[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

FIBA world cup.......
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/10/2019  3:52 PM
NBK wrote:Yes Serbia is tough. Rated #1 after the prep games and coming into the World Cup.

NYKBocker wrote:I have been watching FIBA and the team that will be tough to beat is Serbia. Jokic and his crew are tall, can shoot the lights out and play unselfish team basketball.

I guess that washed up group from Argentina wasn't feeling what you had to say hahaha Luis Scola putting in work with a cane and a tube of Ben Gay.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
9/10/2019  8:08 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
NBK wrote:Yes Serbia is tough. Rated #1 after the prep games and coming into the World Cup.

NYKBocker wrote:I have been watching FIBA and the team that will be tough to beat is Serbia. Jokic and his crew are tall, can shoot the lights out and play unselfish team basketball.

I guess that washed up group from Argentina wasn't feeling what you had to say hahaha Luis Scola putting in work with a cane and a tube of Ben Gay.

How did Scola look?

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigDaddyG

9/10/2019  11:01 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

How did Scola look?

Dropped 20.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
9/11/2019  8:58 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

How did Scola look?

Dropped 20.

Playes within his abilities and played extremely smart.

I also didn't recognize him. He cut his hair and looked totally different.

NYKBocker
USA
9/12/2019  10:13 AM
Team USA defeated again! Serbia 94 USA 89. Dang. The best they can finish now is 7th place. How the mighty have fallen.

You guys think this will put a fire on the so called superstars and actually play in the Olympics? I doubt KD and Kawhi play.

Allanfan20
USA
9/12/2019  11:39 AM
NYKBocker wrote:Team USA defeated again! Serbia 94 USA 89. Dang. The best they can finish now is 7th place. How the mighty have fallen.

You guys think this will put a fire on the so called superstars and actually play in the Olympics? I doubt KD and Kawhi play.

Nope. I think this is hardly a priority. Too much money is on the line.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/12/2019  12:27 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Team USA defeated again! Serbia 94 USA 89. Dang. The best they can finish now is 7th place. How the mighty have fallen.

Feel like there are some simple, real world priorities that anyone could relate to regarding not playing.

If you commit to FIVB and Olympics, it's 2 summers of extra basketball on your body back to back with a season in between and you get away from specific training.

For guys with family, it's time away from home. Can you bring kids? It's the beginning of school and the team is over in China right now. That's tough, right?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYKBocker
USA
9/12/2019  2:44 PM
martin wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

Feel like there are some simple, real world priorities that anyone could relate to regarding not playing.

If you commit to FIVB and Olympics, it's 2 summers of extra basketball on your body back to back with a season in between and you get away from specific training.

For guys with family, it's time away from home. Can you bring kids? It's the beginning of school and the team is over in China right now. That's tough, right?

but this happens to everybody participating in FIBA and the Olympics. The top players from their respective countries have no problem playing and giving their time. What's the difference?

Allanfan20
USA
9/12/2019  5:15 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

but this happens to everybody participating in FIBA and the Olympics. The top players from their respective countries have no problem playing and giving their time. What's the difference?

Like I said.... it’s probably just not important to the players. Should it be??? Is this just important to the fans?? That’s up for you to decide. I can say one thing though. The world has certainly caught up and with Kobe, Wade and Michael gone and LeBron not far from the end, it’s probably not impossible to beat us at our best. I can also say, there is A LOT of money at stake here for the players. I get what Martin is saying about family and other relatable things but if you are risking potential hundreds of millions, would you play for the US? I’m not so sure I would.

Allanfan20
USA
9/12/2019  8:13 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

Like I said.... it’s probably just not important to the players. Should it be??? Is this just important to the fans?? That’s up for you to decide. I can say one thing though. The world has certainly caught up and with Kobe, Wade and Michael gone and LeBron not far from the end, it’s probably not impossible to beat us at our best. I can also say, there is A LOT of money at stake here for the players. I get what Martin is saying about family and other relatable things but if you are risking potential hundreds of millions, would you play for the US? I’m not so sure I would.

Also, lets put it another way.... were you upset that RJ Barrett decided to not play for Canada this Summer? I know I really wasn’t.

Oddly enough, I think this run has been exactly what Frankie boy needs. I am happy for him, whether it translates to the NBA or not. I am routing for France because of him.

NYKBocker
USA
9/12/2019  9:12 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

Also, lets put it another way.... were you upset that RJ Barrett decided to not play for Canada this Summer? I know I really wasn’t.

Oddly enough, I think this run has been exactly what Frankie boy needs. I am happy for him, whether it translates to the NBA or not. I am routing for France because of him.

I was actually a little disappointed that rj didn't play for Canada. Same with Karl Anthony towns and Al horford not playing for Dominican republic. I guess I am a little naive. I want the best to play the best in a world cup type event.

I am definitely rooting for Frank and France.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/12/2019  9:20 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

I was actually a little disappointed that rj didn't play for Canada. Same with Karl Anthony towns and Al horford not playing for Dominican republic. I guess I am a little naive. I want the best to play the best in a world cup type event.

I am definitely rooting for Frank and France.

The loses from injuries became to costly for NBA players.
National teams participation is a honor but financially irrelevant with huge risks.
NBa teams always "recommend" their top players to skip national teams participation and focus on recovery (if needed) and training.
Frank case was different. He is in desperate need to restore his value by playing for the team which actually organized to play for the win not on rebuilding group of strangers. Other factors were irrelevant.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/12/2019  10:48 PM
Certainly not cool how many players backed off. In some countries and cultures its a pride thing.
The Australians, Spanish, French, Argentine’s and others are a tight group. These guy are friends and have build bonds over the years. Marc Gasol played in the finals basically had only a month off. To play with his brother is a big deal over the years. Tony Parker played for years with them. I’m ok with players not going year in and year out.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/12/2019  10:56 PM
Nalod wrote:Certainly not cool how many players backed off. In some countries and cultures its a pride thing.
The Australians, Spanish, French, Argentine’s and others are a tight group. These guy are friends and have build bonds over the years. Marc Gasol played in the finals basically had only a month off. To play with his brother is a big deal over the years. Tony Parker played for years with them. I’m ok with players not going year in and year out.

Patriotism is not American thing our days. We are more into green...
Patriotism, flags, anthems, and all this things considered more divisive our days that uniting.
It is not an issue for nations you mentioned. Their patriotism is solid as rock for good or for worth.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
USA
9/13/2019  8:56 AM
arkrud wrote:
Nalod wrote:Certainly not cool how many players backed off. In some countries and cultures its a pride thing.

Patriotism is not American thing our days. We are more into green...
Patriotism, flags, anthems, and all this things considered more divisive our days that uniting.
It is not an issue for nations you mentioned. Their patriotism is solid as rock for good or for worth.

True, "patriotism" is being weaponized of late. In the old cold war the "Soviet" vs "American" via hockey or basketball was more important and a source of national pride. Ideologies. The Olympics was the stage and it was every 4 years. Now we have so many competitions and pro leagues with international players participating. Back in the day Sabonis (dad) only played for the Soviet team. Not Euroleague. Going against our college players or "amateurs" was greater intrigue. Few underclass players came out early if any and it was very prestigious to represent in the Olympics. For many being a pro athlete was a stepping stone to other successful careers. Now its a source of Multigenerational wealth.

Given our diversity as a people we are not all just "American" we are culturally diverse. Canada and Israel are as well. For the most part teams from other countries are not as much. Argentines play for their country, Spanish for spain, French for France, etc etc.

USA losing does not make me feel a sense of national shame or loss. IN fact it might make winning more gradifying in the future. The rest of the world plays ball and its just a matter of numbers over time.

Our team is not consistent. This group was a sort of third level allstar group thrown together. Chemistry was not there. They did sacrifice their summer and time off and will likely get little but grief for not winning. not that anyone would have cared either had they won. Again, blame will be thrown about as to who backed out and who did not.

BigDaddyG

9/13/2019  9:53 AM
Can't watch the game, but it sounds like Luis Scola is killing France. The bright spot is that Frank is one of the guys who showed up to play for France. Our boy Labery(sp?) also looked decent according to the game thread I'm following on Reddit.
NYKBocker
USA
9/13/2019  9:57 AM
Argentina beating France now. Scola taking Gobert to school. Fournier shooting was off. That argentinian PG Facundo Campazzo looks good.

Oh...Tom Thibodeau is the worst color commentator. Dude has great info but his delivery bores me to death.

BigDaddyG

9/13/2019  10:02 AM
Frank finishes with 16...Our French Prince is growing into a French King lol
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

9/13/2019  10:16 AM
martin wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

this is all true. But personally i'm kind of pissed and think there should be some public shaming going on

first, when a decent contingent shows up it's not like the NBA players have a hard time. True there will be some risk of injury but as a general matter there is so much quality depth that this is minor

these guys need to show some pride; it should be an honor to be chosen

(5)(5)
Nalod
USA
9/13/2019  10:20 AM
I'd say the kid had a very good summer!!!
That Argentine team is solid. France after beating US had that awful and typical letdown game.
consolation was our kid had a nice shooting game.
FIBA world cup.......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy