Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/3/2019  6:50 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:No sympathy, Melo did it his way.
I agree for the most part. I didn't think things were going to go well for Melo in Houston playing for Dantoni. He didn't play well but I never saw that working out. Dantoni hates Melo.

Didn't work out for cp3 in houston either, and still hasn't worked out for harden..

It wouldn't have worked out for Labron if had to play with Amare, tyson, novak and felton as opposed to Love, kyrie, wade, bosh, ray allan.

The only thing melo did wrong was laughing at the notion of taking a much lesser role, that slammed the door shut

Has not worked out for Harden? Did anyone really think James harden would be MVP and this freaking good?
When did this happen? When he got with MDA. When Paul, Harden, and Capella on the floor in 2018 they were 50-5.

So MDA gets no credit for regular season records, just slammed for playoff runs because they are not the GSW?
In my book MDA gets a hell of a lot out of his team. If he paced them their record would not be as good, nor would post season expectations.
Rockets are not championship material. They are not deep enough and Harden fries up after a deep run. This is a good abstract arguent but hard to say MDA "Sucks".
Harden was seen by many as deserving of his second MVP over Giannis . I won't argue it either way.

To say "Harden has not done well with MDA" is a very ignorant statement. They man has achieved a lot with him as coach. They have gone deep in the playoffs and had great regular seasons.
He is not good enough to carry a team to a championship. He is not Lebron.

If Dantoni does not make it too the conference finals...Feritita is going to fire his @$$

Most of D’Antoni’s staff was let go. His contract is up after this year. Either ownership or, Morey or both are ready to move on. I think they know their not going to win in the post season with him as their coach. Has he hired new assistants yet? I know coaches don’t want to join a staff where the head guy is a lame duck.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

8/4/2019  3:59 AM

I have a different take

I have no sympathy for Melo the basketball player.

But I do have sympathy for Melo as a person

As a basketball player, he didn't do certain things to help himself. Defense. Shot selection. Team play. He had all the talent in the world. But no one can make you care or do certain things.

As a person, when you are told you are awesome and find wild success since youth and rarely will you face a "no" in life, it's hard to stay humble. It's also hard to keep that "Invincible Mindset" you need, that drive to compete, and stay humble. The path to success at the top means to be really disagreeable. And your failures are open for the world to see.

From a general perspective, Melo has been wildly successful. Even from the viewpoint of the average professional athlete, he's also got a list of things that most people will never touch. But from the top of the pyramid, this is where in a relative sense, he won't be seen as successful. Closer to the top, it's harder to get to that pinnacle and hold onto it.

I think discussions like this function differently when you separate the struggles of the person versus the struggles of the player. They are two different worlds.

It took a lot for Vince Carter to take a backseat role when he was on the Mavericks late career. It did help he had a stable franchise, a stable but wildly controversial owner and an excellent coach known for helping loose cannon type players.

It's confusing to only know one thing your entire life and then have to come to terms that the singular thing no longer exists for you. It's not just a loss as a player, but as a person, it's a form of a loss of your own identity. You live your life with full structure. Told where to be, how to dress, what time to be there, what to say, what to look for, etc, etc, and then you face living soon without all that structure. And once you are out, you aren't really treated the same anymore. It's why some cops or firefighters or doctors or the like also struggle to retire and let go.

Real honest to God humility is just very hard. For Melo, for all of us. To accept new limitations and risk losing how we define ourselves. And how others perceive us.

Melo the player, he has to answer for his choices. That's just a function of the game and life.

Melo the person, he has to live with those choices, that's a much different animal.

For each of us, the question becomes can you balance the confidence you need to move forward towards your goals, but also carry the kind of humility you need to have the broad perspective to make good decisions?

Having sympathy for Melo isn't altruism here, it's a reminder to consider our own struggles. People love sports because it represents many of the day to day struggles you will have in your life on a smaller scale.

Everything is fleeting. Nothing is forever. You must be prepared to endure the loss of things in your life. You have to accept it will never end on your terms. To me, this is the prevailing narrative here.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/4/2019  12:45 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
ekstarks94 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
I agree for the most part. I didn't think things were going to go well for Melo in Houston playing for Dantoni. He didn't play well but I never saw that working out. Dantoni hates Melo.

Didn't work out for cp3 in houston either, and still hasn't worked out for harden..

It wouldn't have worked out for Labron if had to play with Amare, tyson, novak and felton as opposed to Love, kyrie, wade, bosh, ray allan.

The only thing melo did wrong was laughing at the notion of taking a much lesser role, that slammed the door shut

Has not worked out for Harden? Did anyone really think James harden would be MVP and this freaking good?
When did this happen? When he got with MDA. When Paul, Harden, and Capella on the floor in 2018 they were 50-5.

So MDA gets no credit for regular season records, just slammed for playoff runs because they are not the GSW?
In my book MDA gets a hell of a lot out of his team. If he paced them their record would not be as good, nor would post season expectations.
Rockets are not championship material. They are not deep enough and Harden fries up after a deep run. This is a good abstract arguent but hard to say MDA "Sucks".
Harden was seen by many as deserving of his second MVP over Giannis . I won't argue it either way.

To say "Harden has not done well with MDA" is a very ignorant statement. They man has achieved a lot with him as coach. They have gone deep in the playoffs and had great regular seasons.
He is not good enough to carry a team to a championship. He is not Lebron.

If Dantoni does not make it too the conference finals...Feritita is going to fire his @$$

Most of D’Antoni’s staff was let go. His contract is up after this year. Either ownership or, Morey or both are ready to move on. I think they know their not going to win in the post season with him as their coach. Has he hired new assistants yet? I know coaches don’t want to join a staff where the head guy is a lame duck.

I think they have their people in place but they get more than one year contract so they will be part of a new coach’s planes. Or they be their guy already in place. We dont know.
Rockets in my opinion never were true contenders. I thunk MDA does a great job an thats it.
I think he was appropriate to ask for extension because the lame duck thing and perhaps Fertatta is Ike “phuch that, I’m not firing you, you want to walk thats cool but I’m not paying you. While that seems to be the norm its owners discretion. Remember Owners sign the checks not the GM.
MDA might be fine and perhaps this is his last gig. The league knows what he is about regarding the type of coach he has. A good season or not won’t hurt his reputation unless he is salty and his personality disruptive. I Seems that certain coaches have to have their rosters as they need them and he is one of them. His gig in PHx was masterful and he had one season his team was truly superior but he got out coached by Pop. He had to PHil in the west to contend with.
HIs NY gig was marred with roster problems. Perhaps it’s as originally thought He’d coach Lebron in NY. Its not likely Lebron rejected NY, he could not see a path to win a chip given our resources a the time to build properly and Quickly. In LA MDA had a small window but injuries killed that team quickly. I think what he has done with Harden in Hou is very high end. But the notion of championship quality was not there. Those teams lacked depth to contend.
That does not make him a failure, it makes him actually a great coach who had his teams playing above its on paper ability. I respect the move to get Westbrook. If it does not work I’d trade him quickly and harden, move MDA out and rebuild. Thats a hard nut to swallow but to prolonged delusion and an empty asset base can doom a franchise for years.
You have been witness to this as knick fans. the McKinsey thing was like many knick decisions. Good ideas badly executed.

Mills signing Hardaway does not seal the current movement as confirmation the mummy curse continues.
KP was a good idea, and was well executed but much was beyond knicks control.
We moved on. We are still in the woods but hope is a deep roster with some nice potential young guys. We are where we are. MDA and rockets are in another time and place. ONce upon a time MDA was our coach. A good one. He has proven to not be “flexible” but does a damn good job with really good players. There might be a thought that Harden is doing Melo could have. It was not to be. Good idea badly executed. Blame MDA, Dolan and Melo.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
8/9/2019  9:52 AM
This is sad.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/9/2019  10:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/9/2019  10:03 AM
NYKBocker wrote:This is sad.

Bbal team, NBA or Olympics, need players who are net positive on the court.
As far as defending his man, efficient shooting, ball movement, leadership, passing, baying in the coach plan.
Where Melo stands on all this? He never was any of that and naturally is not now.
The choice Melo has is to retire or come in as player with different priorities.
Man just cannot let it go and cannot change.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Nalod
USA
8/9/2019  10:59 AM
Would have been more dignified to keep the request to play USA ball not in the public eye.
Im not sure "Melo the Mentor" is in his toolbox. not all veteran players are good teachers. Seems Melo is well liked but we talking the business of basketball.
What does he bring to the table that Team USA can't get elsewhere?
We don't know is Melo not down with a bench role? Team USA or otherwise?
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

8/9/2019  11:16 AM
Papabear Says

And we wonder why no stars don't want to come to New York. Melo was well liked by the other super stars in the game. Sure he should have waited till the end of the season so we wouldn't have to give up our whole team when he came here. He should have embraced Lin sanity but I think he was jealous Lin got greedy and took the money that year. Melo had a broken team when he was here. If he humbled himself and sat at the end of the bench and help by having those special moments I wouldn't mind bringing him back.
I believe that the reason why players don't want to come to the Knicks is the way we treat players. And that include us. I grew up enjoying 2 championship as a college student.Lots of you guys have not and the way things are going you reach your 70s in age still complaining and never receiving a championship. Don't think that Durant and other players don't talk to one another because they do.I liked Melo coming here when others would not.

Papabear
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/9/2019  11:31 AM
arkrud wrote:

As far as defending his man, efficient shooting, ball movement, leadership, passing, baying in the coach plan.
Where Melo stands on all this? He never was any of that and naturally is not now.
The choice Melo has is to retire or come in as player with different priorities.

Really? I think USA basketball could use him for the FIBA tournament. You have stars that don't want to play cause they will get hurt. Melo still can contribute to the right NBA team. I think they should have found a way to let him play.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/9/2019  11:37 AM
franco12 wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Really? I think USA basketball could use him for the FIBA tournament. You have stars that don't want to play cause they will get hurt. Melo still can contribute to the right NBA team. I think they should have found a way to let him play.

Contribute what? And why do you think he can still contribute after spending practically a whole season on the sidelines?

The team that Melo last left was Houston. No idea what their defensive priority was and I'd guess Melo didn't either. He didn't want to come off the bench and was a stinker on O.

What else is there?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
8/9/2019  12:45 PM
Melo could have come as a free agent. That summer he had minor knee surgery. Not a good time to make a move. Also there the end of the collective bargaining and a threat of a prolonged strike. Its why JR smith went to China.

Melo would have been making a bad business decision to have done this. Nets were all ready with an offer if knicks did not bite.
Im not blaming team USA BTW, it could have been Melo's camp who made it public about wanting to participate. Maybe with so many top players backing out it would look good for him to ask.

I don't blame Melo for knicks woes in his tenure exclusively. ITs easy to look back but have to look at the moment decisions were made. Melo's trade request and the leverage he had at the moment as well as the collective bargaining agreement issue all played a big role. Melo was never going to be in play as a free agent.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/9/2019  1:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/9/2019  7:16 PM
For those that are still griping on the Carmelo to Denver trade... it wasn't so bad. After all we got the best player of the bunch, got some good role players, and did a salary dump (ie we got rid of Eddy Curry as part of the deal!).

To the Knicks:
Carmelo, Billups, Brewer, Shelden Williams, Balkman

To the Nuggets:
Gallo, Chandler, Mosgov, Felton, 2nd round pick, Koufos (from the Wolves), right to swap 1st round picks with Knicks in 2016*

To the Wolves:
Eddy Curry, Anthony Randolph, 2015 2nd round pick (from the Nuggets)

In 2016 the Knicks finished with a 32-50 record. The Nuggets finished with a 33-49 record. The Nuggets ended up drafting 7th, picking Jamal Murray. The Knicks had traded that pick to the Raptors which eventually became the 9th pick in the draft, who became Jakob Poetl, who didn't appear to play in the NBA in 2018-2019.

So the question here is did the Knicks really do so bad? I think Chandler was in line for a big contract extension. He was basically a 16ppg/6rpg player. Gallo was a 16ppg/5rpg player who barely shot 40% from the field. Eddy Curry needed to go (salary dump), so did Randolph. The draft pick swap really didn't mean much. Mosgov seemed like a lot to give up, but we ended up getting answers over the next few seasons.

The Knicks, on the other hand, picked up some useful parts, well, at least Billups - who along with Carmelo made up 2/5 of the starting line up - those 2 plus Stoudemire made a pretty good big 3. I'm pretty sure the Knicks made a mistake (at the time) by letting Brewer go for nothing. And Shelden Williams will go down in history as one of the most surprising lottery busts (he was age 27 at the time of the trade and his star had already passed...)

I guess the important thing to consider is that every season is an opportunity to win a title. We already had Amare in place... if you wait 'til after the season to get a FA, that season is lost.

The Knicks did end up with a championship worthy cast that included Tyson Chandler, Rasheed, Kmart, JR Smith, Shumpert, and Kidd anyway... so the Knicks weren’t barebones very long either.

In the long run and just like the Knicks, the Nuggets ended up sucking a few years after the trade (frequent injuries to Gallo and Chandler didn't help) too, but they've done a good job of bouncing back, in large part due to Jokic (2015 2nd round pick, #41 overall) turning into a superstar, something NO ONE would have predicted. Perhaps only KAT at #1 overall - the same draft where KP was #4 - is a better player. That's 39 mistakes - and some teams even had multiple shots to pick Jokic. There's probably the makings of a good article about the career arcs of Jokic vs KP to be made... but I won't go into that here.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/9/2019  2:39 PM
martin wrote:
franco12 wrote:
arkrud wrote:

Contribute what? And why do you think he can still contribute after spending practically a whole season on the sidelines?

The team that Melo last left was Houston. No idea what their defensive priority was and I'd guess Melo didn't either. He didn't want to come off the bench and was a stinker on O.

What else is there?

I guess there are two things.

Can Melo help USA basketball?

I think so. They don't play a lot of defense, and it's not like this is the dream team.

Can he help an NBA Team? Yes, but is Melo willing to take on the right role for that scenario?

And I don't think anybody knows the answer to this.

Yes, things didn't work out in Houston or OKC.

Do we know why? I don't think we do. But, yes, I think its reasonably to assume he was not willing/able to play that role then. Might he be now? Maybe.

Where is the right team? I could throw out names.

Heck, Kanter with his zero defense has a contract and a role.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/9/2019  3:00 PM
franco12 wrote:
martin wrote:
franco12 wrote:
arkrud wrote:

What else is there?

I think so. They don't play a lot of defense, and it's not like this is the dream team.

Can he help an NBA Team? Yes, but is Melo willing to take on the right role for that scenario?

Do we know why? I don't think we do. But, yes, I think its reasonably to assume he was not willing/able to play that role then. Might he be now? Maybe.

It is not about what teams need but about what Melo wants.
Always was and why this will change.
What are the incentive for Melo to play complimentary role?
He has a fortune. He is established public persona, businessman, entertainer.
There is no need for him and for the NBA or Oly team to do anything together.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/9/2019  4:59 PM
franco12 wrote:
martin wrote:
franco12 wrote:
arkrud wrote:

What else is there?

I don't agree that Melo can help USA hoops. I don't see him deferring to the team. I see him trying to beat his own records and prove that he is still keepin it Me7o. I wouldn't want his ego and rehabbing his NBA value if I were trying to build a team

Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/10/2019  8:54 AM
In most instances for Team USA, get open shots, take 'em. The end. On the other end, they usually play zone defense. Carmelo's reasonable at that.

Only on rare occasions (medal games) are the games highly contested/better defense, and there actually is some need for ISO play.

Carmelo the Olympic player would have been fantastic. Disappointing.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/10/2019  10:23 AM
reality has spoken. there is no market for this man’s services.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/10/2019  11:18 AM
franco12 wrote:
martin wrote:
franco12 wrote:
arkrud wrote:

What else is there?

And yet you don't.

You didn't even answer the basic question: What is Melo contributing after being out of basketball for a year, at age 35?

He has yet to accept a role on a team. Proved that the last 2 years.

Which team is going to give up a spot on the bench to give Melo minutes?

And not for nothing but Pop, JVG and the rest will probably puke at your suggestion that they dont play defense on the USA team.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/10/2019  12:20 PM
technomaster wrote:For those that are still griping on the Carmelo to Denver trade... it wasn't so bad. After all we got the best player of the bunch, got some good role players, and did a salary dump (ie we got rid of Eddy Curry as part of the deal!).

To the Knicks:
Carmelo, Billups, Brewer, Shelden Williams, Balkman

To the Nuggets:
Gallo, Chandler, Mosgov, Felton, 2nd round pick, Koufos (from the Wolves), right to swap 1st round picks with Knicks in 2016*

To the Wolves:
Eddy Curry, Anthony Randolph, 2015 2nd round pick (from the Nuggets)

In 2016 the Knicks finished with a 32-50 record. The Nuggets finished with a 33-49 record. The Nuggets ended up drafting 7th, picking Jamal Murray. The Knicks had traded that pick to the Raptors which eventually became the 9th pick in the draft, who became Jakob Poetl, who didn't appear to play in the NBA in 2018-2019.

So the question here is did the Knicks really do so bad? I think Chandler was in line for a big contract extension. He was basically a 16ppg/6rpg player. Gallo was a 16ppg/5rpg player who barely shot 40% from the field. Eddy Curry needed to go (salary dump), so did Randolph. The draft pick swap really didn't mean much. Mosgov seemed like a lot to give up, but we ended up getting answers over the next few seasons.

The Knicks, on the other hand, picked up some useful parts, well, at least Billups - who along with Carmelo made up 2/5 of the starting line up - those 2 plus Stoudemire made a pretty good big 3. I'm pretty sure the Knicks made a mistake (at the time) by letting Brewer go for nothing. And Shelden Williams will go down in history as one of the most surprising lottery busts (he was age 27 at the time of the trade and his star had already passed...)

I guess the important thing to consider is that every season is an opportunity to win a title. We already had Amare in place... if you wait 'til after the season to get a FA, that season is lost.

The Knicks did end up with a championship worthy cast that included Tyson Chandler, Rasheed, Kmart, JR Smith, Shumpert, and Kidd anyway... so the Knicks weren’t barebones very long either.

In the long run and just like the Knicks, the Nuggets ended up sucking a few years after the trade (frequent injuries to Gallo and Chandler didn't help) too, but they've done a good job of bouncing back, in large part due to Jokic (2015 2nd round pick, #41 overall) turning into a superstar, something NO ONE would have predicted. Perhaps only KAT at #1 overall - the same draft where KP was #4 - is a better player. That's 39 mistakes - and some teams even had multiple shots to pick Jokic. There's probably the makings of a good article about the career arcs of Jokic vs KP to be made... but I won't go into that here.

FluTyson, Rashweed (who retired), KMart?, JR, Shump? and the ghost of JKidd are championship worthy? What championship? The Big3 league? NBDL? Are you serious?

It's very simple. The Knicks sucked and had not made the playoffs since 2001.
Denver was making the playoffs regularly with Melo.
After the trade? Knicks got Melo and nothing but Amare's Red Red Wine, and the two week flash in the pan that was Linsanity. Who, by the way, never appeared in a playoff game as a Knick. Not because Me70 ran him out of town, but because he was busy counting money in Houston.

Knicks make the playoffs, win a division and actually win a playoff series with a bunch of geriatrics and Mrs. Hibbert.
Denver got no further with the flotsam they ended up with than they did with Melo.

End of argument.

Sympathy for the Melo?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy