[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What did y'all expect?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/1/2019  9:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2019  10:40 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:in the offseason I compared this team to that ****squad Scott Layden put together and the angry mob came with torches... we have 'a lot of depth' like we did then because ultimately we signed a bunch of bench players. Julius Randle can play but as the face of the operation?

The only thing that matters is how RJ, Knox, and whoever else grow. Fiz has not produced but I think the only thing that matters is how the kids play and hopefully that is how he gets evaluated by the FO. We need to figure out how to get more picks and draft well.

Interesting analogy. The year before Isiah came and starphuched the team into the epic $119mm payroll which exceeded any other by over 40% and produced an epic lack of wins considering the bloated salary and ensuing taxes. ESPN should do an 30-30 show as that team win per dollar might be the worst team in professional sports history. Its one thing to suck, its another to do with a payroll that not defies the mean average for the league, but as mentioned blows the 2nd highest by that margin!

What Isiah had was our picks and cap space but did not have much in tradable assets. Which is why he leveraged the payroll. He took back talented players they had god awful contracts. Had Isiah just let some of them fall off the books and drafted in a longer rebuild it would have taken time but he might have established something worth while. Impatience after the McDyess debacle was not a good formula.
Blame Isiah? Blame Dolan? Blame Knicks. It was what it was.

Today we have blue chip prospects, very flexible contracts and the Second lowest payroll. That a dime won't get you a cup of coffee but patience will. Some might have had us blow big money Tobias Harris or MIddleton. I have heard CP3 name floated around.
There is no quick fix for this. We should keep on doing what we are doing until such time we have suplus players teams want, and we have the ability to take back salary based on merit and talent to what we need and want. Stay away from Blake Griffith.
We stayed away from Jabari Parker. We still have noah but we hold no ignorant contracts.
Praise for the process? Blame for the Process? Its the Knicks current state. Its painful but with a purpose.

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/1/2019  11:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2019  11:08 AM
Last year's squad did more to help their teammates get a better look, so I expected the same this season with a more veteran squad. I get all the new additions needing time to gel. Dont get the ISO heavy, heroball, gsme we are seeing too often. Thats on Fizdale. The PG fiasco isnt his fault, our PGs havent been up to the task..yet.

There are things Fizdale csn control, like trying to get a P&R game going, screens not only to free up a player, but to also wear out the D. DSJr and Frank got 2 quick fouls in that game against ATL, running through screens. We should be doing that to other teams. Confident all our PGs know how to use picks, if they are properly set.

Not interested in seeing Fizdale fired, way too soon. If we are watching the same issues play out late in the second half of the season, lack of teamwork (not the W-L record) then I hope Mike Miller gets a shot. Did wonders in G-league.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

11/1/2019  11:06 AM
Nalod wrote:Miserable lot of you in the game thread!!!
Nine new faces most odds and scouts are had us under 30 wins. What did you expect?
Start the year 1-4. Three of the 5 games on the road. 4 losses all to Playoff teams.
A whole thread on last nights game and y'all on fire like it it was our divine right to have won the game! Not a single mention of it was a road game against a playoff team.
The Orlando magic are largely either the same or improved from last year. They were the 7th seed in the east last year. We won 17 games and were the worst. What did you expect?

Don't get me wrong, some of you have good observations but regarding the heat of the moment none of you are a pro level coach.
Show a little respect to the opponent and their coach. We getting beat by teams that's suppose to beat us. WE don't push? They controlled the tempo. Give them credit. They had 7 turnovers as a team. Randle and Morris had 6 of our 11. There is some of your pace right there. They out rebounded us. There is your pace. They got back on defense. Clifford had over a year with that same group now in year 2. He took over that team that was underperforming. Maybe that's what we do with Knicks, but we are not close to forming a core and committing to it.
So far won the only realistic game at home against the Bulls. Guess what, save your minds now and understand Celtics are next. Road game also. They might not be as good as last year, but they are a better team.

Rainman got all the answers and the nerve to tell us we in denial. Thinking we are better than what we are is denial. Not gonna say it don't suck, but that's reality.

I saw a lot of bad stuff out there last night too but I am seeing better defense. Im seeing frank create to get open shots which is all the more remarkable because cuz he is not a threat. Don't matter what I or anyone thinks until HE THINKS IT!!!! That's all been discussed enough.
Barrett is wonderful, Knox is improving and Mitch shows some signs of an offense. This is good stuff, just not enough of it to beat playoff teams on the road. 5 games in and wanna fire coach?, fire the FO? and Burn the whole thing down? 9 new faces and we underperforming? We have yet to even "PERFORM" at any expected level. I don't know what it is, but its not .500. What in gods name does firing a coach do this season????
I don't know what to expect but sitting there thinking "We deserve more because we have the worlds greatest arena and live in the Mecca" is delusional.
Im a knick fan, Im frustrated. But there is a limit.

Odds are that most Fans had the wrong expectations and still do. Some knowledgeable fans knew what to expect.

1) No big name Free Agent signings.
2) KP is not a cripple.
3) RJ will be inconsistent and have growing pains.
4) Takes a team with this many new faces many game before they can gel.
5) Fans will hype up anything that takes them away from the reality that this team/organization is not very good.
6) Fans will continue to say how good the 10th man is in spite of not being that good or having much impact.
7) We will watch every game, bitch about how much we suck and then watch the next game expecting a blow out win.
8) Its ALWAYS the coaches fault that the players suck.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/1/2019  11:10 AM
Nalod wrote:
SupremeCommander wrote:in the offseason I compared this team to that ****squad Scott Layden put together and the angry mob came with torches... we have 'a lot of depth' like we did then because ultimately we signed a bunch of bench players. Julius Randle can play but as the face of the operation?

The only thing that matters is how RJ, Knox, and whoever else grow. Fiz has not produced but I think the only thing that matters is how the kids play and hopefully that is how he gets evaluated by the FO. We need to figure out how to get more picks and draft well.

Interesting analogy. The year before Isiah came and starphuched the team into the epic $119mm payroll which exceeded any other by over 40% and produced an epic lack of wins considering the bloated salary and ensuing taxes. ESPN should do an 30-30 show as that team win per dollar might be the worst team in professional sports history. Its one thing to suck, its another to do with a payroll that not defies the mean average for the league, but as mentioned blows the 2nd highest by that margin!

What Isiah had was our picks and cap space but did not have much in tradable assets. Which is why he leveraged the payroll. He took back talented players they had god awful contracts. Had Isiah just let some of them fall off the books and drafted in a longer rebuild it would have taken time but he might have established something worth while. Impatience after the McDyess debacle was not a good formula.
Blame Isiah? Blame Dolan? Blame Knicks. It was what it was.

Today we have blue chip prospects, very flexible contracts and the Second lowest payroll. That a dime won't get you a cup of coffee but patience will. Some might have had us blow big money Tobias Harris or MIddleton. I have heard CP3 name floated around.
There is no quick fix for this. We should keep on doing what we are doing until such time we have suplus players teams want, and we have the ability to take back salary based on merit and talent to what we need and want. Stay away from Blake Griffith.
We stayed away from Jabari Parker. We still have noah but we hold no ignorant contracts.
Praise for the process? Blame for the Process? Its the Knicks current state. Its painful but with a purpose.

We have tried getting big time FA here with max salary cap space, twice, and it has not gotten us anybody worth getting. We aren't getting any big time free agents period. We need to grow our own. We need to see what we have in RJ, Knox, Frank, DSJr, Mitch, Dotson, Trier, Iggy and go from there. Playing the vets a lot of minutes will not help us. They should be supporting the youngins and not taking their PT away. We should have 1 or 2 vets on the floor at a time and that's it. Having 3-4 of the youngins playing at all time will fast forward their development.

If you play Morris and Randle together then you can't have Payton, Ellington and Portis with them. Two at a time and let the youngins get their burn.

Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

11/1/2019  11:50 AM

I expect them to do slightly worse than the Pels did last year. they have Julius and Payton, no Jrue and AD, but have RJ

good points above about we've played playoff teams, road games, etc. We shouldn't over-react.

We will also need to expect RJ to hit a wall. And, i expect turmoil because we have a lot of guys playing for contracts, without the minutes to showcase their abilities to their next employer, AND it's tough to ask a player to play team ball and sacrifice when they're expecting to lose anyway and worried about feeding their family in the future

It will be a looong season. I'll try to focus more on the future of RJ, Knox, hopefully Frank and other young guys. Hope Fizz doesn't mess with them too much

And just as much as Hoping for growth from the players, i'd like to see growth from Fizz. Can't close games and seems very inconsistent in practicing what he preaches concerning accountability and what he wants to see on the court

(5)(5)
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
11/1/2019  10:50 PM
As long as James Dolan owns the team, stop expecting anything more then 30 wins. I predict 20 this year. And next year. And the year after.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
What did y'all expect?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy