[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How Do We Make RJ Barret a Better Free throw Shooter and a pure jump shooter??
Author Thread
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

10/29/2019  11:22 AM
Papabear Says

The only thing that is stopping RJ from being a star in this league is his free throw shooting and a great 15 footer jump shot. What is the answer? When I see him at the free throw line his form is bad. It will only be a matter of time for other team will figure out how to stop him from driving to the basket and after that he will be forced to come up with other things in his game which is not there yet.

Papabear
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/29/2019  11:41 AM
Papabear wrote:Papabear Says

The only thing that is stopping RJ from being a star in this league is his free throw shooting and a great 15 footer jump shot. What is the answer? When I see him at the free throw line his form is bad. It will only be a matter of time for other team will figure out how to stop him from driving to the basket and after that he will be forced to come up with other things in his game which is not there yet.

My guess is time will do the trick.

Next year RJ will come back as a significantly better shooter. And by his 3rd year he will be deadly from wherever he wants. Book it

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/29/2019  11:41 AM
keep him away from keith smart . . .
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
10/29/2019  11:44 AM
Practice with his Godfather.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
10/29/2019  11:44 AM
Marv wrote:keep him away from keith smart . . .

Second this.

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/29/2019  1:26 PM
If only we had that kind of resource within the organization....

technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
10/29/2019  1:27 PM
He might still haunted by his missed ft that got the Duke team ousted from the tournament. With so much else going right about his game, let’s call this his rookie flaw that he’ll need to work on. His perimeter shot has actually been quite solid thus far. Let him get his jump shot mechanics right, then they can work on shooting from the line.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
EwingsGlass
Member: #893
USA
10/29/2019  1:35 PM

I would argue with the premise that he need to add 15 foot shot.

I am a disciple of PPP efficiency. I'd rather have a guy that shoots 35% from 3 than 40% from 15 feet out. 1.15 PPP > .8 PPP by a large margin. You become a 40% - 50% 3pt shooter like the best 3PT shooters in the league and you change the spacing on the floor.

Otherwise, you get into the paint and fight through contact. He is big and strong enough to finish and potentially convert a 3 point play. If you tell me his is going to shoot 80% from 15 feet, I'll concede the PPP. We can look that on the floor efficiency charts. But guys tend to finish over 50% when they get into the paint and then have possible free throws and the pressure of fouls putting players on the bench.

I think the 15 footer is what you settle for, not what you strive for.

This is the Randle.
houston20
Member: #8797

10/29/2019  1:38 PM
The only thing i don't like about rj barret he shoots his free throws like shaq oneal.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/29/2019  2:08 PM
It will just take time. Looks like he improved his 3pt shooting from college. The range definitely. But each year he will just have to get more reps. His form looks decent so not much to tweak there, so he should never need a shot reinvention.
EwingsGlass
USA
10/29/2019  2:34 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=401160684

I'll go so far as to say that this shot chart for the Knicks is pretty solid and efficient in shot selection. Barrett's shot chart is beautiful in my opinion. If he makes decisions like these, he will be a top candidate for ROY. Knox's shot chart is there also. I'll be ready to swap Morris for Knox by 12/10 or so. I think Knox will earn that starting job. The PGs need to figure something out, though. And Randle needs to get a handle on the ball. Love him. But, now that he is attracting doubles, he needs to take it to the next level.

You can swap over to GS and look at Steph Curry and Dray Green's shot charts. PPP Efficiency is winning games in this league. I respect that not everyone can play like Steph Curry. But there is a mindset there that matters.

This is the Randle.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/29/2019  2:51 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:

I am a disciple of PPP efficiency. I'd rather have a guy that shoots 35% from 3 than 40% from 15 feet out. 1.15 PPP > .8 PPP by a large margin. You become a 40% - 50% 3pt shooter like the best 3PT shooters in the league and you change the spacing on the floor.

Otherwise, you get into the paint and fight through contact. He is big and strong enough to finish and potentially convert a 3 point play. If you tell me his is going to shoot 80% from 15 feet, I'll concede the PPP. We can look that on the floor efficiency charts. But guys tend to finish over 50% when they get into the paint and then have possible free throws and the pressure of fouls putting players on the bench.

The other side to this is you see teams adjust to this especially in the playoffs. We saw last playoffs that Kawhi was able to score consistently from all over the court, including the mid-range. To get to that superstar level, and I'm not saying he will, RJ will need to be a threat from the mid-range. Could be in the post, could be floaters, fadeaways...but he will need something.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Member: #6197

10/29/2019  3:51 PM
I would love to see him nail his FTs. Although he already seems quite confident, i can imagine it would only make him more confident going to the rack

10FTs a game from him and we're in great shape. THE MOST EFFICIENT WAY TO SCORE!!!

OT but related. Harden had something like 22 FTs the other night. Insane

(5)(5)
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/29/2019  3:56 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:If only we had that kind of resource within the organization....

Pretty much the same exact body type and height. It kind of reminds me of the end of Dumb and Dumber. “We’ll catch our break soon. We just gotta keep our eyes open.”

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Papabear
Member: #1414

10/29/2019  4:51 PM
martin wrote:

My guess is time will do the trick.

Next year RJ will come back as a significantly better shooter. And by his 3rd year he will be deadly from wherever he wants. Book it

Papabear Says

Yea and I'm in my 70's now How much longer must I wait to see another championship

Papabear
EwingsGlass
USA
10/29/2019  5:16 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

The other side to this is you see teams adjust to this especially in the playoffs. We saw last playoffs that Kawhi was able to score consistently from all over the court, including the mid-range. To get to that superstar level, and I'm not saying he will, RJ will need to be a threat from the mid-range. Could be in the post, could be floaters, fadeaways...but he will need something.

https://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=401134820

Its actually kind of interesting if you look at the shot charts, Kawhi takes close to 80% of his shots from the paint or behind the 3. As you say, he certainly has a 15 foot jumper in his arsenal, but its not any more efficient than his other shots. The assumption is that the pull up jumper is less likely to result in receiving a foul on the play, that the majority of his free throws come from his work in the paint.

Game 6 is linked and the other 5 games are available in the margins of the webpage.

There is a more keen point to be taken from these charts though. If you look at Curry's shot charts, Toronto did a good (better than most?) job keeping him out of the paint, forcing him to take less efficient shots. Hard to say that when Curry scores 47, but its an interesting point.

You'd probably have a better perspective than most on the effect of the hand-checking rules as it pertains to PGs being able to get into the paint vs the difficulty in getting there when the rule didn't exist (pre-1994?). My point is that it can be near impossible to keep good ball handlers out of the paint in today's game.

This is the Randle.
BigDaddyG

10/29/2019  5:33 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:

https://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=401134820

Its actually kind of interesting if you look at the shot charts, Kawhi takes close to 80% of his shots from the paint or behind the 3. As you say, he certainly has a 15 foot jumper in his arsenal, but its not any more efficient than his other shots. The assumption is that the pull up jumper is less likely to result in receiving a foul on the play, that the majority of his free throws come from his work in the paint.

Game 6 is linked and the other 5 games are available in the margins of the webpage.

There is a more keen point to be taken from these charts though. If you look at Curry's shot charts, Toronto did a good (better than most?) job keeping him out of the paint, forcing him to take less efficient shots. Hard to say that when Curry scores 47, but its an interesting point.

You'd probably have a better perspective than most on the effect of the hand-checking rules as it pertains to PGs being able to get into the paint vs the difficulty in getting there when the rule didn't exist (pre-1994?). My point is that it can be near impossible to keep good ball handlers out of the paint in today's game.

Kawhi didn't have his best game (though he was still awesome.). I can't argue over what the better shot is. I agree that inside ahots, open threes are the ideal shot. My point is when you look at the stars who seem to thrive the most in the playoffs, it's the ones who can create a threat from all areas on the court. Even if Kawhi wasn't hitting that game, his gravity was enough to enable Siakam enough freedom to roll inside and take easy shorter range Js. Siakam even hit some long 2s (a problem he's seem to have corrected so far this season.)

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/29/2019  7:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/29/2019  7:14 PM
Easiest way I found is practicing shooting with one hand. Developing muscle memory without the off hand in the way to alter the trajectory. You watch Fultz, and DSjr, their off hand too often is also pushing off, when its role should be to steady the ball. Ive taught people within a couple of minutes, who never played bball to hit FTs with this method. Also works with FGs. Good way to get your shot back.
BigDaddyG

10/29/2019  7:54 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Easiest way I found is practicing shooting with one hand. Developing muscle memory without the off hand in the way to alter the trajectory. You watch Fultz, and DSjr, their off hand too often is also pushing off, when its role should be to steady the ball. Ive taught people within a couple of minutes, who never played bball to hit FTs with this method. Also works with FGs. Good way to get your shot back.

I think RJs biggest thing is foot work. Not as severe, but same problem Frank has. I've seen college videos and games, where RJ is coming up short or airballing. That seems to indicate a lack of energy transference from his legs to his follow through. You notice this when guys are tired are they haven't set up properly prior to the shot. I think this will get better as he matures and keeps practicing.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/29/2019  8:07 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Easiest way I found is practicing shooting with one hand. Developing muscle memory without the off hand in the way to alter the trajectory. You watch Fultz, and DSjr, their off hand too often is also pushing off, when its role should be to steady the ball. Ive taught people within a couple of minutes, who never played bball to hit FTs with this method. Also works with FGs. Good way to get your shot back.

I think RJs biggest thing is foot work. Not as severe, but same problem Frank has. I've seen college videos and games, where RJ is coming up short or airballing. That seems to indicate a lack of energy transference from his legs to his follow through. You notice this when guys are tired are they haven't set up properly prior to the shot. I think this will get better as he matures and keeps practicing.

His form is already different. His feet are less spread and everything is more straight up. That was all before the Bulls game though, where his shot was pretty flat. Maybe that had to do with fatigue. That was a very tiring looking game.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
How Do We Make RJ Barret a Better Free throw Shooter and a pure jump shooter??

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy