11/14 The Unisnake returns to MSG
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/17/2019  2:11 PM
nyknickzingis wrote:
Nalod wrote:Not sure why he did not see himself as part of the solution. That players would not want to play with him.
That he could not help develop the yoot.
He had to keys to the franchise. My take is he got hurt but wanted to be treated and a paid like a max player.

He was not getting offered the extension.
He saw the Knicks were going to rebuild for another 3 years, and did not want to waste 3 years rebuilding.
He had the Knicks in a playoff hunt, and in all star form before the ACL injury, the first drafted all star big man we had since Ewing. He was not even the same age as Ewing in his rookie year.
Despite this, the Knicks seemed to want to keep re-building with tanking strategy, and it got them nowhere. They did not land Zion. They did not land Anthony Davis. They got yet another good player in the making in RJ.

I do agree he has diva qualities. But he seemed to sign with Dallas pretty fast. Dallas is also a rebuilding team. Difference is Dallas has a young player that they think can lead them with KP, and they also are full in on KP and Luka. The Knicks to me seemed uncertain if they wanted to build a team around KP now and try to win right away (at least make the playoffs) or tank for a few years. When you do not offer a 3rd year all-star the extension he deserves and market calls for and you are looking at tanking, it does not send an impending FA any kind of message that you are sold you can win around him. Who knows maybe the Knicks were right and KP will be injury plagued all his career and they will look smart for not giving him the extension. But this all could have been avoided by simply giving KP an extension like all-star third year players get, and also by not tanking last year. From what I have heard and read, and from what Dolan did with KD in free agency, I think the Knicks are planning to be bad for a while, and were not sold on giving Porzingis 150M when he was injured. Which is fine, it is their opinion. Clearly Dallas has a different opinion.

They had gone 6-14 for the month of January and were nine games under .500 when KP got hurt. He didn't have them in a playoff hunt. He started the season strong and then tailed off as he became more tired and worn down. KP has been Mister November so far in his career. In regards to the tanking strategy, KP was out so it made sense to tank. The Knicks only had a 14% chance of getting the number one pick. The tanking was to insure that they didn't fall out of the top 5 in the lottery. The Knicks hadn't moved up in the draft since they got Ewing. The AD trade happened after the KD injury. I think the Knicks would have made a more serious offer for AD if they thought they could pair him with a healthy KD.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/17/2019  3:00 PM
There are inherent benefits to letting the yoot run free and feel the NBA. few teams can afford to do this. Knicks moved out Hardaway and CLee with KP. Regrettfully Frank missed 43 games. Many of them when the season was lost. KP was not returning and we "sold" before the trade deadline.

We tanked, but just to get what odds there was. If RJ is a good player, it was worth it. If Knox in two years is a stud, it was worth it. Mitch got quality minutes.
Frank might have gotten more experience.

Its abstract. Losing sucks. Lots of questions. Its why its interesting.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/21/2019  12:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/21/2019  12:08 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:
Nalod wrote:Not sure why he did not see himself as part of the solution. That players would not want to play with him.
He had to keys to the franchise. My take is he got hurt but wanted to be treated and a paid like a max player.

He saw the Knicks were going to rebuild for another 3 years, and did not want to waste 3 years rebuilding.
He had the Knicks in a playoff hunt, and in all star form before the ACL injury, the first drafted all star big man we had since Ewing. He was not even the same age as Ewing in his rookie year.
Despite this, the Knicks seemed to want to keep re-building with tanking strategy, and it got them nowhere. They did not land Zion. They did not land Anthony Davis. They got yet another good player in the making in RJ.

I do agree he has diva qualities. But he seemed to sign with Dallas pretty fast. Dallas is also a rebuilding team. Difference is Dallas has a young player that they think can lead them with KP, and they also are full in on KP and Luka. The Knicks to me seemed uncertain if they wanted to build a team around KP now and try to win right away (at least make the playoffs) or tank for a few years. When you do not offer a 3rd year all-star the extension he deserves and market calls for and you are looking at tanking, it does not send an impending FA any kind of message that you are sold you can win around him. Who knows maybe the Knicks were right and KP will be injury plagued all his career and they will look smart for not giving him the extension. But this all could have been avoided by simply giving KP an extension like all-star third year players get, and also by not tanking last year. From what I have heard and read, and from what Dolan did with KD in free agency, I think the Knicks are planning to be bad for a while, and were not sold on giving Porzingis 150M when he was injured. Which is fine, it is their opinion. Clearly Dallas has a different opinion.

They had gone 6-14 for the month of January and were nine games under .500 when KP got hurt. He didn't have them in a playoff hunt. He started the season strong and then tailed off as he became more tired and worn down. KP has been Mister November so far in his career. In regards to the tanking strategy, KP was out so it made sense to tank. The Knicks only had a 14% chance of getting the number one pick. The tanking was to insure that they didn't fall out of the top 5 in the lottery. The Knicks hadn't moved up in the draft since they got Ewing. The AD trade happened after the KD injury. I think the Knicks would have made a more serious offer for AD if they thought they could pair him with a healthy KD.

Judging from what NO got for AD, it wouldnt have been enough. KP had one foot out the door before Perry was even hired. I wonder if the prospect of the Knicks drafting Zion, being supplanted as the franchise player, was on his mind as well?

Easier to go to a team with a franchise player already there, than losing that role on a team to a draft pick. Smith jr. learned that the hard way.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/21/2019  11:34 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nyknickzingis wrote:

Judging from what NO got for AD, it wouldnt have been enough. KP had one foot out the door before Perry was even hired. I wonder if the prospect of the Knicks drafting Zion, being supplanted as the franchise player, was on his mind as well?

Easier to go to a team with a franchise player already there, than losing that role on a team to a draft pick. Smith jr. learned that the hard way.

Paring with Luka is the best setup for KP.
Same time frame. Similar European culture. Very good positional paring.
Also takes the pressure off to represent franchise. Especially in NY presser.
Why to be reach and miserable in NY if you can be reach and happy in Texas?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
11/14 The Unisnake returns to MSG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy