[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

That was Fiba Frank
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/7/2019  9:39 AM
What he was doing on defense was elite. He looked like he was breaking out last night on both sides of the ball. Man him stepping up and owning the starting PG role would be amazing.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/7/2019  9:50 AM
Frank looked better, no doubt about that. Some of the shots he took, he wouldnt have in the past because he had just missed a shot seconds earlier. Kept firing away. In Frsnk's case, thats a good thing.

What I watched last night was a good backup, if Frank can sustain this level of performance. To be a full time starter, Id want to see him get to the line more, be able to go on runs when the rest of the team is putting up bricks, be able to pick up the slack. Dont believe Frank is there right now.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/7/2019  9:57 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Frank looked better, no doubt about that. Some of the shots he took, he wouldnt have in the past because he had just missed a shot seconds earlier. Kept firing away. In Frsnk's case, thats a good thing.

What I watched last night was a good backup, if Frank can sustain this level of performance. To be a full time starter, Id want to see him get to the line more, be able to go on runs when the rest of the team is putting up bricks, be able to pick up the slack. Dont believe Frank is there right now.

You are describing elite scoring PG.
Not every NBA team can get that.
Not rebuilding for sure as this will be a waste of his prime and waste of team money.
Once in blue moon this kind of PG can be a part of youth movement when came from the draft.
We did not draft PG in many years. So this is not about the Knicks.
Frank can start a couple of years until we will be good enough to trade for this kind of PG or better get him as FA.
Can be our final peace for contention if we will stick with the plan.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/7/2019  9:57 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Frank looked better, no doubt about that. Some of the shots he took, he wouldnt have in the past because he had just missed a shot seconds earlier. Kept firing away. In Frsnk's case, thats a good thing.

This! You nailed it in terms of what's required of the modern day lead guard. Attack, collapse the D and create for yourself and others at the same time have a respectable jumper. I'm not knocking Frank when I say this, but he is a back up guard at this point, particularly for this team that's thin on talent. With that said, last night is something to build on.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/7/2019  10:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/7/2019  10:07 AM

We all want to see frank be a HOF pg for the knicks. We all want to debate whether his career really was better than Clydes. Side to side, clyde was a junior in college at the same time.
All we doing is saying we are seeing incremental progress. Its obvious he and Payton make the offense flow better. In our best scenario DSjr takes this place, frank backs him up or they play together.
But Frank went to the basket, got to the line, made behind the back pass, and was elite defender. NO, he can't take over games yet. Few 21 year old PG's do. Clyde's rookie year was mixed. Frank was a long term pick who had an awful sophomore season. THis is where he should have been last year. I agree he would be a fantastic bench player on a great team. We are not even a good team. Let us Frank fans have just one day once in a while to be happy. Lord knows we have had our share of misery.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/7/2019  10:06 AM
Uptown wrote:

This! You nailed it in terms of what's required of the modern day lead guard. Attack, collapse the D and create for yourself and others at the same time have a respectable jumper. I'm not knocking Frank when I say this, but he is a back up guard at this point, particularly for this team that's thin on talent. With that said, last night is something to build on.

how many starting PGs in the league play D like that? Simmons and Patty Mills? Anyone else? He plays like that its starting material
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler

11/7/2019  10:06 AM
arkrud wrote:

Not rebuilding for sure as this will be a waste of his prime and waste of team money.
Once in blue moon this kind of PG can be a part of youth movement when came from the draft.
Frank can start a couple of years until we will be good enough to trade for this kind of PG or better get him as FA.

Totally reject the notion that only an elite PG can do this. Doesnt have to lead the team in scoring, but has to be a threat at the rim in crunch time. Be able to get to the line, because thats often where games are won. Frank ia not at the point where he can be that guy, nevermind consistently.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/7/2019  10:24 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Totally reject the notion that only an elite PG can do this. Doesnt have to lead the team in scoring, but has to be a threat at the rim in crunch time. Be able to get to the line, because thats often where games are won. Frank ia not at the point where he can be that guy, nevermind consistently.

The knicks don't have a finisher on the roster let alone Frank. Nobody is saying to give him the ball in last two minutes. But, if the defense dares him, he has to be at least average. And yes, he is not.

Most Frank convos have the word "If". "If he can......this", "If he can do that......" Last night you saw a bit more and more. That's all. We not asking for Baron Davis quite yet!!! LOL! That is our wishlist for Dennis! Frank we hope is Rubio but a better shooter. Rubio was an elite passer even as a rookie. Frank got that Defense thing. If not, He'd be toast.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/7/2019  10:25 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Please name a PG that is a threat at the rim in crunch time that is not an elite PG and can get to the line at will.

GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
11/7/2019  10:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/7/2019  10:28 AM
I think the Frank debate will end up bigger than any other debate ever.

My guess is that old school Knick fans like him more as he has more traditional PG skills now rather than the new modern scoring PG skills.

Yes, he needs to be even more agressive than he was last night - I beleive it will come!! Very few can defend like he can. FOr all that talk about D being most important, Frank is a critical part of that. He can set the tone but needs help. That is why RJ is good with him as is Dotson. DD can 3 and D. RJ creates his own and so can Trier. These are the type of players that need to surround Frank.

However, their front court is a defensive nightmare. Gibson can play D but get limited run. Portis and Randle are putrid. Morris tries. No Mitch - No interior D.

ITs about 2 way players and thye need to develop. Frank is in his 3rd year (end of 2nd really) - he needs to play and play and little by little improve his offense. It WILL COME.

He WANTS to defend!! He WANTS to MOVE THE BALL - OMG!! This is the player we want !!!! He can defend the 1-2-3 !!

NYKBocker
USA
11/7/2019  10:32 AM
Frank really is the perfect PG partner for RJ. RJ is ball dominant. If/When Frank gets that perimeter shot going in consistently then we are set.
houston20
Member: #8797

11/7/2019  10:43 AM
I give credit due frank played great last night but he has to do it more often not 1 out five games. Franks problem is just show solid production on regular basis it like one game he will score 2 points after scoring 10 points previous game.
GustavBahler

11/7/2019  10:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/7/2019  10:47 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Please name a PG that is a threat at the rim in crunch time that is not an elite PG and can get to the line at will.

With the exception of your "at will" comment, just on this team over the last 3-4 years. Id say almost every PG who has come through here, with the exception of Frank and Baker, has shown the ability to get to the line in crunch time.

Most of them arent here anymore because they couldnt do it consistently, thats why they didnt make it as a long term starter. Lack of defense made it hard to keep some of them as a backup.

Frank got to the line for the first time last night. Can go literally weeks without taking a FT. You guys make it sound like its no big thing. Its a very big thing. When you're talking about a lead PG you want to contend with down the road.

NYKBocker
USA
11/7/2019  11:06 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
arkrud wrote:

With the exception of your "at will" comment, just on this team over the last 3-4 years. Id say almost every PG who has come through here, with the exception of Frank and Baker, has shown the ability to get to the line in crunch time.

Most of them arent here anymore because they couldnt do it consistently, thats why they didnt make it as a long term starter. Lack of defense made it hard to keep some of them as a backup.

Frank got to the line for the first time last night. Can go literally weeks without taking a FT. You guys make it sound like its no big thing. Its a very big thing, when you're talking about a lead PG you want to contend with down the road.

My apologies to the "at will" comment. I thought that was implied. if that is the case then Frank is a threat at the rim like any other player. Now, can you quantify how much? Probably not but you can make your own assumptions. If you have the ball in your hand then you are a threat to take it to the rim. Question. When Frank has the ball...does the defender sag off? I have not seen anybody sag off Frank yet. That means Frank is a threat and the defense is still playing 5 on 5 and not the 4 on 5 people like to claim.

Frank got to the line for the first time last night. yes. he needs to do better. There are a lot of things he needs to get better at. To me this is all on the coach. Frank has shown that he can drive to the basket. Fizdale needs to take the ball away from Morris and Randle and trust that RJ and Frank can attack the basket.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/7/2019  11:14 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
arkrud wrote:

I agree with the original post.

The bolded part though, I agree with the notion. I can't say if Frank has the ability to do so or doesn't because the offense set up hasn't lent itself for him to do such.

Fiz could easily instead of having him pass the ball to the high post. Set up deep picks all the way at the top of the key, with proper spacing formations. Which would allow Frank tons of space to operate and make decisions.(How most teams who allow their PGs to work do it). We seem to have taken away all decision making and playmaking responsibilities from Frank when it gets to crunch time. He would have to break offense himself, and call his own number himself.

Its easy to sweep it under the rug as Frank just not having the ability. But I don't see any actual effort to groom this, at all. His handle improved drastically enough compared to the previous seasons to give him a chance to do so.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/7/2019  11:17 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Frank got to the line for the first time last night. Can go literally weeks without taking a FT. You guys make it sound like its no big thing. Its a very big thing, when you're talking about a lead PG you want to contend with down the road.

My apologies to the "at will" comment. I thought that was implied. if that is the case then Frank is a threat at the rim like any other player. Now, can you quantify how much? Probably not but you can make your own assumptions. If you have the ball in your hand then you are a threat to take it to the rim. Question. When Frank has the ball...does the defender sag off? I have not seen anybody sag off Frank yet. That means Frank is a threat and the defense is still playing 5 on 5 and not the 4 on 5 people like to claim.

Frank got to the line for the first time last night. yes. he needs to do better. There are a lot of things he needs to get better at. To me this is all on the coach. Frank has shown that he can drive to the basket. Fizdale needs to take the ball away from Morris and Randle and trust that RJ and Frank can attack the basket.

Exactly, its easy to pick on Frank due to his past transgressions. But FIBA Frank showed he can close as have Under18 tourny Frank. He has yet to be trusted and groomed.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/7/2019  11:34 AM
With more playing time Frank is only going to get better and better. With that said what is obvious is how the Knicks fall apart as soon as he leaves the game. Frank and MR anchor the Knicks defense and you can see it when one or both are out of the lineup.
Chandler
Member: #6197

11/7/2019  11:35 AM
Pulling for him

He can contribute and hope his production continues to grow

(5)(5)
NYKBocker
USA
11/7/2019  11:36 AM
Vmart wrote:With more playing time Frank is only going to get better and better. With that said what is obvious is how the Knicks fall apart as soon as he leaves the game. Frank and MR anchor the Knicks defense and you can see it when one or both are out of the lineup.

Yup. Frank and Mitch was huge. They went out and it all went to ****.

GustavBahler

11/7/2019  11:40 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Exactly, its easy to pick on Frank due to his past transgressions. But FIBA Frank showed he can close as have Under18 tourny Frank. He has yet to be trusted and groomed.

NBA Frank has to do a much better job of getting to the rim, or he isnt starter material. Cant attribute so few trips to the rim to just players sagging off him, doesnt have the ability to consistently beat guys off the dribble yet. Looks better this season, still looks like a backup, but a good one, if he can keep this up.

Offensively believe there is a lot more daylight between Frank and an elite scoring PG than is being suggested. Dont believe Frank should be penciled in as the future PG just yet. One good game isnt enough for me. Would have to see him play like this all season and get to the line regularly, like the average starting PG.

That was Fiba Frank

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy