. Mitch/Barrett keep improving. We would have a good shot of attracting talent. Otherwise I see us getting hosed again. Morris is worth extending. Believe FAs would like having him as a teammate. Don't want the cupboard to be bare when trying to sign big FAs. Hope we can afford him.

Just stop.

Mills or no Mills, the Knicks are a big ship that doesn't go from loser to winner because Christ walks through the door.

Truth is that the FO did a decent job of recovering from disappointment this summer. They can't and no one ever will control the whims and whimsy of the NBA FA contest. Its not easy to build, sustain, or to perpetuate winning cultures in the NBA.

This clearing cap space meme that never ends and the equally ridiculous tank meme are wholly a waste of time and energy.

*This* is what the beginning stages of a rebuild look like. Some assets shine, others fail.

Prune the roster and in doing so harden the roster. We will get our draft picks regardless. Continuous improvement is the goal.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/21/2019  1:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/21/2019  1:58 PM
fwk00 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:If Mills stays beyond this season, we might end up in the same situation as we were in during the last big FA push. All dressed up with nowhere to go. Would you feel confident knowing you are going to a team where the same exec has been part of two decades of losing? We focus on the roster, the owner, when discussing free agency, but the front office is part of FAs calculus as well.

All that cap space could bring us some big names in 2021. Look at the list. If Dolan brings in a new team president who is more than just a name. Mitch/Barrett keep improving. We would have a good shot of attracting talent. Otherwise I see us getting hosed again. Morris is worth extending. Believe FAs would like having him as a teammate. Don't want the cupboard to be bare when trying to sign big FAs. Hope we can afford him.

Just stop.

Mills or no Mills, the Knicks are a big ship that doesn't go from loser to winner because Christ walks through the door.

Truth is that the FO did a decent job of recovering from disappointment this summer. They can't and no one ever will control the whims and whimsy of the NBA FA contest. Its not easy to build, sustain, or to perpetuate winning cultures in the NBA.

This clearing cap space meme that never ends and the equally ridiculous tank meme are wholly a waste of time and energy.

*This* is what the beginning stages of a rebuild look like. Some assets shine, others fail.

Prune the roster and in doing so harden the roster. We will get our draft picks regardless. Continuous improvement is the goal.

I'll stop when 20 years as an exec with zero accountability comes to an end. Rebuilding means progress. There are some bright spots to be sure, not enough progress to keep Mills off the hot seat. Last time we saw progress Mills was on his "sabbatical" after the lawsuit.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
12/21/2019  1:57 PM
fwk00 wrote:

Just stop.

Wrong. Mills took a 54 win team and destroyed it. He was here for the Isiah era. He has sucked and survived for a long time. It is why I am terrified by the Blatt hire. Blatt is a great basketball mind and on the surface it looks like a good hire. But Mills has surrounded himself with his guys if it comes down to a decision between Perry and Mills. If a guy like Morey, Presti, or Ujiri was brought in and given total power it would change everything. Those are guys that have done the job Mills has competently and are considered some of the best at their craft. Every reset the Knicks have had since Dolan backed away has involved Mills and hasn't worked. Mills has two goals, survive at msg and build the Knicks. He has been successful at one and maybe circling the wagons again to keep building on that success. Unfortunately he has been very bad as an executive.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
MS
Member: #724
12/21/2019  2:31 PM
Did you read the article where it said most executives didn’t even have time to bid for KP?

I would think you would rather give up Knox and Frank to get rid of a Courtney Lee or Noah’s contract. Rebuilding means smart moves that accumulate assets.

Like taking on contracts this summer with picks attached. Not rushing through every move you make without plan.

Christ if we had KP this summer we could have likely moved our contracts to a team like Memphis, Lee Knox and Frank and just handed out max deals to Kemba and Butler snd had RJ, Mitch, KP and Trier to continue the youth movement.

Makes you sick watching them go on the road vs the bucks and Sixers and bring it home.

mlby1215
Member: #6486

12/21/2019  4:36 PM
Several things come to mind.

1. Rebuilding is easy, but losing is hard. ppl always say keep the picks, and Mills did it, and it isn't that easy. Now his life is on the line, probably he will trade picks for something, again.
2. It will take a lot of courage to admit that Phil Jackson shouldn't have been fired. It is one thing a leader making a mistake, it is other firing him. It is because Phil Jackson would learn from his mistakes, Steve Mills would not.
3. I would rather trust the basketball guys, than the business guys.
4. I can see one day KP will have a championship ring. Ppl always say he is injury prone. it is hard not to be one when you play that much. Mav had Dirk before, they knows how to keep his players good and healthy until the end.
5. Even harder to admit the fans, not Dolan, made everything happened. NY Media manipulated the fans, and the fans got angry. Mills took advantages of it, then everything is gone.
6. Mills will not be fired. He will be here with you for many many years. His job title probably may be changed, but his power to influence the team would not.

Chandler

12/22/2019  9:04 AM

garden should be chanting fire Mills instead of fire Dolan.

you can actually fire Mills; and it may give dolan the impetus

I agree with the comment that it's hard to build and sustain a winning culture. But it's impossible to do when your team president is completely clueless at every turn

Playing in and for NYC is still our strongest selling point; right now that is mitigated because any top FA worth a damn prefers winning and knows it's all the more difficult here because Mills is a clown

My hope is that he is fired and forbidden from stepping on the premises. Having him in the organization is and has been a disaster

(5)(5)
KP trade is only going to get worse for the Knicks...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy