CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Another nice game by Melo. Can't get much more efficient than 28 pts on 17 shots. And best defensive rating next to Whiteside. The return of Olympic Dad Melo.
Lillard is an absolute freak. How long will it be before Stotts has him unleashing half court 3's? Multiple highlights being labeled "See Lillard's 47 foot three"

Melo really hasn't been that efficient from offense overall. He's shooting a nice percentage from three. He should take more. Haven't really watched Portland. Wonder if Stotts is just keeping him in the mid-range area to make more space for the guards.

Not talking about overall, just this one game, where he also extended his clutch shots lead over anyone playing since 2003.

When you've got the backcourt that Portland has (when McCollum shows up), Melo ends up taking more mid range, even though there's lots of hate for the long 2. He's getting some games where he's wide open from 3, but from what little I've actually seen, he's still playing bully ball as well.

Biggest difference is that Portland is not sticking him in the corner and looking for him to just be a 3pt shooter. Coach is letting him post up and play mid range.

Stotts is a really good coach. D'Antoni sucks. Got to see the suck in NY. I do wonder if Melo finally healed from his knee surgery. He looks a lot better than he did in OKC.

You are showing your blind spot with the Dantoni hate

Maybe. Thought it was a big mistake for Melo to go play for a guy that waited five years for his career to take an upswing before trashing Melo. I don't think Mike ever wins a championship. I don't think he adapts to his roster and I think his short rotations destroy his team when the playoffs come around.

On the other hand Mike ushered in the modern NBA, made a god of Harden, has made the finals, won Coach of the year with 2 different teams.

You know who also shortened rotations during playoffs? Pat Riley and nearly every other deep playoff coach.

We disagree about D’Antoni but to me Melo looks better than he did his last year with the Knicks. Maybe he is just finally healthy and needed the time off.

Or maybe he's just playing with the type of PG's he never had a chance to play with.

Just think, when he was 3rd in MVP votes, he had Kidd and Felton playing at a high level

That was 7 years ago when he was 28!

AUTOADVERT
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
1/17/2020  10:14 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Another nice game by Melo. Can't get much more efficient than 28 pts on 17 shots. And best defensive rating next to Whiteside. The return of Olympic Dad Melo.
Lillard is an absolute freak. How long will it be before Stotts has him unleashing half court 3's? Multiple highlights being labeled "See Lillard's 47 foot three"

Melo really hasn't been that efficient from offense overall. He's shooting a nice percentage from three. He should take more. Haven't really watched Portland. Wonder if Stotts is just keeping him in the mid-range area to make more space for the guards.

Not talking about overall, just this one game, where he also extended his clutch shots lead over anyone playing since 2003.

When you've got the backcourt that Portland has (when McCollum shows up), Melo ends up taking more mid range, even though there's lots of hate for the long 2. He's getting some games where he's wide open from 3, but from what little I've actually seen, he's still playing bully ball as well.

Biggest difference is that Portland is not sticking him in the corner and looking for him to just be a 3pt shooter. Coach is letting him post up and play mid range.

Stotts is a really good coach. D'Antoni sucks. Got to see the suck in NY. I do wonder if Melo finally healed from his knee surgery. He looks a lot better than he did in OKC.

Maybe. Thought it was a big mistake for Melo to go play for a guy that waited five years for his career to take an upswing before trashing Melo. I don't think Mike ever wins a championship. I don't think he adapts to his roster and I think his short rotations destroy his team when the playoffs come around.

On the other hand Mike ushered in the modern NBA, made a god of Harden, has made the finals, won Coach of the year with 2 different teams.

You know who also shortened rotations during playoffs? Pat Riley and nearly every other deep playoff coach.

We disagree about D’Antoni but to me Melo looks better than he did his last year with the Knicks. Maybe he is just finally healthy and needed the time off.

Or maybe he's just playing with the type of PG's he never had a chance to play with.

Just think, when he was 3rd in MVP votes, he had Kidd and Felton playing at a high level

Kidd and Felton 7 years ago are comparable to Lillard and McCollum now???
Glad you didn't say JR Smith was the reason.

Portland's bench sucks, so they're not going very far even if they make the playoffs.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/17/2020  10:47 AM
Lets be fair, Melo is a bonafide HOF prolific scorer whose game was put together in a different era. There are plenty of stars over the years that were not in great situations like Adrian Dantly, Glenn Robinson.......Etc. These were great players who got paid top dollar as one of the best in the business. As Melo aged his game declined some, and he was asked to do things he was not able or willing to step up to. Why should he? He was "Melo"!
That might sound condescending to Melo defenders like Jrod but its not meant to.
Was he treated "Fair" when exiled from NY and OK and HOU? I dunno, but I give him props for putting the work in and bring his game back up to contribute as he has. Blazers took a step back but McCollum and Dame are both better than anyone he played with in NY. Knicks had some good names but they were way past their primes.
With Melo its about expectations.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
1/17/2020  1:34 PM
His game was put together in the same era as Lebron and Wade. Not sure if the dinosaur argument still holds any water. Melo shoots, he scores. Midrange AND 3's. He rebounds. He throws the somewhat more than occasional pass. Now, he's defending more than before. He's 35 and playing over 30 minutes a game.
Does anyone KNOW what he was asked to do as he aged? Not quite sure. We read alot of heresay, and watched OKC and Houston go relatively nowhere after moving on without him.

PG and Russ and Harden and CP3 were also better than anyone he played with in NYC.

With Melo here it was about the misfit toys he had to play with. Post Knicks, it's more about the environment Melo finds himself in. Is Stotts a factor in how he's using Melo? Dunno. Looks pretty much now like the same Melo we watched here. Maybe not quite as fat.

CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
1/17/2020  5:44 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
1/17/2020  9:26 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

That's the playoff tho. How many times does Harden have to tire out in the post-season before Stache learns to let his foot up in the regular season. And I'll always harp on his ability to make all the talent in his roster connect with his system. Forget Melo, look at CP3. He looked washed in Houston last year.

Saw someone on twitter call Mike seven player rotation or less.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/17/2020  10:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Wow...you wouldn't believe how sad I was when my dreams of a KO, Zion, KD and Kyrie's lineup came crashing down. Things are bad, but they could've been a lot worse.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
1/18/2020  6:47 PM
Watching Nets/Bucks. Man that grey court sucks. Giannis playing with 3 fouls in the second quarter.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/18/2020  6:48 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
martin wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

That's the playoff tho. How many times does Harden have to tire out in the post-season before Stache learns to let his foot up in the regular season. And I'll always harp on his ability to make all the talent in his roster connect with his system. Forget Melo, look at CP3. He looked washed in Houston last year.

Saw someone on twitter call Mike seven player rotation or less.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/19/2020  10:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/19/2020  10:47 AM

This would have been a nice way for US to pick up a couple of second rounders. As I hoped a few weeks ago, we should be on the look out out for teams looking to dump salary and picks. We have Bullock Taj, Ellington and Portis that are easily at the same level of Trevor Ariza.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/19/2020  11:08 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:

This would have been a nice way for US to pick up a couple of second rounders. As I hoped a few weeks ago, we should be on the look out out for teams looking to dump salary and picks. We have Bullock Taj, Ellington and Portis that are easily at the same level of Trevor Ariza.

Yeah, but we also have Mills calling the shots don't trust him not to go into job saving mode (it's the skill that's made him last so long)

CrushAlot
USA
1/19/2020  12:00 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:

Bazemore is making 19 mil this year. Portland was looking to lower their tax hit. Not sure the Knicks could have provided the cap/tax relief that the Kings did. Ariza's salary was 12.5 mil.
HofstraBBall

1/19/2020  2:17 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Bazemore is making 19 mil this year. Portland was looking to lower their tax hit. Not sure the Knicks could have provided the cap/tax relief that the Kings did. Ariza's salary was 12.5 mil.

Does not Portis and Dotson or Portis and Wooten or Allen get them there? Believe Portis and Dotson saves them even more than current trade. Would rather give up Allen or Wooten but dont know if that entices them nor if Allen or Wooten can be traded. Question is was a call made to all teams letting them know Knicks were looking to do these type of deals? Have to think they did? Hopefully. I also know that Bazemore has a good relationship with Walton and maybe Portland FO had his interest in mind.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/19/2020  2:38 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Does not Portis and Dotson or Portis and Wooten or Allen get them there? Believe Portis and Dotson saves them even more than current trade. Would rather give up Allen or Wooten but dont know if that entices them nor if Allen or Wooten can be traded. Question is was a call made to all teams letting them know Knicks were looking to do these type of deals? Have to think they did? Hopefully. I also know that Bazemore has a good relationship with Walton and maybe Portland FO had his interest in mind.

Wait, why don’t you just go look up the salaries to find out if Portis and whatnot would save Portland more $ instead of the trade they made. And then ask yourself about the players themselves and what positions Blazers were looking for. And then ask yourself if a 2way contract has ever been included in a trade before.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
HofstraBBall

1/19/2020  11:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2020  9:44 AM
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Wait, why don’t you just go look up the salaries to find out if Portis and whatnot would save Portland more $ instead of the trade they made. And then ask yourself about the players themselves and what positions Blazers were looking for. And then ask yourself if a 2way contract has ever been included in a trade before.

Yep. I did prior to posting. Espn trade machine has a Dotson/Portis deal putting Blazers $20m under luxury. Think thats more than Sac deal although the salaries for the Knick trade would be $1m more than the Sac deal for this year. Could not fully compare as Sac trade just made was not allowed by the ESPN trade machine. Mentioned I did not know if Allen or Wooten could be traded as part of my dialogue with Crush. As for what positionsDo you? the Blazers were looking for? Everything! Have you seen their injury report? Besides, Portis and Dotson give them a PF and Wing. Blazers got Ariza to stretch and guard the wing. Something Portis and Dot can do. Regardless, my point was not to come up with a better trade. Bigger Lux savings. As stated, it was that I hope we are out there looking for these kind of deals. As we obviously have the pieces and it was said to be one of the reasons for signing so many short vet contracts. How or why Portland chose Sac town is another story. Does anyone know what other deals they contemplated? Or if they would have preffered other players and less in savings? Don't know. Do you? My point again, was tarehat I hope we had a chance to find out and that the Knicks are out there trying.

CrushAlot
USA
1/20/2020  12:45 PM
CrushAlot
USA
1/20/2020  12:57 PM
CrushAlot
USA
1/20/2020  1:10 PM
CrushAlot
USA
1/20/2020  1:15 PM
CrushAlot
USA
1/20/2020  1:29 PM
Around the NBA 2019-20

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy