[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sympathy for the Melo?
Author Thread
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/2/2019  9:49 AM
technomaster wrote:Ah, if not for Stoudemire punching fire extinguisher enclosures, seriously tweaking his back on a warm up dunk, and ultimately all the cartilage in his knees melting away... Lin's first injuries (in a long line of injuries that followed him throughout his career)... Baron Davis's knee inverting... Billup completely breaking down... and Kevin Garnett dislocating Carmelo's shoulder... geez, a lot of mishaps happened during Carmelo's tenure that we weren't able to overcome!

Carmelo was a fine Knick - I think from an impact standpoint he certainly should be held in pretty high regard. While there are no charity spots on teams, a spot or two can open up after the trade deadline, particularly if predictions are right and we end up being a 30-35 win team and we jettison some players along the way.
(I mean, I personally think the team COULD hover around a .500 season particularly with the help of our improved depth and 3pt shooting... and squeeze into one of the final playoff spots if our top 5 players can all manage 70+gm seasons - but that's fodder for another thread)

In this scenario I can see the Knicks bringing back Carmelo to help sell tickets and get revenue back on a farewell tour when all is done.

Worst case scenario I'd hope the Knicks can bring him back at the last game of the season and have him as an honorary player so he can receive a video tribute.

that’s super pathetic. i think even carmelo has too much pride to grovel that low.

AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/2/2019  9:50 AM
SupremeCommander wrote:Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man who needs the ball
I've been dribbling a long, long time
Put the shot clock ticks to waste

excellent!

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/2/2019  10:03 AM
No sympathy, Melo did it his way.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/2/2019  10:40 AM
We sucked royally before "Coming Home". We won a division, we got one of the best, documented ball hog clutch shooters in the league for what turned out to be a pile of league flotsam that turned into most of what made the top 10 worst NBA contracts list. And we went to the second round of the playoffs for the one and only time in the last two decades. And 62 points.

He was first on the list of NBA stars who played with trash, year after year. Ask AD how much fun it was watching his teammates playing without him.

As others have said. He came here alone while others were content to trot off to their Superteams.

Was the ending sad? Sure enough. So was Ewing's. So was Spree's. BK at least left and made an All Star team before the knees blew out for good. Not that that made for a happy Knick ending. Like alot of people, would have loved to have seen a few BK and Ewing seasons healthy together.

JesseDark
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #467
8/2/2019  10:42 AM
Don't think he is helping himself with this interview. He is not coming across as a jerk or anything but seems like he is begging.
Bring back dee-fense
GustavBahler

8/2/2019  10:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2019  10:55 AM
JesseDark wrote:Don't think he is helping himself with this interview. He is not coming across as a jerk or anything but seems like he is begging.

When Melo said he wasnt ready to be a bench player in OKC, it wasnt about that as much as how he let the world know. Wasnt pretty, or the actions of a team player. That scared off teams more than anything IMO.

Melo also neglected to mention how many years Wade wasnt the highest paid player on the roster, for most of his time on the Heat. Dirk/Duncan took less to build a contender as well. Melo went for the $$$. Dont believe thats necessarily a wrong choice, but its the choice Melo made. Has to live with the tradeoff.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/2/2019  11:02 AM
this is excellent work
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/2/2019  11:04 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
JesseDark wrote:Don't think he is helping himself with this interview. He is not coming across as a jerk or anything but seems like he is begging.

When Melo said he wasnt ready to be a bench player in OKC, it wasnt about that as much as how he let the world know. Wasnt pretty, or the actions of a team player. Thats scared off teams more than anything IMO.

Melo also neglected to mention how many years Wade wasnt the highest paid player on the roster, for most of his time on the Heat. Dirk/Duncan took less to build a contender as well. Melo went for the $$$. Dont believe thats necessarily a wrong choice, but its the choice Melo made. Has to live with the tradeoff.

Is this a serious comparison of Wade playing with Shaq or Lebron under Riley's management with whatever Melo's situation would have been here under Phil? Who was Phil going to bring here that would have made more or even comparable money? I'm seriously just asking.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
8/2/2019  11:08 AM
Melo was a great scorer. Best player of a pretty bleak era. We had the great fun season where all the old guys gelled and weirdos like Novak and Copeland did fun things. Not sure Melo came to win. It was more about Melo and money and life and honestly that is fine. The guy played hard, scored tons of hoops and was nice to our unicorn. The team just didnt win enough for Melo to get the attention he gets. The whole era is forgettable. Linsanity was great because of the unlikely aspect of it all. Melo winning POM (twice?) during that great season was equally great. He was carrying the team like a true star does and that was so good. THose are short spans over the 7 whatever years.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
GustavBahler

8/2/2019  11:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2019  11:21 AM
jrodmc wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

When Melo said he wasnt ready to be a bench player in OKC, it wasnt about that as much as how he let the world know. Wasnt pretty, or the actions of a team player. Thats scared off teams more than anything IMO.

Is this a serious comparison of Wade playing with Shaq or Lebron under Riley's management with whatever Melo's situation would have been here under Phil? Who was Phil going to bring here that would have made more or even comparable money? I'm seriously just asking.

Would have to go back and look. My point is that Melo taking less might not have gotten us Shaq or LeBron, it could have given us a more competitive roster. Dirk took a lot less than he could have just to win a chip. Melo wanted a near max deal, only one of 3 players with an NTC, and a trade kicker. Melo went for Melo. His call.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dirk-nowitzki-discount-contracts-mavs-2017-7

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/2/2019  11:36 AM
GustavBahler wrote:

When Melo said he wasnt ready to be a bench player in OKC, it wasnt about that as much as how he let the world know. Wasnt pretty, or the actions of a team player. That scared off teams more than anything IMO.

I agree. Melo could've made concessions to help the Knicks bring in more talent. I can't hold it against him that he didn't. You look at what happened with Blake Griffin in LA and you realize that players have to look after themselves. That said...Melo's interview was sadder than watching Lin cry in Asia...sadder than watching Optimus die because of Hotrod's dumb ass. I hope some team not named the Knicks picks you up man.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/2/2019  11:46 AM
GustavBahler wrote:No sympathy, Melo did it his way.
I agree for the most part. I didn't think things were going to go well for Melo in Houston playing for Dantoni. He didn't play well but I never saw that working out. Dantoni hates Melo.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler

8/2/2019  11:47 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I agree. Melo could've made concessions to help the Knicks bring in more talent. I can't hold it against him that he didn't. You look at what happened with Blake Griffin in LA and you realize that players have to look after themselves. That said...Melo's interview was sadder than watching Lin cry in Asia...sadder than watching Optimus die because of Hotrod's dumb ass. I hope some team not named the Knicks picks you up man.

I dont hold it against Melo either, as you pointed out, it can backfire. But if you go for the green, have to live with the gold plated consequences. Thats why this interview didnt sit well with me. I hope he lands somewhere, agree not the Knicks.

Wouldnt be surprised if Melo lands in Bklyn at some point. In part so the Nets can tweak the Knicks.

CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

8/2/2019  1:30 PM

Well done...This stanza from the song actually fits without any changes

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guess my name
But what's puzzling you
Is the nature of my game
There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
knicks1248
Member: #582
8/2/2019  1:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2019  1:35 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
I agree for the most part. I didn't think things were going to go well for Melo in Houston playing for Dantoni. He didn't play well but I never saw that working out. Dantoni hates Melo.

Didn't work out for cp3 in houston either, and still hasn't worked out for harden..

It wouldn't have worked out for Labron if had to play with Amare, tyson, novak and felton as opposed to Love, kyrie, wade, bosh, ray allan.

The only thing melo did wrong was laughing at the notion of taking a much lesser role, that slammed the door shut

ES
CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

8/2/2019  1:46 PM
Melo was more of a Robin than a Batman...He's always needed someone on the floor with him who could keep him under control and make use of his talent, but not let him control where the ball went.

I think this is why he was effective on the Olympic teams he played on- he could be a complimentary player and not the focus of the offense.

He would have been a decent fit on those Ewing teams as an alternative go to player, which Ewing never really had, because he would have understood his place and been playing with a dominant coach like Riley.

I also think he needed to do some serious weight training/dieting. You look at his early years in Denver, and he had a great body for the position. This is not a pre-season thing...this is a lifestyle change you have to do throughout the year, and he was never able to do it.

I don't feel sympathy for him. He's achieved a lot, and made a lot of money. He's a good businessperson, and he's been pretty good off the court, but I always felt his brand and the financial/business aspects of the game were as important as the game itself.

Wish him luck, but sympathy, not really.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/2/2019  2:18 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Didn't work out for cp3 in houston either, and still hasn't worked out for harden..

It wouldn't have worked out for Labron if had to play with Amare, tyson, novak and felton as opposed to Love, kyrie, wade, bosh, ray allan.

The only thing melo did wrong was laughing at the notion of taking a much lesser role, that slammed the door shut

D'Antoni liked Paul a lot. He didn't want to see him traded. I think he would torpedo Westbrook if he could but he can't. I think Paul communicated a lot of what D'Antoni wanted to say to Harden but wouldn't.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/2/2019  5:30 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Has not worked out for Harden? Did anyone really think James harden would be MVP and this freaking good?
When did this happen? When he got with MDA. When Paul, Harden, and Capella on the floor in 2018 they were 50-5.

So MDA gets no credit for regular season records, just slammed for playoff runs because they are not the GSW?
In my book MDA gets a hell of a lot out of his team. If he paced them their record would not be as good, nor would post season expectations.
Rockets are not championship material. They are not deep enough and Harden fries up after a deep run. This is a good abstract arguent but hard to say MDA "Sucks".
Harden was seen by many as deserving of his second MVP over Giannis . I won't argue it either way.

To say "Harden has not done well with MDA" is a very ignorant statement. They man has achieved a lot with him as coach. They have gone deep in the playoffs and had great regular seasons.
He is not good enough to carry a team to a championship. He is not Lebron.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

8/3/2019  7:55 AM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Has not worked out for Harden? Did anyone really think James harden would be MVP and this freaking good?
When did this happen? When he got with MDA. When Paul, Harden, and Capella on the floor in 2018 they were 50-5.

So MDA gets no credit for regular season records, just slammed for playoff runs because they are not the GSW?
In my book MDA gets a hell of a lot out of his team. If he paced them their record would not be as good, nor would post season expectations.
Rockets are not championship material. They are not deep enough and Harden fries up after a deep run. This is a good abstract arguent but hard to say MDA "Sucks".
Harden was seen by many as deserving of his second MVP over Giannis . I won't argue it either way.

To say "Harden has not done well with MDA" is a very ignorant statement. They man has achieved a lot with him as coach. They have gone deep in the playoffs and had great regular seasons.

If Dantoni does not make it too the conference finals...Feritita is going to fire his @$$

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/3/2019  4:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/3/2019  4:15 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

If Dantoni does not make it too the conference finals...Feritita is going to fire his @$$

Fine. Then let the next guy try. Maybe he does better. Maybe they make roster changes. Maybe they regress.
Maybe the next guy can take what he started and finish better. But you can't say MDA did not elevate Harden to the next level big time when they paired up.
HE changed Hardens role and it clicked.
Im not privy to Lion King owner "Acunna Fritatta" and know if he is a good owner or not.

Sympathy for the Melo?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy