[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How do you build around Barrett ?
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
11/2/2019  12:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2019  12:15 PM
I think we sort of know what we have with him now. We have to get this right and make sure we put him in a situation to succeed. I don’t think PG is the biggest issue. The lack of shooters is. Ellington, Knox, Portis, and Morris can all make shots, but none of them are the pure shooters we need in the lineup. We need to identify players who fit alongside Barrett in the starting lineup and can make life easier for him. Too bad Buddy Hield is locked up. But Bogdanovic might be available. Another couple of guys who will be free agents are Joe Harris and Bryne Forbes. Should we try to steal one of them? I think at this point with our commitment towards Barrett, Randle, and Mitch already , adding anyone to the roster that isn’t an above average 3pt shooter is not smart. I like our bench of Portis, Knox, and Ellington. All guys who can get on a roll from the outside. But we need to find quality role players who can start alongside Barrett and give him the spacing he needs. Thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/2/2019  12:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2019  12:56 PM
Build around Barrett?

1. Keep doing what we are doing. It will add up.
2. Progress will get Gianiss Woke. My guess is by next season Bucks will insist him to commit or submitt list of teams he'd commit to. The AD-Melo playbook move. Bucks don't want to walk away empty handed. Gianiss has to weight injury risk vs. destination. He can tell them "No guarantee" and pull a KP. Lowers his value but he does not commit to who trades for him. BTW, low starphuch probability here but you have to have trade assets and cap space to even be in the conversation. We might get there.
3. Mitch is a bit "ShakY" but it looksl ike they are asking him to do more. THis is a big key.
4. Who we draft this spring. Best player might be PG, center, PF. Who knows. Excess either expires are is traded. Now the rebuild starts to mount. Tear down, youth, asset accumulaton and then you start with asset consolidation. This is the fun part. Boston had some nice teasers the last few years. Crowder and Isiah, Then used them for Kyrie Trade.....Etc. Philly got Jimmy Butler.
5. Barrett looks like Gordan Haywoodish. Good passer, can play three positions. Gordon was a better shooter younger but became a better Finisher as he filled out. Kid is big now. He lost two seasons and just beginning to return to form. Both are complete players. Barrett is going to be good. RJ build is very different than 19 year old Haywood was. The trajecotry is said is current snapshot, not where I think Barrett will be.
6. We have all our picks plus Dallas's. Excess assets. Someone will come a knocking.
7. For this seaosn I'd like to see DSjr finish strong and Frank establish his position as our best PG. I like RJ long term at the 2 or three. Elite 3's can play either and it don't matter. WE draft a Trae Young/Morant type with upside thats fine. Dennis likley gets made gone and until Frank shows much more on offense he either becomes that dudes wingman or good solid player off the bench.
8. Winning.

Knixkik
USA
11/2/2019  1:01 PM
Nalod wrote:Build around Barrett?

2. Progress will get Gianiss Woke. My guess is by next season Bucks will insist him to commit or submitt list of teams he'd commit to. The AD-Melo playbook move. Bucks don't want to walk away empty handed. Gianiss has to weight injury risk vs. destination. He can tell them "No guarantee" and pull a KP. Lowers his value but he does not commit to who trades for him. BTW, low starphuch probability here but you have to have trade assets and cap space to even be in the conversation. We might get there.
3. Mitch is a bit "ShakY" but it looksl ike they are asking him to do more. THis is a big key.
4. Who we draft this spring. Best player might be PG, center, PF. Who knows. Excess either expires are is traded. Now the rebuild starts to mount. Tear down, youth, asset accumulaton and then you start with asset consolidation. This is the fun part. Boston had some nice teasers the last few years. Crowder and Isiah, Then used them for Kyrie Trade.....Etc. Philly got Jimmy Butler.

The problem is we are just acquiring talent without a real plan for fit. That’s fine for now but Eventually we have to focus on fit so the pieces look good together. Whatever games we win this year will be because we added a few decent players capable of winning some games. But I’m thinking of the next phase. How do we bring it together and make it look good together instead of just blindly accumulating talent wherever available? That will be the key to turning Barrett into a star. Milwaukee is a perfect example of how to build around their lone superstar.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/2/2019  1:35 PM
It will be interesting to see how Bullock comes back from neck fusion surgery. He may not ever be the player he was but if he can get back it would be a big help having another shooter. I like the idea of adding Harris. I don’t know where the Nets are cap wise but they did just commit money to Prince so he might be available.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Knixkik
USA
11/2/2019  1:42 PM
CrushAlot wrote:It will be interesting to see how Bullock comes back from neck fusion surgery. He may not ever be the player he was but if he can get back it would be a big help having another shooter. I like the idea of adding Harris. I don’t know where the Nets are cap wise but they did just commit money to Prince so he might be available.

I assume the nets will try to keep him but they have a lot of money tied up in their current core. We can’t just offer short term contracts forever. At some point we need to make a commitment that moves the needle and a shooter like Harris can do that. As long as we maintain flexibility overall then it’s fine.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/2/2019  2:03 PM
Knixkik wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:It will be interesting to see how Bullock comes back from neck fusion surgery. He may not ever be the player he was but if he can get back it would be a big help having another shooter. I like the idea of adding Harris. I don’t know where the Nets are cap wise but they did just commit money to Prince so he might be available.

I assume the nets will try to keep him but they have a lot of money tied up in their current core. We can’t just offer short term contracts forever. At some point we need to make a commitment that moves the needle and a shooter like Harris can do that. As long as we maintain flexibility overall then it’s fine.

is Harris a SG? I understand shooters but that's RJ's position. Guy just turned 28 so will be 29 at beginning of next season wanting a 4 year deal. That doesn't sound like the ideal candidate

I'd want to make a commitment to move the needle but you grab the high quality players first and then fit pieces around them. Harris to me is not a high quality player, he's a fit player you get after

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
USA
11/2/2019  2:27 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

is Harris a SG? I understand shooters but that's RJ's position. Guy just turned 28 so will be 29 at beginning of next season wanting a 4 year deal. That doesn't sound like the ideal candidate

I'd want to make a commitment to move the needle but you grab the high quality players first and then fit pieces around them. Harris to me is not a high quality player, he's a fit player you get after

He’s playing SF this year. He’s just a wing and probably a top 3 shooter in the league. At age 29 he’s worth a 4 year deal and should age very well. I consider him a high level role player. Basically a taller Redick.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/2/2019  5:39 PM
here is one thing - we need to stop playing him 37+ minutes every game. I know he is young, and a star. But, his best years are ahead of him. Lets not have him get hurt, develop bad habits and hit the rookie wall so he starts playing poorly.

But, yea- I think RJ answers the question who is playing SG for the next 5-10+ years for us.

And, we should also not try to have him play PG. He has great playmaking skills, and I don't mind some time at PG to improve them, too much could mess him up.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/2/2019  7:37 PM
Knixkik wrote:I think we sort of know what we have with him now. We have to get this right and make sure we put him in a situation to succeed. I don’t think PG is the biggest issue. The lack of shooters is. Ellington, Knox, Portis, and Morris can all make shots, but none of them are the pure shooters we need in the lineup. We need to identify players who fit alongside Barrett in the starting lineup and can make life easier for him. Too bad Buddy Hield is locked up. But Bogdanovic might be available. Another couple of guys who will be free agents are Joe Harris and Bryne Forbes. Should we try to steal one of them? I think at this point with our commitment towards Barrett, Randle, and Mitch already , adding anyone to the roster that isn’t an above average 3pt shooter is not smart. I like our bench of Portis, Knox, and Ellington. All guys who can get on a roll from the outside. But we need to find quality role players who can start alongside Barrett and give him the spacing he needs. Thoughts?

Yep Hield would of been a fantastic fit. Randle and Mitch don't work togther. Randle has a dinosaur game, now we are stuck with him for another year.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
11/2/2019  7:46 PM
Frank is a good fit next to Barrett. The two play good defense together. Knicks need to keep building up Frank's confidence, and Frank needs to focus on getting lift on this three pointers.

Knox too will fit next to Barrett. We really have the team we need. We just need Knox, Mitch, and Frank to get better and stronger. This same team, 3 years in the future, will be a playoff squad.

Trust the Process
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

11/2/2019  9:48 PM
You don't. Based on his current play I'd say his ceiling is as a secondary scorer on a good playoff team.
The Future is Bright!
Knixkik
USA
11/2/2019  9:55 PM
TPercy wrote:You don't. Based on his current play I'd say his ceiling is as a secondary scorer on a good playoff team.

If so that’s fine. But he will have the ball in his hands and be our best player for the foreseeable future. A guy doesn’t have to be a number one scorer to be built around.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/2/2019  10:21 PM
Knixkik wrote:
TPercy wrote:You don't. Based on his current play I'd say his ceiling is as a secondary scorer on a good playoff team.

If so that’s fine. But he will have the ball in his hands and be our best player for the foreseeable future. A guy doesn’t have to be a number one scorer to be built around.

This. If he gets his free throw percentage up to 70 he is at 19 pts a game as a rook. He shot 66% in college so that seems like a number he can hit. I was worried about RJ after his summer league performance but he put in the work and was a much better player when the regular season started. I think he will keep improving. He definitely looks like a guy that is a franchise cornerstone for the next 10-12 years.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
11/3/2019  7:17 AM
It seems like he is a great option as the ball handler in PnR. We got a couple of great finishers that can be great roll men in Randle and Mitch. This should cut Randles turnovers and allowMitch to feast with the vertical threat. In the current small ball ,3 point happy NBA having RJ as the ball handler will allow him to see over the top of a lot of the coverage as well. Here are some examples

Next would be to continue to surround him with TWO-WAY shooters. Morris fits the bill perfectly , as do Knox and Frank. They both have shown the ability to be a threat on both ends of the court. Dotson is another guy that can provide both Offense and D. Portis has been abysmal from behind the arc this year but he could be another piece. Ellington too in limited doses.

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/3/2019  7:20 AM

5. Barrett looks like Gordan Haywoodish. Good passer, can play three positions. Gordon was a better shooter younger but became a better Finisher as he filled out. Kid is big now. He lost two seasons and just beginning to return to form. Both are complete players. Barrett is going to be good. RJ build is very different than 19 year old Haywood was. The trajecotry is said is current snapshot, not where I think Barrett will be.
6. We have all our picks plus Dallas's. Excess assets. Someone will come a knocking.
7. For this seaosn I'd like to see DSjr finish strong and Frank establish his position as our best PG. I like RJ long term at the 2 or three. Elite 3's can play either and it don't matter. WE draft a Trae Young/Morant type with upside thats fine. Dennis likley gets made gone and until Frank shows much more on offense he either becomes that dudes wingman or good solid player off the bench.
8. Winning.

The Dallas picks will be in the low 20's. Doncic is very good he will have that team in the top 5 in the West

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/3/2019  10:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/3/2019  10:39 AM
Jmpasq wrote:

8. Winning.

The Dallas picks will be in the low 20's. Doncic is very good he will have that team in the top 5 in the West

Watched the game Friday night against Lakers they lost in OT at home. KP had a decent night but low Shooting %. He camps out at the top of the key, or 3 pt territory and takes silly long shots. last two minutes and into OT they did not really even look for him. The few shots he took he missed badly. He does crash the boards for those great put backs but there was none. This version of KP looked very much like what we had in NY. His handle is good for a man his size and he can defend the rim. He is no doubt larger too.
Luka is the real deal. I’m not sold on them being a top team until KP starts to finish games. 5 games in, way too early to determine.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/3/2019  11:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/3/2019  11:31 AM

That could end up being the case as far as scoring, but aside from Barrett's FT shooting, there is more to his game than buckets. Has shown he can be one of the leading scorers on a nightly basis.

Barrett might get psyched after a big play, but he's a very cool customer during the game. Very economical in his movement. Hopefully a PG will start who can bring a more high octane game, as a counterpoint to Barrett's game. Hope Smith jr can right himself and be that guy. Believe they would make a hell of a one two punch. If not DSJr, another PG with an extra gear.

Knixkik
USA
11/3/2019  11:50 AM
GustavBahler wrote:

That could end up being the case as far as scoring, but aside from Barrett's FT shooting, there is more to his game than buckets. Has shown he can be one of the leading scorers on a nightly basis.

Barrett might get psyched after a big play, but he's a very cool customer during the game. Very economical in his movement. Hopefully a PG will start who can bring a more high octane game, as a counterpoint to Barrett's game. Hope Smith jr can right himself and be that guy. Believe they would make a hell of a one two punch. If not DSJr, another PG with an extra gear.

Hopefully the knicks find another big scorer along the way. Barrett may not be that guy but he looks like he will develop into a complete player which is more important.

Knixkik
USA
11/3/2019  11:52 AM
Jmpasq wrote:

8. Winning.

You think he will by next year ? That seems like a lot considering KP needs to prove capable of playing a full season and there isn’t much else on the roster other than complimentary players.

TPercy
Member: #5748

11/3/2019  12:27 PM
All made good points but I guess what I was trying to say is that its not necessarily about building a team around a particular player, especially if that players ins't going to be our main producer, but more about building a quality team that meshes well together. Right now going forward as we look to establish a good playoff team ,I anticipate we have:

PG
Barrett
SF
Randle( His play right now is terrible but as the season progresses I think he is going to be of great value)
Robinson

PG
Trier(Could change but I think he can definitely cut it here long term)
Knox
PF(maybe Portis but Idk)
C

As it stands, we clearly need more starting caliber shooting, A main scorer, much better PG play, and possibly more defenders coming off the bench. Of course this can all change( Frank and DsJ could pan out, Randle might not cut it here etc..).

The Future is Bright!
How do you build around Barrett ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy