[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

GameThread: Knicks head south to Orlando
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

10/31/2019  10:58 AM
martin wrote:Felt like the biggest hole in the Knicks player rotation was someone who could just break his man down, get into the middle of the court, and go from there, either further to rim or kickout.

Trier must have pissed off the coaching staff something good

Agree re Trier

One of the issues with the hole you mention is if we don't have a couple of guys on the court who can reliably knock down open looks the Magic and every other team will sag off and crowd the lane, making the drive and dish really tough

Also our lack of length had us gang rebounding, which is generally a good thing, but the Magic were prepared for it. They realized that they could run on defensive rebounds and 4 or 5 of our guys would need to sprint full court leading to a disorganized defense

If Fizz wanted my advice, it would be to make sure to have at least one or two guys who can reliably space floor. And he needs to play more guys and everyone needs to play hard. Our depth is our biggest asset. Playing halfcourt ISO slow down ball plays to our weakness. It lets the other team rest. We need everyone running and pressing and when tired they sit. Iggy and Trier are not that much worse than the guys playing, arguably better in some respects (e.g., ability to hit shots).

and regarding fast breaks (not your point but others), where is the rule that a pg has to lead the fast break. That has a nice ring to it, but it's not why we didn't have any fast breaks

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
Chandler

10/31/2019  11:04 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2019  11:05 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:Felt like the biggest hole in the Knicks player rotation was someone who could just break his man down, get into the middle of the court, and go from there, either further to rim or kickout.

This was to be DSjr role.

good point. But i think even DSJ at his best will struggle with this if we don't create more space

Oddly, RJ is getting it done from 3, but he's also one of the guys we're using to drive

(5)(5)
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/31/2019  11:08 AM
NYKBocker wrote:I think Fizdale's agenda in not starting Frank is that if he starts Frank and he does well then it will be harder for him to relegate him back to the bench or out of rotation. He wants to have DSJr as the starting PG by hook or by crook. Not starting Frank, when he is the only true PG available, because he wants to protect him from foul trouble is downright ridiculous and reeks of stupidity.
why? He literally started the group that played best the other night. RJ/Ellington wasnt throwing poop on the wall. They were the combo that were on the floor when the Knicks rallied vs. the Bulls.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
10/31/2019  11:22 AM

thats the PG's job no? Also that is the one skill Elf really brings and he's played very poorly. DSjr was hopefully that guy but seemed happier taking long 2s and step back jumpers than attacking the rim. This is why our bigs are barreling into guys trying to make stuff happen.

This is the coaches problem to fix and pretty predictable if you think about it. Biggest question mark into the season was going to be PG play. Guess what? Offense is really struggling with non existent PG play.

I think where fans vary is some like to place instant blame on Fizdale and start labeling him. Others see the roster flaws. Some see it in the middle. Me personally I am in the middle. Its a roster problem for sure, and I dont see a quick fix but there is a gradual one and that is coaching. While we have shortcomings for sure there are parts to work with. I expect considerable improvements after 10,20 and 30 games. I am not a Fizdale fan for a few reasons but the guy should get his chance to get this group playing well. I dont know how you can follow this league, see this Knicks roster and be like "coach sucks." He may or may not but not after 1-4 with all losses vs. playoff teams from last year. Knicks have a lot to figure out.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
10/31/2019  11:27 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
martin wrote:Vmart-fishmike is the new 1248-Nalod
True, ive noticed that although i think its nastier lol

Fish and I passionate about the Knicks. We disagree with our thoughts but I have nothing but respect for him.

knicks1248
Member: #582
10/31/2019  11:31 AM
Vmart wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Fish and I passionate about the Knicks. We disagree with our thoughts but I have nothing but respect for him.

lol..

ES
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
10/31/2019  11:35 AM
Chandler wrote:

Agree re Trier

One of the issues with the hole you mention is if we don't have a couple of guys on the court who can reliably knock down open looks the Magic and every other team will sag off and crowd the lane, making the drive and dish really tough

Also our lack of length had us gang rebounding, which is generally a good thing, but the Magic were prepared for it. They realized that they could run on defensive rebounds and 4 or 5 of our guys would need to sprint full court leading to a disorganized defense

If Fizz wanted my advice, it would be to make sure to have at least one or two guys who can reliably space floor. And he needs to play more guys and everyone needs to play hard. Our depth is our biggest asset. Playing halfcourt ISO slow down ball plays to our weakness. It lets the other team rest. We need everyone running and pressing and when tired they sit. Iggy and Trier are not that much worse than the guys playing, arguably better in some respects (e.g., ability to hit shots).

and regarding fast breaks (not your point but others), where is the rule that a pg has to lead the fast break. That has a nice ring to it, but it's not why we didn't have any fast breaks

Exactly on fastbreaks. It's not just about the PG. You need people running the wings for a pass ahead for the fastbreak. Everybody thinks a fastbreak has to be like the LA Showtime where Magic leads the way. The Boston Celtics of the 80s had a wonderful fastbreak. They filled the wings and passed ahead with a trailer.

fishmike
USA
10/31/2019  11:38 AM
Vmart wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

And while I needle Vmart like its my job NOBODY wanted to see this guy happy today after a Frank-led victory more than me. Vmart would have received virtual hugs

now the rest of you guys quit being snowflakes mind your own business

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/31/2019  11:41 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Agree re Trier

Exactly on fastbreaks. It's not just about the PG. You need people running the wings for a pass ahead for the fastbreak. Everybody thinks a fastbreak has to be like the LA Showtime where Magic leads the way. The Boston Celtics of the 80s had a wonderful fastbreak. They filled the wings and passed ahead with a trailer.

Yep. If you notice, Frank does a good job of passing the ball ahead quickly on the break. That's also a way of pushing the pace. It's not flashy and it doesn't pad the stats, but key to pushing the pace.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NYKBocker
USA
10/31/2019  11:46 AM
fishmike wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:I think Fizdale's agenda in not starting Frank is that if he starts Frank and he does well then it will be harder for him to relegate him back to the bench or out of rotation. He wants to have DSJr as the starting PG by hook or by crook. Not starting Frank, when he is the only true PG available, because he wants to protect him from foul trouble is downright ridiculous and reeks of stupidity.
why? He literally started the group that played best the other night. RJ/Ellington wasnt throwing poop on the wall. They were the combo that were on the floor when the Knicks rallied vs. the Bulls.

The head coaches job is to put players in the best position to succeed. They need to show confidence to their players that they can do this. Do you think that you are showing confidence to a player in your roster that is the only player in that position by not starting him? He claims it's to protect him from getting into foul trouble. Really? Why not do it to Mitch then? He is always in foul trouble. Dude is talking out of his ass.

Chandler

10/31/2019  11:53 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Agree re Trier

Hi you can go back even earlier with the Celts to Heinsohn days. They had a rule that even on a made backet the ball should not hit the ground. A celt was supposed to catch the ball in the air after it went through the net so they could even run on made baskets that much faster.

and you don't need a guard to lead the break. It's nice too for sure, but if the guy who grabs the rebound can handle the ball (i.e., not Enes Kanter) you rebound and run. there will be mismatches or as you say even a trailer for a walk up 3

i'd have all 12 guys get burn. They're not that far apart talent wise. Also I would be a bit worried about RJ's usage rate or he's going to hit a major wall

(5)(5)
NYKBocker
USA
10/31/2019  11:56 AM
Chandler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Agree re Trier

Hi you can go back even earlier with the Celts to Heinsohn days. They had a rule that even on a made backet the ball should not hit the ground. A celt was supposed to catch the ball in the air after it went through the net so they could even run on made baskets that much faster.

and you don't need a guard to lead the break. It's nice too for sure, but if the guy who grabs the rebound can handle the ball (i.e., not Enes Kanter) you rebound and run. there will be mismatches or as you say even a trailer for a walk up 3

i'd have all 12 guys get burn. They're not that far apart talent wise. Also I would be a bit worried about RJ's usage rate or he's going to hit a major wall

Dude. We are showing our age.

Chandler

10/31/2019  11:58 AM
fishmike wrote:

thats the PG's job no? Also that is the one skill Elf really brings and he's played very poorly. DSjr was hopefully that guy but seemed happier taking long 2s and step back jumpers than attacking the rim. This is why our bigs are barreling into guys trying to make stuff happen.

This is the coaches problem to fix and pretty predictable if you think about it. Biggest question mark into the season was going to be PG play. Guess what? Offense is really struggling with non existent PG play.

I think where fans vary is some like to place instant blame on Fizdale and start labeling him. Others see the roster flaws. Some see it in the middle. Me personally I am in the middle. Its a roster problem for sure, and I dont see a quick fix but there is a gradual one and that is coaching. While we have shortcomings for sure there are parts to work with. I expect considerable improvements after 10,20 and 30 games. I am not a Fizdale fan for a few reasons but the guy should get his chance to get this group playing well. I dont know how you can follow this league, see this Knicks roster and be like "coach sucks." He may or may not but not after 1-4 with all losses vs. playoff teams from last year. Knicks have a lot to figure out.

Very pragmatic approach

But food for thought: the team is constructed with a lot of one year rentals. As soon as (and IF) fizz figures this out, we'll be thinking about a new roster next year with lots of new faces. Not sure if FO thought about that. Their cap flexibility in turn leads to a lack of team cohesion and growth. we're going to see a repeat next year

Water under the bridge, and putting aside the KP issue, when plan KD/KI deteriorated, they should have rebooted and used their cap space to absorb contracts. Of course that would have looked a little weird since part of plan KP was to dump bad contracts, but we would have been in better position for next year when all our young guys/future were that much further along

(5)(5)
fishmike
USA
10/31/2019  12:18 PM
Chandler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Very pragmatic approach

But food for thought: the team is constructed with a lot of one year rentals. As soon as (and IF) fizz figures this out, we'll be thinking about a new roster next year with lots of new faces. Not sure if FO thought about that. Their cap flexibility in turn leads to a lack of team cohesion and growth. we're going to see a repeat next year

Water under the bridge, and putting aside the KP issue, when plan KD/KI deteriorated, they should have rebooted and used their cap space to absorb contracts. Of course that would have looked a little weird since part of plan KP was to dump bad contracts, but we would have been in better position for next year when all our young guys/future were that much further along

what bad contracts? The ones that moved had huge players attached to them (CP3)

I think they might be doing exactly what you mentioned. Morris/Ellington/Payton/Portis/Buford are all on 1 year deals with either TOs for the following year $1mm buyouts making them valuable pieces for teams looking to cut salary or attach an asset to a longer term deal.

Even more so it sets them up right before the offseason to move those guys for equal salary and use the $1mm buy out (Ellington/Payton/Buford all have this)

So I think you nailed it. Guy guys that can hopefully improve the team and help coaching staff short term, provide trade assets/pieces

Chandler

10/31/2019  12:31 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Agree re Trier

I'm glad you said "Dude". I feel old when people call me "Sir" or "Mr"

Another little Celtics bit. When they felt their team had the advantage running, they used older looser nets so the ball would fall through faster, and when the opposite they used new nets where the ball hangs a bit. Not sure if that's still legal. But when i heard it i was like "Is that desipicable, or genius, or both". You could carry it further to newer or older rims to affect longer rebounds on 3 point attempts

they also always used to have heating and shower problems in the visiting locker room. I think that has been rectified thought

And urban legend has it that back in the day there were particular parquet panels which were more dead than others, interrupting an even bounce of the ball. SOmething hometeam would know/remember but a visitor could forget. Could lead to another TO or two in a game.

Knicks are too busy building, and rebuilding, rosters to think of nasty **** like this.

(5)(5)
Chandler

10/31/2019  12:44 PM
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Very pragmatic approach

what bad contracts? The ones that moved had huge players attached to them (CP3)

I think they might be doing exactly what you mentioned. Morris/Ellington/Payton/Portis/Buford are all on 1 year deals with either TOs for the following year $1mm buyouts making them valuable pieces for teams looking to cut salary or attach an asset to a longer term deal.

Even more so it sets them up right before the offseason to move those guys for equal salary and use the $1mm buy out (Ellington/Payton/Buford all have this)

So I think you nailed it. Guy guys that can hopefully improve the team and help coaching staff short term, provide trade assets/pieces

CP3 was a mess. But there were others moved (e.g., Nets and Atlanta) and others I'd suspect were available. We shot our load in the first day or so, and didn't play that card.

We did achieve cap flexibility. No denying that. But the point I was making (apparently not clearly) is whether they dump or trade the guys you mention, we will be going through these pains again next season about cohesion, building a system etc

I hope you're right that we can trade some of these guys -- which would accomplish something similar to what I had hoped for. That would be great. My concern (hopefully unfounded) is that these guys are JAGs and the contending teams at the trade deadline are not going to see any as a needle-mover (outside of maybe Randle) no better than their existing roster who already has the benefit of playing together, cohesion etc. None seemed in love enough to make a play for them as FAs. Maybe if there are injuries there will be a need.

(5)(5)
NYKBocker
USA
10/31/2019  12:46 PM
Chandler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Agree re Trier

Another little Celtics bit. When they felt their team had the advantage running, they used older looser nets so the ball would fall through faster, and when the opposite they used new nets where the ball hangs a bit. Not sure if that's still legal. But when i heard it i was like "Is that desipicable, or genius, or both". You could carry it further to newer or older rims to affect longer rebounds on 3 point attempts

they also always used to have heating and shower problems in the visiting locker room. I think that has been rectified thought

And urban legend has it that back in the day there were particular parquet panels which were more dead than others, interrupting an even bounce of the ball. SOmething hometeam would know/remember but a visitor could forget. Could lead to another TO or two in a game.

Knicks are too busy building, and rebuilding, rosters to think of nasty **** like this.

Yup. I remember all those leprechaun tricks. Very similar to the old giants stadium when the gates magically opened when the opposing team was attempting a fg 😁
Chandler

10/31/2019  12:52 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Agree re Trier

Yep. If you notice, Frank does a good job of passing the ball ahead quickly on the break. That's also a way of pushing the pace. It's not flashy and it doesn't pad the stats, but key to pushing the pace.

True. Another Celtics adage (not that they hold a monopoly on it). Pass always moves faster than a dribble

(5)(5)
Chandler

10/31/2019  12:54 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Agree re Trier

Yup. I remember all those leprechaun tricks. Very similar to the old giants stadium when the gates magically opened when the opposing team was attempting a fg 😁

I didn't know that (bold)

I'm a jets fan. The opponent always scores TDs so we don't need that trick, I guess

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/31/2019  12:57 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

lol..

That's more than I can say.

GameThread: Knicks head south to Orlando

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy