11/1/2019  3:43 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:Whos is going to back him up...Trier?

Probably RJ....It's Zos turn in the dog house apparently

Was said in an article that he was going to go with RJ and Ellington but decided to go with Frank due to his success against Kemba. Not a bad move considering Kemba scored 32 last game. Would assume RJ moves to starting at SG. So hard for him to back up at PG initially. Interesting to see who he picks.

I get going with Frank, but I wish Fiz would stop pulling guys in and out of the rotation. Difficult to get a good rhythm going when you play one game then miss the next 2-3 etc.

If offense looks like it needs a spark he def shouldnt hesitate to insert Trier. He is one of the few that can get deep into the paint. Better option than a Morris Iso mid-range pull up.

Zo should have never been pulled from the rotation in the first place. He had a great game against the Nets, 22 pts on 6-7 shooting. He was off in the next game then banished to the bench for the next 2 while Ellington throws up one brick after the next. At some point, Fiz needs to find consistent mins for our core young group.

I understand the box score tells a story. But what is it that Fiz and the players who spend endless times practicing and traveling together might know what we don't? We assume Fiz is just pulling guys out when they have a bad shooting game or is it following a game plan? Defensive/offensive assignments? is the player hesitant, not instinctive or plain brain dead? Before I blast the coach or the player I ask myself what can this be? What might be really eating at Fiz regarding Trier? Im thinking its defense and you mess up your mates look bad. You lose your lockerroom if you don't proactively seek remedy.

Regarding Trier, he was pulled after just a few minutes as a starter. Wonder if how he reacted on the bench played a part? Something that got the coaching staff's attention? Otherwise its seems arbitrary and counterprodutive. Hard for a player to understsnd their role, under those circumstances.

The rotations a mirroring last yrs tank season

ES
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/1/2019  4:08 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Was said in an article that he was going to go with RJ and Ellington but decided to go with Frank due to his success against Kemba. Not a bad move considering Kemba scored 32 last game. Would assume RJ moves to starting at SG. So hard for him to back up at PG initially. Interesting to see who he picks.

I get going with Frank, but I wish Fiz would stop pulling guys in and out of the rotation. Difficult to get a good rhythm going when you play one game then miss the next 2-3 etc.

If offense looks like it needs a spark he def shouldnt hesitate to insert Trier. He is one of the few that can get deep into the paint. Better option than a Morris Iso mid-range pull up.

Zo should have never been pulled from the rotation in the first place. He had a great game against the Nets, 22 pts on 6-7 shooting. He was off in the next game then banished to the bench for the next 2 while Ellington throws up one brick after the next. At some point, Fiz needs to find consistent mins for our core young group.

I understand the box score tells a story. But what is it that Fiz and the players who spend endless times practicing and traveling together might know what we don't? We assume Fiz is just pulling guys out when they have a bad shooting game or is it following a game plan? Defensive/offensive assignments? is the player hesitant, not instinctive or plain brain dead? Before I blast the coach or the player I ask myself what can this be? What might be really eating at Fiz regarding Trier? Im thinking its defense and you mess up your mates look bad. You lose your lockerroom if you don't proactively seek remedy.

Regarding Trier, he was pulled after just a few minutes as a starter. Wonder if how he reacted on the bench played a part? Something that got the coaching staff's attention? Otherwise its seems arbitrary and counterprodutive. Hard for a player to understsnd their role, under those circumstances.

Do you view it as simple as that? Player gets a few minutes and gets pulled and that's that?

Coaches don't really have an outline of a gameplan and expectations of what each player should be doing at any time?

And when they get pulled there is no watching game tape and explanation of what went wrong and what players should be doing?

Just pull a guy and let them wonder on the bench?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/1/2019  4:34 PM
Vmart wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:I would go with Trier as back up PG. This way Kemba expends a lot of energy when Frank is guarding him and he expends a lot of energy guarding Trier on the defensive end when Trier is in the game.

Maybe Fiz experiments with Mitch running the point he's the only one left he hasn't tried there..lol

Initiation of offense is one of the most important aspect of basketball. It’s almost a criteria for organized basketball. I’m with you when it comes to players bring up the basketball. I don’t think Morris should bring the basketball because there is almost 60% chance he is going iso. Randle is more a willing passer and has propensity for turning the ball over. When anyone brings the ball up it screams no system and improvisation and There are only so many possessions in a game.

I agree with almost everything, except the no system comment.

What you are seeing is this push for positionless basketball. And Fitz didn't start this, but he's pushing it. If you look around the league, there's lots of bigs bringing the ball up. PGs are like centers....they are on the endangered species list. PGs are the first to go.
Plus
Fitz wants more posesions and speed and push the ball. So eventhough I agree that a single PG, like how basketball used to be, is better for the game. It's not todays game.

In todays game, we need players with low turnover IQ bigs, with PG skills and a 3pt shot like Curry. Oh, he has to be coachable, likeable and never get injured. Oh unselfish and selfish at the same time. LMAO. I couldn't create a player on 2k19 that nice. It's an impossible dream we are searching for.

I've said this before, finding a rotation that wins games and not afraid to sit or not sit certain players like Morris and RJ for example, is the key to Fitz career as a knick. He's already showing signs of someone that doesn't have total control of the roster addition or management. If he did, it wouldn't take him this long.

I think there are internal struggles between Perry's guys vs Fitz system.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/1/2019  4:51 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Bet you he wont bench RJ, morris or randle after his bad game, or pull them from the starting line up.

Remember when you used to whine about fiz not being accountable? Benching players for either lack of effort and adhering to a team game plan is just that.

If he did not change line ups you'd call him "inflexible". What your seeing is Fiz asking his players to move the ball and play defense in the way he wants it.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/1/2019  4:54 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Do you view it as simple as that? Player gets a few minutes and gets pulled and that's that?

Coaches don't really have an outline of a gameplan and expectations of what each player should be doing at any time?

And when they get pulled there is no watching game tape and explanation of what went wrong and what players should be doing?

The main thing I can think of with Trier getting taken out is that his style doesn't really generate any real offensive flow for the team.

But there are times when the team is just desperate for someone to get a bucket as well.

Just a guess, but Fiz may be holding Trier accountable. Demanding he mold his game to be more team friendly.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
martin
USA
11/1/2019  5:06 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:

The main thing I can think of with Trier getting taken out is that his style doesn't really generate any real offensive flow for the team.

But there are times when the team is just desperate for someone to get a bucket as well.

Just a guess, but Fiz may be holding Trier accountable. Demanding he mold his game to be more team friendly.

I agree.

Trier can be a special 6th man. Shooter, penetrator. Gotta learn when to give up the ball and he MUST play defense and do the other small things.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/1/2019  8:23 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:

First and foremost, I coach as well so I understand that coaches have expectations, game plans and closed practices that we do not have access to. That goes without saying. The same can be said to all the fans whining about Franks lack of playing time! Or why aint Morris getting pulled from the starting line up? We dont know whats going on behind the scenes. As fans on a forum, we just try and put 2 and 2 together to make sense of things...Zo, one of our young core peices getting 3 straight DNP's from the outside looking in is a head scratcher...

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/1/2019  10:09 PM
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:Very good move by Fizdale. Things are looking up for “Mr. Optimistic”.
haha! Vmart stamp of approval! I believe Mr. Optimistic is rubbing off on you

As long as he does the right thing I have no problem. He is a bit slow and needs to be directed towards good moves. Next move is start Knox and have Morris come off the bench.

What has Knox done to totally supplant Morris as a starter?

Good thing Morris started tonight.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
martin
USA
11/1/2019  11:54 PM
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:

First and foremost, I coach as well so I understand that coaches have expectations, game plans and closed practices that we do not have access to. That goes without saying. The same can be said to all the fans whining about Franks lack of playing time! Or why aint Morris getting pulled from the starting line up? We dont know whats going on behind the scenes. As fans on a forum, we just try and put 2 and 2 together to make sense of things...Zo, one of our young core peices getting 3 straight DNP's from the outside looking in is a head scratcher...

You a coach, give us your breakdown of Trier’s game if you’ve been able to watch and make a guess why he is sitting.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/2/2019  1:04 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:Very good move by Fizdale. Things are looking up for “Mr. Optimistic”.

As long as he does the right thing I have no problem. He is a bit slow and needs to be directed towards good moves. Next move is start Knox and have Morris come off the bench.

He had a good game. As did Knox.

HofstraBBall

11/2/2019  8:57 AM
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Actually think Morris had a great game and shot a ridiculous 63% from 3.. Knox had an OK game and shot 29% from 3. Point is, that's why its short sighted to bench one of your big FA signings who has had several years of production for a second year kid that is still trying to get his bearings.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/2/2019  9:06 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Actually think Morris had a great game and shot a ridiculous 63% from 3.. Knox had an OK game and shot 29% from 3. Point is, that's why its short sighted to bench one of your big FA signings who has had several years of production for a second year kid that is still trying to get his bearings.

Also, guys covering the Celtics raved about Morris being a team leader and a professional during his time there. Fiz is now saying the same thing. I think having him play and practice with this young squad is very valuable
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Uptown

11/2/2019  9:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2019  9:57 AM
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:

You a coach, give us your breakdown of Trier’s game if you’ve been able to watch and make a guess why he is sitting.

I'll give you 3 things that I've noticed and i'm sure its not much different than most of us Knick fans.

1. First the obvious. The ball tends to stick with Zo on the offensive end. To Fiz's credit, he has been preaching more ball movement and its not all talk as I've noticed better ball and body movement over the last 2 games. I think Zo has been trying to adhere to Fiz, but he still likes to massage the ball a little bit. With that said, most 6th men tend to play the game this way which is why they are 6th men. Lou Williams, Vinnie Johnson, Eddie Johnson, Jamal Crawford, Ricky Pierce were all 6th men who werent known as ball movers. When Zo's in the game, his job should be to get buckets. If he is off, you yank him.

2. Speaking of stuck, I noticed Zo sticks or gets stuck to the screener. He doesn't fight through the picks which allows his man to get open looks alot of times. When this happens, its important for Zo and his teammate to communicate whether they are going to switch on the pick. Itd also important for Mitch, or Portis or who ever is protecting the basket to talk and call out the picks. Doesn't seem like that is going on. Not sure if you noticed, but Fiz is always yelling at his team to talk on defense. Seems like talking is an emphasis in practice and the players still hasn't fully grasped that concept.

3. And probably the most important reason why Zo is stuck on the bench is the presence of Ellington. Ellington is a career 38% 3 pt shooter. On a team that can't shoot, he is becomes more valuable. Ellington is a vet, so he will definitely appear on the opposing teams game plan before the game. His presence will open up the court for his teammates eventhough he's been a brick this year. Fiz has a special play for Ellington, as he comes off a double pin-down screen for a 3 on the wing, again he hasn't made many of them at all this season. I also heard that Ellington is a great practice player whereas he plays and basket-cuts at game speed. We are not at practice, but perhaps this is a message to Zo and Dot to step up in practice.

I started a thread several weeks ago where I outlined what I think is the front offices game plan for this year. Hope to catch lightning in a bottle and compete for a playoff spot in the east. Hopefully create the illusion that we are further along that we actually are as to attract top tier free agents next year. If we fall out of the race by Feb, trade the players on 1 year contracts for prospects and or draft picks.

My biggest concern with this way of re-building is in the process of chasing an 8th seed, we could be losing some of our young players, mentally. Zo and Dot are languishing on the bench while the 1 yer contract guys are playing ahead of them. I doubt these guys are back nest year.

Uptown

11/2/2019  9:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2019  11:17 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

This is my biggest concern. These young players of today have a different mentality of the young player decades ago. They lack patience, cant see the bigger picture and will bolt, immediately for greener pasture and playing time. I'd rather develop 2nd year players this year, especially on a team that is not going to anything more than chase the 8th seed for a month or 2.

I get what the Knicks are doing, trying to create the illusion that we are further along in our rebuild than we actually are as to attract better free agents, but it could hurt us in terms of losing a few good, cheap pieces we picked up in the 2nd round and in the undrafted player pool.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/2/2019  10:32 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

It’s not like the Knicks won. He had a good game after some really bad games. Also the report out said he was dealing with tendinitis which may have been the reason for his poor performances over the last few games.

Also Knox is the higher ceiling player and the future of the team going forward.

martin
USA
11/2/2019  11:58 AM
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

It’s not like the Knicks won. He had a good game after some really bad games. Also the report out said he was dealing with tendinitis which may have been the reason for his poor performances over the last few games.

Also Knox is the higher ceiling player and the future of the team going forward.

Morris will have bad games but he is a proven starter on playoff teams and plays both sides of the game. He is more of a high level role player IMHO and when asked to do more than that will be exposed (e.g. he is not a creator with the ball). Can't confirm but I think he directs defense and he is a VERY good help defender and on-ball defender even with fast PGs or Cs.

Knox has potential but is none of those things. He improved in the offseason with some strength and worked on his shot. His defense is still awful.

Knox IMHO needs to earn and outplay Morris to even sniff starting lineup.

martin
USA
11/2/2019  12:04 PM
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Uptown wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Uptown wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:

I'll give you 3 things that I've noticed and i'm sure its not much different than most of us Knick fans.

1. First the obvious. The ball tends to stick with Zo on the offensive end. To Fiz's credit, he has been preaching more ball movement and its not all talk as I've noticed better ball and body movement over the last 2 games. I think Zo has been trying to adhere to Fiz, but he still likes to massage the ball a little bit. With that said, most 6th men tend to play the game this way which is why they are 6th men. Lou Williams, Vinnie Johnson, Eddie Johnson, Jamal Crawford, Ricky Pierce were all 6th men who werent known as ball movers. When Zo's in the game, his job should be to get buckets. If he is off, you yank him.

2. Speaking of stuck, I noticed Zo sticks or gets stuck to the screener. He doesn't fight through the picks which allows his man to get open looks alot of times. When this happens, its important for Zo and his teammate to communicate whether they are going to switch on the pick. Itd also important for Mitch, or Portis or who ever is protecting the basket to talk and call out the picks. Doesn't seem like that is going on. Not sure if you noticed, but Fiz is always yelling at his team to talk on defense. Seems like talking is an emphasis in practice and the players still hasn't fully grasped that concept.

3. And probably the most important reason why Zo is stuck on the bench is the presence of Ellington. Ellington is a career 38% 3 pt shooter. On a team that can't shoot, he is becomes more valuable. Ellington is a vet, so he will definitely appear on the opposing teams game plan before the game. His presence will open up the court for his teammates eventhough he's been a brick this year. Fiz has a special play for Ellington, as he comes off a double pin-down screen for a 3 on the wing, again he hasn't made many of them at all this season. I also heard that Ellington is a great practice player whereas he plays and basket-cuts at game speed. We are not at practice, but perhaps this is a message to Zo and Dot to step up in practice.

I started a thread several weeks ago where I outlined what I think is the front offices game plan for this year. Hope to catch lightning in a bottle and compete for a playoff spot in the east. Hopefully create the illusion that we are further along that we actually are as to attract top tier free agents next year. If we fall out of the race by Feb, trade the players on 1 year contracts for prospects and or draft picks.

My biggest concern with this way of re-building is in the process of chasing an 8th seed, we could be losing some of our young players, mentally. Zo and Dot are languishing on the bench while the 1 yer contract guys are playing ahead of them. I doubt these guys are back nest year.

Agreed with the above, thanks. Think Trier is lost of defense most of the time and doesn't even know the phrase "help defense".

So the bold is a balance, right? Can you play all the young guys without any team concept and lost 17 games but call that young player development? Or do you need to win games by playing team ball while integrating the young guys in well earned minute spurt? I think it's the later this year.

IMO if Trier wasn't ****ing up, he would be playing. I'm guessing Fiz gonna give Ellington a LOT longer a leash and give him time to find his rhythm over 10-15 games to see what happens. Can't tell much about his D but it doesn't seem underwhelming or god awful.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/2/2019  12:23 PM
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Morris will have bad games but he is a proven starter on playoff teams and plays both sides of the game. He is more of a high level role player IMHO and when asked to do more than that will be exposed (e.g. he is not a creator with the ball). Can't confirm but I think he directs defense and he is a VERY good help defender and on-ball defender even with fast PGs or Cs.

Knox has potential but is none of those things. He improved in the offseason with some strength and worked on his shot. His defense is still awful.

I think Knox looks really good coming off the bench. I like the 2nd unit of Knox , Portis and Ellington. I think it can do a lot of damage once the rotation gets figured out.

HofstraBBall

11/2/2019  2:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/2/2019  5:10 PM
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I guess your sticking to he should have been benched, in spite of what I mentioned. I disagree. Never a good idea to send that kind of message to a major signing and proven contributor. 4 games into a season. Not unless your giving up on building a winning culture. Just look at how much better the team played having a rotation where everyone is not looking over their shoulder after a mistake.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/2/2019  3:15 PM
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Vmart wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Wasn't there a quote from Knox in preseason where he said something to the effect of "I wished I was eased in" more. I think Knox realized he was trash at times last year and he probably appreciates it he fact that he has less pressure this year. I don't see the need to rush Knox this year. He's shown improvement and that's the key.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Frank is starting tonight

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy