[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Preseason GameThread @ Wiz 10/7: Holy cow I didn't realize first game was tomorrow
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/8/2019  1:54 PM
Vmart wrote:Frank was awesome in this game. You could see when Payten wasn’t able to keep his man down and Frizdale who seems to be getting wiser brought Frank back in the lead went back up. Plus minus tells everything with Frank. He keeps everyone happy and that is winning basketball. Defense was excellent all game. Very few lapses.

Let us not forget it is pre season and excitement should be curtailed at all costs.

Frank was NOT awesome in this game. He contributed. He missed at least 3 wide open shots and dribbled the ball off his foot in the 4th qtr. and I love Frank. You need an intervention or something.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
10/8/2019  1:57 PM
fishmike wrote:
Vmart wrote:Frank was awesome in this game. You could see when Payten wasn’t able to keep his man down and Frizdale who seems to be getting wiser brought Frank back in the lead went back up. Plus minus tells everything with Frank. He keeps everyone happy and that is winning basketball. Defense was excellent all game. Very few lapses.

Let us not forget it is pre season and excitement should be curtailed at all costs.

Frank was NOT awesome in this game. He contributed. He missed at least 3 wide open shots and dribbled the ball off his foot in the 4th qtr. and I love Frank. You need an intervention or something.

Frank won them the game. His defense was contagious. So he missed a few shots. What do you want Fizz to do sit him on the bench and lose? It’s about winning. Hater!!!

fishmike
USA
10/8/2019  2:08 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Frank won them the game. His defense was contagious. So he missed a few shots. What do you want Fizz to do sit him on the bench and lose? It’s about winning. Hater!!!

what is really funny is there is no way to tell if you are serious or not.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/8/2019  2:41 PM
Marv wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Why didn't Portia play? I must have missed something? Is he hurt?

bruised rib.

Thanks

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/8/2019  2:51 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I sat right behind the knick bench last night, and i think both of you have a valid point, franks defense was solid, but he still looked a lot like he has been in the NBA on offense.

There is just no way in hell frank can be a starting PG in the NBA, he just can't score, and even when he runs down court a top speed, he still gives the ball as soon as he passes half court(remember shumpert was famous for that), and doesn't penetrate nearly enough to keep defenses honest.

I will go as far a decent rotational player, but players that guard him can literally back off of him and preserve their energy and fouls..

Also, 104 points is not going to cut it, and the reason we scored so little is because we play too much half could basketball, I'm just assuming BULLY ball will be our identity.

ES
Vmart
USA
10/8/2019  3:59 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I sat right behind the knick bench last night, and i think both of you have a valid point, franks defense was solid, but he still looked a lot like he has been in the NBA on offense.

There is just no way in hell frank can be a starting PG in the NBA, he just can't score, and even when he runs down court a top speed, he still gives the ball as soon as he passes half court(remember shumpert was famous for that), and doesn't penetrate nearly enough to keep defenses honest.

I will go as far a decent rotational player, but players that guard him can literally back off of him and preserve their energy and fouls..

Also, 104 points is not going to cut it, and the reason we scored so little is because we play too much half could basketball, I'm just assuming BULLY ball will be our identity.

If he is winning you ball games he is starting. This is just the first game and his positive impact showed in a big way. Who cares if he isn’t scoring as long as his teammates see the benefits of his play. This is what I’m saying Charlie Ward was no scorer but he won games and Knicks fans loved him for it. Frank will get better and better. If he puts up the best Plus Minus stats of the three PGs then he is the best PG the team has.

Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

10/8/2019  7:44 PM
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I have been a huge Frank critic and I thought he played really well
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/8/2019  7:45 PM
Was great to see an actual game after this long offseason.

Barrett looks like Pippen 2.0 to me more than T-Mac 2.0. What impressed me the most about Barrett's game last night was how he was bricking 3s early on. Tightened up his stroke, squared his shoulders more, made the necessary adjustments, started making those threes. Dont know if it was coaching, or Barrett figuring things out for himself, but its encouraging to see RJ figure things out so fast.

Like all rookies, he looked a little wide eyed at times, but for the most part Barrett had the "eye of the tiger". You dont see many rookies, 19 year olds, with that kind of determination in their eyes.

Happy to see Trier sharing the rock more. We'll see if he can be a threat without dominating the ball.

I like our new vets. If the younger players can pull their weight, playoffs arent a pipe dream.

Knox showed more of an all around game. Did a good job of moving without the ball.

Frank didnt have a breakout game. But was very pleased with his progress. A few spin moves with his dribble made defenders respect his ability to get to the rim. Liked how he dribbled to an empty spot on the floor and took a shot, didnt matter that he missed. Didnt get discouraged after misses. Was better able to dribble while absorbing contact. Was bricking shots by the end of the game, but it was clear that Frank was sucking wind at that point. More about conditioning. NBA game is more of a challenge. If Frank can gst into top shape, believe he stands a good chance of turning the corner.

When DSJ comes back, expect more kick outs for 3. We still havent seen Izzy, among others. If Fizdale can succesfully manage this deep bench, I see see good things happening this season.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/8/2019  9:46 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Was great to see an actual game after this long offseason.

Barrett looks like Pippen 2.0 to me more than T-Mac 2.0. What impressed me the most about Barrett's game last night was how he was bricking 3s early on. Tightened up his stroke, squared his shoulders more, made the necessary adjustments, started making those threes. Dont know if it was coaching, or Barrett figuring things out for himself, but its encouraging to see RJ figure things out so fast.

Like all rookies, he looked a little wide eyed at times, but for the most part Barrett had the "eye of the tiger". You dont see many rookies, 19 year olds, with that kind of determination in their eyes.

Happy to see Trier sharing the rock more. We'll see if he can be a threat without dominating the ball.

I like our new vets. If the younger players can pull their weight, playoffs arent a pipe dream.

Knox showed more of an all around game. Did a good job of moving without the ball.

Frank didnt have a breakout game. But was very pleased with his progress. A few spin moves with his dribble made defenders respect his ability to get to the rim. Liked how he dribbled to an empty spot on the floor and took a shot, didnt matter that he missed. Didnt get discouraged after misses. Was better able to dribble while absorbing contact. Was bricking shots by the end of the game, but it was clear that Frank was sucking wind at that point. More about conditioning. NBA game is more of a challenge. If Frank can gst into top shape, believe he stands a good chance of turning the corner.

When DSJ comes back, expect more kick outs for 3. We still havent seen Izzy, among others. If Fizdale can succesfully manage this deep bench, I see see good things happening this season.

Knox was impressive, he played a really smart game working within the flow.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/9/2019  6:59 AM
I was pretty happy with the first game. Obviously cant overreact after one good but i liked how the ball moved and the team played as a unit. RJ missed some shots at first but then he got into a groove a looked really good and played some nice defense. Frank looked quicker. Although he needs to knock down jumpers more consistenly i liked what i saw.
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/9/2019  10:54 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/9/2019  10:54 AM
Vmart wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

If he is winning you ball games he is starting. This is just the first game and his positive impact showed in a big way. Who cares if he isn’t scoring as long as his teammates see the benefits of his play. This is what I’m saying Charlie Ward was no scorer but he won games and Knicks fans loved him for it. Frank will get better and better. If he puts up the best Plus Minus stats of the three PGs then he is the best PG the team has.

We need Frankie to be more Bruce bowen than charlie ward, and I would prefer to use him more at SG than PG

ES
fishmike
USA
10/9/2019  12:08 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

who are you? I feel like this is the first time you have not trashed the Knicks... and its over a 3-10 shooting performance where the kid dribbled off his foot in the 4th. Frank looked good, maybe even looked great but he played OK at best... look at me, stealing vmart's joy
Vmart
USA
10/9/2019  7:13 PM
fishmike wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Vmart wrote:
fishmike wrote:

who are you? I feel like this is the first time you have not trashed the Knicks... and its over a 3-10 shooting performance where the kid dribbled off his foot in the 4th. Frank looked good, maybe even looked great but he played OK at best... look at me, stealing vmart's joy

Stop hating on Frank he was the star of the game. Fizdale had to put Frank back into the game just so they could win. Fish I don’t know what world you're living in, he is a winner. You worried about 3-10 or you’re worried about winning.

You have a nasty agenda of putting Frank down at the cost of winning. He is the best point guard on this team and you guys don’t like it because he doesn’t fit your narrative. It must really suck for you that the Knicks won.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/9/2019  8:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/9/2019  8:21 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Was great to see an actual game after this long offseason.

Knox was impressive, he played a really smart game working within the flow.

Agree. The upshot to all that PT as a starter, is Knox seeing firsthand what it means to start. Morris might end up playing his way into the starting lineup, but Knox should be ready to start if he gets the call down the road, for whatever the reason.

Liked how he set up teammates, and didnt camp out somewhere, waiting for the ball. Got involved.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
10/10/2019  10:02 AM
I think the Knicks are getting back on track, at least in terms of having some players piquing the interest of the fans (if not winning!).

I feel pretty good about the potential of Mitch, Randle, RJ, Knox eventually forming the backbone of a playoff contender in the near future.
I do see Frank as a component of that as a glue player that you put on the floor and he just fills in the gaps, though I'm not sure if management would agree yet.

Back injuries notwithstanding, I'm less sure about DSJ's future here - I've been a fan of Elfrid Payton for years and DSJ has to improve his consistency in a lot of areas to meet or exceed what Elfrid can do today; plus I think we're already seeing signs of RJ establishing himself as a legit NBA floor general. The ball dominant PG role might not be a role that fits with the Knicks' deeper structure of skilled offensive players at other positions. As is often called out for any of our players, if any of these young guys can become really solid shooters in game situations, it would transform this team.

Certainly it gives us something to watch and hope for. But what's nice is that until that happens we can try to grind out games with physical bullies on the court (Randle, Morris, Porter, and Gibson give us a really strong physical presence; RJ will also draw a lot of fouls).

As an aside - there's a lot of Duke influence on NY sports at the moment. RJ with the Knicks, Daniel Jones with the Giants, and just realized that Marcus Stroman (of the Mets) was also a Duke grad... and of course Lance Thomas with the Nets. :p

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
StarksEwing1

10/10/2019  10:09 AM
technomaster wrote:I think the Knicks are getting back on track, at least in terms of having some players piquing the interest of the fans (if not winning!).

I feel pretty good about the potential of Mitch, Randle, RJ, Knox eventually forming the backbone of a playoff contender in the near future.
I do see Frank as a component of that as a glue player that you put on the floor and he just fills in the gaps, though I'm not sure if management would agree yet.

Back injuries notwithstanding, I'm less sure about DSJ's future here - I've been a fan of Elfrid Payton for years and DSJ has to improve his consistency in a lot of areas to meet or exceed what Elfrid can do today; plus I think we're already seeing signs of RJ establishing himself as a legit NBA floor general. The ball dominant PG role might not be a role that fits with the Knicks' deeper structure of skilled offensive players at other positions. As is often called out for any of our players, if any of these young guys can become really solid shooters in game situations, it would transform this team.

Certainly it gives us something to watch and hope for. But what's nice is that until that happens we can try to grind out games with physical bullies on the court (Randle, Morris, Porter, and Gibson give us a really strong physical presence; RJ will also draw a lot of fouls).

As an aside - there's a lot of Duke influence on NY sports at the moment. RJ with the Knicks, Daniel Jones with the Giants, and just realized that Marcus Stroman (of the Mets) was also a Duke grad... and of course Lance Thomas with the Nets. :p

Agreed. I do think The Knicks are gonna be better than people think. sure they may have not gotten the "sexy" names if FA but the guys we signed are good at filling different roles. We have a lot of young talent that is coming into their 2nd or 3rd year and should be better. Im not saying we are all of sudden a big playoff contender but I think the hatchet job the media has doe against us isn't fair. Plus we aren't tied into any big contracts long term so if we were gearing up to make another FA splash in the future we could do so. We also have additional drat picks which is important.
fishmike
USA
10/10/2019  11:43 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
technomaster wrote:I think the Knicks are getting back on track, at least in terms of having some players piquing the interest of the fans (if not winning!).

Agreed. I do think The Knicks are gonna be better than people think. sure they may have not gotten the "sexy" names if FA but the guys we signed are good at filling different roles. We have a lot of young talent that is coming into their 2nd or 3rd year and should be better. Im not saying we are all of sudden a big playoff contender but I think the hatchet job the media has doe against us isn't fair. Plus we aren't tied into any big contracts long term so if we were gearing up to make another FA splash in the future we could do so. We also have additional drat picks which is important.
It think Randle is a great top flight pick up. Especially when you consider needs and chemistry I would rather have Randle than some of the "bigger" names. We got lucky because his current team wasnt resigning him after that 1 year deal and drafting Zion. Guy is 24, super athletic, healthy and continues to get better and more eff%

I think we got really lucky signing him and added a playoff quality core player in FA which is fantastic.

StarksEwing1

10/10/2019  11:46 AM
fishmike wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

It think Randle is a great top flight pick up. Especially when you consider needs and chemistry I would rather have Randle than some of the "bigger" names. We got lucky because his current team wasnt resigning him after that 1 year deal and drafting Zion. Guy is 24, super athletic, healthy and continues to get better and more eff%

I think we got really lucky signing him and added a playoff quality core player in FA which is fantastic.

Good Point. I liked the signing. I also. think he is out to prove a lot of people wrong. The "critics" were being sarcastic saying Randle was our "big" signing with a smirk on their face. Kid is young, talented, and on a pretty good contract
fishmike
USA
10/10/2019  12:13 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
fishmike wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Good Point. I liked the signing. I also. think he is out to prove a lot of people wrong. The "critics" were being sarcastic saying Randle was our "big" signing with a smirk on their face. Kid is young, talented, and on a pretty good contract
People love to **** on the Knicks. Its easy pickings. Knocking the Randle signing is stupid. Its not Al Harrington. Knicks were pretty public about landing a couple of big fish so a Morris/Randle combo deserves a smirk. Fine. Come over here and say that **** and my boy Marcus will boink you on the head with a practice ball
Preseason GameThread @ Wiz 10/7: Holy cow I didn't realize first game was tomorrow

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy