[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank and Labeyerie are playing right now
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
8/8/2019  11:03 AM
There weren't a lot of better players picked after Frank... but they're painful nonetheless.

Most notably:
Donovan Mitchell (23.8ppg, 4.1rpg, 4.2apg, 36% 3pt, 81% FT)
Kyle Kuzma (18.7ppg, 5.5rpg, 2.5apg)
John Collins (19.5ppg, 9.8rpg, 2apg, 35% 3pt)
DSJr
Damyean Dotson :D

It's not a lot of players, but those top 3 above were picked quite a bit AFTER, so lots of teams also missed out too.

The thing probably most shocking about Frank is how poorly he's shot thus far. I don't think the Knicks would have expected him to be this bad. His shot looked okay, if a bit slow, but given that he's not a primary scorer, they probably expected more craftiness and opportunistic scoring.

Those instincts haven't manifested themselves often in real games. We can point to his "great" game vs Lebron as a rookie as evidence that the ability is there, but games like that have been few and far between.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
8/8/2019  11:55 AM
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/8/2019  3:38 PM
technomaster wrote:There weren't a lot of better players picked after Frank... but they're painful nonetheless.

Most notably:
DSJr

It's not a lot of players, but those top 3 above were picked quite a bit AFTER, so lots of teams also missed out too.

The thing probably most shocking about Frank is how poorly he's shot thus far. I don't think the Knicks would have expected him to be this bad. His shot looked okay, if a bit slow, but given that he's not a primary scorer, they probably expected more craftiness and opportunistic scoring.

Those instincts haven't manifested themselves often in real games. We can point to his "great" game vs Lebron as a rookie as evidence that the ability is there, but games like that have been few and far between.

strong rumors if we took Dennis Mav's in line to take Frank. I think we all read that somewhere. We tend to look at our own team in a microcosm and not consider what other teams do except in hindsight. That does not validate the pick, just shows we might not have been off base as to what others thought of him. Its not like the Mav's took Donovan Mitchel or Kuzma. Every year there are players who exceed their draft position. EVERY YEAR. I am long on record that "Luck is when opportunity and preparation collide". We got Mitch. Maybe that itself negates if frank is a bust. increase the amount of picks you increase your luck. Frank was a Phil pick but we are no doubt drafting very young guys so it should be a comfortable environment for him. Would Perry and this scouting crew have taken him at that position? Who's to say? Maybe Fiz hates him. Maybe Perry hates him.
He played 43 games last year. Is bringing in other guys a sign we were giving up on him? Were the trade rumors valid?
You don't keep a guy because we took him at 8th and little value in return. You either keep him because you think he might pan out, or not. We have to pay him and we have room. Kid does so many things well its no wonder many fans like his game. But he has to hit them buckets!!!!!!
One game at a time.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/8/2019  7:40 PM
martin wrote:Frank Thread for latest game. Good follow for scouting stuff.

https://twitter.com/SKPearlman/status/1159420213001183232

Loved the clip of his on ball defense. Reminded me of the clip someone posted of him defending Kyrie.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/19/2019  10:52 AM
Guess France played another game, some good posts that start here

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/19/2019  11:14 AM
nice nice nice.

is it just me or does frank look like he's utilizing the "nba carry" more?

13 mins
8 pts (3-3 FG)
2 rebs
3 assists
1 stl
1-3 from the free throw line

His plus/minus was +18.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/19/2019  11:53 AM
Marv wrote:nice nice nice.

is it just me or does frank look like he's utilizing the "nba carry" more?

13 mins
8 pts (3-3 FG)
2 rebs
3 assists
1 stl
1-3 from the free throw line

His plus/minus was +18.

I noticed it too. That combined with his hesitation dribble and deceptive long strides should help him get into the paint with ease. He just needs to stop being soft on offense and get in there. The results have been erratic, but he's shown more willingness to get inside during these preliminary rounds. This is a make or break year. I've always liked Frank's potential, but he needs to show improvements from the past two years.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/19/2019  12:55 PM
Frank looks a litte faster, but the clips Ive been seeing look like Frank did his rookie year. Hope to see more than that this upcoming season. Has too much competition for minutes, too look more or less the same.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/19/2019  3:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/19/2019  3:22 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Frank looks a litte faster, but the clips Ive been seeing look like Frank did his rookie year. Hope to see more than that this upcoming season. Has too much competition for minutes, too look more or less the same.

I don't see where his minutes will come from, unless there is and injury.

He is flat out not better than payton or DSJ at the point, can't shot better then RJ, Dotson, Trier or Ellington to be a SG, and just not strong enough to play SF.

It's not just his shooting that's the problem, infact, that really is the least of his problems. Fiz "suppose system" is base on everything Frank doesn't do well..heavy ISO, high pace, and 3 point shooting

I don't care if defends like Bowen, Artest or GP combine, if he can't push the pace or knock down open 3's consistently, he is french toast.

From every clip i seen of Frank in the NBA and overseas, that is just not the way he plays basketball, not the way he was taught to play basketball at a young age, and not the role he is comfortable in.

He is not a physical or finesse player, he is a fundamental system oriented player that will do the little things. That works on a top heavy roster with multiple stars and scorers.

Most NBA role players are 10x better than the talent overseas(see jimmer), frank is still a minor role player against much lesser talent

ES
Kemet
Member: #6148

8/19/2019  11:44 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Frank looks a litte faster, but the clips Ive been seeing look like Frank did his rookie year. Hope to see more than that this upcoming season. Has too much competition for minutes, too look more or less the same.

He is flat out not better than payton or DSJ at the point, can't shot better then RJ, Dotson, Trier or Ellington to be a SG, and just not strong enough to play SF.

It's not just his shooting that's the problem, infact, that really is the least of his problems. Fiz "suppose system" is base on everything Frank doesn't do well..heavy ISO, high pace, and 3 point shooting

I don't care if defends like Bowen, Artest or GP combine, if he can't push the pace or knock down open 3's consistently, he is french toast.

From every clip i seen of Frank in the NBA and overseas, that is just not the way he plays basketball, not the way he was taught to play basketball at a young age, and not the role he is comfortable in.

He is not a physical or finesse player, he is a fundamental system oriented player that will do the little things. That works on a top heavy roster with multiple stars and scorers.

Most NBA role players are 10x better than the talent overseas(see jimmer), frank is still a minor role player against much lesser talent

The NBA league has become as soft as the over-sea teams.
However, during the NBA midseason some of the playoff teams does add a little hard-knocks in their performance.

Frank and DSJ were not a Top-5 pick in the draft, both players are equally a work in progress having a raw potential to be star role-players in the future.
As a rookie PG Frank did well coming off the bench behind (veteran) starter PG-Jarrett Jack and SG-Courtney Lee. The two guards were not star players, but they were 9 and 11 yr NBA veterans.
Head-coach Hornacek's system and game substitution did have a lot of flaws, especially on the defensive-end, but Hornacek's coaching-system were a 100% percent better than the so-call system head-coach David Fizdale implemented in the following season.

In Frank and Dotson's 2nd season on the Knicks …
Mills/Perry switch head-coaches and provided the Knicks team a much lower level head-coach than they had in Hornacek in David Fizdale.
Plus Mills/Perry provided very low IQ guards to the Knicks 2018-19 roster in (Mudiay, Burke, Baker, and Timmy) whom skills as a 30 minute starter are only useful or valuable in the G-league.
Mills/Perry did not bother to add a decent NBA role-player at the PF position nor at the SF position on the 2018-19 roster to tandem in the front-court with a double-double center Kanter .. which resulted in the majority of Knick-players wanting to be traded before midseason.

The Knicks Program for young drafted players has always been questionable, after the back-court tandem of Sugar Ray Richardson and Ray Williams in the 1980's.
In the 2019 offseason the Knicks added 9 new players to the roster!
In the 2017 offseason the Knicks added 9 new players to the roster!
In the 2016 offseason the Knicks added 9 new players to the roster!

Nalod
USA
8/20/2019  8:06 AM
Kemet wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

The NBA league has become as soft as the over-sea teams.
However, during the NBA midseason some of the playoff teams does add a little hard-knocks in their performance.

Frank and DSJ were not a Top-5 pick in the draft, both players are equally a work in progress having a raw potential to be star role-players in the future.
As a rookie PG Frank did well coming off the bench behind (veteran) starter PG-Jarrett Jack and SG-Courtney Lee. The two guards were not star players, but they were 9 and 11 yr NBA veterans.
Head-coach Hornacek's system and game substitution did have a lot of flaws, especially on the defensive-end, but Hornacek's coaching-system were a 100% percent better than the so-call system head-coach David Fizdale implemented in the following season.

In Frank and Dotson's 2nd season on the Knicks …
Mills/Perry switch head-coaches and provided the Knicks team a much lower level head-coach than they had in Hornacek in David Fizdale.
Plus Mills/Perry provided very low IQ guards to the Knicks 2018-19 roster in (Mudiay, Burke, Baker, and Timmy) whom skills as a 30 minute starter are only useful or valuable in the G-league.
Mills/Perry did not bother to add a decent NBA role-player at the PF position nor at the SF position on the 2018-19 roster to tandem in the front-court with a double-double center Kanter .. which resulted in the majority of Knick-players wanting to be traded before midseason.

The Knicks Program for young drafted players has always been questionable, after the back-court tandem of Sugar Ray Richardson and Ray Williams in the 1980's.
In the 2019 offseason the Knicks added 9 new players to the roster!
In the 2017 offseason the Knicks added 9 new players to the roster!
In the 2016 offseason the Knicks added 9 new players to the roster!

Majority of players wanted to be traded? Kanter had no future with team and wanted to play for his next contract. Knick could not trade him and did not even as for him to give up money. His Played great in Portland and went from earring 14mm per, to 5mm per on a two year deal with Boston.
CLee never asked for trade nor did Hardaway. KP sure as hell did. There were rumblings about Frank but he did come public and said he never asked for one. It’s possible his agent wanted him to get minutes. Who else wanted out?

Hornacek is a good coach and a bit old school grumpy. I have no issues with his hiring or firing. Given the roster and situation I’m not convinced he’d done much better than Fiz and perhaps would have lost his team. Fiz had them playing hard and there were few blow outs. I’m not going to defend 17 win and say he did a good job. Knicks have a process/plan that transcends one season. Fiz has a 5 year deal, was in year one, Perry in year two. The original plan was to clear cap space for one “star” to play with KP and build around them with youth. Plan B was open space for two stars. The way things played out one might commend the team for not panicking and moved on to plan “C”.

If you can’t find any form of interest in this squad and in developing yoot perhaps your in for a rough time. Some of us find the process interesting. Some are results oriented. That happens too.
Never in our history except for the late 60’s was the team this stacked with potential. Even then Bradley who sat for two years after being drafted (Imagine that today!) was “too slow” and was a “bust”, Phenom Cazzie Russell had knee issues and really never fulfilled his star promise and Phil Jax a valuable scoring forward had major back surgery which was often a career killer than. He reinvented himself. From all that failure became perhaps one of the greatest NBA teams ever.
My point is the future is wide open but hardly certain. My thought is some of these guys might be great and some won’t. Law of averages. We have more “Potential” because the sheer number of young guys. Yes,, some won’t pan out.

Right now RJ, Denis, Mitchell and Knox might be special. Denis is the old man at 21. Frank Just turned 21 last month. I’m not seeing “special” with him but the intrigue of him turning the corner is something I will watch. I’ll watch his French team if I can. Throw in Iggy, thats 6 players under 21.
Trier and Dotson have limited upside given their ages. That not a bad thing. This young team will fight it out for minutes and their careers. The new guys are not stars, but good role players and proven commodities.
I dont’ care about the past. It does not factor into the future. Its not a question of faith, its math. We need just two players to grow up and be special. Can’t say who they are. I’m good with that.

GustavBahler

8/20/2019  10:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/20/2019  10:23 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

Frank hasnt shown anything resembling a "killer instinct". Not about making splash plays. About wanting to knock the other team the F out. Used to be a line about a person playing checkers, when they should be playing chess. Frank needs to play more checkers. Go at the other team without hesitation. Not necessarily like an Oladipo, or a Donovan Mitchell. Enough to keep the D honest.

With the talent we have now in the backcourt, Id be happy if Frank plays well enough to get us a high second round, low first round pick, as part of a deal. If Frank can up his offense a little this season, believe a team like the Spurs might get interested.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/20/2019  11:53 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/20/2019  12:12 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Frank hasnt shown anything resembling a "killer instinct". Not about making splash plays. About wanting to knock the other team the F out. Used to be a line about a person playing checkers, when they should be playing chess. Frank needs to play more checkers. Go at the other team without hesitation. Not necessarily like an Oladipo, or a Donovan Mitchell. Enough to keep the D honest.

With the talent we have now in the backcourt, Id be happy if Frank plays well enough to get us a high second round, low first round pick, as part of a deal. If Frank can up his offense a little this season, believe a team like the Spurs might get interested.

apparently a number of people feel like u do, but don't u recognize the irony - he'd be "good enough" for the SAS but not the NYK???? i don't think this can be written off to our "overcrowded" backcourt or our "non-system" basketball. a guy who plays like frank with improved offense is a HIGHLY valuable asset for us to hang on to and play.

GustavBahler

8/20/2019  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/20/2019  12:33 PM
Marv wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

apparently a number of people feel like u do, but don't u recognize the irony - he'd be "good enough" for the SAS but not the NYK???? i don't think this can be written off to our "overcrowded" backcourt or our "non-system" basketball. a guy who plays like frank with improved offense is a HIGHLY valuable asset for us to hang on to and play.

No irony here. We have good young guards on this team ahead of Frank who have shown more in one game as a Knick, than Frank has shown in any game throughout his NBA career. And thats before we got Payton, Bullock.

Not suggesting that a little more offense will vault Frank to the top of the backcourt rotation. It might be good enough to get some interest from a team like the Spurs who might need a player like Frank off the bench. Dont see the Knicks shelling out $$$ to bring back Frank for a few.minutes here and there. Not with who is ahead of him. The alternative is trying to get something for Frank if there is a slight uptick in his game. Believe thats the most realistic scenario, absent Frank coming back with a legit offense.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

8/20/2019  12:30 PM
Marv wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Man I hope frank sticks around like Charlie Ward.... the second we trade him he’ll become a great team player something the knicks are always lacking.

He’s a great piece off the bench on any NBA team... frank needs to stay long term .

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/20/2019  3:31 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Marv wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

No irony here. We have good young guards on this team ahead of Frank who have shown more in one game as a Knick, than Frank has shown in any game throughout his NBA career. And thats before we got Payton, Bullock.

Not suggesting that a little more offense will vault Frank to the top of the backcourt rotation. It might be good enough to get some interest from a team like the Spurs who might need a player like Frank off the bench. Dont see the Knicks shelling out $$$ to bring back Frank for a few.minutes here and there. Not with who is ahead of him. The alternative is trying to get something for Frank if there is a slight uptick in his game. Believe thats the most realistic scenario, absent Frank coming back with a legit offense.

There are many variables to take into account. A team will have to be willing to give up something worth letting him go for. He will need to ask the team for a trade and a new opportunity. If they kept him all season and he barely played. It wouldn't matter to them as it doesn't matter to them paying Taj Gibson 9mil for the limited mins he is gonna get this season. Or Bullock 4mil to miss the season. Or Ellington 7.4mil with no gurantee he beats out Trier, Dotson, Knox for mins behind or next to Barrett. Money will come down to the same thing it came down to this off season. Do they have money to burn to keep Frank around or do they have to be a little more picky.

Elfrid Payton is another variable. If he is a long term answer then that pushes Frank out the door probably. If he is a one year rental and moves on and Smith establishes himself as starter. Depending on how they view Frank's progress by seasons end if he is still on board. Frank may be ready/able to slide into that backup spot for 2021. Another variable is Trier/Dotson getting offers Knicks aren't willing to match because a stud becomes available or something.

For Frank if he isn't getting game mins his key will be if he is showing Fizz enough in practice day to day to want to hold on to him, or give Perry to okay to let him go.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/20/2019  10:25 PM
Nalod wrote:
technomaster wrote:There weren't a lot of better players picked after Frank... but they're painful nonetheless.

Most notably:
DSJr

strong rumors if we took Dennis Mav's in line to take Frank. I think we all read that somewhere. We tend to look at our own team in a microcosm and not consider what other teams do except in hindsight. That does not validate the pick, just shows we might not have been off base as to what others thought of him. Its not like the Mav's took Donovan Mitchel or Kuzma. Every year there are players who exceed their draft position. EVERY YEAR. I am long on record that "Luck is when opportunity and preparation collide". We got Mitch. Maybe that itself negates if frank is a bust. increase the amount of picks you increase your luck. Frank was a Phil pick but we are no doubt drafting very young guys so it should be a comfortable environment for him. Would Perry and this scouting crew have taken him at that position? Who's to say? Maybe Fiz hates him. Maybe Perry hates him.
He played 43 games last year. Is bringing in other guys a sign we were giving up on him? Were the trade rumors valid?
You don't keep a guy because we took him at 8th and little value in return. You either keep him because you think he might pan out, or not. We have to pay him and we have room. Kid does so many things well its no wonder many fans like his game. But he has to hit them buckets!!!!!!
One game at a time.

It was well known that Dallas wanted Frank badly. They even hired his French coach to assist with summer league. If he was on the board still Dallas would have had to take him. Even if Dennis Smith was on the board, it was very clear that Dallas gave a promise to Frank.

Nalod
USA
8/21/2019  7:52 AM
Math. Some will get injured. Dotson is coming off shoulder surgery and of course we all hope he is healthy. Payton first three seasons he was healthy. Played two full seasons and a 73 game season. Last three 63, 63,42 games. Smith has had back issues. Frank Played 78 games his first season. Last year he was not durable. The kid was still growing. At 21 Im not defining him. Dennis with bad back might be an issue of concern. Im not into Physiology but if not a stenosis or disc issues it could be related to his ACL injury in high school and never properly realigned his body in the aftermath. Lets hope. I hope RJ barrett blows the doors off the world and makes no issue of his playing. Same for Knox.

"Killer instinct" on defense but not on offense. I can agree with that. Good defensive things happen when he is on the court. In the knicks dream of dreams he pairs with smith well. I don't see a future with Kevin Knox, all 6-10 of him at Power Forward. I put RJ at the 3 and Frank at the 2 with Smith in the backcourt. I can type it, hope it but I don't see it. Theres a lot of things I don't see, but that does not mean things won't happen as I want them or envision. This talent base is fun see what will become. Trades will happen, injuries will occur and players will develop into what they will become. Is the Journey not sometimes better than the destination? Knicks might win a chip one day and fans can savor that moment but the thrills and chills that got you their are the true pleasure. There is a lot of things I don't see. That don't mean it won't happen. Nalod is arrogant, but not stupid.

GustavBahler

8/21/2019  11:49 AM
Nalod wrote:Math. Some will get injured. Dotson is coming off shoulder surgery and of course we all hope he is healthy. Payton first three seasons he was healthy. Played two full seasons and a 73 game season. Last three 63, 63,42 games. Smith has had back issues. Frank Played 78 games his first season. Last year he was not durable. The kid was still growing. At 21 Im not defining him. Dennis with bad back might be an issue of concern. Im not into Physiology but if not a stenosis or disc issues it could be related to his ACL injury in high school and never properly realigned his body in the aftermath. Lets hope. I hope RJ barrett blows the doors off the world and makes no issue of his playing. Same for Knox.

"Killer instinct" on defense but not on offense. I can agree with that. Good defensive things happen when he is on the court. In the knicks dream of dreams he pairs with smith well. I don't see a future with Kevin Knox, all 6-10 of him at Power Forward. I put RJ at the 3 and Frank at the 2 with Smith in the backcourt. I can type it, hope it but I don't see it. Theres a lot of things I don't see, but that does not mean things won't happen as I want them or envision. This talent base is fun see what will become. Trades will happen, injuries will occur and players will develop into what they will become. Is the Journey not sometimes better than the destination? Knicks might win a chip one day and fans can savor that moment but the thrills and chills that got you their are the true pleasure. There is a lot of things I don't see. That don't mean it won't happen. Nalod is arrogant, but not stupid.

Agree that injuries might present Frank with more PT. All about what he does with it.

Frank and Labeyerie are playing right now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy