[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sympathy for the Melo?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/1/2019  8:34 AM
A lot of articles being written about Melo’s desire for a “fair well Tour”. This is not me saying this. Blogs and media are bringing this up.

SAS ranted “champions get tours” and brings up Dirk, Kobe, Dwade as recent examples.

My two cents: Seems to me a player on the road over a long career has history of rivalry and memorable battles. To have a “Tour” you need to be respected by home teams. Reggie MIller was hated but at the end of the day you had to respect what he did in the garden. I don’t know if he got a “tour” but I hope we properly showed appreciation and respect as player. 29 teams, how many of them view Melo as a special nemesis who in those arenas provided chills and spills, the agony of defeat and was a proper villain?

Melo a Basketball HOF player given his point totals in the NBA, his lone but awesome NCAA season in Syracuse and as part of the Olympic teams. Despite this I can’t see why we retire his jersey as a Knick but no doubt should given him “ a Melo Night”. He played here for 7 years, he scored a lot of points, he was fun to watch, and he got along great with fans. If we don’t retire H20’s number (I’m not advocating we do) then we don’t Melo’s. While their numbers were not as prolific s Melo, H20, LJ, Spree, and King all had memorable seasons and memorable series in the playoffs. Their Knick careers for some were just not long enough. The knicks retirement jersey collection to me seems honorable and I like the limited amount we have. Naturally I would hope great success would bring more in the future! But it has to be earned.

Melo is not Dwade or Dirk. He has the numbers but his resume is not as full as theirs. Bottom line is Melo won’t take a lessor role or a minimum contract? Then its his decision. I dont’ see him on the knicks for many reasons but if he still has game then a contender could use him. Thus far nobody has.

AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/1/2019  8:48 AM
zero. none.

Melo got paid. He got his ntc. And he had 2 friggin chances - at OKC and Houston. And how exactly did he do in those stops?

And he has a chance right now - he just has to find a franchise that will offer him an invite to camp, and he can prove that he can perform a valuable role to help a team win.

Wade, Dirk, Kobe - they all stayed with the same franchise for their careers, with the exception of Wade.

And they were all pretty productive in their last years. Except Kobe, but after winning as many games and rings as he did, he was allowed some stinkers.

Melo did what for us? I seem to recall more losing than winning. Lot's of points, but empty calories.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/1/2019  9:01 AM
franco12 wrote:zero. none.

Melo got paid. He got his ntc. And he had 2 friggin chances - at OKC and Houston. And how exactly did he do in those stops?

And he has a chance right now - he just has to find a franchise that will offer him an invite to camp, and he can prove that he can perform a valuable role to help a team win.

Wade, Dirk, Kobe - they all stayed with the same franchise for their careers, with the exception of Wade.

And they were all pretty productive in their last years. Except Kobe, but after winning as many games and rings as he did, he was allowed some stinkers.

Melo did what for us? I seem to recall more losing than winning. Lot's of points, but empty calories.

Dwade and Kobe had contracts and retired when they exited. It was a graceful ending. Take two to make that happen. Melo’s end with the knicks and subsequent decline in OKC made it not so graceful.
It was not graceful for Ewing either. Had he retired a knick and maybe left a year on his contact it could have been worked out. But sometimes a guy has to come off the bench and accept it. Wade handled it great. Kobe had a crazy contract and his last days were awesome. Sometimes it works out. I admire Melo for not giving up but also sometimes a man just has to know when its time. Like I said “Graceful”. Does he deserve the dignity that comes with it or does he feel entitled?

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/1/2019  9:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2019  10:37 AM
Nalod wrote:

Dwade and Kobe had contracts and retired when they exited. It was a graceful ending. Take two to make that happen. Melo’s end with the knicks and subsequent decline in OKC made it not so graceful.
It was not graceful for Ewing either. Had he retired a knick and maybe left a year on his contact it could have been worked out. But sometimes a guy has to come off the bench and accept it. Wade handled it great. Kobe had a crazy contract and his last days were awesome. Sometimes it works out. I admire Melo for not giving up but also sometimes a man just has to know when its time. Like I said “Graceful”. Does he deserve the dignity that comes with it or does he feel entitled?

No I don't have sympathy for him. His apparent refusal to take a smaller role off the bench sealed his fate. He could have done some good things for that Houston team and maybe help them take it to GS better. But he couldn’t and they didn’t. That right there probably completely turned teams off.

And he wants a farewell tour? Give me a break. Lol

We’ll see him in the BIG3 or maybe Marbury will coach him in China. Lol

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
8/1/2019  10:35 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Dwade and Kobe had contracts and retired when they exited. It was a graceful ending. Take two to make that happen. Melo's end with the knicks and subsequent decline in OKC made it not so graceful.
It was not graceful for Ewing either. Had he retired a knick and maybe left a year on his contact it could have been worked out. But sometimes a guy has to come off the bench and accept it. Wade handled it great. Kobe had a crazy contract and his last days were awesome. Sometimes it works out. I admire Melo for not giving up but also sometimes a man just has to know when its time. Like I said "Graceful". Does he deserve the dignity that comes with it or does he feel entitled?
No I don't have sympathy for him. His apparent refusal to take a smaller role off the bench sealed his faith. He could have done some good things for that Houston team and maybe help them take it to GS better. But he couldn't and they didn't. That right there probably completely turned teams off.

And he wants a farewell tour? Give me a break. Lol

We'll see him in the BIG3 or maybe Marbury will coach him in China. Lol

He should have done his farewell tour 2 years ago. Is he willing to play for free or does he want charity?

MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
8/1/2019  11:06 AM
Imagine if Kobe isn't drafted by the Lakers and doesn't have Shaq to help him to the promise land. Where would Kobe's legacy have been? He did win later in his career, but everyone points to Kobe being clutch because of the narrative that was created. When in fact when the game was on the line, it was Robert Horry, Derek Fisher, Ron Artest making the game winning shots to propel the Lakers. .4 seconds and one tip out was the difference between two championships.

Just like imagining if Joe Dumars selected Carmelo with the second pick and he moves into the starting line-up with Billups, Rip, Prince and Wallace. He wins 2-3 championships and his legacy is completely different. He carried a Nuggets team to the playoffs and had them in the playoffs every year of his career.

He certainly had his faults, but Kobe was the same selfish player with better talent around him. Kobe gave more on the defensive end without question. But, Melo had a broken down Stoudamire and it JR Smith imploding in the playoffs and a Tyson Chandler sickness every playoff season while he was here.

I don't think he deserves a farewell tour, but he was great, he was a HOF, it is his own doing, but it would be nice to see a team like the Bucks pick him up and give it one last go and retire the right way.

stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

8/1/2019  11:49 AM
He got what he wanted - paid. Respect is earned, and he didn't do what was needed (adapt his game to win) to earn it. A farewell tour is a sign of respect, but it has to be earned. So a big nope here.
The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
blkexec
Member: #748
8/1/2019  12:06 PM
He would be a nice addition in Denver.....8mins a game off the bench. Play for the team that spring boarded his career, and play meaningful playoff games.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fwk00
Member: #6048

8/1/2019  12:20 PM
Let him your with the nuggets.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/1/2019  12:52 PM
Melo’s issue is he always aligned his career with Lebron. He thought he would play as long as lebron did and at a similar level. He didn’t see his decline coming and was naive. He put the nail in the coffin with his rant about not starting when a media member suggested it. His career trajectory is similar to Iverson where he thought he was going to be the same player until the end. I guess I can feel for him a little because most are naive to age and decline but he has had a successful career when you don’t compare him to others and he did a lot for the Knicks when he was here.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/1/2019  1:02 PM
If he wanted to sign a one day deal and retire a Knick I think that would be great. He doesn't fit on a rebuilding a team.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

8/1/2019  2:04 PM
You reap what you sow
(5)(5)
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/1/2019  2:47 PM
His individual game never was an issue. Great talent.
His business acumen was always top notch. Great wealth.
His heart was always open. Wonderful charities.
His team play was never there. Not a part of winning culture of team sport.
He should be celebrated as an individual but not as a part of the team. Not Knick for sure.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
DJMUSIC
Member: #1283

8/1/2019  4:25 PM
Nalod wrote:A lot of articles being written about Melo’s desire for a “fair well Tour”. This is not me saying this. Blogs and media are bringing this up.

SAS ranted “champions get tours” and brings up Dirk, Kobe, Dwade as recent examples.

My two cents: Seems to me a player on the road over a long career has history of rivalry and memorable battles. To have a “Tour” you need to be respected by home teams. Reggie MIller was hated but at the end of the day you had to respect what he did in the garden. I don’t know if he got a “tour” but I hope we properly showed appreciation and respect as player. 29 teams, how many of them view Melo as a special nemesis who in those arenas provided chills and spills, the agony of defeat and was a proper villain?

Melo a Basketball HOF player given his point totals in the NBA, his lone but awesome NCAA season in Syracuse and as part of the Olympic teams. Despite this I can’t see why we retire his jersey as a Knick but no doubt should given him “ a Melo Night”. He played here for 7 years, he scored a lot of points, he was fun to watch, and he got along great with fans. If we don’t retire H20’s number (I’m not advocating we do) then we don’t Melo’s. While their numbers were not as prolific s Melo, H20, LJ, Spree, and King all had memorable seasons and memorable series in the playoffs. Their Knick careers for some were just not long enough. The knicks retirement jersey collection to me seems honorable and I like the limited amount we have. Naturally I would hope great success would bring more in the future! But it has to be earned.

Melo is not Dwade or Dirk. He has the numbers but his resume is not as full as theirs. Bottom line is Melo won’t take a lessor role or a minimum contract? Then its his decision. I dont’ see him on the knicks for many reasons but if he still has game then a contender could use him. Thus far nobody has.

good topic... Melo had his dsy(s) and years in NBA. I'm a huge Melo fan and a realist.
Look the NBA is such a "Young man's" game for many many yrs, now. My Meter was when Reggie Miller hung up his NBA shoes
and not to say Melo career is equal to Regggie Miller.

When your NBA game isnt as good as the guys whom ain't even stars, allstars or superstars
then its time to retire,

There were guys whom played in NBA and werent stars Or superstars whom because of youth were better than "Old" Carmelo Anthony.
Melo desire for nba farewell ? why not ???

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
smackeddog
Member: #883
8/2/2019  3:03 AM
Melo did try holding us hostage by only okaying a trade to the rockets. So glad Perry held firm and ended up getting the pick that turned into Mitch AND avoided taking on Ryan Anderson's contract (could have cost us some assets as we likely would have had to get rid of it when we thought we were signing KD and Kyrie).

I never hated Melo, and I enjoyed some of the time he had with us- thought he was amazing in the last part of the Linsanity season (more impressive than Lin's run, but weirdly erased from history), that got us into the playoffs, and again in that season when we were good. However he refused to acknowledge his decline after his surgery, he refused for the last 2 seasons to accept a bench or diminished role, and now it's too late. It's a sad end, but he brought it on himself.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

8/2/2019  7:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/2/2019  8:22 AM

Never understood the hate for Melo from true Knick fans. The guy was the ONLY superstar that actually wanted to come here.(That wasnt crippled) He was also the last guy to get us smelling a finals with the likes JR Smith. I know Melo haters will cringe at the sound of Superstar but fact is he was one and is a future HOF. Despite being one dimensional.
As for all the chances after NY. Houston 10 games? OKC? With PG and Westbrook taking up the ball and sticking him in the corner? Okay. You got to have a little sympathy for the way things ended for him. Specially in Houston. They started off badly and needed a scape goat and he was playing horribly. It would have been nice for him if it worked out (Once a Knick always a Knick). Do agree that he MAY still be in the league if he would have accepted a bench role. Although you can't blame a guy who was THE guy for so many years to have trouble accepting that.

With that said, I Do not have sympathy that no one is able/giving him a courtesy shot right now. Unfortunatley for him, this is a business and the NBA has changed. Post players who held the ball quickly got sent to the glue factory. Most teams have either players they need to develop or players that better fit in their modern systems. They have to do whats best for their organazations. Dont think its fair that they just give up a roster spot just to honor a career while so many players are trying to build one.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/2/2019  8:58 AM
when you really think about it, he had the 2nd longest tenure since ward, houston and ewing. Longer than camby,LJ and spree. But since their run was much more exciting, they get more LOVE

Like Hofs said, he was really the only star who had the Guts and backbone to play here, perhaps if they would have added they would have kept adding the right vets around him like EWING had, we would have had more 54 win seasons, and been in contention during his prime.

ES
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/2/2019  9:23 AM
nah. he had one great seaaon for us, when he well earned his 3rd place mvp finish. in that season he had the perfect roster built around him and the perfect star-deferring coach. he’s a guy who needed everything built perfectly around him to really shine. the syracuse equation. like ai’s one perfect season in philly. that was the kind of performance we expected out of him every season but only got once, when all the chips were in his favor. and even then it flamed out as his perfect supporting cast broke down and he was left chucking an astounding number of bad misses.

his “playing days” of the last 2 years ending shockingly poorly is the cherry on top of the curious case of the career of carmelo anthony.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/2/2019  9:43 AM
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man who needs the ball
I've been dribbling a long, long time
Put the shot clock ticks to waste
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/2/2019  9:44 AM
Ah, if not for Stoudemire punching fire extinguisher enclosures, seriously tweaking his back on a warm up dunk, and ultimately all the cartilage in his knees melting away... Lin's first injuries (in a long line of injuries that followed him throughout his career)... Baron Davis's knee inverting... Billup completely breaking down... and Kevin Garnett dislocating Carmelo's shoulder... geez, a lot of mishaps happened during Carmelo's tenure that we weren't able to overcome!

Carmelo was a fine Knick - I think from an impact standpoint he certainly should be held in pretty high regard. While there are no charity spots on teams, a spot or two can open up after the trade deadline, particularly if predictions are right and we end up being a 30-35 win team and we jettison some players along the way.
(I mean, I personally think the team COULD hover around a .500 season particularly with the help of our improved depth and 3pt shooting... and squeeze into one of the final playoff spots if our top 5 players can all manage 70+gm seasons - but that's fodder for another thread)

In this scenario I can see the Knicks bringing back Carmelo to help sell tickets and get revenue back on a farewell tour when all is done.

Worst case scenario I'd hope the Knicks can bring him back at the last game of the season and have him as an honorary player so he can receive a video tribute.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Sympathy for the Melo?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy