[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Knicks are finally developing an identity
Author Thread
awe1028
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #2780

11/2/2019  7:37 PM
The Knicks are finally developing an identity - the defensive identity that is so obviously their strength.

The most common theme from these early games is just how improved the Knicks have been defensively. Developing an identity is the first step to becoming a good team and playing high level defense is clearly becoming their identity. This is something to get really excited about because as we all know defense wins championships. When was the last time you could say that about a Knicks team probably not since the Ewing Oakley heyday of the nineties. The main reason for this of course is Frank Ntilikina. This post is not really about Frank I just love the guy and like to sing his praises after the bashing he has taken .

But back to the point. The Knicks defense is good and it is only going to get better as players like RJ and even Mitch (cutting down on the fouls) get better. Even Double K (Kevin Knox) is showing some defensive chops.

The losing is good too because though the Knicks have clearly improved they need another piece to get to that next level. Getting to pick at the top of the draft affords them the chance to get that piece.

My biggest fear is with vets like Morris, Randle Portis etc the Knicks are going to win their fair share of games and miss out on that stud piece at the top of the draft. But for know I'll enjoy what I am seeing the development of the kids while at the same time losing enough to pick at the top of the draft win win.

By the way I know it is way too early but if I had the pick at the top of the draft right now the guy I am taking is James Wiseman. Imagine him and Mitch is the front court with Frank and RJ in the back court. The defense on this team wow. And the best part Wiseman has 2 way potential so if he continues to develop his shot he would fit nicely with Mitch - no spacing problems like we have for example with Randle.

This is a good time to be a Knick fan watching these kids develop. Lets hope Pills and Fiz do not screw this up.

AUTOADVERT
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
11/9/2019  6:52 AM
It's such a great feeling to field a team that plays D. We have two way promising young players that are cornerstones of our franchise right now. Mitch, Frank and RJ all play good to spectacular defense. That's our big 3 right there. Add to that our excellent pickup in Morris...and I am being serious.
How do we win? We win by valuing possessions. Need to cut down on turnovers and make them free throws. A pretty standard checklist for a young team.
Let me say again how much I appreciate Morris. He is our best signing this offseason. Plays spirited D and is a great shooter and he is passing the 🏀 too
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/9/2019  2:43 PM
awe1028 wrote:The Knicks are finally developing an identity - the defensive identity that is so obviously their strength.

The most common theme from these early games is just how improved the Knicks have been defensively. Developing an identity is the first step to becoming a good team and playing high level defense is clearly becoming their identity. This is something to get really excited about because as we all know defense wins championships. When was the last time you could say that about a Knicks team probably not since the Ewing Oakley heyday of the nineties. The main reason for this of course is Frank Ntilikina. This post is not really about Frank I just love the guy and like to sing his praises after the bashing he has taken .

But back to the point. The Knicks defense is good and it is only going to get better as players like RJ and even Mitch (cutting down on the fouls) get better. Even Double K (Kevin Knox) is showing some defensive chops.

The losing is good too because though the Knicks have clearly improved they need another piece to get to that next level. Getting to pick at the top of the draft affords them the chance to get that piece.

My biggest fear is with vets like Morris, Randle Portis etc the Knicks are going to win their fair share of games and miss out on that stud piece at the top of the draft. But for know I'll enjoy what I am seeing the development of the kids while at the same time losing enough to pick at the top of the draft win win.

By the way I know it is way too early but if I had the pick at the top of the draft right now the guy I am taking is James Wiseman. Imagine him and Mitch is the front court with Frank and RJ in the back court. The defense on this team wow. And the best part Wiseman has 2 way potential so if he continues to develop his shot he would fit nicely with Mitch - no spacing problems like we have for example with Randle.

This is a good time to be a Knick fan watching these kids develop. Lets hope Pills and Fiz do not screw this up.

The NBA is going to fix the number 1 pick to Golden State

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq

11/9/2019  2:46 PM
ramtour420 wrote:It's such a great feeling to field a team that plays D. We have two way promising young players that are cornerstones of our franchise right now. Mitch, Frank and RJ all play good to spectacular defense. That's our big 3 right there. Add to that our excellent pickup in Morris...and I am being serious.
How do we win? We win by valuing possessions. Need to cut down on turnovers and make them free throws. A pretty standard checklist for a young team.
Let me say again how much I appreciate Morris. He is our best signing this offseason. Plays spirited D and is a great shooter and he is passing the 🏀 too

That is not a big 3. I'm not saying they can't all be rotation players but we don't have any player close to All NBA level. Its going to take at least 1 for this team to compete

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/9/2019  2:59 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
ramtour420 wrote:It's such a great feeling to field a team that plays D. We have two way promising young players that are cornerstones of our franchise right now. Mitch, Frank and RJ all play good to spectacular defense. That's our big 3 right there. Add to that our excellent pickup in Morris...and I am being serious.

That is not a big 3. I'm not saying they can't all be rotation players but we don't have any player close to All NBA level. Its going to take at least 1 for this team to compete

Gig 3 hope...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/9/2019  3:21 PM
RJ is the only potential 1 of big 3. Mitch and Frank I like as elite role players.

C Mitch
F Star scorer/shooter
F Star scorer/shooter
G Barrett
G Frank

That would have to be the blueprint.

TPercy
Member: #5748

11/9/2019  3:36 PM
Knixkik wrote:RJ is the only potential 1 of big 3. Mitch and Frank I like as elite role players.

C Mitch
F Star scorer/shooter
F Star scorer/shooter
G Barrett
G Frank

I think we are calling Frank as a surefire starter too soon. If he is doing what he doing now by all star break I'll believe it. I really hope so though.
The Future is Bright!
fwk00
Member: #6048

11/9/2019  4:43 PM
We have more than three but three are showing in the current moment. We are talking about the first baby steps though. These guys have a year or two to go to become the pros from Dover.
OjilEye
Member: #3017
USA
11/9/2019  5:18 PM
TPercy wrote:
Knixkik wrote:RJ is the only potential 1 of big 3. Mitch and Frank I like as elite role players.

C Mitch
F Star scorer/shooter
F Star scorer/shooter
G Barrett
G Frank

I think we are calling Frank as a surefire starter too soon. If he is doing what he doing now by all star break I'll believe it. I really hope so though.

Surefire starter for an improved team, maybe a bottom playoff seed, but if we really want a meaningful championship shot, we need to see a larger sample size and consistency from Frank. Hoping he can be a Tony Parker / Kawhi-esque player in 2 years but ... it's been like 2-3 games of him playing well. Let's not overreact

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/9/2019  5:32 PM
TPercy wrote:

C Mitch
F Star scorer/shooter
F Star scorer/shooter
G Barrett
G Frank

Yeah I don’t think he’s there by any means. Call it more hope or in a perfect world.

TPercy
Member: #5748

11/9/2019  6:35 PM
OjilEye wrote:
TPercy wrote:

C Mitch
F Star scorer/shooter
F Star scorer/shooter
G Barrett
G Frank

Surefire starter for an improved team, maybe a bottom playoff seed, but if we really want a meaningful championship shot, we need to see a larger sample size and consistency from Frank. Hoping he can be a Tony Parker / Kawhi-esque player in 2 years but ... it's been like 2-3 games of him playing well. Let's not overreact

I don't even think he needs to be as good as Parker/Kawhi. The way I see it, if we can get 12/7/5 numbers from him night in night out with a more diverse offense and his all NBA defense he easily be a starter on any team. Given what he brings on defense, we don't need allstar level offense from Frank as long as its consistent and credible. But I agree that we need to see more.

The Future is Bright!
Jmpasq

11/9/2019  6:39 PM

C Mitch
F Star scorer/shooter
F Star scorer/shooter
G Barrett
G Frank

Yeah your missing the 2 most difficult pieces to get. I think Barrett could be pretty good but he wont touch Doncic and Dallas is a borderline playoff team. This team has so far to go. We need to win the lottery this year.
CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

11/9/2019  7:34 PM
Folks are discounting the future development of Knox.

His 3 pt shot is looking a lot better, and I think he's been a better on D, though he still has a lot to learn. He's still a kid, and none of us have any idea how he will look at age 24.

You can never know how players will grow, but Knox has some talent with a growing body and room

Frank is 21 and still maturing and developing.

Knox is 20, and still maturing and learning.

Barrett is 19, and still maturing and developing as a player.

Mitch is only 21 and learning.

Smith turns 22 later in the month, and he has a lot of talent, even though he's going through some tough times now.

We have some other young players who have a chance to develop.

You just don't know how guys this young will turn out down the road.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
awe1028

11/9/2019  11:40 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
awe1028 wrote:The Knicks are finally developing an identity - the defensive identity that is so obviously their strength.

The NBA is going to fix the number 1 pick to Golden State

There are 3 to 5 pretty good players in the draft so the Knicks do not necessarily need the top pick to get a nice piece. My main concern is that the way Frank is playing and with the vets they brought in unnecessarily they may win too much and take themselves out of the running for that other piece.

awe1028

11/9/2019  11:52 PM
CleaverGreene wrote:Folks are discounting the future development of Knox.

His 3 pt shot is looking a lot better, and I think he's been a better on D, though he still has a lot to learn. He's still a kid, and none of us have any idea how he will look at age 24.

You can never know how players will grow, but Knox has some talent with a growing body and room

Smith turns 22 later in the month, and he has a lot of talent, even though he's going through some tough times now.

This!!! Especially the bold. In one year look how well Knox we don't how much better he will look with another year of development under his belt

People trashed frank and look at him now that he has finally been given the chance to play. We also don't know how he will look next year with this year of development.

However the Knicks do need another piece. Losing someone like KP with his big shot making ability is really what the knicks need to take the next step. Lets hope they can get that in the upcoming draft.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
11/10/2019  9:30 AM
CleaverGreene wrote:Folks are discounting the future development of Knox.

Good post!

This is a reminder that we must be patient. The thing is that what is needed NOW is a developmental coaching staff. They need to show improvement. Especially the young players.

And as you say the team needs the identity. With Morrs, Mitch, RJ, Frank, TAJ and DD you have defensive minded players. Fiz needs to instill it in the rest of the team. Fri night was a great start. Knox needs it especially as he can be a force offensively but just needs to be at least an average defender not below.

Randle...well - he needs to just stop dribbling!

The Knicks are finally developing an identity

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy