[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Around the NBA 2019-20
Author Thread
wargames
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6053

6/28/2020  7:29 AM
martin wrote:Nice

It’s only nice if all the proceeds from the sales of these jerseys are donated to charity. Obviously Nike should be able to cover costs, but beyond that if they keep the money from this then this “activism” is just a cash grab.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/29/2020  10:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/29/2020  10:45 PM
The NBA and WNBA will be painting "BLM" on the court. Good news.

Im concerned in 2-3 weeks after resuming the season, some players will get sick enough to cancel the season altogether.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/30/2020  12:25 PM
So is now the time to unload all of those Dinwiddie coins or should I hold on? Joking aside, I don't see how the NBA can continue safely, even in a bubble.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/30/2020  3:04 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:So is now the time to unload all of those Dinwiddie coins or should I hold on? Joking aside, I don't see how the NBA can continue safely, even in a bubble.

Even, if by some miracle the Orlando thing goes ahead, and if by a further miracle it makes it through to completion, I don’t see how next season then starts in November/December

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/30/2020  3:16 PM
smackeddog wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:So is now the time to unload all of those Dinwiddie coins or should I hold on? Joking aside, I don't see how the NBA can continue safely, even in a bubble.

Even, if by some miracle the Orlando thing goes ahead, and if by a further miracle it makes it through to completion, I don’t see how next season then starts in November/December

Wild ride everyone is on

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
7/1/2020  2:30 PM
NBA teams doing right:

smackeddog
7/1/2020  5:03 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Wild ride everyone is on

It is kind of weird that no one has mentioned this until now- all that talk of them playing cards and ping pong, ha ha

wargames
Member: #6053

7/1/2020  6:17 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Wild ride everyone is on

It is kind of weird that no one has mentioned this until now- all that talk of them playing cards and ping pong, ha ha

True story Mike Tyson slept with a house maid during one camp his trainer banned him from seeing women. No way all those athletes honor a quarantine.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
martin
USA
7/4/2020  3:06 PM
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/4/2020  6:17 PM
GustavBahler wrote:The NBA and WNBA will be painting "BLM" on the court. Good news.

Would be horrible for the game in general long term and for the NBPA and all players long term.

There has been a long standing unspoken agreement with the government and professional sports in America. For the most part, professional sports are allowed to regulate themselves without much government interference. Part of the pact is to keep sports as a neutral zone for all other issues aside from the game itself.

Players have multiple platforms in the modern/tech age to get their opinions out there OUTSIDE of the game itself.

These matters are an extension of personal political views of an individual NBA player, which will come to a head with other NBA players who think differently. That's a source of conflict that the sport doesn't need. If you allow this, what happens when an NBA player demands to get his religious views on his jersey? Where does it end?

Being an NBA player is still a job at some level. You just can't get up and say what you want and when you want on everything you want whenever you feel like it. Not at work. That's for everyone, not just NBA players.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/4/2020  11:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/4/2020  11:53 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:The NBA and WNBA will be painting "BLM" on the court. Good news.

Would be horrible for the game in general long term and for the NBPA and all players long term.

There has been a long standing unspoken agreement with the government and professional sports in America. For the most part, professional sports are allowed to regulate themselves without much government interference. Part of the pact is to keep sports as a neutral zone for all other issues aside from the game itself.

Players have multiple platforms in the modern/tech age to get their opinions out there OUTSIDE of the game itself.

These matters are an extension of personal political views of an individual NBA player, which will come to a head with other NBA players who think differently. That's a source of conflict that the sport doesn't need. If you allow this, what happens when an NBA player demands to get his religious views on his jersey? Where does it end?

Being an NBA player is still a job at some level. You just can't get up and say what you want and when you want on everything you want whenever you feel like it. Not at work. That's for everyone, not just NBA players.

When it has come to combating racism, you're eloquently speaking of a line that hasnt existed in the NBA since the 1940s. If the Knicks wanted to avoid politics, they never would have signed "Sweetwater" Clifton, the first African American, to an NBA contract. Integration was the third rail of politics, then as it is now.

Politics is what got Donald Sterling bounced from the NBA by a player revolt, not his epic failures as an NBA owner over the span of decades. Its what got Marge Schott exiled from the Reds. Al Campanis fired by the Dodgers.

The NBA has been affirming for decades its opposition to racism and bigotry. This effort, is a reflection of current events. A more creative PSA that tells fans around the World, they hear them. Its the right thing to do.

As a strategy its also sound business. Most players in the NBA are black. The NBA ia a global brand with millions of non-white fans.

The murder of George Floyd sparked global protests. Most Americans, most NBA fans support the protests. Telling fans that they support the cause is a smart way to build a loyal fanbase. As well as the right thing to do.

When the Knicks weighed their options, they decided to sign Clifton, in spite of the likely reaction in some quarters. They wanted to (in a very political act) be on the right side of history. Even if it meant losing some racist fans. The NBA is still taking the same approach.

smackeddog
7/5/2020  3:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/5/2020  3:58 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Not doing or allowing a political statement is a political statement, not speaking out favours the status quo. Why is the NFL allowed to stop someone taking the knee at the national anthem but that's not considered a political statement, but taking the knee is a political statement?

There's no such thing as political neutrality when it comes to basic human rights- you're either for them or against them. The truth is the only people angry about or against the notion that "black lives matter" are people who don't really think black lives matter, which is just a f***ed up viewpoint however much it's dressed up.

Think of it like this- if it was a campaign to stop child killings by cops and other governmental policies and institutions, would you really take umbridge at them painting "Childrens lives matter" on the court because it was 'too political'? Of course not.

martin
USA
7/7/2020  12:01 PM
Yikes

smackeddog
7/7/2020  1:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/7/2020  1:15 PM
martin wrote:Yikes

Both DeAndre Jordan and Dinwiddie having symptoms- do hope they're not severe and don't cause any long term issues.

Beal is also sitting it out, though not covid related (blaming a shoulder injury), so Wiz will also be fielding a g-league team (no betrans, no wall)

Bucks, Heat, Clippers Nuggets and Nets have all closed their practice facilities following covid-19 tests

Oof, this could get ugly quickly

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/7/2020  4:25 PM
Atkinson might have dodged a bullet. Life is about timing.

If he wasn't fired from the Nets, he might have gotten it. Well, he might get it anyway.

The group that's going to take the biggest hit immediately are fringe draft pick candidates. Where traditional workouts and interviews might have catapulted them up just enough to get drafted at all.

To the Knicks advantage, they are a "cash rich" team and other teams will be looking to dump salary. Team might be able to get a pretty good player ( not elite) just for eating the ugliness of said players contract.

The other issue is that elite/franchise players, a few them, might already have COVID19 but the information is not public yet.

The legitimate fear is teams will have incentive now to manipulate the salary floor. Elite players will still get their big piece of chicken. Rookies will get their slotted amount. But everyone in the middle is going to feel the hit.

Gentlemen, this is bad. I mean bad. Obviously there are bigger problems in the world than just the NBA, but this pandemic has the potential to rip this league in half.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/7/2020  7:25 PM
TripleThreat wrote:Atkinson might have dodged a bullet. Life is about timing.

If he wasn't fired from the Nets, he might have gotten it. Well, he might get it anyway.

The group that's going to take the biggest hit immediately are fringe draft pick candidates. Where traditional workouts and interviews might have catapulted them up just enough to get drafted at all.

To the Knicks advantage, they are a "cash rich" team and other teams will be looking to dump salary. Team might be able to get a pretty good player ( not elite) just for eating the ugliness of said players contract.

The other issue is that elite/franchise players, a few them, might already have COVID19 but the information is not public yet.

The legitimate fear is teams will have incentive now to manipulate the salary floor. Elite players will still get their big piece of chicken. Rookies will get their slotted amount. But everyone in the middle is going to feel the hit.

Gentlemen, this is bad. I mean bad. Obviously there are bigger problems in the world than just the NBA, but this pandemic has the potential to rip this league in half.

its unfortunate some will have to take short term deals and hope revenue comes back. once upon a time energy rich THunder might be a hard pressed to dump CP3 and pay incentive. Strange how Seattle wealth has grown with tech and OKC has dropped. Send Thunder back to Seattle.

martin
USA
7/7/2020  9:20 PM
Where is Crush, I know he will love this

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/8/2020  1:33 AM
martin wrote:Where is Crush, I know he will love this

LMAO!!!! Not the biggest MDA fan but love his sense of humor!

smackeddog
7/10/2020  2:23 PM
LOL Woj dropping a true Woj bomb:

He's just had to apologize for it, hope that's as far as it goes, I agreed with his email

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/10/2020  3:12 PM
smackeddog wrote:LOL Woj dropping a true Woj bomb:

He's just had to apologize for it, hope that's as far as it goes, I agreed with his email

I have absolutely no love for Sen. Hawley, but I do agree with him on the China point. But I would ask the senator how can he be so vocal for civil rights elsewhere and ignore the civil rights violations that routinely take place stateside.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Around the NBA 2019-20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy