[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

If I’m Perry I’m not looking at contenders to trade Morris to
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/19/2020  11:42 AM
Its a good tweet and notable but more than just stats. Age gap, and Harris as a free agent.
Knicks have to decide if they keep Morris what will they pay him? He was initially seen as a one year rental.
AUTOADVERT
nykshaknbake
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #492
1/19/2020  1:14 PM
If we can get a mid round 1st or late round 1st and some other asset of value I'd say do it. Morris has been great but I wonder if it's a good player on bad team kinda thing. Plus he's 30 and our path to contention peaks past his prime. We'd probably have to give hima big contract at this point which I'm reluctant to do.
Nalod
USA
1/19/2020  9:24 PM
Drive up the value in your mind then blame Mills for offers that never really came.
I agree with you but its not a given we can get that.
Not sure I want to pay him what he will want long term.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
1/19/2020  10:54 PM
Nalod wrote:Drive up the value in your mind then blame Mills for offers that never really came.
Morris is really good. His numbers are inflated because he is on a bad team but he is a two way player. I think the Clippers or Lakers make a good offer for him. He is a guy that could push a team over the edge for a championship. He isn’t Kyle O’Quinn. He is a commodity and if he isn’t trad d it is on Mills.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/20/2020  5:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2020  6:10 AM
How about Morris and Portis to the Jazz for Conley (2 years $33mil per), their 2022 1st (I think that's the year of the double draft) and a cheap guy like Niang. Helps them get out of the Conley experiment (which didn't work), gives us someone to mentor whichever PG we draft (expires in time for 2022), and is a better pick than the Clippers (this years is a weak draft).

Then see if you could do Taj, Ellington and trier to the Kings for Bogdanovic and dedmon (helps them get out of dedmons salary and gives us a backup C that won't ruin Mitch's mind.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/20/2020  8:19 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:If we can get a mid round 1st or late round 1st and some other asset of value I'd say do it. Morris has been great but I wonder if it's a good player on bad team kinda thing. Plus he's 30 and our path to contention peaks past his prime. We'd probably have to give hima big contract at this point which I'm reluctant to do.

whats a big contract to to you?

ES
knicks1248
1/20/2020  8:36 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2020  8:40 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:Drive up the value in your mind then blame Mills for offers that never really came.
Morris is really good. His numbers are inflated because he is on a bad team but he is a two way player. I think the Clippers or Lakers make a good offer for him. He is a guy that could push a team over the edge for a championship. He isn’t Kyle O’Quinn. He is a commodity and if he isn’t trad d it is on Mills.

THINK ABOUT THIS AS FAR AS MORRIS TRADE RUMORS

I don't think his numbers are inflated at all, It has a lot more to do with the role he has on this team as oppose to just chucking up shots for stats purposes.

Every report coming out of the F/O is they wont trade him unless they are blown away or if the player wanted out (which ain't happening).

If you have been paying attn to this F/O, they couldn't even trade away Kanter's expiring contract last season (they will never add salary in a trade or give up draft picks) they could have waived Jordan but because of his leadership and impact on Mitch (same impact Morris has on the entire team) they kept him.

It's almost laughable for ppl to think this F/O will trade any of the F/A they signed and get anything worthy back..

ES
nykshaknbake
1/20/2020  9:24 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:If we can get a mid round 1st or late round 1st and some other asset of value I'd say do it. Morris has been great but I wonder if it's a good player on bad team kinda thing. Plus he's 30 and our path to contention peaks past his prime. We'd probably have to give hima big contract at this point which I'm reluctant to do.

We gave him 15 for 1 year, the Spurs had him at 10 for 2. The Clips had offered 41 over 4. This was all before this season. This year he has outlying numbers in efficiency and points. He'd probably get around 22+ per year over 3 or 4 years. If we were a contending team it would be fine, but we aren't even close.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/20/2020  10:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2020  10:13 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

When do you think we should start keeping guys like Morris? Real question. Agree that if he is leaving by the end of the year we have to get what ever we can for him. I know everyone keeps saying guys like Morris dont fit our timeline but that seems to change every year. Just thinking that if we keep trading guys like Morris for picks that only adds another 3 to 5 years to the timeline. Frustrating. Not claiming I know the answer but hoping the day comes when we are good enough that we start looking for ways to make the playoffs and not just add more pieces for yet another 3 to 5 year plan. Guess it is what it is.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
knicks1248
1/20/2020  11:45 AM
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

We gave him 15 for 1 year, the Spurs had him at 10 for 2. The Clips had offered 41 over 4. This was all before this season. This year he has outlying numbers in efficiency and points. He'd probably get around 22+ per year over 3 or 4 years. If we were a contending team it would be fine, but we aren't even close.

You can count on your fingers the amount of players who signed 4 or 3 yrs deals, you either have to be a all star(KD, kember, Kyrie)or a young promising all star(D russsel)

Think about how hard it has been to recruit really good players to NY.

I would give morris a 2 yr 36 mill deal to stay in NY this off season.. there isn't a contender that will have 20+ mill to give him, and he prefers to be close to his father

ES
nykshaknbake
1/20/2020  2:11 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

You can count on your fingers the amount of players who signed 4 or 3 yrs deals, you either have to be a all star(KD, kember, Kyrie)or a young promising all star(D russsel)

Think about how hard it has been to recruit really good players to NY.

I would give morris a 2 yr 36 mill deal to stay in NY this off season.. there isn't a contender that will have 20+ mill to give him, and he prefers to be close to his father

He'd be a steal at that money...I'd give him that contract.

MS
Member: #724
1/20/2020  7:05 PM
Have to move him.

He’s not getting us closer to anything. He’s having the best season of his career, get your asset chest ready for a trade for a real difference maker that fits within the Barrett, Mitch and this years lottery picks time line.

Nalod
USA
1/21/2020  9:56 AM
YOu don't sign him because of the past. You sign him because of what he is and brings to the table. What we don't know is who coaches this team and what is the schematic/culture.
Morris is having a banner year because we put him in that situation and he is doing great.
I agree that someone should make us an offer we can't refuse.
"Reports out of the F/O"......If Im them I play these cards close and let the bidding rise. While we can all sit here and say what we want we don't know who is offering what. Lakers and Clippers have gone in big and have little to trade in term of picks. You want an asset for 2-3 years down the road when its possible to resign Morris for next season? Risk losing him for nothing?
If Presti comes in and lets that happen we endorse that? Mills lets it happen we slam him. Mills can do no right until this team actually wins more than it loses.
I like Morris. He looks good because we suck.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/21/2020  11:58 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

When do you think we should start keeping guys like Morris? Real question. Agree that if he is leaving by the end of the year we have to get what ever we can for him. I know everyone keeps saying guys like Morris dont fit our timeline but that seems to change every year. Just thinking that if we keep trading guys like Morris for picks that only adds another 3 to 5 years to the timeline. Frustrating. Not claiming I know the answer but hoping the day comes when we are good enough that we start looking for ways to make the playoffs and not just add more pieces for yet another 3 to 5 year plan. Guess it is what it is.

depends on what the goal is right? Is the goal to field a team that can win a title? Or field a team that *should* make the playoffs?

If the goal is the win a chip you dont pay anyone at this stage that isnt a long term part of what you are building. The goal is to get top flight guys worth paying to compete for a title. Once we have those we can swim in the luxury tax paying role players who might help, but those guys (like Morris) are only worth it if you already have the core guys you are building around. We dont have a single one yet. RJ might be the closest but is totally untested/unproven. We have another nice prospect in Mitch. Knox/Frank/Trier/DSjr are total unknowns worth keeping and developing but again... unknowns.

What you dont want to do is pay guys to improve the team, then after a few seasons of 35-40 win seasons your draft picks stink and you are paying role players big money for a chance to play like two extra weeks when the post season starts.

The ideal financial path is to procure young talent and use cap space to build your roster before you gotta pay those kids.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/21/2020  12:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/21/2020  12:25 PM
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

depends on what the goal is right? Is the goal to field a team that can win a title? Or field a team that *should* make the playoffs?

If the goal is the win a chip you dont pay anyone at this stage that isnt a long term part of what you are building. The goal is to get top flight guys worth paying to compete for a title. Once we have those we can swim in the luxury tax paying role players who might help, but those guys (like Morris) are only worth it if you already have the core guys you are building around. We dont have a single one yet. RJ might be the closest but is totally untested/unproven. We have another nice prospect in Mitch. Knox/Frank/Trier/DSjr are total unknowns worth keeping and developing but again... unknowns.

What you dont want to do is pay guys to improve the team, then after a few seasons of 35-40 win seasons your draft picks stink and you are paying role players big money for a chance to play like two extra weeks when the post season starts.

The ideal financial path is to procure young talent and use cap space to build your roster before you gotta pay those kids.

Agree with most. Do not think you can just say "lets put together a chip winning team" though. That is hard to do with so many factors involved. Unless your talking bringing in two big superstars like LBJ, Kawai or KD to join the roster. And as we have seen, the Knicks are not attractive atm. Think first step is to go from laughing stock to putting together a playoff team. Feel we are close to doing so. (Not too hard considering as bad as we have played we are 6 games back in win column) Point is if we are on the verge with the roster that we have, mostly due to Randle, Morris, RJ and Payton, why not keep the two main pieces and make other adjustments? That would get us to first step and not exactly cost the kitchen sink. Secondly, think we start including some of our "What if's" for successful 24 to 28 year olds that teams may be getting rid of due to circumstances. Just don't think we can just keep getting rid of players and hoarding young picks/projects for the next 5 to 10 years. Don't see how that is progression. Now if we are talking about starphucking for a guy like Chris Paul or Russell Westbrook, then i am against any such move. But Morris will cost average for a solid team, wont need to be for 4 or 5 years and does not cost us any picks. Think he is worth keeping.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/21/2020  1:17 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Agree with most. Do not think you can just say "lets put together a chip winning team" though. That is hard to do with so many factors involved. Unless your talking bringing in two big superstars like LBJ, Kawai or KD to join the roster. And as we have seen, the Knicks are not attractive atm. Think first step is to go from laughing stock to putting together a playoff team. Feel we are close to doing so. (Not too hard considering as bad as we have played we are 6 games back in win column) Point is if we are on the verge with the roster that we have, mostly due to Randle, Morris, RJ and Payton, why not keep the two main pieces and make other adjustments? That would get us to first step and not exactly cost the kitchen sink. Secondly, think we start including some of our "What if's" for successful 24 to 28 year olds that teams may be getting rid of due to circumstances. Just don't think we can just keep getting rid of players and hoarding young picks/projects for the next 5 to 10 years. Don't see how that is progression. Now if we are talking about starphucking for a guy like Chris Paul or Russell Westbrook, then i am against any such move. But Morris will cost average for a solid team, wont need to be for 4 or 5 years and does not cost us any picks. Think he is worth keeping.

of course you cant. But you can look around the league at the elite teams and how they got there, as well as the mistakes other teams make.

Its not lost on anyone here its a stars league and very hard to compete and be elite without some elite players. Guys who are worth building a team and style of play around. Impact players. Guys you can lean on and ride to win games.

How does one acquire stars and impact players? Pretty straightforward history lesson here:
1) draft. This works best and needs little explanation. Of course luck helps. Picking really high in the draft also helps.
2) trade. Problem is this is not only costly but often requires your destination to be desirable. PG and AD were traded for 4-5 first rounders plus good young players. That is a massive price
3) buddy up. If you can gut your roster of most everything but rookie/cheap deals you can offer a spot where two max FAs can buddy up as we have seen in the past

Now... none of those 3 are easy to make happen, but NONE of them start with overpaying role players. They are the easier piece, especially when you have Dolan's checkbook.

Morris is a good player. Know who else is playing like a really good player? Averaging 16ppg on 47% shooting and 43% from downtown on a winning team? Tim Hardaway Jr. Since they made him a starter he's been great and they are playing really well. Phucking Timmy... you know why? Of you course you do, because Luka is a star and damn if he doesnt make other guys better.

The league is full of guys like THjr who got paid because they are good, but not good enough to move the needle. Otto Porter, Andre Drummond... hey, if we already had Ja Morant and Ayton in the fold then bring em on! We dont... we gotta get those guys first.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
If I’m Perry I’m not looking at contenders to trade Morris to

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy