4/20/2020  12:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/20/2020  12:50 PM

Championship duo right here!
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/20/2020  1:10 PM
Thanks Legend. Twist the knife a bit more.
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
4/20/2020  5:54 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/why-the-nations-top-prep-player-is-opting-for-the-g-league-170038681.html

With Jalen Green announcing he’s bypassing college and joining the NBA’s G League for the 2020-21 season, he’s attempting to forge a new path for elite prospects.

The five-star recruit who is ranked No. 2 in the 2020 high school class by Rivals.com has reached a substantial six-figure deal, sources said, to partner with the G League for a year before entering the 2021 NBA draft, where he’s a candidate to be the No. 1 overall pick.

The G League will create a “Select Team” in a designated city with a few roster spots for elite high school players who want to play professionally instead of going to college, sources said. The rest of the roster will be made up of veteran players.

Green, a 6-foot-6 shooting guard from Fresno, California, will serve as the face of this unique new pathway to the NBA. The G League is also offering Green a full scholarship if he wants to obtain his college degree.

Wow. Select contracts started this past season but only paid $125k. Going to 500k is a huge change. It seems like this will definitely hurt the ncaa. I believe JVG talked about high school seniors going directly to the g league on a podcast last summer. His take was that it would hurt their draft stock and that the grown men/professionals would be too good, too strong and too motivated for these kids to have the type of success they would have in college. Having a ‘select’ team is an interesting new spin to this.

I was kind of thinking about that this mourning. Confidence is a huge factor in development. The G-league could become a humbling experience for 17-18 yr olds. This is also all a new process which I am sure a lot of kinks will need to be ironed out. Jalen Green could end up being a sacraficial lamb for the process.

In the grand scheme of things though. I am happy that players will have another available option besides college or overseas. NBA's development player development. While it has improved over this past decade. It still has a long way to go. Strengthening the G-league will go a long ways toward that.

Yep, plus the expectations are different for a high schooler in the MLB minors than one who is in the G-League. I can see all the knee jerk reactions when Jalen doesn't show dominance from the start. Remember how we killed RJ after summer league? We may need tiers like AA and AAA. Jalen reminds me of Vince Carter out of highschool. Tremendous athletic talents. But Vince stayed three years at UNC, although he only needed two IMHO. Does a year in the G-League equal a year in structured developmental environment like Villanova? I guess we'll find out at some point.
Ouch. This is a really bad list of coaches for what they hope to accomplish.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
4/20/2020  5:59 PM
Wrong tweet. Candidates to coach the select team are Fiz, Brian Shaw and Sam Mitchell.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

4/20/2020  11:38 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Wrong tweet. Candidates to coach the select team are Fiz, Brian Shaw and Sam Mitchell.

Brian Shaw might the best bet. Sam is too old school and Fix might not be tough enough, although I'm sure people are curious as to how well Jalen Green plays as a small ball center.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
4/21/2020  10:39 AM
Mind Reader and educated guesser extraordinaire Harvey Aaraton is on the locker on Knicks pod.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
4/22/2020  1:30 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/why-the-nations-top-prep-player-is-opting-for-the-g-league-170038681.html

With Jalen Green announcing he’s bypassing college and joining the NBA’s G League for the 2020-21 season, he’s attempting to forge a new path for elite prospects.

The five-star recruit who is ranked No. 2 in the 2020 high school class by Rivals.com has reached a substantial six-figure deal, sources said, to partner with the G League for a year before entering the 2021 NBA draft, where he’s a candidate to be the No. 1 overall pick.

The G League will create a “Select Team” in a designated city with a few roster spots for elite high school players who want to play professionally instead of going to college, sources said. The rest of the roster will be made up of veteran players.

Green, a 6-foot-6 shooting guard from Fresno, California, will serve as the face of this unique new pathway to the NBA. The G League is also offering Green a full scholarship if he wants to obtain his college degree.

Wow. Select contracts started this past season but only paid $125k. Going to 500k is a huge change. It seems like this will definitely hurt the ncaa. I believe JVG talked about high school seniors going directly to the g league on a podcast last summer. His take was that it would hurt their draft stock and that the grown men/professionals would be too good, too strong and too motivated for these kids to have the type of success they would have in college. Having a ‘select’ team is an interesting new spin to this.

I was kind of thinking about that this mourning. Confidence is a huge factor in development. The G-league could become a humbling experience for 17-18 yr olds. This is also all a new process which I am sure a lot of kinks will need to be ironed out. Jalen Green could end up being a sacraficial lamb for the process.

In the grand scheme of things though. I am happy that players will have another available option besides college or overseas. NBA's development player development. While it has improved over this past decade. It still has a long way to go. Strengthening the G-league will go a long ways toward that.

Yep, plus the expectations are different for a high schooler in the MLB minors than one who is in the G-League. I can see all the knee jerk reactions when Jalen doesn't show dominance from the start. Remember how we killed RJ after summer league? We may need tiers like AA and AAA. Jalen reminds me of Vince Carter out of highschool. Tremendous athletic talents. But Vince stayed three years at UNC, although he only needed two IMHO. Does a year in the G-League equal a year in structured developmental environment like Villanova? I guess we'll find out at some point.
Ouch. This is a really bad list of coaches for what they hope to accomplish.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2887970-nba-reportedly-hopes-to-grow-g-league-select-team-into-full-division

The NBA reportedly has bigger plans for the G League's "Select Team" after top high school stars Jalen Green and Isaiah Todd signed up for the developmental program.

Per Marc Stein of the New York Times, the NBA has "long-range hopes" of turning the Select Team into a division of the G League with "multiple teams that can play against each other."

Green, the No. 3 recruit in the 2020 class in 247Sports' composite rankings, became the first high-profile high school prospect to bypass both college and overseas leagues to sign with the G League when he announced his decision April 16.

According to ESPN's Jonathan Givony and Adrian Wojnarowski, the NBA "reshaped" its professional pathway program to pay elite prospects at least $500,000 and put them through a one-year development program that would take place outside the G League's traditional structure.

G League president Shareef Abdur-Rahim told Givony and Wojnarowski the NBA began looking for ways to entice top prospects after RJ Hampton and LaMelo Ball chose to play in Australia for one year before declaring for the NBA draft:

"We have kids leaving the United States -- Texas and California and Georgia -- to go around the world to play, and our NBA community has to travel there to scout them. That's counterintuitive. The NBA is the best development system in the world, and those players shouldn't have to go somewhere else to develop for a year. They should be in our development system."

As things stand, the Select Team could play 10 to 12 games against G League competition, but the results wouldn't count in the official standings, per Givony. Players will also receive professional coaching and training, participate in community events and attend life-skills programs.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Nalod
USA
4/23/2020  9:50 AM
They doing all this because 2-3 players a year play over seas? I doubt that.
They worried too many kids will opt for the draft and the failure rate will go up. NBA is likely going the route of Hockey and Jr clubs as they do in Europe. Take them at 16 and let them finish high school elsewhere. Issue I have is a kid with a great trajectory in high school sometimes does not fulfil that. Perry Ellis from Kansas with an incredible prep career and accolades, and had a nice college career with awards......went undrafted. Valedvictorian of his high school! He never made it to the NBA. Trier was the best 8th grader in the country and was already being recruited. My point is these kids heads are filled with big promise and the adults around are not always looking for there best interests. Its a low % of players who make it to the NBA, then you have to stay!!! Every year NBA will draft 60 new kids, and perhaps sign 20 more. That means every year that number fades out. Some play in Europe or China for good money, but not the big money they dream of. They go off to another country as professionals but have been coddled and lack many life skills as adults to handle what comes before them. Its not the NBA's job handle a kid. its his parents job and they are not always up to the task!
Look at our Dennis Smith Jr, kid is making big money in his third year, and will get one more. Not sure how he handles his money but easy to say after taxes, union dues, insurance and agent fees, he brings home half. If he at age 24 has 10mm in the bank that would be amazing. But he looks miserable and how does he see himself? With so much emphisis on his back, his knees, his stress, and "Life" how does a kid develop properly? He has been celebrated as a special person for his basketball skills but when that disipates whats left? Its one thing for a guy who got 10 years in the league and has to grow into a new role, but when your self esteem is tied to basketball statistics this is something else.
Maybe the league and the NCAA should look at having top players do "apprentice" programs where certain schools like Duke, Kentucky, etc can have adjunt personal to better ready them for a pro career and yet let develop skills on a campus that offers so much for them intelectually, culturally and socially. Not every kid is "college material" but they offer remidial tutoring for those in need and perhaps a baseline. Kids sign contracts but for goodness sake they need to be able to read. They get millions, they need basic math skills..........Not just that they dreamed of having a signiture shoe and now fulfilling a dream. I don't care if its the NCAA, AAU, Agents, parents, etc.........I hate these kids get taken advantage of and nobody tells them "no" out of fear.
newyorknewyork
4/30/2020  10:31 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-five-star-prospect-daishen-nix-to-decommit-from-ucla-join-g-league-164944095.html

One-time UCLA commit Daishen Nix has joined the exodus from the NCAA to the G League.

The five-star high school recruit has rescinded his commitment to the Bruins and signed with the NBA’s developmental league instead, G League president Shareef Abdur-Rahim announced. The Nix news follows the G League commitments of top prep prospects Jalen Green and Isaiah Todd.

Nix is considered one of the top point guard prospects in the 2021 NBA draft class. He originally committed to UCLA in August 2019, before his senior year at Trinity International in Las Vegas.

Nix, Green and Todd are all listed among the top 30 prospects in their class by Rivals.com. All three will play for the G League’s newly formed Select Team, a roster unaffiliated with any NBA team that will also feature veterans in an effort to prepare top prospects for the rigors of the NBA. The team will focus on basketball and life skills training in addition to its G League schedule.

The NBA is considering the use of the Mamba Sports Academy — founded by the late Kobe Bryant — as the training facility, and veteran coaches Sam Mitchell, David Fizdale and Brian Shaw as coaches for the Select Team, according to Yahoo Sports NBA Insider Chris Haynes.

Green will reportedly earn $500,000 for the 2020-21 season. Both Todd and Nix are also expected to command significant six-figure salaries in addition to full collegiate scholarship opportunities under the NBA’s developmental program.

newyorknewyork
4/30/2020  10:40 AM
Do you think this select G-league thing will eventually be able to snag a highly rated Euros down the road? Would they be able to entice a future Luka? Cuz if they are able to also poach some of the top Euro youth to go with the top American high school prospects by offering them mins & money...
newyorknewyork
4/30/2020  10:52 AM
Actually probably not likely since these guys get locked into contracts that require buyouts.
Nalod
USA
4/30/2020  12:57 PM
Euros have Jr clubs they get in at 16 years old.

Read NBA could finish the league in Orlando at Disney. Makes sense, its a sort of campus with security.

BigDaddyG

4/30/2020  6:59 PM
Final season !

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
wargames
Member: #6053

5/3/2020  9:04 PM
Wolves said they want to keep Malik and Juancho. They might be willing to trade down from their pick #6 or pick #16 to save money or add it to an an contract like James Johnson to make space.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/4/2020  3:51 AM
wargames wrote:Wolves said they want to keep Malik and Juancho. They might be willing to trade down from their pick #6 or pick #16 to save money or add it to an an contract like James Johnson to make space.

I'd love either of their picks. I'd happily take on James Johnsons $14mil expiring and Jake Laymans $4mil for their top pick. Depending on where they land, maybe they'd also be willing to trade down for some cap relief and our pick.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/5/2020  10:01 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/5/2020  12:52 PM
martin wrote:

Seems its been deleted- what did it say?

martin
USA
5/5/2020  1:11 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

Seems its been deleted- what did it say?

unfortunate, it was just funny

martin
USA
5/6/2020  5:58 PM
BigDaddyG

5/7/2020  1:47 AM
martin wrote:

Around the NBA 2019-20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy