[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

DSJr mechanics improvement
Author Thread
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/28/2019  12:09 PM
blkexec wrote:Shout out to lifetime....that's my second home.

I never understood this hitch people are talking about. Reminds me of someone who told me to trust my follow through. He said I kept aiming my shots, and wasnt consistent. Went to the gym and shot 100 jumpers a day or every other day and next season I was a reliable 3pt shooter.

Repetition....that's all it takes. Once his confidence increases, along with his IQ, its over. Always been a fan and wished the knicks drafted him. Glad hes on our team now with a chance to shine.

Drew Hanlen is the league "shot doctor"

When he spent the summer with Markelle Fultz, he had Fultz do Three A Days with him. Fultz fired off about 150,000 + shots in that time.

Three Times A Day. Shooting in the morning, we are talking a thousand shots just then. Then weights and conditioning mid day, then another skill session in the evening. All day long.

When Hanlen helped David Lee, he fixed something crazy, like 14 different individual glitches in Lee's form. He had to get Lee to commit to new technique against a lifetime of previous muscle memory.

100 jumpers a day, or every other day , my ass.

Repetition is not all it takes.

DSJr offers no true 3 And D value. He's a poor decision maker on the floor. He also has attitude problems/personality glitches. He was available for a reason. Players do not magically turn "high BB IQ"

Why is Hanlen making players spent countless hours with him, three times a day, firing up a massive volume of shots when they could just hang out with you, and maybe also Mitch Robs 2nd cousins neighbors workout buddy who you met a frozen yogurt stand and pop off 100 jumpers every other day. Jesus, why didn't every player in the NBA think of that?

AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/28/2019  12:26 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

I never understood this hitch people are talking about. Reminds me of someone who told me to trust my follow through. He said I kept aiming my shots, and wasnt consistent. Went to the gym and shot 100 jumpers a day or every other day and next season I was a reliable 3pt shooter.

Repetition....that's all it takes. Once his confidence increases, along with his IQ, its over. Always been a fan and wished the knicks drafted him. Glad hes on our team now with a chance to shine.

When he spent the summer with Markelle Fultz, he had Fultz do Three A Days with him. Fultz fired off about 150,000 + shots in that time.

Three Times A Day. Shooting in the morning, we are talking a thousand shots just then. Then weights and conditioning mid day, then another skill session in the evening. All day long.

When Hanlen helped David Lee, he fixed something crazy, like 14 different individual glitches in Lee's form. He had to get Lee to commit to new technique against a lifetime of previous muscle memory.

DSJr offers no true 3 And D value. He's a poor decision maker on the floor. He also has attitude problems/personality glitches. He was available for a reason. Players do not magically turn "high BB IQ"

Why is Hanlen making players spent countless hours with him, three times a day, firing up a massive volume of shots when they could just hang out with you, and maybe also Mitch Robs 2nd cousins neighbors workout buddy who you met a frozen yogurt stand and pop off 100 jumpers every other day. Jesus, why didn't every player in the NBA think of that?

I think Smith worked with Hanlen last summer. This summer he has been working with Smart. Not sure if he has spent time with Hanlen this summer but I know Barrett was working with him.
Good to know Smith was working on his shot with Hanlen at 20. Hopefully he wasn’t out of his developmental window at that point.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
blkexec
Member: #748
7/28/2019  8:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/28/2019  8:45 PM
TripleThreat wrote:

I'm speaking from experience, not second hand smoke. That's #1

#2 If your argument is that repetition is not all it takes, then theres no point in debating anything else with you. Repetition is the fundamental principle of learning. If this is not true, humor me.

#3 I thought I put you on mute.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
TripleThreat

7/28/2019  10:03 PM
blkexec wrote:I'm speaking from experience, not second hand smoke. That's #1

A) You are not an NBA player

B) You were never an NBA player

C) You will never be an NBA player

D) Your experiences as a juiced up AAU shot jacking Me First Me Always chucker has no relation to what NBA players have to go through

E) You are not facing NBA grade competition

F) You are not facing NBA grade defenses

G) You are not facing NBA defenses who have scouted you and game plan to take away your known best offensive spots on the floor

H) You are not and have never played at the level of pure attrition of the NBA regular season

Here are some realities of professional sports. The higher you go, the tougher competition you face, your margin of error goes to close to zero. So a fundamental flaw you can get by with at a lower level just won't fly at the pro level.

Drew Hanlen's process, part of it, is to also correct the kinetic chain imbalances that help to create bad fundamentals. Which is why one of his Three A Day workouts is built around conditioning and strength. He's taking an individual process based on the dynamics of the player in front of him ( this is the strategy used by the Phoenix Suns vaunted medical staff that helped Nash, Grant Hill and Jermaine O Neal prolong their careers)

Hanlen also tries to recreate game conditions and game stresses, things you can't do in an open empty gym. He's trying to get players to develop new muscle memory AT PRACTICAL NBA GAME SPEED. It's one thing to do it when you are fresh, in an empty gym, it's another when you are tired, battered, hurt, and going against the most elite athletes in the world who spent countless amounts of hours planning to take all your strengths from you.

If what you say was correct, all NBA players would be dropping 3's like eating cotton candy at the amusement park on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Repetition is not all your need.

YOU NEED NEW MUSCLE MEMORY WITH CORRECTED FUNDAMENTALS BASED ON REALIGNING FLAWS/IMBALANCES IN YOUR KINETIC CHAIN THAT CAN OPERATE AT TOP LEVEL NBA GAME SPEED WHILE UNDER DURESS.

Oh, and to some dumbass comment you made a bit back. No one has an agenda against you. You just say really dumb ****. I mean you say dumb **** like blame the fans and just take 100 jumpers a day or every other day. What the **** are you even talking about? Sometimes you say **** so dumb I want to take you to the drive thru and get you Happy Meal. (Maybe the toy in the box will distract you long enough to stop associating your experiences with actual NBA players)

blkexec
7/29/2019  1:02 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
blkexec wrote:I'm speaking from experience, not second hand smoke. That's #1

A) You are not an NBA player

B) You were never an NBA player

C) You will never be an NBA player

D) Your experiences as a juiced up AAU shot jacking Me First Me Always chucker has no relation to what NBA players have to go through

E) You are not facing NBA grade competition

F) You are not facing NBA grade defenses

G) You are not facing NBA defenses who have scouted you and game plan to take away your known best offensive spots on the floor

H) You are not and have never played at the level of pure attrition of the NBA regular season

Here are some realities of professional sports. The higher you go, the tougher competition you face, your margin of error goes to close to zero. So a fundamental flaw you can get by with at a lower level just won't fly at the pro level.

Drew Hanlen's process, part of it, is to also correct the kinetic chain imbalances that help to create bad fundamentals. Which is why one of his Three A Day workouts is built around conditioning and strength. He's taking an individual process based on the dynamics of the player in front of him ( this is the strategy used by the Phoenix Suns vaunted medical staff that helped Nash, Grant Hill and Jermaine O Neal prolong their careers)

Hanlen also tries to recreate game conditions and game stresses, things you can't do in an open empty gym. He's trying to get players to develop new muscle memory AT PRACTICAL NBA GAME SPEED. It's one thing to do it when you are fresh, in an empty gym, it's another when you are tired, battered, hurt, and going against the most elite athletes in the world who spent countless amounts of hours planning to take all your strengths from you.

If what you say was correct, all NBA players would be dropping 3's like eating cotton candy at the amusement park on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Repetition is not all your need.

YOU NEED NEW MUSCLE MEMORY WITH CORRECTED FUNDAMENTALS BASED ON REALIGNING FLAWS/IMBALANCES IN YOUR KINETIC CHAIN THAT CAN OPERATE AT TOP LEVEL NBA GAME SPEED WHILE UNDER DURESS.

Oh, and to some dumbass comment you made a bit back. No one has an agenda against you. You just say really dumb ****. I mean you say dumb **** like blame the fans and just take 100 jumpers a day or every other day. What the **** are you even talking about? Sometimes you say **** so dumb I want to take you to the drive thru and get you Happy Meal. (Maybe the toy in the box will distract you long enough to stop associating your experiences with actual NBA players)

I'm sure you said a lot of good stuff....straight from the heart. But I couldn't get passed the 1st two lines. You obviously looking for a internet fight....Because I know you don't talk like this face to face.

You don't know me....all you know is that screen in front of you and the words on the screen. lol

Classic Internet bully 101. I hate these kids have to deal with trolls like this. Makes the old days of fist fighting and face to face convos look so much better.

So instead of reading your long...over exaggerated response. Let me reply by saying, I hope DSJ extra work on his jumper pays off. From personal experience, playing against Agent Zero in a Virginia League, my jumper improved in 1 year, from simply shooting x amount of jumpers per day. I don't care if your jumper is broke.....Reggie Miller and several others are proof. As long as you put in the reps, you will see improvement.

The problem with todays NBA players, they don't put in the work thats needed. They are walking millionairs that don't have to work for their fortune anymore. This is the microwave generation....They want results now. But I think DSJ is different and has a lot of skills in his tool box, compared to these other guys who wont even shoot the ball outside the paint.

I'm looking forward to this season....See how these rookies and sophomores respond to all this veteran knowledge and mentorship, along with competition for minutes.

PS: I never said I played in the NBA. But if my basketball confidence rubs you the wrong way, sounds like a personal problem. My days of proving anything to you or anybody left 15 years ago. If you had said this BS when I first signed on, I would've invited you to hoop with me, and you might be able to sign some autographs. Now, I will just pray for your health and well being.

The best way to address negative energy is with love.

Now let me see if I can fix this mute button again. So I can save yourself....from yourself.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
TripleThreat

7/30/2019  2:49 AM
blkexec wrote: I don't care if your jumper is broke.....Reggie Miller and several others are proof. As long as you put in the reps, you will see improvement.

The problem with todays NBA players, they don't put in the work thats needed. They are walking millionairs that don't have to work for their fortune anymore. This is the microwave generation....They want results now.

Todays professional athletes are working harder than ever before at their craft.

Many are now in systems where they can't play other sports, they must focus YEAR ROUND at their specific sport of choice at lower levels.

As players get bigger/stronger/faster, and as training techniques and health care/strategy improves, you have a reduced margin of error.

Steph Curry is the best shooter in all of NBA history. His fundamentals are flawless. Which is why he can shoot from halfcourt at full NBA game speed even with two defenders in his face.

More repetition with glitches in your fundamentals does not make you a better shooter. If you have fundamental flaws, PLAYING AGAINST LESSER COMPETITION AND NOT AT NBA GAME SPEED will make you a more productive shooter ( notice I didn't say better , but you'll get more shots to drop because your margin of error increases)

But no matter how hard you work, you need to work even harder. And smarter.

Going to someone like Hanlen is about working harder and smarter.

IIRC, it was Mike James who ended up on the Suns, and their medical staff determined one of his legs was slightly longer than the other ( by measurements close to nothing) but they got him special shoes to compensate for this. James IIRC spoke out about how it made a big difference in managing his pain and health. It's this kind of stuff that matters, this kind of stuff Hanlen is doing, individual breakdowns based on the individual in front of him. Just getting "reps" is not the answer.

Your basketball "confidence" is just narcissism. You don't know what the **** you are even talking about here.

blkexec
7/30/2019  8:31 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
blkexec wrote: I don't care if your jumper is broke.....Reggie Miller and several others are proof. As long as you put in the reps, you will see improvement.

The problem with todays NBA players, they don't put in the work thats needed. They are walking millionairs that don't have to work for their fortune anymore. This is the microwave generation....They want results now.

Todays professional athletes are working harder than ever before at their craft.

Many are now in systems where they can't play other sports, they must focus YEAR ROUND at their specific sport of choice at lower levels.

As players get bigger/stronger/faster, and as training techniques and health care/strategy improves, you have a reduced margin of error.

Steph Curry is the best shooter in all of NBA history. His fundamentals are flawless. Which is why he can shoot from halfcourt at full NBA game speed even with two defenders in his face.

More repetition with glitches in your fundamentals does not make you a better shooter. If you have fundamental flaws, PLAYING AGAINST LESSER COMPETITION AND NOT AT NBA GAME SPEED will make you a more productive shooter ( notice I didn't say better , but you'll get more shots to drop because your margin of error increases)

IIRC, it was Mike James who ended up on the Suns, and their medical staff determined one of his legs was slightly longer than the other ( by measurements close to nothing) but they got him special shoes to compensate for this. James IIRC spoke out about how it made a big difference in managing his pain and health. It's this kind of stuff that matters, this kind of stuff Hanlen is doing, individual breakdowns based on the individual in front of him. Just getting "reps" is not the answer.

Your basketball "confidence" is just narcissism. You don't know what the **** you are even talking about here.

Another stalker alert.....go find another toy to play with.

Kemet
Member: #6148

7/30/2019  5:46 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
franco12 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:why is frank not joining him, who's actually a worse shooter?

maybe because he has bigger problems! And he knows his time here is limited.

Frank was working out with Miller and Kadeem Allen. I don't think the Knicks are neglecting him.

Why do they continue to bring in point guard after point guard since he's been here?

He's obviously not a pure PG, and with DSJ, Payton, Trier, dotson, RJ, bullock, all better than him, where do you see him getting minutes, other than token minutes.

If Fiz comes to camp with the same silly erratic rotations, benching guys every other wk, expect the results to be the same

So true .. if Fizdale start his erratic substitution changing rotation/lineups every other game the results will end the same as the 17 win season.
And Mills/Perry erractic change of adding so many young raw LOW IQ PG the past 2 seasons will also result in having the same 17 win season. The best IQ PG the Knicks had on their roster the past 2 seasons were Jarrett Jack .. the Knicks signing PG Elfrid Payton in the offseason wasn't the best move, but Payton's team-ball IQ are the same as Jarrett Jack from gaining knowledge from moving around the league the past two seasons.
Knicks ex-Coach Horn biggest mistake were never tandem Jack & Frank in the backcourt to run the offense/defense. The Knicks biggest need in the offseason were an experience NBA PG like CP3, or Westbrook, or Conley, or Beveley.
Will coach Fizdale tandem Payton & Frank, or Payton & DSJr, or Frank & DSJr to run the point together in the backcourt to add successful ball-movement without turn-overs? NO! I doubt it.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/30/2019  6:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2019  8:41 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Once again a long dissertation trying to show you know basketball? No matter how much research you do on every blog on the interweb, we both know your only experience with high level organized ball is your stalking and heckling of players at your local community college. Blkexec is just pointing out that repetition is the basic key to improving in ANY sport. You have to go an attack the guy with your typical long winded way of saying the obvious and going on your meaningless tangents.

You are using Steph Curry as your smoking gun example? To prove what? That repetition is not important? Steph Curry's mechanics are actually not mechanically flawless in the traditional sense. He is actually the best example of a product of repetition than a product of technical absorption. Lets see if you can figure out why?

If repetition was not as important as you claim then why did so many great shooter in NBA history have such different mechanics? Fact is, the reason so many great shooters had different nuances in their mechanics, (which were probably considered hitches by traditional mechanical gurus) yet were still great shooters, was because of the endless hours and shots taken in practice.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Kemet
Member: #6148

7/30/2019  7:19 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Once again a long dissertation trying to show you know basketball? No matter how much research you do on every blog on the interweb, we both know your only experience with high level organized ball is your stalking and heckling of players at your local community college. Blkexec is just pointing out that repetition is the basic key to improving in ANY sport. You have to go an attack the guy with your typical long winded way of saying the obvious and going on your meaningless tangents.

You are using Steph Curry as your smoking gun example? To prove what? That repetition is not important? Steph Curry's mechanics are actually not mechanically flawless in the traditional sense. He is actually the best example of a product of repetition than a product of technical absorption. Lets see if you can figure out why?

If repetition was not as important as you claim then why did so many great shooter in NBA history have such different mechanics? Fact is, the reason so many great shooters had different nuances in their mechanics (which were probably considered hitches by traditional mechanical gurus) yet were still great shooters was because of the endless hours and shots taken in practice.

So true .. Pete Maverich, and Hodges, and Larry Bird's shooting were above outstanding !!!

blkexec
7/31/2019  2:32 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

If repetition was not as important as you claim then why did so many great shooter in NBA history have such different mechanics? Fact is, the reason so many great shooters had different nuances in their mechanics (which were probably considered hitches by traditional mechanical gurus) yet were still great shooters was because of the endless hours and shots taken in practice.

Well said....Couldn't agree more. I thought it was obvious. Wasn't expecting a long debate on Repetition. It's so basic, not worth debating.

But I saw the hitch in DSJ free throw, that Martin posted. I remember a good shooter told me that I used to do the same thing. He said keep the same follow through all the way until your goose neck is formed...Trust your shot. I used to hestitate or pull up short, trying to aim it, which looks like DSJ in that free throw clip. With DSJ being the closest player to DRose height and athleticism, hes going to be hard to stop.. If that jumper is consistent.

Based on DSJ recent pickup games, looks like his form is smoother and confident. Hopefully he can bring that same confidence and form into the NBA this season. If so, the skies the limit for him. Pressure will fall back on Fitz to manage minutes between 2 or 3 capable point guards on the roster, if you include Frank and maybe Trier. Fitz has some decisions to make up and down the roster.

By the way, if DSJ and Trier comes off the bench, along with Knox and Portis....Thats going to be a high scoring, fast break lineup. I bet practice scrimages will be very exciting to watch. I would pay to see that. I think the second unit could give the starters a run for their money. Hate to be Fitz this year.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/31/2019  9:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/19/2019  11:09 AM
blkexec wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Well said....Couldn't agree more. I thought it was obvious. Wasn't expecting a long debate on Repetition. It's so basic, not worth debating.

But I saw the hitch in DSJ free throw, that Martin posted. I remember a good shooter told me that I used to do the same thing. He said keep the same follow through all the way until your goose neck is formed...Trust your shot. I used to hestitate or pull up short, trying to aim it, which looks like DSJ in that free throw clip. With DSJ being the closest player to DRose height and athleticism, hes going to be hard to stop.. If that jumper is consistent.

Based on DSJ recent pickup games, looks like his form is smoother and confident. Hopefully he can bring that same confidence and form into the NBA this season. If so, the skies the limit for him. Pressure will fall back on Fitz to manage minutes between 2 or 3 capable point guards on the roster, if you include Frank and maybe Trier. Fitz has some decisions to make up and down the roster.

By the way, if DSJ and Trier comes off the bench, along with Knox and Portis....Thats going to be a high scoring, fast break lineup. I bet practice scrimages will be very exciting to watch. I would pay to see that. I think the second unit could give the starters a run for their money. Hate to be Fitz this year.

Agree. He was making it seem like you were saying eating chocolate was the most important variable to improving ones shot. Btw, Did not really address DSJR's shot in my post. Smith did have a big hitch last year. Instead of having a fluid motion to release he had a big hesitation right before the release. Causing him to shoot after he reached his peak. In the videos that I have seen rececently, it has been dramatically improved. Although in couple of the ones posted, you can still see signs that the work is not complete. Of course, most with this problem usually see it come back as confidence fades. It will be important for him to have a strong start early in the year and in games that count. I do believe/agree that Fluidity/Flow, Rhythm and confidence are huge factors in improving ones shot. Which btw are all improved through repetition. Sure, you have to be within the spectrum of basic physical mechanics (Obvious for most without a dissertation) but as mentioned, many have shown that they can deviate from the norm and still have the attributes mentioned above.
Curry was a good example of that . He was a kid that had to change his shot in high school. He was a waist level initiator. As many young kids are. You can see a bit of that today. However, he was always known as an extremely hard worker and was relentless in putting up shots in practice (repetition). Think he has the best flow, rhythm and confidence in the game today. If you look at the guy that has worked the closest with him in the last 5 years, Fraser, he too is a big believer in the importance of fluidity and not technical preciseness. As seen in the great shooter he has coached, you can have different mechanics as long as you have a relentless work ethic.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/31/2019  9:19 AM
Kemet wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
franco12 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:why is frank not joining him, who's actually a worse shooter?

maybe because he has bigger problems! And he knows his time here is limited.

Frank was working out with Miller and Kadeem Allen. I don't think the Knicks are neglecting him.

Why do they continue to bring in point guard after point guard since he's been here?

He's obviously not a pure PG, and with DSJ, Payton, Trier, dotson, RJ, bullock, all better than him, where do you see him getting minutes, other than token minutes.

If Fiz comes to camp with the same silly erratic rotations, benching guys every other wk, expect the results to be the same

So true .. if Fizdale start his erratic substitution changing rotation/lineups every other game the results will end the same as the 17 win season.
And Mills/Perry erractic change of adding so many young raw LOW IQ PG the past 2 seasons will also result in having the same 17 win season. The best IQ PG the Knicks had on their roster the past 2 seasons were Jarrett Jack .. the Knicks signing PG Elfrid Payton in the offseason wasn't the best move, but Payton's team-ball IQ are the same as Jarrett Jack from gaining knowledge from moving around the league the past two seasons.
Knicks ex-Coach Horn biggest mistake were never tandem Jack & Frank in the backcourt to run the offense/defense. The Knicks biggest need in the offseason were an experience NBA PG like CP3, or Westbrook, or Conley, or Beveley.
Will coach Fizdale tandem Payton & Frank, or Payton & DSJr, or Frank & DSJr to run the point together in the backcourt to add successful ball-movement without turn-overs? NO! I doubt it.

You almost assume Fiz's erratic lineups are the core reason for losses. Or is the line up changes a symptom of something else.
If he didn't, perhaps a theme of "he is stubborn and won't make changes.
I would not put Beverly in the same breath as Paul, Westbrook or Conley. Now your just saying "We need stars". You really want CP3 here? His contract?
I dig his competitive edge but is it right for this team. Give up future cap space flex and a declining skill set?
Westbrook? Same at a much higher level. You look at his contact and think beyond one season. Its not pretty.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/19/2019  10:07 AM
Didnt see this posted before. Some interesting numbers included good/bad. Still psyched the Knicks have a young PG with so much upside.

http://forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2019/08/09/knicks-offseason-spotlight-dennis-smith-jr/amp/

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
8/20/2019  12:20 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Didnt see this posted before. Some interesting numbers included good/bad. Still psyched the Knicks have a young PG with so much upside.

http://forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2019/08/09/knicks-offseason-spotlight-dennis-smith-jr/amp/

Funny writing in the article:
"Dennis Smith Jr, Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz and Ben Simmons. That’s obviously not the company you want to keep when it comes to offensive efficiency."

He's in the same company as 2 #1 overall picks and a #2 overall. That's a pretty good place to be, especially considering Simmons just signed a 5 year max contract worth $170m at age 23. Whoa!

I think the Kemba Walker comparisons in the article is quite good as a best case scenario.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
GustavBahler

8/20/2019  12:53 PM
technomaster wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Didnt see this posted before. Some interesting numbers included good/bad. Still psyched the Knicks have a young PG with so much upside.

Funny writing in the article:
"Dennis Smith Jr, Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz and Ben Simmons. That’s obviously not the company you want to keep when it comes to offensive efficiency."

He's in the same company as 2 #1 overall picks and a #2 overall. That's a pretty good place to be, especially considering Simmons just signed a 5 year max contract worth $170m at age 23. Whoa!

I think the Kemba Walker comparisons in the article is quite good as a best case scenario.

Yup, that was the bad part, lol. But the good shows how good Smith jr. can be if his offseason regimen pays off. Glad Payton is here to challenge Smith for minutes. From what Ive read and heard, DSJr welcomes the challenge. Might be the best PG competiton since Jackson/Strickland.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/21/2019  7:57 AM
Both Payton and Denis have injury issues. Payton 6 years in, first three full seasons played, Missed 19 games next two and about 38 last year. Neither is considered "Durable" but that does not mean its career defining yet. Maybe now frank has stopped growing he will have a better season. He played 78 games his rookie year. I would not define him as injury prone after one season. My point is these three if healthy and if Frank can hit a damn shot will get minutes. Frank at 21 can get that offensive game in gear becomes a valuable player.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/21/2019  8:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/21/2019  8:43 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

I agree with triplethreat 100%. Shooting is not just something you get better at by taking a lot of shots every day. It takes constant correction to even get somewhat good and the practice is constantly reminding yourself of every component of the shot (and mind you, there are A LOT of components.) Constant correction until you find it and THEN repetition to make your newly corrected form a habit. And for a pro ball player who is just not a great shooter to begin with, it takes a lot more than 100 shots. Then you have to worry about getting good at it in the game! That’s a different animal all together!

Shooting is a science. Not everyone can and will get it. Most people don’t! A lesson to kids: get good at it as early as possible. It’s like learning a foreign language.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/21/2019  11:18 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I agree with triplethreat 100%. Shooting is not just something you get better at by taking a lot of shots every day. It takes constant correction to even get somewhat good and the practice is constantly reminding yourself of every component of the shot (and mind you, there are A LOT of components.) Constant correction until you find it and THEN repetition to make your newly corrected form a habit. And for a pro ball player who is just not a great shooter to begin with, it takes a lot more than 100 shots. Then you have to worry about getting good at it in the game! That’s a different animal all together!

Shooting is a science. Not everyone can and will get it. Most people don’t! A lesson to kids: get good at it as early as possible. It’s like learning a foreign language.

I think Triple is right, but he just went all bat**** on blkexec. Although, no offense blkexec, that frozen yogurt stand line is classic.

There's bad science and good science. I've coached kids who could hit 400 3's in a row. Unfortunately it was in their driveway in front of an empty folding chair or in an empty gym. When I had three kids who actually had a shot at the JC level, I started having them shoot 15 to 20 shots in a row off racks, while running full speed back and forth to the basket after each shot. World of difference in the results from just standing and taking shots and doing the "gooseneck MJ pose" after each shot. One of the three kids, who was actually the best natural shooter, dropped out of these extra practice sessions, because he saw that his results sucked when he had to shoot while essentially running suicides.

Again, none of this means **** to an NBA athlete. Trier's mom used to rebound for the kid while he hoisted up thousands of shots a day. Lin has old vids after Linsanity taking hundreds of shots a day in a an empty gym with a ball retrieval system, and then spending the rest of the day toasting people in pick up games. Shump had vids of essentially running half speed and taking mid range jumpers all day. We read endlessly about Lance (another Triple favorite ) shooting 500-600 shots a day.

The only practice that makes perfect is perfect practice.

And everyone (and their mother, obviously) can define 'perfect' differently.

I'm just hoping we have a meaningful decision made at the PG position BEFORE the actual games start.

GustavBahler

8/21/2019  11:46 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I think Triple is right, but he just went all bat**** on blkexec. Although, no offense blkexec, that frozen yogurt stand line is classic.

There's bad science and good science. I've coached kids who could hit 400 3's in a row. Unfortunately it was in their driveway in front of an empty folding chair or in an empty gym. When I had three kids who actually had a shot at the JC level, I started having them shoot 15 to 20 shots in a row off racks, while running full speed back and forth to the basket after each shot. World of difference in the results from just standing and taking shots and doing the "gooseneck MJ pose" after each shot. One of the three kids, who was actually the best natural shooter, dropped out of these extra practice sessions, because he saw that his results sucked when he had to shoot while essentially running suicides.

Again, none of this means **** to an NBA athlete. Trier's mom used to rebound for the kid while he hoisted up thousands of shots a day. Lin has old vids after Linsanity taking hundreds of shots a day in a an empty gym with a ball retrieval system, and then spending the rest of the day toasting people in pick up games. Shump had vids of essentially running half speed and taking mid range jumpers all day. We read endlessly about Lance (another Triple favorite ) shooting 500-600 shots a day.

The only practice that makes perfect is perfect practice.

And everyone (and their mother, obviously) can define 'perfect' differently.

I'm just hoping we have a meaningful decision made at the PG position BEFORE the actual games start.

You clearly have not watched the youtube videos this summer, Knicks never misss! What is your idea of perfect practice?

DSJr mechanics improvement

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy