If I’m Perry I’m not looking at contenders to trade Morris to
Author Thread
Sambakick
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5646

12/19/2019  12:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/19/2019  12:36 PM
Morris signed here.
Meaning he wants to be here.
So the idea of him walking away and us being left with nothing...
... hinges on us NOT paying to bring him back.

Once you pay the player that doesn't preclude you from trading him at a later date.
Unless it's an outrageous contract you're not stuck with Morris.
He will have value (barring serious injury) for the duration of his next deal.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

12/19/2019  12:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/20/2019  7:10 AM
Nalod wrote:
Chandler wrote:
OldFan wrote:I think on the big picture - Welpee makes the point many are overlooking; you can't count on building a future around players that are not signed for the future. There is a good chance that if we retain Morris we have NOTHING next year.

As far trading Morris to a non-contender it's a wonderful idea, but why would a non-contender be interested in a player who can walk next year?

there's a certain amount of irony in this. Please send this comment to Perry and Mills.

We did not obtain him via trade.

So what? read the bold

the point is whatever team may have their reasons (as supposedly and hopefully we had reason to be interested in him)

and to be fair i think he's playing great; i think we would be wise to consider selling high

(5)(5)
OldFan
Member: #446
12/19/2019  5:03 PM
Sambakick wrote:Morris signed here.

Once you pay the player that doesn't preclude you from trading him at a later date.

It really only means he wanted to play here this year.Here he is a primary scorer - a great place to build value. Next year circumstances are different - he may or may not want to play here and we are competing with all the other teams that are interested.

Sambakick
Member: #5646

12/19/2019  8:19 PM
OldFan wrote:

It really only means he wanted to play here this year.Here he is a primary scorer - a great place to build value. Next year circumstances are different - he may or may not want to play here and we are competing with all the other teams that are interested.

Will there be THAT many teams interested? If teams now are only willing to offer a late 1st round pick for him that doesn't sound like the free agent market will be that hot for his services.

I think a 4yr 80mil offer is what they're looking for and how many teams besides the Knicks would do that?

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

12/19/2019  9:40 PM
Sambakick wrote:
OldFan wrote:

Will there be THAT many teams interested? If teams now are only willing to offer a late 1st round pick for him that doesn't sound like the free agent market will be that hot for his services.

I think a 4yr 80mil offer is what they're looking for and how many teams besides the Knicks would do that?

SELL HIGH! If he turned down Pop, he'll turn his back on Perry/Mills. MPJR from Denver is a tantalizing piece. Build for the future, not tie ourselves down. 4yr 80mil is an opening salvo these days. Let's get that rookie contract and keep it movin'.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
Kemet
Member: #6148

12/19/2019  11:46 PM
Sangfroid wrote:
Sambakick wrote:
OldFan wrote:

SELL HIGH! If he turned down Pop, he'll turn his back on Perry/Mills. MPJR from Denver is a tantalizing piece. Build for the future, not tie ourselves down. 4yr 80mil is an opening salvo these days. Let's get that rookie contract and keep it movin'.

Morris 2-Way performance in lineups having RJ & Frank has been a big asset (mentor) in improving the two-guards chemistry performance. By midseason I see Coach Miller and Morris building a very big FAN base in MSG.
If Morris performance keep jelling in lineups, and the Knicks play .500 B.ball the remainder of the season .. Dolan better come down off the high horse to offer new coach Miller & Morris a long $$$ extension contract .. Like he did $$$ Melo !!!

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
12/20/2019  10:23 AM
Kemet wrote:
Sangfroid wrote:
Sambakick wrote:
OldFan wrote:

Morris 2-Way performance in lineups having RJ & Frank has been a big asset (mentor) in improving the two-guards chemistry performance. By midseason I see Coach Miller and Morris building a very big FAN base in MSG.
If Morris performance keep jelling in lineups, and the Knicks play .500 B.ball the remainder of the season .. Dolan better come down off the high horse to offer new coach Miller & Morris a long $$$ extension contract .. Like he did $$$ Melo !!!

Its contract year for Morris. So he absolutely focused on upping his value as much as possible.
And when season started he was going into ISO mode a lot to get his stats high and get into highlights and game interviews for league to notice.
But soon he realized that you cannot look good on team winning 10 games no matter what you do.
So he stopped all this shenanigans and toughness demonstrations and start playing smart team bbal.
He or his agent are smart and this is already a big plus.
They are aware that Knicks can pay for his services and so raze the bar for his FA campaign.
If we will not get any great offer for him (mid first plus good prospect) there is no point to trade him.
Somebody may need to dump bad contract or 2 and this will be a perfect situation for us.
If not he will hit the market and market will dictate the price. We can place an offer.
4x20 with 3rd year team option may be right on point for our time line.
I cannot see any issues with Morris regardless of how it will shape out.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/20/2019  10:33 AM
arkrud wrote:
Kemet wrote:
Sangfroid wrote:
Sambakick wrote:
OldFan wrote:

Its contract year for Morris. So he absolutely focused on upping his value as much as possible.
And when season started he was going into ISO mode a lot to get his stats high and get into highlights and game interviews for league to notice.
But soon he realized that you cannot look good on team winning 10 games no matter what you do.
So he stopped all this shenanigans and toughness demonstrations and start playing smart team bbal.
He or his agent are smart and this is already a big plus.
They are aware that Knicks can pay for his services and so raze the bar for his FA campaign.
If we will not get any great offer for him (mid first plus good prospect) there is no point to trade him.
Somebody may need to dump bad contract or 2 and this will be a perfect situation for us.
If not he will hit the market and market will dictate the price. We can place an offer.
4x20 with 3rd year team option may be right on point for our time line.
I cannot see any issues with Morris regardless of how it will shape out.

Morris was in a contract yr last yr and he played solid in BOSTON, no where near selfish.

His ISO's were more on Fiz and the PG, whenever you don't have a pg or system that can set up players, ISO becomes a normal thing

The only part of his game that's gotten better is his 3 point shooting, all the rest of his stats are pretty much the same, but now his starting as oppose to coming off the bench..

ES
smackeddog
Member: #883
12/27/2019  4:05 AM
I live in fear of Mills trading Morris, Portis and Ellington for Westbrook
shinmen
Member: #6029
France
12/27/2019  4:08 AM
smackeddog wrote:I live in fear of Mills trading Morris, Portis and Ellington for Westbrook

If Mills transforms Morris, Portis and Ellington into Westbrook, that's a holdup of the highest order. For all his faults and he has many, Westbrook makes a greater impact on the floor than those 3 combined.

ccch
Member: #3876

12/27/2019  10:07 AM
Knicks have a habit of acquiring terrible shooters. BB is not that complicated...look for a guy that can shoot first, and then look at the other tangibles. If you can't shoot coaching and effort doesn't matter.
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

12/27/2019  10:23 AM
I think whether or not trade Morris has to do with what we can on the market. I think you absolutely have to shop him. If the resigned him to a two or three year deal I would be fine with it. I just don't see Morris being here when the team his relevant again.. I do think that the best path forward is to put a bunch of people together with something to prove. Mike Miller is a great example of that
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
smackeddog
12/27/2019  10:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/27/2019  10:34 AM
shinmen wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I live in fear of Mills trading Morris, Portis and Ellington for Westbrook

If Mills transforms Morris, Portis and Ellington into Westbrook, that's a holdup of the highest order. For all his faults and he has many, Westbrook makes a greater impact on the floor than those 3 combined.

I actually like that trade for the Rockets- gets them out of Westbrook's salary, and gives them three three point shooters. Would hate it for us- Westbrooks salary is a monster now, imagine how bad it will be as he declines! he's due $47mil 2022-23 when he'll be 34, nothing worse than a volume scorer on decline

shinmen
France
12/27/2019  11:20 AM
smackeddog wrote:
shinmen wrote:

I actually like that trade for the Rockets- gets them out of Westbrook's salary, and gives them three three point shooters. Would hate it for us- Westbrooks salary is a monster now, imagine how bad it will be as he declines! he's due $47mil 2022-23 when he'll be 34, nothing worse than a volume scorer on decline

Wow, I did not think his salary was that much. Ok i take back what I've said.

smackeddog
12/27/2019  12:10 PM
shinmen wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
shinmen wrote:

It's one of the worst contracts in the league- $38mil this year, $41mil 2020-21, $44mil 2021-22 and $47mil 2022-23

knicks1248
Member: #582
12/27/2019  2:47 PM
smackeddog wrote:
shinmen wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
shinmen wrote:

It's one of the worst contracts in the league- $38mil this year, $41mil 2020-21, $44mil 2021-22 and $47mil 2022-23

People think CP3 and Westbrooks contracts are bad, but they are really not..Consider the fact that 4 yrs ago Melos' contract (124 Mill) seem crazy, now a slightly above avg player is getting that.

By the time they're in the last yr of their contract, it's only going to take two avg players in any trade, or they can be brought out.

There's no Horrible contracts in the NBA Today

ES
Welpee
Member: #6239

12/28/2019  6:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/28/2019  6:50 PM

Morris wanted to be here because he could pay him more than the Spurs. The reality is we can have any mid-level free agent we want as long as we're willing to overpay, not because there's some magic lure to playing for the Knicks.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/5/2020  11:00 PM
Didn’t know this:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
1/5/2020  11:07 PM
martin wrote:Didnt know this:

Wtf kind of arcane cabal is the NBA?!

shinmen
France
1/6/2020  4:38 AM
martin wrote:Didn’t know this:

Didn't either. I was all for extending him if he really wanted to stay but no way we should let him walk for nothing at the end of the year. We don't usually have many positive assets to trade.

If I’m Perry I’m not looking at contenders to trade Morris to

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy