Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/21/2019  1:46 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
blkexec wrote:Shout out to lifetime....that's my second home.

I never understood this hitch people are talking about. Reminds me of someone who told me to trust my follow through. He said I kept aiming my shots, and wasnt consistent. Went to the gym and shot 100 jumpers a day or every other day and next season I was a reliable 3pt shooter.

Repetition....that's all it takes. Once his confidence increases, along with his IQ, its over. Always been a fan and wished the knicks drafted him. Glad hes on our team now with a chance to shine.

Drew Hanlen is the league "shot doctor"

When he spent the summer with Markelle Fultz, he had Fultz do Three A Days with him. Fultz fired off about 150,000 + shots in that time.

Three Times A Day. Shooting in the morning, we are talking a thousand shots just then. Then weights and conditioning mid day, then another skill session in the evening. All day long.

When Hanlen helped David Lee, he fixed something crazy, like 14 different individual glitches in Lee's form. He had to get Lee to commit to new technique against a lifetime of previous muscle memory.

100 jumpers a day, or every other day , my ass.

Repetition is not all it takes.

DSJr offers no true 3 And D value. He's a poor decision maker on the floor. He also has attitude problems/personality glitches. He was available for a reason. Players do not magically turn "high BB IQ"

Why is Hanlen making players spent countless hours with him, three times a day, firing up a massive volume of shots when they could just hang out with you, and maybe also Mitch Robs 2nd cousins neighbors workout buddy who you met a frozen yogurt stand and pop off 100 jumpers every other day. Jesus, why didn't every player in the NBA think of that?

I agree with triplethreat 100%. Shooting is not just something you get better at by taking a lot of shots every day. It takes constant correction to even get somewhat good and the practice is constantly reminding yourself of every component of the shot (and mind you, there are A LOT of components.) Constant correction until you find it and THEN repetition to make your newly corrected form a habit. And for a pro ball player who is just not a great shooter to begin with, it takes a lot more than 100 shots. Then you have to worry about getting good at it in the game! That’s a different animal all together!

Shooting is a science. Not everyone can and will get it. Most people don’t! A lesson to kids: get good at it as early as possible. It’s like learning a foreign language.

I think Triple is right, but he just went all bat**** on blkexec. Although, no offense blkexec, that frozen yogurt stand line is classic.

There's bad science and good science. I've coached kids who could hit 400 3's in a row. Unfortunately it was in their driveway in front of an empty folding chair or in an empty gym. When I had three kids who actually had a shot at the JC level, I started having them shoot 15 to 20 shots in a row off racks, while running full speed back and forth to the basket after each shot. World of difference in the results from just standing and taking shots and doing the "gooseneck MJ pose" after each shot. One of the three kids, who was actually the best natural shooter, dropped out of these extra practice sessions, because he saw that his results sucked when he had to shoot while essentially running suicides.

Again, none of this means **** to an NBA athlete. Trier's mom used to rebound for the kid while he hoisted up thousands of shots a day. Lin has old vids after Linsanity taking hundreds of shots a day in a an empty gym with a ball retrieval system, and then spending the rest of the day toasting people in pick up games. Shump had vids of essentially running half speed and taking mid range jumpers all day. We read endlessly about Lance (another Triple favorite ) shooting 500-600 shots a day.

The only practice that makes perfect is perfect practice.

And everyone (and their mother, obviously) can define 'perfect' differently.

I'm just hoping we have a meaningful decision made at the PG position BEFORE the actual games start.

You clearly have not watched the youtube videos this summer, Knicks never misss! What is your idea of perfect practice?

Yeah, work randomly blocks youtube, and I don't have the time to invest at home to look at summer practice vids. Poor me.

Perfect practice would be what Triple already stated; working on correcting any and all errors, planning remediation to your opponents planned taking away of your strengths, and doing it all at as close to (or even surpassing) actual NBA speed. Relentlessly.

Two of those JC kids I mentioned above were international transfer students. They used to practice (occasionally) like their future lives depended on it. Which, to a certain extent, it did. They don't show better than the competition, and they don't get the tryout, or the camp invite, or a coach's eye or the scholarship.

Practices should always make the games seem like a paid vacation, IMHO.

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/21/2019  5:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/21/2019  5:21 PM
jrodmc wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
blkexec wrote:Shout out to lifetime....that's my second home.

I never understood this hitch people are talking about. Reminds me of someone who told me to trust my follow through. He said I kept aiming my shots, and wasnt consistent. Went to the gym and shot 100 jumpers a day or every other day and next season I was a reliable 3pt shooter.

Repetition....that's all it takes. Once his confidence increases, along with his IQ, its over. Always been a fan and wished the knicks drafted him. Glad hes on our team now with a chance to shine.

Drew Hanlen is the league "shot doctor"

When he spent the summer with Markelle Fultz, he had Fultz do Three A Days with him. Fultz fired off about 150,000 + shots in that time.

Three Times A Day. Shooting in the morning, we are talking a thousand shots just then. Then weights and conditioning mid day, then another skill session in the evening. All day long.

When Hanlen helped David Lee, he fixed something crazy, like 14 different individual glitches in Lee's form. He had to get Lee to commit to new technique against a lifetime of previous muscle memory.

100 jumpers a day, or every other day , my ass.

Repetition is not all it takes.

DSJr offers no true 3 And D value. He's a poor decision maker on the floor. He also has attitude problems/personality glitches. He was available for a reason. Players do not magically turn "high BB IQ"

Why is Hanlen making players spent countless hours with him, three times a day, firing up a massive volume of shots when they could just hang out with you, and maybe also Mitch Robs 2nd cousins neighbors workout buddy who you met a frozen yogurt stand and pop off 100 jumpers every other day. Jesus, why didn't every player in the NBA think of that?

I agree with triplethreat 100%. Shooting is not just something you get better at by taking a lot of shots every day. It takes constant correction to even get somewhat good and the practice is constantly reminding yourself of every component of the shot (and mind you, there are A LOT of components.) Constant correction until you find it and THEN repetition to make your newly corrected form a habit. And for a pro ball player who is just not a great shooter to begin with, it takes a lot more than 100 shots. Then you have to worry about getting good at it in the game! That’s a different animal all together!

Shooting is a science. Not everyone can and will get it. Most people don’t! A lesson to kids: get good at it as early as possible. It’s like learning a foreign language.

I think Triple is right, but he just went all bat**** on blkexec. Although, no offense blkexec, that frozen yogurt stand line is classic.

There's bad science and good science. I've coached kids who could hit 400 3's in a row. Unfortunately it was in their driveway in front of an empty folding chair or in an empty gym. When I had three kids who actually had a shot at the JC level, I started having them shoot 15 to 20 shots in a row off racks, while running full speed back and forth to the basket after each shot. World of difference in the results from just standing and taking shots and doing the "gooseneck MJ pose" after each shot. One of the three kids, who was actually the best natural shooter, dropped out of these extra practice sessions, because he saw that his results sucked when he had to shoot while essentially running suicides.

Again, none of this means **** to an NBA athlete. Trier's mom used to rebound for the kid while he hoisted up thousands of shots a day. Lin has old vids after Linsanity taking hundreds of shots a day in a an empty gym with a ball retrieval system, and then spending the rest of the day toasting people in pick up games. Shump had vids of essentially running half speed and taking mid range jumpers all day. We read endlessly about Lance (another Triple favorite ) shooting 500-600 shots a day.

The only practice that makes perfect is perfect practice.

And everyone (and their mother, obviously) can define 'perfect' differently.

I'm just hoping we have a meaningful decision made at the PG position BEFORE the actual games start.

You clearly have not watched the youtube videos this summer, Knicks never misss! What is your idea of perfect practice?

Yeah, work randomly blocks youtube, and I don't have the time to invest at home to look at summer practice vids. Poor me.

Perfect practice would be what Triple already stated; working on correcting any and all errors, planning remediation to your opponents planned taking away of your strengths, and doing it all at as close to (or even surpassing) actual NBA speed. Relentlessly.

Two of those JC kids I mentioned above were international transfer students. They used to practice (occasionally) like their future lives depended on it. Which, to a certain extent, it did. They don't show better than the competition, and they don't get the tryout, or the camp invite, or a coach's eye or the scholarship.

Practices should always make the games seem like a paid vacation, IMHO.

Blocking youtube? Those heartless bastards. Whats next, no Fortnite??

I see what you are saying also believe in tailor made drills for players who need work on certain parts of their game. Do believe certsin drills can help get that muscle memory going, or help with a conditioning issue. Believe the time a player puts in on his own (or with a trainer) can contribute to the success of "practice?".

I know from personal experience. Got to a point where I could make a bank shot parallel to the rim, using topsin. Guys would ask if I wanted to play horse, but couldnt use the glass, lol. I spent hours on it alone before I started trying it in games. The advantage being that its harder to block, if you can get a shot off fast enough. Also was a lousy defensive player until I started making up drills involving lateral movement, calisthenics to make my hips stronger. It really worked, went against guys with NBA speed, and could shut them down, often.

What Smith jr is doing with his shot doctor is just a part of what a player can do to improve his game. No one is suggesting that its the only thing a player needs to do to get better. So I dont understand the hostility to that part of his regimen. Markelle Fultz is one for the medical journals, one way or another. Wouldnt use him as an example. Drills work.

Used to have a lousy jumper. Spent hours shooting with one hand. Until my off hand wasnt playing backseat driver, so to speak, and changing the trajectory of my shot. Thats what was happening to Fultz, for some reason. Would start shooting with both hands, and the muscle memory was there. Became a very accurate shooter, off the dribble as well, because I practiced that too. Repetition is how you get good a practically anything. No its not a guarantee of success, but its pretty much guaranteed to fail without a prerequisite amount.

GustavBahler

8/21/2019  7:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/21/2019  7:54 PM
Remember when Oak first got to NY, every time he took a jumper you could often hear the Garden crowd sigh, lol. Forget which season it was, but Oakley came back one year with a decent baseline jumper, if you can call it a jumper. Im sure Oak went though a good amount of reps in the offseason to get there.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
8/21/2019  11:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/21/2019  11:24 PM
Not concerned about his shooting.
Decision making, distributing, leadership, and running the team.
This are skills required by any NBA PG.
He is not SG so shooting is not the main skill he need.
Our days is also fashionable to position pure skills PG who is shot, small, and bad defender for SG as an "off guard".
Traditionally off guard was just another name for SG.
Now this is some excuse definition for player who was unable to master any defined guard skills.
Hopefully DSJr will not be this in NY.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/26/2019  4:17 PM
Praise from a hof.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
GustavBahler

8/26/2019  9:54 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Praise from a hof.

Dont believe we've seen DSJr injury free and in top shape since becoming a pro. Nevermind the work with a shot doctor. Should be interesting to see what happens.

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
8/27/2019  9:57 AM
DSJr is the key to this season. I find it strange more people (not on this Board) are not onboard with this team. We literally improved at every position from last year. DSJr is looking like he is ready to take that next step into being a legitimate starting PG, and with Elfrid Payton backing him up, we finally have a competent PG rotation.
Trust the Process
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/27/2019  10:26 AM
This kid before his acl was projected to be the top draft pick coming out. He did not find his feet until last 10games of his college season. What ever questions the knocked him below Frank in the draft have been valid.

comes a time.......If healthy and things fixed its time to show the world what he can do. On paper Fiz was stoked about him and Frank as pair. See what happens. I don't define him a PG or SG, I define him as a "guard"! They run, jump, Shoot, Play D, pass, and penetrate. I don't care if you a 1 or a 2.

On paper this team is deep. I have no idea of rotations...... who fits or who sits? All I know is Smith has star potential. We got 4 bonafide Blue chippers. Frank can get back on the bandwagon and make it 5.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/27/2019  11:41 AM
Hopefully we can see more development from Dennis Smith Jr. The reports make it seem like he's been very active this summer: working out with CP3 back in early July, working with his shot trainer, regular trainer, and Fiz, plus getting in some game action wreaking havoc in Pro-Am games.

He's already capable of 15/5/3. That's solid enough production, but we're looking for him to improve on his efficiency. If he nudge up his shooting numbers up another percent or 2 (finish at the rim a little better - Fizdale's specialty; clean up shooting behind the arc (shot selection?); improve FT shooting) he'll look a lot better.

Then there's the fitness side - he'll ideally show some improvement to his motor. When he's fresh and engaged, he'd already quite good, but when he's tired most folks say he coasts. Coasting is normal, but fitness will raise the level of his floor level of effort.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/27/2019  12:04 PM
technomaster wrote:Hopefully we can see more development from Dennis Smith Jr. The reports make it seem like he's been very active this summer: working out with CP3 back in early July, working with his shot trainer, regular trainer, and Fiz, plus getting in some game action wreaking havoc in Pro-Am games.

He's already capable of 15/5/3. That's solid enough production, but we're looking for him to improve on his efficiency. If he nudge up his shooting numbers up another percent or 2 (finish at the rim a little better - Fizdale's specialty; clean up shooting behind the arc (shot selection?); improve FT shooting) he'll look a lot better.

Then there's the fitness side - he'll ideally show some improvement to his motor. When he's fresh and engaged, he'd already quite good, but when he's tired most folks say he coasts. Coasting is normal, but fitness will raise the level of his floor level of effort.

The wild thing is. He has been said to not have been in elite level shape his first 2 seasons. He has put in the effort to get in that elite level shape as asked of him.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
blkexec
Member: #748
8/27/2019  9:59 PM
Nalod wrote:This kid before his acl was projected to be the top draft pick coming out. He did not find his feet until last 10games of his college season. What ever questions the knocked him below Frank in the draft have been valid.

comes a time.......If healthy and things fixed its time to show the world what he can do. On paper Fiz was stoked about him and Frank as pair. See what happens. I don't define him a PG or SG, I define him as a "guard"! They run, jump, Shoot, Play D, pass, and penetrate. I don't care if you a 1 or a 2.

On paper this team is deep. I have no idea of rotations...... who fits or who sits? All I know is Smith has star potential. We got 4 bonafide Blue chippers. Frank can get back on the bandwagon and make it 5.

Thank you....He's an explosive guard, who plays above the rim and can shoot the 3. If he simply continues to work on his strength, he's a solid pro nba player. If he works on his strengths and improves his weaknesses, we have an all star player.

I wanted the knicks to pick him in the draft, and didn't want Frank. So I'm going to be optimistic. What else do we need to see? As long as he stays health, the skies the limit for DSj. Plus, the organization needs him to succeed, to justify the KP trade. Plus he has a legit PG breathing down his back, which adds more motivation. I'm hyped about this team and think we can take Orlando or Miami's spot for the 8th seed.

Usually I hate when we just make the playoffs, just to get knocked out the first round. But this will be great experience for a young team, if we make the playoffs. Plus it's self marketing for potential free agents. It will show everybody we only 1 or 2 max players away from coming out of the eastern conference. But it starts with the growth of our young guns....including DSJ, RJ, Knox and Money Mitch.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Allanfan20
Member: #542
USA
8/28/2019  7:26 AM
Nalod wrote:This kid before his acl was projected to be the top draft pick coming out. He did not find his feet until last 10games of his college season. What ever questions the knocked him below Frank in the draft have been valid.

This is a problem to me for smith. He CAN play both SG duties and on paper, he CAN look like a star. In those videos, he looks smooth as ice as well. We also see him getting blown by.

Also, you’re basically saying he’s a “jack of all trades” but it also shows he’s an expert at none, which he isn’t. That can be a big problem.

I might be agreeing with you on this but I look at it like this.... Just don’t have any expectations for the guy. Same with Frank, Knox and Barrett. I have expectations for the vets.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
8/28/2019  7:53 AM
blkexec wrote:

Thank you....He's an explosive guard, who plays above the rim and can shoot the 3. If he simply continues to work on his strength, he's a solid pro nba player. If he works on his strengths and improves his weaknesses, we have an all star player.

I wanted the knicks to pick him in the draft, and didn't want Frank. So I'm going to be optimistic. What else do we need to see? As long as he stays health, the skies the limit for DSj. Plus, the organization needs him to succeed, to justify the KP trade. Plus he has a legit PG breathing down his back, which adds more motivation. I'm hyped about this team and think we can take Orlando or Miami's spot for the 8th seed.

Usually I hate when we just make the playoffs, just to get knocked out the first round. But this will be great experience for a young team, if we make the playoffs. Plus it's self marketing for potential free agents. It will show everybody we only 1 or 2 max players away from coming out of the eastern conference. But it starts with the growth of our young guns....including DSJ, RJ, Knox and Money Mitch.

i hear this. i am surrounded by people who keep woofing in my ear about the knicks and i just keep smirking at them and brushing the debris off my shoulder. let 'em hawk their nonsense about ruptured old kd's and mentally deteriorating ki's. i want to see these kids growing their game and confidence and cohesion.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/28/2019  10:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/28/2019  10:25 AM
Marv wrote:
blkexec wrote:

i hear this. i am surrounded by people who keep woofing in my ear about the knicks and i just keep smirking at them and brushing the debris off my shoulder. let 'em hawk their nonsense about ruptured old kd's and mentally deteriorating ki's. i want to see these kids growing their game and confidence and cohesion.

Your not going to see much of that unless the young guys step up from Day 1.

Your more likely going to see what Kanter did to Willy or what burke and Mudiay did to frank, getting them placed on the back burner.

A lot of that is going to be on the FO and Coaching staff and the goal they set. If the goal is just improve, then here comes another 17 to 20 win season with utter confusion, if the goal is to establish this roster as a playoff contender, then you will see more stability from the rotation and coaching staff.

Randle and DSJ have the ability to take this team to the next level, if they take their games to the next level

ES
jrodmc
Member: #805
USA
8/28/2019  10:31 AM
Marv wrote:
blkexec wrote:

This.

It boggles the mind that after 2 or 3 20-win seasons and one season of 1st round elimination, the Nyets became this "prestigious" team that attracts free agents.

Let's play the games.

NBK
Member: #8667

8/29/2019  5:02 PM
If DSJ takes the next step this season. The Knicks could suprise some people IMO
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/29/2019  5:43 PM
NBK wrote:If DSJ takes the next step this season. The Knicks could suprise some people IMO

The next step is kind of hard to quantify. A new jumper would be nice, but that alone won't get us into the playoffs. Alot if his growth needs to come from his overall floor management. He worked out with Chris Paul this summer and I hope they talked about more than just basketball moves. Chauncey Billups is remembered as a great floor general, but he was trash coming into the league. I'm hoping DSJ I able to grow in that area. Having someone like Elfrid should help DSJ in that regard.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

8/29/2019  7:36 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
NBK wrote:If DSJ takes the next step this season. The Knicks could suprise some people IMO

The next step is kind of hard to quantify. A new jumper would be nice, but that alone won't get us into the playoffs. Alot if his growth needs to come from his overall floor management. He worked out with Chris Paul this summer and I hope they talked about more than just basketball moves. Chauncey Billups is remembered as a great floor general, but he was trash coming into the league. I'm hoping DSJ I able to grow in that area. Having someone like Elfrid should help DSJ in that regard.

Whats encouraging is that Smith jr isnt a ball stopper. The numbers bear that out. Needs work on his efficiency, not on sharing the rock. Just becoming a more efficient player should pay big dividends.

BTW did you buy that cookbook?

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/29/2019  10:07 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Whats encouraging is that Smith jr isnt a ball stopper. The numbers bear that out. Needs work on his efficiency, not on sharing the rock. Just becoming a more efficient player should pay big dividends.

Ha, funny you should mention that. I've recently started going to this place called Royal Farms. It's similar to Sheetz, Wa Was etc. I'm not joking...best fast-food fried chicken I've had. I've been living in this place. I can't remember the last time I've fried an egg, let alone chops or chicken. I'm sure the phase won't last...but to answer your question, not yet.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
blkexec
Member: #748
8/30/2019  8:32 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Ha, funny you should mention that. I've recently started going to this place called Royal Farms. It's similar to Sheetz, Wa Was etc. I'm not joking...best fast-food fried chicken I've had. I've been living in this place. I can't remember the last time I've fried an egg, let alone chops or chicken. I'm sure the phase won't last...but to answer your question, not yet.

Wait a minute...Royal Farms is my go to spot. I remember meeting up with friends at Fridays and stopped at Royal farms 1st. All my friends clowned me. I was in the parking lot killing that chicken and wedges. They have that in NYC? My 1st time having that was in Maryland.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
DSJr mechanics improvement

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy