[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Report: Dolan’s week gets worse as subscribers flee MSG Networks
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/22/2019  3:45 PM
https://www.crainsnewyork.com/sports/dolans-week-gets-worse-subscribers-flee-msg-networks
The stock decline came a day after shares of Madison Square Garden Co., a separate live-entertainment company also led by Dolan, had a record decline after it disclosed the steep cost of building a new venue in Las Vegas.

Consumers are dropping their cable-TV subscriptions in favor of cheaper online options, threatening the futures of cable-channel owners like MSG Networks that rely on collecting subscriber fees to grow their profits. Sports channels have become especially vulnerable in the era of cord-cutting, as TV distributors create cheaper packages that don’t include them.

A pay as you go MSG app is long overdue. If HBO had to bite the bullet, then it is pretty much inevitable for every cable network to do the same. Was there a conflict with League Pass?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/22/2019  4:22 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:https://www.crainsnewyork.com/sports/dolans-week-gets-worse-subscribers-flee-msg-networks
The stock decline came a day after shares of Madison Square Garden Co., a separate live-entertainment company also led by Dolan, had a record decline after it disclosed the steep cost of building a new venue in Las Vegas.

Consumers are dropping their cable-TV subscriptions in favor of cheaper online options, threatening the futures of cable-channel owners like MSG Networks that rely on collecting subscriber fees to grow their profits. Sports channels have become especially vulnerable in the era of cord-cutting, as TV distributors create cheaper packages that don’t include them.

A pay as you go MSG app is long overdue. If HBO had to bite the bullet, then it is pretty much inevitable for every cable network to do the same. Was there a conflict with League Pass?

The only streaming services that have MSG are Fubo and Directvnow. I like Fubo but they don't have any espn content and I believe their service is $55.00 a month now. To get MSG on Directtv Now you have to have a more expensive package. A pay as you go MSG app would be awesome.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/22/2019  6:08 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:https://www.crainsnewyork.com/sports/dolans-week-gets-worse-subscribers-flee-msg-networks

Dolan wants to build these orb like theaters globally, its supposedly way over budget. Last year ratings for the Knicks are way down. Believe Dolan would have been better served showing that the concept works in one location, build some excitement for this new type of arena, then expand.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/22/2019  11:12 PM
Smart to have sold Cablevision wen he did.
I’d like a new owner also. But I’m not holding my breath.
GustavBahler

8/23/2019  11:11 AM
Nalod wrote:Smart to have sold Cablevision wen he did.

If this big project of his turns into a big, expensive, flop, who knows? Would prefer an old school owner, who from the start, hires the best people they can find, and lets them work.

Dont remember a lot about ITT's involvement, dont remember a lot of drama, with the team anyway. Imagine you have more info on that, than I do. Wouldnt be opposed to a big corporation buying the Knicks, if they have a long term plan for the team. Not just about the next quarter.

Nalod
USA
8/23/2019  12:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/23/2019  12:44 PM
GustavBahler wrote:

If this big project of his turns into a big, expensive, flop, who knows? Would prefer an old school owner, who from the start, hires the best people they can find, and lets them work.

Dont remember a lot about ITT's involvement, dont remember a lot of drama, with the team anyway. Imagine you have more info on that, than I do. Wouldnt be opposed to a big corporation buying the Knicks, if they have a long term plan for the team. Not just about the next quarter.

Paramount owned them before ITT, then was in partnership with Cablevison, and cablevision was a big company.
but we all know how that went. The days of corp. ownership is pretty much done.

Not sure about the structure or ownership group that rather took 6mm instead of DR J in the form of compensation for Nets to come to NBA.
Dumb move.

I think the "good old days' also had some insanity. Knicks in the late 70's thru the ITT divesture in 1997 only had the Riley era to speak of. I recall the failed Starphuch Era of Sonny Werblin trotting out Marvin Webster and Spencer Haywood to great fanfare and little results. If there was discourse there was not the 24/7 media crush infrastructure then as now. Knicks had some bad eras and perhaps corp. bottom line was to blame in part. Success came when Knicks drafted Ewing and checketts hired RIley. Charles Dolan good. Jimmy Dolan bad. Cablevison completed and obtained majority of MSG and properties in 1997.

Do I want an owner with foresight and seriously deep pockets? Of course. Open concept right? Anyone better than Jimmy D. Gotta have them deep ass pockets cuz you don't want an owner with cash problems.

The conglomerate of ITT is long story. It was broken into three parts. What is not called Starwood Hotels and resorts, The Hartford, and Exelis (defense contracting) which was bought by Harris in 2015.

1980s-90's was a time of huge corp. conglomerates. It got GE in trouble years later. American Express owned insurance companies and Shearson Lehman Hutton/Brothers, etc. Different era. Be cool to have Jeff Bezo's own the team? Maybe, maybe not. Gotta be better than Dolan!!! one would hope. If the Mummy curse continued we'd be worse!!! LOL

CrushAlot
USA
8/23/2019  1:05 PM

I saw something on this on reddit. One poster said regional sports networks make more from cable companies then they ever could from having a pay as you go app. Not sure if this accurate.
GustavBahler

8/23/2019  1:11 PM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Paramount owned them before ITT, then was in partnership with Cablevison, and cablevision was a big company.

Not sure about the structure or ownership group that rather took 6mm instead of DR J in the form of compensation for Nets to come to NBA.
Dumb move.

I think the "good old days' also had some insanity. Knicks in the late 70's thru the ITT divesture in 1997 only had the Riley era to speak of. I recall the failed Starphuch Era of Sonny Werblin trotting out Marvin Webster and Spencer Haywood to great fanfare and little results. If there was discourse there was not the 24/7 media crush infrastructure then as now. Knicks had some bad eras and perhaps corp. bottom line was to blame in part. Success came when Knicks drafted Ewing and checketts hired RIley. Charles Dolan good. Jimmy Dolan bad. Cablevison completed and obtained majority of MSG and properties in 1997.

Do I want an owner with foresight and seriously deep pockets? Of course. Open concept right? Anyone better than Jimmy D. Gotta have them deep ass pockets cuz you don't want an owner with cash problems.

The conglomerate of ITT is long story. It was broken into three parts. What is not called Starwood Hotels and resorts, The Hartford, and Exelis (defense contracting) which was bought by Harris in 2015.

1980s-90's was a time of huge corp. conglomerates. It got GE in trouble years later. American Express owned insurance companies and Shearson Lehman Hutton/Brothers, etc. Different era. Be cool to have Jeff Bezo's own the team? Maybe, maybe not. Gotta be better than Dolan!!! one would hope. If the Mummy curse continued we'd be worse!!! LOL

What I liked about corporate ownership of the Knicks was the deep pockets, and the lack of a celebrity owner, who treated the team like a toy. There are definitely good owners in sports. No drama owners, who put the fans first.

Agree about the 80s/90s M&A craze. Thought the two most fascinating stories of that era was Reginald Lewis and Beatrice Foods. Werent a lot of AA execs back then, and he was one of the bigger players out there at the time. Sad he died so young.

The other story would be the RJR/Nabisco merger. Seemed crazy when it happened, even crazier after the book and movie told the story. The movie is funny as hell. Especially the part about Olestra. 100% accurate there. Actually gave people diarreah.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/23/2019  2:03 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

I saw something on this on reddit. One poster said regional sports networks make more from cable companies then they ever could from having a pay as you go app. Not sure if this accurate.

It could be true. Reminds of a few years ago when I read AOL was still making a significant profit from people who never cancelled their dial up subscriptions. Yeah that's nice, but not really sustainable. We're seeing that more people are downsizing their cable TV packages, or getting rid of them altogether. HBO was reluctant to do release HBONow, but they saw the writing on the wall.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
8/23/2019  4:49 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

It could be true. Reminds of a few years ago when I read AOL was still making a significant profit from people who never cancelled their dial up subscriptions. Yeah that's nice, but not really sustainable. We're seeing that more people are downsizing their cable TV packages, or getting rid of them altogether. HBO was reluctant to do release HBONow, but they saw the writing on the wall.
I agree. I think it is going that way. The cable company in our area is Spectrum. They chose to scramble their signal and make customers rent boxes again. They lost a lot of customers to streaming services and I am sure that will continue.
Nalod
USA
8/23/2019  10:46 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Dumb move.

What I liked about corporate ownership of the Knicks was the deep pockets, and the lack of a celebrity owner, who treated the team like a toy. There are definitely good owners in sports. No drama owners, who put the fans first.

Agree about the 80s/90s M&A craze. Thought the two most fascinating stories of that era was Reginald Lewis and Beatrice Foods. Werent a lot of AA execs back then, and he was one of the bigger players out there at the time. Sad he died so young.

The other story would be the RJR/Nabisco merger. Seemed crazy when it happened, even crazier after the book and movie told the story. The movie is funny as hell. Especially the part about Olestra. 100% accurate there. Actually gave people diarreah.

Peter Cohen was my boss for a bit. Dude was arrogant as hell. Few big corp's owned teams. Fox owned the Dodger for a bit. Disney owned the angels. All undone. Steinbrenner bought Yankees from CBS.

GustavBahler

8/24/2019  9:16 AM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Dumb move.

Peter Cohen was my boss for a bit. Dude was arrogant as hell. Few big corp's owned teams. Fox owned the Dodger for a bit. Disney owned the angels. All undone. Steinbrenner bought Yankees from CBS.

Suppose some arrogance is expected, when trying to engineer deals of that scale. Was a time when these "Masters of the Universe" had an off switch. Believe thats where things went south.

As far as corporations owning teams. You wonder if the pressures of a strong quarterly report has something to do with it? IDK.

If the Knicks get a new single majority owner, hope he builds a prectice facility in NYC. Would be able to put his/her stamp on the franchise.Understand now why Dolan hasnt built one, in spite of some stars calling the commute upstate, an impediment. He's building orbs! Reminds me of "Sleeper", lol.

We'll see if Dolan's big gamble pays off. Guessing it would be easier for him to sell the Knicks if he could leave with the franchise back to respectability.

GustavBahler

8/24/2019  9:16 AM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Dumb move.

Suppose some arrogance is expected, when trying to engineer deals of that scale. Was a time when these "Masters of the Universe" had an off switch. Believe thats where things went south.

As far as corporations owning teams. You wonder if the pressures of a strong quarterly report has something to do with it? IDK.

If the Knicks get a new single majority owner, hope he builds a prectice facility in NYC. Would be able to put his/her stamp on the franchise.Understand now why Dolan hasnt built one, in spite of some stars calling the commute upstate, an impediment. He's building orbs! Reminds me of "Sleeper", lol. We'll see if Dolan's big gamble pays off. Guessing it would be easier for him to sell the Knicks if he could leave with the Knicks back to respectability.

Nalod
USA
8/24/2019  8:02 PM
I don’t care who owns the knicks. In fact I hope Dolans end story is a good ending for all of us!!
If teams best interest to have a new owner I’m for that. I can wish for that. I can wish our youth become allstars our coach is great, and our FO provides opportunities.

And becareful. One could get a new owner worst then Dolan. Its possible,

Report: Dolan’s week gets worse as subscribers flee MSG Networks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy